The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa November 15th 2014

+73
MMaaxx
DaveM
wurzeldub
robbo277
George Carlin
MarcusHalberstram
glamorganalun
formerly known as Sam
kingraf
doctor_grey
thomh
protea438
tatterd
maestegmafia
GavinDragon
Duty281
sad_gimp
Manu's Boxing Coach
The Saint
jbeadlesbigrighthand
TightHEAD
trebellbobaggins
asoreleftshoulder
Breadvan
TJ
RDW
maverickmak
Hood83
Heaf
pbuk0
milkyboy
nobbled
stub
mystiroakey
Mr Bounce
Sgt_Pooly
bedfordwelsh
Chjw131
BamBam
beshocked
Pot Hale
Tiger/Chief
Mr Fishpaste
Bullsbok
dummy_half
Bathman_in_London
Pal Joey
yappysnap
Geordie
ChequeredJersey
englandglory4ever
Barney McGrew did it
HammerofThunor
hugehandoff
gregortree
Welly
Cumbrian
Poorfour
FecklessRogue
lostinwales
majesticimperialman
SecretFly
Taylorman
Notch
LondonTiger
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
quinsforever
fa0019
No 7&1/2
sensisball
Biltong
GunsGerms
Rugby Fan
77 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

England vs South Africa November 15th 2014 - Page 3 Empty England vs South Africa November 15th 2014

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 10 Nov 2014, 1:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Courtney Lawes is a doubt, since he is going through concussion protocols. That would see Kruis start and Kitchener on the bench, unless Lancaster wants to do something funky with Clark. Luther Burrell not in contention, and Stephen Myler still out with a hamstring problem. Haskell is there.

England team to face South Africa:

Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Anthony Watson (Bath)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath)
Jonny May (Gloucester)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton)
David Wilson (Bath)
Dave Attwood (Bath)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton)
Tom Wood (Northampton)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

Replacements

Rob Webber (Bath), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle), George Kruis (Saracens), Ben Morgan (Gloucester), Ben Youngs (Leicester), George Ford (Bath), Marland Yarde (Harlequins)

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux,
14 JP Pietersen,
13 Jan Serfontein,

12 Jean de Villiers,
11 Bryan Habana,
10 Pat Lambie,
9 Cobus Reinach,
8 Duane Vermeulen,
7 Schalk Burger,
6 Marcell Coetzee,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Jannie du Plessis,
2 Adriaan Strauss,
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements:

16 Bismarck du Plessis,
17 Trevor Nyakane,
18 Coenie Oosthuizen,
19 Bakkies Botha,
20 Teboho “Oupa” Mohoje,
21 Francois Hougaard,
22 Handré Pollard,
23 Cornal Hendricks

England have gone without a win in their last eleven Tests against the Springboks. Their best recent result was a draw in Port Elizabeth in June 2012. The match on Saturday will be almost eight years exactly since England's last victory. England have lost their last four Twickenham encounters.

This is the third time Lancaster has taken England through a round of Autumn Internationals. In 2012, his team beat New Zealand. In 2013, it was Australia. He has never beaten South Africa; his record reads one home loss, two away losses and one away draw.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa November 15th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs South Africa November 15th 2014

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:37 am

Not when you next best players are already injured Guns.

Bakkies is the next available but can he match Eben's intensity for 80 mins. The lock pairing would have an average age of 36.

Compare this to Lawes and Atwood.

Then we come to Coetzee's replacement. Schalk is the bench option but can't do 80 mins these days. That and a backrow of Mahoje, Schalk and Vermeulen would look a tad unbalanced and top heavy.
You would then be perhaps looking at Kriel to replace him (currently uncapped).

That for me given it intensifies the already large butcher's bill in the pack brings the impression it would be a very long day at the office.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa November 15th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs South Africa November 15th 2014

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

Well im expecting something like:

1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Wilson
4 Attwood
5 Kitchener / Kruis (If Lawes is unfit)
6 Wood
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

9 Care
10 Ford
11 Yarde
12 Farrell
13 Baritt
14 May
15 Brown

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:41 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
quinsforever wrote:both farrell and ford played alongside Joseph in the u20 RWC. maybe its time to give him a go.

Are you suggesting
10 Ford
12 Farrell
13 Joseph
no. was thinking
10 Ford/Farrell
12 Barritt
13 Joseph/Eastmond

Barritt seems more suited to 12 than 13 for me. does a good job for Saracens there.

and when injuries come back, i want to see Burrell at 12 and Manu at 13.

having Barritt at 13 makes england totally unthreatening in midfield and allows players to rush farrell with impunity.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:43 am

Is Dan Cole injured again?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:48 am

quinsforever wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
quinsforever wrote:both farrell and ford played alongside Joseph in the u20 RWC. maybe its time to give him a go.

Are you suggesting
10 Ford
12 Farrell
13 Joseph
no. was thinking
10 Ford/Farrell
12 Barritt
13 Joseph/Eastmond

Barritt seems more suited to 12 than 13 for me. does a good job for Saracens there.

and when injuries come back, i want to see Burrell at 12 and Manu at 13.

having Barritt at 13 makes england totally unthreatening in midfield and allows players to rush farrell with impunity.

Who of Joseph or Eastmond do you think would do a better job up against Serfontain, quins? In terms of both attack and defence?

Agree - the sooner big Manu and Burrell are back it will be a much more devastating combination.
I'd have Slammin' Sam (if he has to be there... and I think he should) somewhere in the forwards.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 10:57 am

Eastmond did fine against the All blacks made 9 tackles missed 1.

Compared to

Barritt made 14 missed 3 and Farrell made 7 missed 4.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:02 am

Eastmond is out isnt he....or is he available?

If he is the i would go

10 Ford
12 Barritt
13 Eastmond

12 and 13 rotating on relevant plays

I think Lancaster will play Ford at 10.

I also think he will play Farrell at 12 as that extra kicking option.

The queston then is does he play Eastmond or Barritt.

Knowing Lancaster it will be Barritt

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

The biggest issue is Coenie Oosthuizen if Jannie is not fit.

I would hve prefereed to see Redelinghuys

The injuries to our locks have decimated us all year, so whether you replace any of them it doesn't really matter because the best pairing should be young Etzebeth with FLip v d Merwe if you want physicality or Pieter Steph du Toit and Eben if you want mobility.

Stephan Lewies would be my other choice.

SO there isn't much you can do there if Etzebeth is injured as the best four locks in my opinion are not available

Mohoje needs to step up big time, most South African supporters believe he is a quota selection and I am beginning to think they have it right.

HIs work rate is way below par, and Burger certainly is not an 80 minute player anymore. but with so many injuries and the unwillingness of Meyer to select youngsters we have little choice there as well.

My selection would have been to put Coetzee at 7 and BUrger at 6, see how long he can last. Then bring on Kriel.

he halfback pairing deserves their shot.

JP PIetersen is an improvement on Hendricks who literally did nothing In the last test.

WHeter we will win is of course debatable, but with injuries and the selections Meyer refuses to make, that is what we have.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

Ford
Farrell
Barritt

vomit

Two average players out of position and one Test newbie with a Poopie-load of pressure on him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:14 am

Biltong wrote:The biggest issue is Coenie Oosthuizen if Jannie is not fit.

I would hve prefereed to see Redelinghuys

The injuries to our locks have decimated us all year, so whether you replace any of them it doesn't really matter because the best pairing should be young Etzebeth with FLip v d Merwe if you want physicality or Pieter Steph du Toit and Eben if you want mobility.

Stephan Lewies would be my other choice.

SO there isn't much you can do there if Etzebeth is injured as the best four locks in my opinion are not available

Mohoje needs to step up big time, most South African supporters believe he is a quota selection and I am beginning to think they have it right.

HIs work rate is way below par, and Burger certainly is not an 80 minute player anymore. but with so many injuries and the unwillingness of Meyer to select youngsters we have little choice there as well.

My selection would have been to put Coetzee at 7 and BUrger at 6, see how long he can last. Then bring on Kriel.

he halfback pairing deserves their shot.

JP PIetersen is an improvement on Hendricks who literally did nothing In the last test.

WHeter we will win is of course debatable, but with injuries and the selections Meyer refuses to make, that is what we have.

The thing is... BB who would you rather have at 6... Mahoje or Kolisi??? I'd have Kolisi every day. He's perhaps the best tackler in SA, had a great workrate and is a real athlete being able to support even players like Habana.

Problem is Meyer thinks he's too small for blindside at 6'1. He wants him at openside which has caused him to drop down the list and even off the Stormers front line. That's not his game.

Mahoje simply can't just hold onto the shirt. When you have guys like Alberts cutting wide chasm's into the opposition defences it shows what you need to do to get the jersey. He looks too pedestrian... not doing anything wrong, not doing anything interesting to say... hmm, selection worry when Alberts is fit.
When Schalk comes on at 60mins you know he puts his heart and soul into it like the crash test dummy he is.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

yappysnap wrote:Ford
Farrell
Barritt

vomit

Two average players out of position and one Test newbie with a Poopie-load of pressure on him.

Totally agree Yappy

But i just think Lancaster is so concerned with his template of defece, kicking etc.

If it was me i'd open it up.
You need some form of defesive leader in there...so Barritt would be in, plus he passed well on Saturday.

After that...open it up. Ford at 10, Eastmond at 12.
Eastmond tackled well on Saturday, and Ford has for Bath also in general so the defence whilst not a demolishion job is sound. But they offer so much more in attack.

England are predictable. Teams know what they will do.

Ford and Eastmond will mix that up. And im sure they will Bring Barritt in to the game more offensively also.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:35 am

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

10) Ford
 12) Barritt
 13) Joesph

TBH I don't mind losing if he actually tries to attack a team rather than try to just stop them scoring.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

Welly wrote:I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

10) Ford
 12) Barritt
 13) Joesph

TBH I don't mind losing if he actually tries to attack a team rather than try to just stop them scoring.

I think thats the general overriding feeling now Welly.
And similar to what Bracken is going on about on the other thread.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

Welly wrote:I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

10) Ford
 12) Barritt
 13) Joesph

That would be a decent midfield, it has creativity, pace and a solid defender too. Plus everyone is playing in the correct position.

I actually thought Barritt did pretty well against NZ, was solid in defence and threw a nice pass out to May for his try. He has to be at 12 though really for me.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

OK, BOK TEAM ANNOUNCED

15 Willie le Roux,
14 JP Pietersen,
13 Jan Serfontein,

12 Jean de Villiers,
11 Bryan Habana,
10 Pat Lambie,
9 Cobus Reinach,
8 Duane Vermeulen,
7 Schalk Burger,
6 Marcell Coetzee,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Jannie du Plessis,
2 Adriaan Strauss,
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements:

16 Bismarck du Plessis,
17 Trevor Nyakane,
18 Coenie Oosthuizen,
19 Bakkies Botha,
20 Teboho “Oupa” Mohoje,
21 Francois Hougaard,
22 Handré Pollard,
23 Cornal Hendricks

To me that is possible the best team we could put out considering circumstances.

Although I would like to have seen Kriel or WHiteley on the bench.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

Thought Ezebeth had man flu?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:00 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Thought Ezebeth had man flu?

We should be so lucky.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm

FA, referring to your above post.

I feel sorry for Kolisi, he has been made a bench player by Allistair Coetzee ths season and last season.

Kolisi for me is one of those blokes that needs game time, and he is not getting enough of it, If I was Kolisi I would go to another franchise where I could get more game time, the Cheetahs possibly as they have lost a lot of players again.

He won't get back his form unless he plays.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

I think its a mistake ala BB not put Kriel on the bench and no Bismarck makes no sense. Strauss getting rewarded for being an idiot whilst Bismarck gets punished for being the only man able to pinch a turnover.

With Coetzee struggling with his hamstring who is going to monitor the rucks?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

Why is Bismark considered inferior to both John Smit and latterly Strauss?

Id like to see England give Webber a start. And i also look forward to seeing big Keiron come on again.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

Meyer has been rotating Bismarck and Strauss for three years now, it has always worked so I see no problem with that.

His biggest problem with the two as been his timing of when he subs them.

As for Strauss' card, if you think he was an idiot then I am afraid we simply won't agree. His card was the luck of the draw, had Kearney made his attempt on WIllie then, he would have copped a card, it happens when you have a referee like Poite.

Bismarck gives away as many silly penalties as Strauss.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

Strauss is a blow hard. all gusto, no brains. Easy to deal with for any team of strength. Bissie on the other hand is like a hawk. He's the ultimate dog of war and simply wins games. He'd be the first player on my teamsheet, to be honest he'd be my captain.

Smit was a great player in his day, his leadership by the end was deemed greater than the positional attributes of the next best man... similar to Carling in the latter years of his reign.

However around 08-11 Bissie was the best hooker in the world, we all know PDV was loco for refusing to retire Smit but that's history.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

Do you expect a victory then Bilts

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

Biltong wrote:Meyer has been rotating Bismarck and Strauss for three years now, it has always worked so I see no problem with that.

As for Strauss' card, if you think he was an idiot then I am afraid we simply won't agree. His card was the luck of the draw, had Kearney made his attempt on WIllie then, he would have copped a card, it happens when you have a referee like Poite.

The difference is in the sort of penalties BB

Bismarck is the boks primary ruck operator. Most teams have a few but the boks only have Bissie and Louw/Coetzee.

England for instance have Cole, Robshaw, Wood, Marler, Launchbury who are all well respected ruck operators.

Ruck operators play in the grey areas of the game. You have to give away some penalties if you're going to pinch ball. You will never win anything if you stay completely legit. McCaw gives away a lot of penalties for instance.

Strauss gives away penalties for stupid things, high tackles, late tackles, dropped scrums, offsides the lot. He is a tool IMO, talented but brainless.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Do you expect a victory then Bilts

If you look at our season you will understand why I have no idea what to expect. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Biltong wrote:Meyer has been rotating Bismarck and Strauss for three years now, it has always worked so I see no problem with that.

Bismarck is the boks primary ruck operator. Most teams have a few but the boks only have Bissie and Louw/Coetzee.

England for instance have Cole, Robshaw, Wood, Marler, Launchbury who are all well respected ruck operators.

Ruck operators play in the grey areas of the game. You have to give away some penalties if you're going to pinch ball. You will never win anything if you stay completely legit. McCaw gives away a lot of penalties for instance.

Strauss gives away penalties for stupid things, high tackles, late tackles, dropped scrums, offsides the lot. He is a tool IMO, talented but brainless.

No mate, Bismarck gives away the same silly penalties Strauss does, they are to a tee both penalty magnets.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:45 pm

England look like only making the enforced change of Watson for Roko, with Yarde promoted to the bench. Haskell retained with the squad to cover for Wood who has a niggle.

Sounds as though Lawes and Hartley have cleared the concussion protocols and will be available.

As for Bilt's comment above, it's going to be an interesting match as neither set of fans has a clear idea of what to expect.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

Billtong, I see the half backs have become the fall guys for the Ireland defeat. Do you think that this will be a big knock to young Pollard's confidence?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

Guns I don't think they are seen as the fall guys, maybe you could argue that is the case, but I think Lambie and Reinach was going to start against one of the two teams and Meyer is testing his combinations as he suggested before the tour these two pairings have the inside line.

Fourie du Preez is likely still his number one halfback though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:02 pm

Meyer had said Lambie was going to start at some point alright but the presumption was that Pollard was the first choice OH. Assuming that he is and given SA/NZ and Oz's tendancy to take England more seriously that all other NH teams surely Meyer would have originally intended starting Pollard v England especially since Lambie hasnt started a match in the last few games. Thats how I see it anyway. Meyer will definitely be putting another spin on it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

Biltong wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

No mate, Bismarck gives away the same silly penalties Strauss does, they are to a tee both penalty magnets.

Strauss is marginally more disciplined than Bissie and while not as physical he does run a few good lines . Would have preferred Bismarck starting , but its not that much of a difference as he'll provide backup power when we need it most in the last 30min so no biggy . Schalk for Mohojo good call , Schalks getting on a bit but when he plays he brings a 100% especially against the English . As for halfbacks angel glad to see Meyer is not as blue as some of you accuse him to be . He dropped his golden boys when they failed to perform which is what a coach should do . I doubt Pollard would have been benched if the Boks won last week , seeing as this is the biggest game of the tour for us . If Pollard was the starter v NZ he was most definitely meant to start this game with Lambie most likely starting vs Wales and Italy but Meyers hand was forced . At the back JPP for Cornal good call , JPP brings in some badly needed size and mongrel in the backline and no one will be bouncing him in the tackle
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:08 pm

Problem with Meyer is his lip talk.

If you asked him the question directly his answer will most likely refer to Pollard being fantastic and Lambie being fantastic, and he is rotating players.

Even if he does see Pollard as the fall guy he will never admit to it because everyone Is fantastic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Biltong wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Strauss is marginally more disciplined than Bissie and while not as physical he does run a few good lines . Would have preferred Bismarck starting , but its not that much of a difference as he'll provide backup power when we need it most in the last 30min so no biggy . Schalk for Mohojo good call , Schalks getting on a bit but when he plays he brings a 100% especially against the English . As for halfbacks angel glad to see Meyer is not as blue as some of you accuse him to be . He dropped his golden boys when they failed to perform which is what a coach should do . I doubt Pollard would have been benched if the Boks won last week , seeing as this is the biggest game of the tour for us . If Pollard was the starter v NZ he was most definitely meant to start this game with Lambie most likely starting vs Wales and Italy but Meyers hand was forced . At the back JPP for Cornal good call , JPP brings in some badly needed size and mongrel in the backline and no one will be bouncing him in the tackle

I agree with most of what you said, but I think in the conditions in the NH Meyer wants to see who is suited better between Pollard and Lambie. Pollard is definitely in he poll position in dry conditions.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

So its prety much (so long as Englands doubts are passed fit)

8 Duane Vermeulen,
7 Schalk Burger,
6 Marcell Coetzee,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Jannie du Plessis,
2 Adriaan Strauss,
1 Tendai Mtawarira

vs
1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Wilson
4 Attwood
5 Lawes
6 Wood
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

Who edges it....

Attwood v Ezebeth could be an earthquake.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

You are hardly going to tell a 20 year old guy, particularly an out half that they are being dropped because they had a bad game.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

Biltong wrote:Problem with Meyer is his lip talk.

If you asked him the question directly his answer will most likely refer to Pollard being fantastic and Lambie being fantastic, and he is rotating players.

Even if he does see Pollard as the fall guy he will never admit to it because everyone Is fantastic.

Do you want him to publicly shatter his rookie flyhalves confidence? Meyer keeps things in-house and i dont blame him . That same policy is probably why we dont here him talking shyte about the refs when they mess up .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:So its prety much (so long as Englands doubts are passed fit)

8 Duane Vermeulen,
7 Schalk Burger,
6 Marcell Coetzee,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Jannie du Plessis,
2 Adriaan Strauss,
1 Tendai Mtawarira

vs
1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Wilson
4 Attwood
5 Lawes
6 Wood
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

Who edges it....

It is going to be very interesting to see who wins the set phases and who wins the breakdown.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

i think England's pack just shades it for me. strong, cohesive and very mobile. set pieces might slightly favour SA, but i think open play England's forwards have a slight edge.

It's once the ball leaves the forwards that my confidence falls sharpy.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

Biltong wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:So its prety much (so long as Englands doubts are passed fit)

8 Duane Vermeulen,
7 Schalk Burger,
6 Marcell Coetzee,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Jannie du Plessis,
2 Adriaan Strauss,
1 Tendai Mtawarira

vs
1 Marler
2 Hartley
3 Wilson
4 Attwood
5 Lawes
6 Wood
7 Robshaw
8 Vunipola

Who edges it....

It is going to be very interesting to see who wins the set phases and who wins the breakdown.

I think England have the scrum advantage and Boks lineout advantage . Breakdown will be the interesting one neither teams have out and out fetcher (although Thormuelen isnt half bad ) but the england loose trio is a tad more settled
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

It's once the ball leaves the forwards that my confidence falls sharpy..

Yup im with ya there Quin.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:22 pm

quinsforever wrote:i think England's pack just shades it for me. strong, cohesive and very mobile. set pieces might slightly favour SA, but i think open play England's forwards have a slight edge.

NOt sure how you can make that summation.

Strauss, Etzebeth, Matfield (surprisingly still), Coetzee, Burger and Vermeulen are all mobile, Even Beast is quite mobile, you may edge it in raw pace, but other than that the only summation that I might consider at this point.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm

Biltong wrote:
quinsforever wrote:i think England's pack just shades it for me. strong, cohesive and very mobile. set pieces might slightly favour SA, but i think open play England's forwards have a slight edge.

NOt sure how you can make that summation.

Strauss, Etzebeth, Matfield (surprisingly still), Coetzee, Burger and Vermeulen are all mobile, Even Beast is quite mobile, you may edge it in raw pace, but other than that the only summation that I might consider at this point.

Standard procedure for bringing down Vermuelen in particular is 4 tacklers . One to be bounced off and Three to bring him down like a pack of lions bringing down a wildebeest after he picks up his 5 meters Very Happy
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

Nice touch, Bulls. I like it. You've just furnished us with perhaps the best weapon for analysing and subduing the Boks. Wildlife documentaries!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:31 pm

I think it was the 2nd test on the last tour (2012 ?) when the Bokke pack beasted England in open play for an extended period.Impressively brutal go forward ball in hand. Although Boks ran out of gas from the intensity, and England managed to shore up their defence to their credit. Boks won. Score ? anyone with a better memory ?

Ever since that test I have felt that is where England are vulnerable vs RSA. The one SH team England have not figured out a way to beat in recent memory.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:Nice touch, Bulls.  I like it.  You've just furnished us with perhaps the best weapon for analysing and subduing the Boks.  Wildlife documentaries!

One thing that may mislead you, tranquiliser darts work on Rhinos but not on Vermeulen. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

gregortree wrote:I think it was the 2nd test on the last tour (2012 ?) when the Bokke pack beasted England in open play for an extended period.Impressively brutal go forward ball in hand. Although Boks ran out of gas from the intensity, and England managed to shore up their defence to their credit. Boks won. Score ? anyone with a better memory ?

Ever since that test I have felt that is where England are vulnerable vs RSA. The one SH team England have not figured out a way to beat in recent memory.

The socres weren't that far apart, by memory it was around 25-19?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm

Biltong wrote:
gregortree wrote:I think it was the 2nd test on the last tour (2012 ?) when the Bokke pack beasted England in open play for an extended period.Impressively brutal go forward ball in hand. Although Boks ran out of gas from the intensity, and England managed to shore up their defence to their credit. Boks won. Score ? anyone with a better memory ?

Nah, I checked, 36-27, was still close though
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:37 pm

Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Nah, I checked, 36-27, was still close though

The big player missing from that team is Willem Alberts . Louw is instrumental yes but Alberts is the player we miss the most .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:41 pm

thanks Biltong, probably also out biggest defeat vs RSA since.. well... no I'm not going to say it.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:42 pm

So the lions bring down the wildebeast....

The problem is that then the Hyenas come and chase the lions away.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next