The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+16
freemo
LondonTiger
thegooch7
Voice of the Beehive
JDizzle
Carrotdude
kingdaveeagle
SimonofSurrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
king_carlos
Shelsey93
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
20 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 7 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by guildfordbat Sun 13 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Smith was back in this country today - and at Anfield to watch Liverpool beat Man City! That's nice for him. Now, I'm not suggesting he should spend his days off picking up litter in the Lock Stand at the Oval but it is important he starts to deliver for the club paying handsomely for his services.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 7 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

Olly wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:In slightly bizarre news, Darren Gough thinks Batty should be England's spinner for the ashes. Thinks he is the best spinner in the country....

I didn't realise Corporal opened the bar early this week... guinness cider

Not sure whether Laugh or Erm is in order at this news.  Maybe this explains the way Batty is managing his own spinning workload in recent weeks.  Doesn't want to get crocked before the big England recall. Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 24 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

Surrey seconds on top against Glam.  Solanki scored a big hundred (191) in a mammoth Surrey total of 575 - 5 declared. Balcome - on his comeback - and the Burger Van each took three inexpensive wickets as Glam were bowled out cheaply for 159 in their first innings. Following on Glam doing much better.

Despite stronger resistance by Glam second time round Surrey won the match by an innings.  The Burger Van took another three wickets in the second innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:04 pm

Sibley had figures of 10 overs five for 68 in a second XI 50 overs match against Somerset yesterday.  Wonder whether SimonofSurrey might approve of that analysis... Wink Unfortunately Surrey got crushed in that match.  The Burger Van (10 overs three wickets for 43) was the only Surrey bowler to stem the flow of Somerset runs....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Sibley had figures of 10 overs five for 68 in a second XI 50 overs match against Somerset yesterday.  Wonder whether SimonofSurrey might approve of that analysis... Wink Unfortunately Surrey got crushed in that match.  The Burger Van (10 overs three wickets for 43) was the only Surrey bowler to stem the flow of Somerset runs....

Absolutely thumbsup Shame the other bowlers apparently couldn't seal the deal by taking the other 5 wickets cheaply enough: 5-68 in my book should pave the way to chasing under 200. Call it the Simon Theory of one day cricket - if you don't take wickets, nowadays sides are going to rack up huge scores.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 01 Jul 2015, 3:18 pm

Balcombe injured again Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:04 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Balcombe injured again  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I saw he only bowled 4 legitimate balls but still managed to concede 5 extras (guessing no balls)! Do you know any details of the latest injury, JimBob? Cheers.

Meanwhile, in better news another threefer for the Burger Van - that might just get him a game tomorrow night and see the Corporal opening the bar early in celebration! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

As mentioned on the general Div 2 thread, rain yesterday saved Lancs (otherwise known as Kolpak CCC - nice one, Olly!).

For selfish Surrey reasons, I'm not too concerned about that. Probably better that Lancs get 5 points for the draw and edge a bit further ahead of us than Northants get 16 points for the win and start to breathe down our neck. Glamorgan are enough of a threat already and we don't want another team joining them.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:32 am

No current Surrey match. All media attention understandably focused on the opening Ashes Test. However, worth us Surrey boys keeping half an eye on how Glamorgan get on at Derbys today. Day 3 - moving day. Could well be very important to our promotion aims ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

Derby promptly collapse against Glam; already lost three wickets inside first hour as well as taking time out for rain break.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

Derbys 185/6, needing 76 more to avoid the follow on. If, as likely, they fail to do that, Glam should be looking at another win ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:46 pm

Derbys all out and fail to avoid the follow on. Expect a Glam win tomorrow. Not good news at all.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 09 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

Derbys 86/2, trailing by 82. Both wickets to Salter, the young Glamorgan offie I liked when I saw him at Guildford.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 09 Jul 2015, 1:19 pm

Derbys get to lunch trailing by 38 but with 8 wickets still left. As the Corporal posted last night on the Div 2 thread, Derbys are going to have to bat well into the final session if they are to deny Glam the win ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 12 Jul 2015, 11:58 am

Surrey 2nd XI beat Middlesex seconds in a high scoring 50 over match on Friday.  A few points of interest...

Sibley (again) had an analysis to make Simon drool! Coming on as Surrey's seventh bowler his figures were 6.5 overs, 6 for 58! Shocked

The match also saw the return of Dernbach, and Balcome bowled 3 (expensive) overs.  The Burger Van had a less successful outing than usual of recent times.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm

In former Surrey player news, Jack Winslade took 5/32 off 8 overs for Essex 2nd XI as they also beat Middlesex seconds last week.

I'm not sure what sort of contract/arrangement he was with Essex but he's been playing quite regularly for their seconds. I saw him bowling on the outfield at the Oval with the Essex coaching staff one lunchtime when we played them earlier in the season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 12 Jul 2015, 10:15 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Sibley (again) had an analysis to make Simon drool! Coming on as Surrey's seventh bowler his figures were 6.5 overs, 6 for 58! Shocked

Wow - not many dot balls in there, were there!

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 12 Jul 2015, 10:16 pm

He seems like he's a "makes things happen" kinda bowler - boom or bust, hit or miss (cliche city)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 16 Jul 2015, 9:46 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

9, 10, 11. 3 of Dunn, Meaker, Curran, Tremlett, Linley, Balcombe and Dernbach
- Who will be first choices from the battalion of seamers?

And now we have Australian Moises Henriques for the t20s and as overseas replacement in all formats for Sanga when the Sri Lankan is on Test duty. Doesn't look as if the battalion is ever going to be light!

Did hear recently though that Linley is recuperating from a knee op and would be unlikely to be ready for the start of the season. Truth be told and much as I love his attitude, I think that even a fully firing Viscount has some way to go to claim a first team place.

Just reminding myself about our discussions at the start of the season about the battery of seamers.  Turns out we had none too many:

Tremlett - mostly crocked
Dernbach - crocked most the season - attempting comeback now
Balcombe - crocked
Dunn - crocked (after good availibility earlier in season)
Viscount - has been crocked at times, but appears to be a bit of a choice of last resort at the moment
Meaker - appears to be badly out of form/favour, though has played quite often for 2nds
Henriques - crocked
Kapil - his batting has been good for the seconds, but he has not made much impact with bowling.

We'd better make sure Tom and Sam Curran don't travel in the same car/plane!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 Jul 2015, 10:46 pm

Here's one for you Surrey statisticians - could you tell me a couple of things...

Where does Sam Curran rank on youngest players to make their debut?

and

Where does he rank on the honours board of wickets on debut?

I presume he'd be the youngest Surrey bowler to take a 5-for....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 Jul 2015, 11:46 pm

Olly - Sam Curran is the second youngest player on debut for Surrey. The youngest was the late Tony Lock who made his debut at the age of 17 years 8 days in 1946. Lock was a left arm slow bowler who went on to be an England regular - probably best known for taking ''the other wicket'' when Jim Laker got his 19 against Australia.

I don't know but would reckon that Sam Curran's eight match wickets is the biggest haul for Surrey on debut. [Matt Dunn took a fivefer on (CC) debut when he replaced Jade Dernbach during a match away to Derbys in 2011. I believe Dunn was then only the second Surrey player to do so and the first was donkeys' years before that. However, Dunn's fivefer was in the second innings and followed a nil return in the first innings (he only bowled a small handful of overs first dig as Derbys were almost all out when he he was called in).]

I don't believe Lock took a fivefer early in his Surrey career (it took him a couple of years to establish himself in the side) and so it stands to reason that Curran is the youngest Surrey bowler to do so.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 19 Jul 2015, 9:18 pm

Alright guys, 

Thinking of coming to the crunch t20 game Friday night. Just wondering where's good for visiting fans tend to sit. When I went to lords it seemed to be the Compton stand.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 20 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm

Looks like Glamorgan's hopes of closing the gap on the top two in CC2 might be taking a possibly decisive knock - they're 157/6 in reply to Lancs' 698/5 declared.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm

Irritatingly, my bowling hot tip Salter (who has done very little with the ball since) has just delivered with the bat and taken Glam to their second batting point. They're currently 250 odd/8.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 12:51 pm

Meanwhile, remember slow left armer Gary Keedy? One of Adams' last signings and, in keeping with most, pretty unsuccessful. He's now player-physio (nice unusual combo that!) at Notts and is playing his first match of this season, away to Sussex at Horsham. His first innings analysis: 23-11-45-3. As Churchy would say, ''proper bowling''. Shame he didn't do it more for us.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

Burger Van currently facing Winslade in 2nd XI match between Surrey and Essex. Very Happy

....and Winslade dismissed Burger Van for 66, (which was top score for Surrey).

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

Thanks for those updates, Corporal. I appreciate JDizzle - who normally knows his onions - wouldn't buy anything off the Burger Van based on Durham Uni cricketing days. However, he's put in some decent performances for the seconds pretty consistently this season.

Pleased to see Winslade end up with 2/35. The second wicket always gives such a more respectable look to a bowler's analysis! Hope it helps him get an Essex contract.

Meanwhile, Keedy got a couple more wickets second dig as Sussex crumbled to Notts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 6:27 pm

Corporal - meant to also say, odd that Dernbach isn't involved with the seconds this week?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 7:05 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Alright guys, 

Thinking of coming to the crunch t20 game Friday night. Just wondering where's good for visiting fans tend to sit. When I went to lords it seemed to be the Compton stand.

Hi Nick - I don't know if the type of ticket will restrict you much (obviously you won't be allowed in the members' pavilion) but, if not, you might want to consider the smallish Laker or Lock stands. Neither are too noisy but they are close to the general concourse where all the beer and food stalls are. Go to the upper part of those stands for a better view. If you are looking for noise and beer snakes, go to the lower areas in any of the bigger stands.

Think you were also asking about nearby pubs. Could do worse than the Beehive in Durham Street, just a stone's throw away. Always busy - buzzing, in fact! Very Happy - but good atmosphere with good staff.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Thanks for those updates, Corporal. I appreciate JDizzle - who normally knows his onions - wouldn't buy anything off the Burger Van based on Durham Uni cricketing days. However, he's put in some decent performances for the seconds pretty consistently this season.

Every time I keep banging on about how terrible he is, he keeps taking wickets and scoring runs!

In all serious though, there must be a reason he doesn't get a go in the first XI? Do Surrey also doubt his ability to make the step up, because his pure statistics have certainly deserved a go. What's his contract situation too? I think I remember hearing he signed a one year deal last year... Still on that contract?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Jul 2015, 10:23 pm

No great surprise that Burger Van hasn't played when Surrey have two spinners ahead of him, one of whom is captain and the other a key all rounder....  I'm assuming that when he has been called up to the first team squad on several recent occasions this has mainly been to signal to him that he is not far off a place and to give him a taste of the atsmosphere etc.  

I believe he is only contracted until the end of this season, but I'd have thought it a near certainty that he would be offered a further contract in recognition of his solid record for the 2nd XI.  Given the general scarcity of spinners I suppose it's conceivable he might be poached by another county, but a more likely scenario is that he would get some first team game time later this season, eg in the 50 over competition, and maybe reminded pointedly that Norah is nearly 38.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Hi JD - very much agree with the Corporal. I would add that IF we achieve promotion this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Burger Van going out on loan next year to a Division 2 county in order to get some Championship games under his belt.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jul 2015, 8:24 am

guildfordbat wrote:Hi JD - very much agree with the Corporal. I would add that IF we achieve promotion this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Burger Van going out on loan next year to a Division 2 county in order to get some Championship games under his belt.

Given the going over Lancs are giving Glam, we should be about 30+ points clear in 2nd place by close tonight. And Glam have to play Lancs again - as do we. Nothing is certain yet but, without wishing to tempt fate, it would take a very disappointing downward turn in form or a series of seriously rain affected fixtures for either of the top two to be caught now.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

Currently raining in Colwyn Bay and there's not going to be any play this morning.

Could Glam escape with a draw and the 5 points that go with it? If so, besides much of the blame going to Simon, a fair bit of credit should also be given to their tail digging in yesterday and keeping the game going. More than anything, I was impressed with Glam's resilience and determination when I saw them at Guildford.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm

Simon may be relieved to know that after an early lunch at Colwyn Bay play is due to start at 1 o'clock.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:17 pm

Glam subside quickly after the resumption to leave them trailing Surrey by 36 points.  They still remain the closest challenger to the top two, as Essex were crushed in three days by Kent.  Things can change quickly, but looking good at the moment.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

Burger Van has obviously got the right recipe.  His latest figures are 20 overs 5 wickets for 64 in Essex 2nd XI first innings. (This included dismissing Winslade for a duck)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

Nice to see that someone else was frustrated yesterday by Glamorgan's fantastic wagging (but this time Wagg-less) tail, but that it wasn't enough to get them the dodgiest of draws today.

An before anyone (ie guildford) asks, yes I would consider Burger Van's 5-64 in another context to be a decent 50 over game return; but a tad expensive - despite the wickets - for T20. Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

balcombe 1 over for 25 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:balcombe 1 over for 25 picard

JimBob - you beat me to it! 11 of those runs were due to no balls and wides. Each no ball costs 2 runs but still completely unacceptable. He took 2/46 off 9 overs in the first innings; better although he still gave away 14 runs then with no balls and wides. Very worrying.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:18 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Alright guys, 

Judging by the weather forecast for tomorrow I think there's a simple answer: anywhere that's under cover!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:50 pm

Kapil and Green scored centuries for 2nd XI today, against Gloucs.  Both seem in pretty good form with the bat, so we do have a range of batting options if need be for the first team. Tremlett, coming back (again) from injury opened the bowling, when Gloucs batted for a few overs this evening, alongside the Viscount.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

Surrey 2nd XI probably going to lose heavily to Middlesex.  But Freddie the Burger Van takes 5 -31.  He really is having an excellent season with the ball.  clap If Surrey do manage to clinch promotion early it would be ideal to give the Berger Van a spin in the last cc match or two.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 11 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

"Surrey 2nd XI probably going to lose heavily to Middlesex."

Indeed. And to think that, just a few weeks ago, we would have been delighted to report our Seconds are playing just like Australia Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Aug 2015, 5:24 pm

Announced today that the Baron has signed a two year deal keeping him at the Oval until the end of 2017. That's good for us and much deserved for a hugely popular player.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 27 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm

At the moment Harold and Stuart Thompson (Surrey 2nd XI) are batting together for Ireland against Australia in the ODI! Thompson has just hit Maxwell for 2 6s in an over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

Freddie van den Bergh (aka the Burger Van) has been awarded a further two year parking space. Wink  clap  Well justified by the consistency of his performances in the 2nd XI.

I am still hopeful that he will make an appearance in the cc this season - and especially if/when Surrey clinch promotion. (The way we are batting in the first innings against Derby suggests we may not clinch promotion in this round of matches.)

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting spelling #standards)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:02 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Freddie van den Burgh (aka the Burger Van) has been awarded a further two year parking space. Wink  clap  Well justified by the consistency of his performances in the 2nd XI

raspberry

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:10 pm

JDizzle wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Freddie van den Bergh (aka the Burger Van) has been awarded a further two year parking space. Wink  clap  Well justified by the consistency of his performances in the 2nd XI

raspberry

JDizzle - I thought you'd be pleased. Very Happy  Freddie studied at Durham Uni - so he is bound to be good! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm

I am just upset that he keeps making my predictions of his ineptitude look ridiculous! Laugh

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 05 Sep 2015, 2:14 pm

Atapattu has resigned as Sri Lanka coach. I fear that Ford may be seen as a strong candidate for that role.... Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next