The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP)

+12
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Submachine
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Sin é
Higher_Ground
wolfball
wayne
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
The Saint
GunsGerms
16 posters

Go down

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Empty Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP)

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:16 pm

Great news for Keith Wood, Harlequins and Irish rugby.

Here's the full list of the latest inductees, including the first ever women (6) to be inducted

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/New-IRB-Hall-of-Fame-members-20141118
http://www.worldrugby.org/news/36184

Nathalie Amiel (France),
Gill Burns (England),
Carol Isherwood (England),
Patty Jervey (USA),
Anna Richards (New Zealand),
Farah Palmer (New Zealand),

Keith Rowlands (Wales),
JPR Williams (Wales),
Ieuan Evans (Wales),
Jim Greenwood (Scotland),
Michael Lynagh (Australia),
Jo Maso (France),
Keith Wood (Ireland),
Jason Leonard (England)
Bill Beaumont (England).

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Empty Re: Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP)

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm

Newest Wales hater on the block in the IRB hall of fame, just what we needed. Hope to god he just never commentates during a Wales game again.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Empty Re: Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP)

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

What did he say, Saint?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:15 pm

Wales aren't the best term on the world.ergo hater

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm

Where is the I.R.B. based now?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:27 pm

SecretFly wrote:What did he say, Saint?

The whole tweeting thing before and after the Lions final game, and the 80mins of biased anti-welsh commentary during the Aus game. Good news for him to be in the IRB hall of fame though I guess. How many Irish players are in now?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

The Saint wrote:

The whole tweeting thing before and after the Lions final game, and the 80mins of biased anti-welsh commentary during the Aus game. Good news for him to be in the IRB hall of fame though I guess. How many Irish players are in now?

Don't know about players, the award covers more than Individual players.  

But entries - 7.  Up until this year, they had the same number as Wales on 6.  But the Welsh protested that Keith Wood (Wales Hater) got one so they were given three to keep them quiet.  Wink

Didn't work Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

wayne wrote:Where is the I.R.B. based now?

In the city of Dublin, which has newly been acquired by Switzerland in a shady but profitable tax haven dodge that the rest of Europe don't know about yet.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

The Saint wrote:

Criticism = Hate... well you learn something new everyday Rolling Eyes

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Don't know about players, the award covers more than Individual players.  

But entries - 7.  Up until this year, they had the same number as Wales on 6.  But the Welsh protested that Keith Wood (Wales Hater) got one so they were given three to keep them quiet.  Wink

Didn't work Whistle

Damn it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:44 pm

BTW, I'm glad Welsh people can at least understand Keith's 80 minutes of biased anti-Welsh bile.  Me, I can never hear what that man says!
Wood, up the volume please so that when I want to hear what you say I can!
But I usually don't, so you're fine at the volume you're at Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:35 am

Doesn't really bother me, but he does have a less than thinly-veiled contempt for Gatland, and by extension, his team.
Don't think he has anything against Wales in general.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Higher_Ground wrote:Doesn't really bother me, but he does have a less than thinly-veiled contempt for Gatland, and by extension, his team.
Don't think he has anything against Wales in general.

Woody oganised the coup to get rid of Gatland from Ireland.

I thought Woody was inducted into some sort of a Hall of Fame in 2004?

Can't understand how Tom Kiernan isn't in it.

54 caps for Ireland (24 as captain)
5 Lions Caps (Captain)
Munster coach for win over All Blacks
And as an Administrator, it was his idea to set up the Heineken Cup. First chairman of ERC.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

I always get these two things confused:

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Potato10  Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Keith_10

Keith Wood      A big, shiny potato
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:05 am

As a player a complete legend, and thoroughly deserving of his place in the IRB Hall of Fame. A good technical hooker as well as an excellent ball player in the loose. Loved carrying the ball and a maniac at the contact area. The best NH hooker of my lifetime.

He spouts complete inarticulate nonsense as a pundit, but that's not what this is about.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

I have nothing against Wales.  But like everyone who has done a few decades in sport - and watched a few decades of competitive rivalry............... I can remember every Welsh player who has sneered an Irish one or inferred a superior, dismissive attitude; and to this day, I wouldn't be gone on them.  It does stick.  You know it's only a 'sporting dislike' - it's in no way deep and spiteful - but it does linger.

It's why I've always had a lot of time for Martin Williams, Jamie Roberts, and especially Mike Phillips, who backs up BOD in a fight Wink - but who more importantly always spoke nothing but respect for Irish players (and he was the very divil who was involved in the ballboy number and loved it!  But still, I like him.)  
But a few of their colleagues - as young confident rascals - once gave a very dissmissive reading of 'old' Irish players and the 'threat' they posed.  I won't name names but I remembered those words right through their careers, and whilst I could respect their skills... I never minded seeing them getting knocked backwards every now and again. Wink

So I understand where Welsh fans come from with Wood and probably a few more Irish players too.  As I'd hope they then can appreciate where Wood is coming from, and where many Irish people came from on the BODgate episode.  We're all sensitive to national insults.  We all have Elephant memories.  We know it's just the fun of sport - but it doesn't stop us enjoying placing a boot in when we get the chance to let folks know the rivalries ain't forgotten.

Meanwhile Gats and Ireland had 'history' long before he became popular in Wales.  So, the Welsh shouldn't take it all too personally - it's just some of us think Gats never left the battle with IRFU behind him and likes sinking his boot in whenever he gets an opportunity too Wink

Last edited by SecretFly on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:09 am

George Carlin wrote:I always get these two things confused:

Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Potato10  Keith Wood inducted into the IRB hall of fame. Other inductees updated too (thanks PP) Keith_10

The potato speaks louder and has more interesting things to say...especially about the Famine, but he never shuts the hell up about that one!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

George Carlin wrote:I always get these two things confused:

There are two things here?  Seriously?!  It's just Keith Wood with and without a scarf, right???  Maybe I'm not seeing it right...

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:51 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:As a player a complete legend, and thoroughly deserving of his place in the IRB Hall of Fame. A good technical hooker as well as an excellent ball player in the loose. Loved carrying the ball and a maniac at the contact area. The best NH hooker of my lifetime.

He spouts complete inarticulate nonsense as a pundit, but that's not what this is about.

Inarticulate? Really? He is a fairly articulate guy however, he does ramble and talk horse sometimes.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:56 am

In all seriousness though, Wood has always been one of my favourite players.  At his peak he may have been my favourite player around, including in Wales.  There's something magical about a front row forward with a bit of pace and the ability to (sort of) side step.  A front row forward in full flight is a thing to behold!  Always a pleasure watching him for Ireland and the Lions.

In terms of what he says now he's a pundit - I zone out to be honest.  They all spout slightly biased stuff - that's why they're there as pundits, i.e. to get the Welsh/Irish/French/English/Italian view.  Don't tell me Nicky Little was drafted in to the punditry team on Saturday for his journalistic skills and superb analytical skills!  But it's when they become full blown commentators that the lines become blurred (a la Eddie Butler) - then the bias is unavoidable.  But biased pundits - yeah why not?!  Those subjectivities give the commentary its 'colour'.  In the 6N they often try to balance it with the main commentator from one nation playing and the co-commentator from another (e.g. Butler and Moore for Wales v England; Cotter and Jiffy for Wales v Scotland, etc.). But it gets messy in the UK and Ireland where they (wrongly) assume that we all pull together as buddies, put Jiffy in as the Wales/UK representative when Wales play NZ, have no NZ commentator (obviously), and then Scottish/Irish/English fans complain about the biased commentary.  Same for Irvine if he's with Cotter, for example, on an SA game, etc., etc.  But that's more to do with our messed up 'kingdom' and shared television.

Anyway, I'm rambling now.  Time for a coffee...

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

Inarticulate.  Perhaps wrong word.  Not saying much of note might be a better way to describe it.  
But then, what panellists on the BBC have time to say anything of note?  All they ever get, any of them, is soundbyte time.  A few cliched phrases and time regimentally controlled by fussy directors who have to give fair time to everything that moves - including a leering fan who might bore a hole in the glass and demand his fan opinion.

But some panellists even with the brief soundbyte time they get, get to say more interesting things, or funny things, or snuffily opinionated things than Wood.  He's just too bland for his own good.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:As a player a complete legend, and thoroughly deserving of his place in the IRB Hall of Fame. A good technical hooker as well as an excellent ball player in the loose. Loved carrying the ball and a maniac at the contact area. The best NH hooker of my lifetime.

He redefined the role of a hooker. He was first world player of the year.

Watch this video. I don't think i've ever seen such a long video of highlights for a hooker before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZwFGu7ngo

Some boot on him. Only thing he couldn't do was throw straight! Think it might have something to do with having a frozen shoulder.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

The Saint wrote:Newest Wales hater on the block in the IRB hall of fame, just what we needed. Hope to god he just never commentates during a Wales game again.

Nah man. There have to be many more on board since Woody joined the club. Wink

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

Why?
He was a good footballer but not much else,he won nothing of note i.e. a world cup or broke a try scoring record.
God the IRB LOVE!!! the Irish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Why?
He was a good footballer but not much else,he won nothing of note i.e. a world cup or broke a try scoring record.

Won a Lions Series (v SA in 1997). He won the first World Player of the Year Award Wink

Most tries for a hooker in international rugby (15) Sean Fitzpatrick has 12. Scored a couple of hatricks as well internationally. Scored 4 tries in the one game at a world cup which is also a record I think.  Smile

I take it you would not approve of Richard Tsimba or Ian Campbell being in the Hall of Fame then?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

God, sin........................ sometimes you do things beautifully Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

Sin é wrote:

Won a Lions Series (v SA in 1997). He won the first World Player of the Year Award Wink

Most tries for a hooker in international rugby (15) Sean Fitzpatrick has 12. Scored a couple of hatricks as well internationally. Scored 4 tries in the one game at a world cup which is also a record I think.  Smile

I take it you would not approve of Richard Tsimba or Ian Campbell being in the Hall of Fame then?
In my eyes players can't count Lions series ,Lions rugby is about team work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:13 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:
Sin é wrote:

and that differs to ordinary international rugby how Headscratch Is other rugby not about team work?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

Sin é wrote:

How many Welsh players honoured? How many world cups?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:26 pm

It's different, coz we r Welsh see!

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

How many Welsh players honoured?  How many world cups?
Wales zero world cups, every Welsh player mentioned earned it because the IRB don't like Wales. Every Irish player given it on a plater because they IRB are connected to Irish rugby by blood even down to the admin staff.
BOD has several family members in the IRB.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm

Oh yeah. Sorry Griff Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm

I stand by my Lions being about the team because it is an amalgamation of all the greatest home players making a super team.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

You call it Super Dave, and I'll agree with you that it's not a proper team.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

Here's the full list of the latest inductees, including the first ever women (6) to be inducted

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/New-IRB-Hall-of-Fame-members-20141118
http://www.worldrugby.org/news/36184

Nathalie Amiel (France),
Gill Burns (England),
Carol Isherwood (England),
Patty Jervey (USA),
Anna Richards (New Zealand),
Farah Palmer (New Zealand),

Keith Rowlands (Wales),
JPR Williams (Wales),
Ieuan Evans (Wales),
Jim Greenwood (Scotland),
Michael Lynagh (Australia),
Jo Maso (France),
Keith Wood (Ireland),
Jason Leonard (England)
Bill Beaumont (England).
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

How many Welsh players honoured?  How many world cups?
Wales zero world cups, every Welsh player mentioned earned it because the IRB don't like Wales. Every Irish player given it on a plater because they IRB are connected to Irish rugby by blood even down to the admin staff.
BOD has several family members in the IRB.

BOD's uncle, Dr Barry O'Driscoll resigned from the IRB because they were not doing enough about concussion and wasn't afraid to speak out about it. They are now taking it very serious, perhaps thanks to him.

If anyone deserved an accolade from Rugby, it is him.

edit: There is a big tradition in Irish sport to give back when your playing days are over.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm

IRB is now anti Irish Sin. He'll never get it with all them Swiss lads in control of rugby these days.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm

Bill Beaumont Laugh Laugh
Proves it is a bureaucratic affair and not worthy of a mention, didn't he captain his side to the most losses as an England Captain?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Bill Beaumont Laugh Laugh
Proves it is a bureaucratic affair and not worthy of a mention, didn't he captain his side to the most losses as an England Captain?

I'd say Keith Wood captained Ireland to a fair few losses in his day as well.

I see Cardiff RFC is in the Hall of Fame Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

Lovely man though so he probably got it for his St Bernard jowls and big sad eyes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

Sure i have read a stat some where he was the most unsuccessful long term captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:IRB is now anti Irish Sin.  He'll never get it with all them Swiss lads in control of rugby these days.

IRFU is busy cultivating the minions who are the new bosses in world rugby. Playing Georgia in the AIs, inviting Tier 2 countries to a coaching conference last week in Carton House, sending Michael Bradley to help with coaching Georgia etc. etc. Ireland will have lots of friends come the awarding of the 2023 world cup.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 19 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

International Yodle-adle-oodle Board.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

Sin é wrote:Most tries for a hooker in international rugby (15) Sean Fitzpatrick has 12. Scored a couple of hatricks as well internationally. Scored 4 tries in the one game at a world cup which is also a record I think.  Smile
Record for a hooker maybe. Record for tries in one WC game is 6.

What gets you into the IRB HOF anyway?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:17 am

A selection of rugby things and stuff and yokes.

If you have an old rugby shirt from way back in 2013, that you might have worn to a Six Nations game against Italy; in any given year, depending on what they're looking for that year, that might get you into the HoF.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:20 am

Good for him, great player and very deserving of his place.

Why anyone would feel bitter towards him is beyond me!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Why are people slamming Wood or even Beaumont anyhow.

Beaumont. Took England to their first GS in decades in a poor era for England rugby, captained the Lions in 1980, won 7 caps and has now been chairman on his national union.

Wood - Had 2 terrific Lions tours. Perhaps a little early for him but was easily the best Irishman of his era

The 97 touring party should be inducted in their own right. Achieved something only 2 other sides have ever achieved (74 Lions, 96 ABs, 97 Lions in 100 years of rugby history). France won 1-0 in a 2 match series in 93 so can also count IMO mind.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down