The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

Even when there are things I don't like (and there are many) I can usually appreciate why people might like them, for the life of me, I can't remotely see anything redeemable or admirable about Brand, he typifies the c-word to me and I don't think I'd ever tire of punching him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:54 am

He is unlikeable to some people and I can see the reasons. He spouts off about things, and people may not find him funny. But in the whole scheme of things he does no harm to anyone. We have a terrible prime minister an even worse chancellor and other horrendous tories in power. We have bankers who almost killed the countries economy and are still very dodgy. Utility companies charging obscene amounts to people that can't afford it. Dodgy landlords overcharging the poorest in society. And people care about a comedian or a singer or actor who in their own way try and help people?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:55 am

Where was Brand when Labour were the ones responsible?

Just seems like another anti-establishment tory bashing Bell End trying to make a name for himself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Great Darwin award here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30636326

Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Great Darwin award here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30636326

Laugh
"We need to be better at teaching our children how to handle guns. And the nursery school is a good place to start."

Quote: some moron US politician tomorrow. Just wait and see.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 am

2 years of age, dear me. Crazy stuff.

Kids gonna grow up living with the fact that he accidently killed his mother.

Its a sad situation this gun law in the US.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:20 am

But it's ok, she had a permit. picard
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:29 am

westisbest wrote:2 years of age, dear me. Crazy stuff.

Kids gonna grow up living with the fact that he accidently killed his mother.

Its a sad situation this gun law in the US.

He'll/She'll be better off without her. I'd rather grow up with no mother, than someone so catastrophically stupid.

Right I'm off to Sainsbury's, where's my Walther PPK?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 am

A little lime the discussion on the other thread, it feels like no level of negative impact on a vast proportion of the population will make an American admit that their country is a bit of a crappy place to live if you are of the wrong socio economic status. I love to visit America and sample the great bars, restaurants, museums, cities ..etc, but it is clear that were I to live the average Americans life it would be much more troublesome than the average life of a northern european.

Things like gun laws, education, health care and lack of a proper welfare state are extremely harmful to the nation, but for some reason people fail to accept america could adopt a better model and vastly improve peoples lifes. So why Americans are you scared to admit this?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:29 am

Very true Mac, in many measures of societal health, America does dreadfully in comparison to many of the North European, Japan, Australia, NZ countries.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 am

Mac - I think you are suffering from "crime less victim" syndrome. Take extremist examples and apply it to the whole. Gun laws ... goofy, and may never change but also have little impact on most people's lives. Health care ... goofy, but absolutely heading in the right direction. 

I came from a family of very modest means, now fortunate enough to run a company of 50+ professionals (and happy to provide full health care to any that want it). My siblings also have found great employment. Our story is not unique. Achievement requires effort, but if you are willing to work (and in many cases relocate), there's ample opportunity IMO. Get off your arse as they say!

Societal problems? Plenty! Polarization, income gaps escalating, infrastructure issues, defense spending, aging population. These problems will be met. But not without causalities certainly. People have been predicting the fall of 'Merica for so many years now, I take it all with a grain of salt. "Extremely harmful" as you state? Sorry, not buying it.Smile

Last edited by Shotrock on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:14 am

Bloody Hell! I agree with Shotrock again!

Having said which: He comes from a part of the world (CNY) with strong public schools and a work ethic second-to-none, all of which helps those of us fortunate enough to have raised families there.
And Mac and s_r are spot on that many national metrics show the USA performing very poorly. But that's mostly in the South where such metrics would shame third-world nations - and elected officials are determined to keep it that way in those States.

In my opinion, if (HUGE IF!) the US could crack its health care problem, with pretty much highest cost in the developed world for among the worst outcomes, then the country would fast-forward as a growth economy to match those of so-called emerging nations.

But, even in the most staunchly democratic States, there's no will to assume the short-term cost of universal health care, regardless of incredible long-term benefits, so situation likely to remain quo for a few more decades.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 am

Kwini, what exactly do American taxes pay for?
I recently got a breakdown of my taxes and shuddered to see the distribution of where they are spent.
Given that America doesn't really have a National Health system, nor a Benefits Agency, what on earth do people's taxes actually pay for?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:23 am

Pretty much the same as you except health care; probably proportionately more on defence (not to mention "veterans affairs, including health care costs) and layers of government, less on infrastructure (but that has to change) and further education.
Very simplistic, but remember that the US has a huge social security system which is underfunded.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:25 am

Super - To pay for a bloated bureaucracy! (Just kidding ... sort of.) Mostly Defense, Medicare, Social Security (we do have universal health for people age 65+)

Good luck with this: https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am

My wife got a breakdown of her taxes aswell. It is surely just provided to make people moan about how their taxes are distributed.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 am

Shotrock wrote:Get of your arse as they say!

You might say it - I'd say "get off your arse"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:17 am

Davie - Agree (too much coffee this morning ...)!

Fixed

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 am

Davie wrote:

Why is it always you who points out the grammatical errors?

Kwini/shotrock

I am sure it is still unlikely even in USA that you will die from a gunshot wound but the chances are still a lot higher than anywhere else.

I am also unsure what argument you are making if you accept that the USA lags behind western europe in almost all metrics of happiness and quality of life? If you accept this as true do you not also have to accept that there is a better way of doing things?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:34 am

Mac - Regarding rogue shotgun/handgun fatalities ... your chances can still be higher ... but that doesn't mean they are either significant or meaningful.

And there are always ways to do things better. No one (or at least I) is suggesting otherwise.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:36 am

Shotrock

True, apparently swimming pools are a more lethal force than guns in the USA. Not sure that means we shouldn't try and limit gun use.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:40 am

You have a chance to be killed by a firearm in the USA, but it is not a lot higher then anywhere else. Brazil has the most murders by firearm records. In fact America is 28th in this list of firearm muder rate. From 2012, but I would not expect it to be that much different.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list#data

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:48 am

McLaren wrote:Shotrock

True, apparently swimming pools are a more lethal force than guns in the USA.  Not sure that means we shouldn't try and limit gun use.

Be funny to see a depressed, introspective loner attack a school armed with a swimming pool.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:00 am

USA has nearly 3 gun deaths per 100000 of its population, and just to the north in Canada the rate is only 0.5 per 100000.

In England and Wales the rate is 0.07. I would actually count that as an unnecessarily higher risk.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:10 am

Mac - Agree that it's unnecessary!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:19 am

McLaren wrote:USA has nearly 3 gun deaths per 100000 of its population, and just to the north in Canada the rate is only 0.5 per 100000.

In England and Wales the rate is 0.07.  I would actually count that as an unnecessarily higher risk.

Interestingly Mac, there seems to be a correlation between the religiosity of a country and their gun fatalities. Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:23 am

Mac,
Sometimes I think that the point you made a week or two about your commenting on things without reading them is the rule rather than the exception.

Surely, if "the US could crack its health care problem" as I advocated an hour or so ago, then other social and cultural metrics would improve substantially?

Gun deaths proliferate where you least expect 'em. Death by bullet significantly higher in Vermont, for instance, than death by motor vehicle accident in 2014. And no-one seems to care, whereas if the reverse was true there'd be shock and horror.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:46 am

McLaren wrote:
Davie wrote:

Why is it always you who points out the grammatical errors?

It's not always me. I am however capable of differentiating between typographical errors, spelling mistakes and bad grammar

Typos are acceptable - we all make them at time and are, at worst, just a sign of being a little careless at the keyboard. If someone typed "fuond" instead of "found" I wouldn't bat an eyelid as that is a simple mistake; Bad spelling of a very difficult word is also acceptable. Bad spelling of simple words, and bad grammar is just unfortunately something that annoys me. Mixing up "their" "there" and "they're", "of" and "off", and perhaps worst of all "should of" instead of "should have" will always attract my attention (for the worse)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Bet you are a hit at parties..."I'm into checking spelling and grammar on Internet forums" you must be beating the girls off with a stick!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm

You know what ben? There is a difference between how one may behave at parties and how one behaves on internet forums. If you don't get that perhaps you should look more at yourself. Happy New Year

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:43 pm

kwini

I made the comment

"Things like gun laws, education, health care and lack of a proper welfare state are extremely harmful to the nation, but for some reason people fail to accept america could adopt a better model and vastly improve peoples lifes. So why Americans are you scared to admit this?"

shotrock then replied with

"I think you are suffering from "crime less victim" syndrome. Take extremist examples and apply it to the whole. Gun laws ... goofy, and may never change but also have little impact on most people's lives. Health care ... goofy, but absolutely heading in the right direction."

Plus a description of how he achieved the american dream from humble beginnings.

You then joined in with "I agree with shotrock". And your premise that healthcare alone will solve most of the USA's standard of living problems.

So your premise is now what shotrock proposed (as you said you agreed with him), plus the added theory of only needing to solve healthcare.

I don't agree with this, and hence responded to you and shotrock as a joint entity. As you appeared to share a common premise.

it is pretty clear you need to tackle education, healthcare, wealth distribution, welfare state and whole lot of other social issues. So yes I did read what you said and do not agree with you.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Let's spell it out then.
My belief is that fixing health care (and there's certainly no Congressional will to do it properly in the foreseeable future) would create a sufficiently powerful economic engine to create wealth, tax revenues, etc, etc that could be invested in education and infrastructure that we agree is underfunded.

Once the tide starts to float 25% more boats most other "social" ills will be mitigated. It won't resolve things like guns (a "constitutional" issue), women's rights, religious bigotry etc, but it will enable the population to become sufficiently educated to challenge the Congressional nonsense that drives the country now, and pretty much has since 1980.

At the end of the day, the USA will never be like the "big tour" of Europe, Australia, Japan, but who wants it to be, and why should it?

As we say about the European Golf Tour, vive la difference!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:08 pm

White Hart Kane.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Always had a soft spot for spurs since I was a kid. It's always great to see jose not just lose but get stuffed. Surprisingly tight at the top. It seems Chelsea where going to romp it at one point. Harry lane seems to have something
about him.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Few things better than watching Terry's ugly bulldog face tripping him even further.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Trouble at this year's New Year's Eve 606v2 outing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-30650473

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Reports claiming Bono may never play guitar again after falling off his bike!

Very Happy Yahoo laughing Laugh Laugh thumbsup Ale clap cake cider RedWine

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Rolling Eyes
It's only Bono's "report" though - you know he'll be comeback player of the year as he strums away with a bionic elbow to breathless acclaim from all his sycophants.
Meanwhile he'll be too busy getting rehabbed to make any further statement for months.

Sounds like Prince Andrew should be getting rehabbed too - probably ask Tiger for tips.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Trouble at this year's New Year's Eve 606v2 outing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-30650473
Sounds like a Team USA presser.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:19 am

super_realist wrote:Reports claiming Bono may never play guitar again after falling off his bike!

Very Happy Yahoo laughing Laugh Laugh thumbsup Ale clap cake cider RedWine
Could he ever?

But unfortunately that leaves him more time to out his BS.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:49 am

Never even knew Bonio even played guitar, thought he left that to another strupidly named person- The Edge

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 am

The whack jobs are out and about again I see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

Utter w*nkers. Despite my inherent tolerance for others, I'm beginning to wish a lot of nasty things on some groups in society at large.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 am

Including US Neo-Con Republicans I hope?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Including US Neo-Con Republicans I hope?
Oh, I can certainly include them if it helps? Smile
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 am

navyblueshorts wrote:The whack jobs are out and about again I see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

Utter w*nkers. Despite my inherent tolerance for others, I'm beginning to wish a lot of nasty things on some groups in society at large.

Indeed, why are these pr1cks so sensitive to their particular brand of fairy story being tweeted about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:22 am

Anyone else care to join me in posting this.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 B6v_R3-IQAEIVGE

Or am I going down alone?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 am

still alive Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 am

Horrible attack obviously. But everyone knows Islam can't take a joke, so that magazine was incredibly brave/stupid to keep lampooning them, especially after being attacked before.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am

Don't try to excuse them Inco as the Magazine bringing it upon themselves. Islam being offended about a bloody cartoon is about as ridiculous as me claiming that I'm offended by someone wearing a straw hat and then gunning them down when I see someone wearing one in the street.

We have freedom of speech and press in UK/Europe and people  have no right to be sheltered from offence, whatever offence is.

To try and use terror and fear as a method for controlling what people can say and write, is dictatorial, and these people deserve zero excuses and maximum punishment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:38 am

incontinentia wrote:Horrible attack obviously. But everyone knows Islam can't take a joke, so that magazine was incredibly brave/stupid to keep lampooning them, especially after being attacked before.
Ah yes. Condone these stone-age cretins by suggesting it might be the magazine's fault?? Seriously?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next