The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 9

+13
formerly known as Sam
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
Ozzy3213
Geordie
beshocked
Bathman_in_London
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
Bathite
Welly
LondonTiger
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 9 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 9

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:37 am

Aviva Premiership - Round 9 Table10

Just 3 more rounds and every club will have played each other. The congestion in the middle of the table continues apace - a single win saw Leicester move from 9th to 5th, while at the top of the table we could well be seeing a clear gap between the Top 3 and the rest after this round.

Saturday 29th November 2014

Bath v Harlequins 19:45 BT Sport
Bath will be desperate to keep the pressure on the top two, and at home will not wish to lose. Having lost at the Stoop to Sale Quins will be desperate to get back to winning ways before a top 4 spot start to looks like a pipe-dream. Both sides are heavily affected by England call-ups - though have been helped by the early release of players. While Bath will have more men in the England 23, Quins will miss their absentees more and at times looked rudderless against a fired up Sale team. Quins will need the 8-10 axis to really fire and show leadership but how mush do the older statesmen, Easter and Evans, have in the tank?

Saturday 29th November 2014

Leicester v Wasps 15:00
This meeting of 5th v 6th will have both sides looking for the win that could move them closer to the Top 4 spot. However both teams were poor on the road last week where we saw Leicester limp past a dreadful London Welsh side while Wasps were well beaten in Devon. Both sides will see some international players returning this week and Leicester in particular will be bolstered by the returns of Ayerza up front and Goneva at the back. Leicester need to control the set piece, kick well and catch passes. Fail this and Wasps have the firepower to increase the Welford Rd frustration.

Exeter v Saracens 16:30
Huge clash for both sides. Saracens will not enjoy sitting 4th in the table and seeing Exeter two places ahead. This is a game they will feel they have to win - but they will need to start much better than they did against Northampton. In their last two fixtures Sarries have tried to play a conservative, attritional game - and struggled because they could not gain set-piece dominance. Againts Exeter who can play with real flair and for each other they simply have to dominate the home team pack otherwise they will return to Europe on the back of 3 weeks with no victory. Exeter have just lost once at home, in round 2, and will fully expect to send another bunch of "fancy dans" packing.

Sunday 30th November 2014

London Irish v Gloucester 13:00 BT Sport
Both sides lost last week, not unexpectedly, but London Irish will be more disappointed by the manner of the defeat. Gloucester should be strengthened by the return of Greg Laidlaw - but still have major problems in their backline with injuries and international call-ups. this is a prime time for London Irish to secure the win that would all but relegate London Welsh, but they need to start playing from the first minute - not leave everything to the last quarter when they score points that merely reduce the scoreboard pain.

London Welsh v Northampton 14:30
What's the point?

Newcastle v Sale 15:15 BT Sport
Hard one to call. After 10 months of defeats in all competitions, Falcons have picked up the winning bug. Sale are a solid team, good scavengers and a strong driving maul. Cipriani is playing well enough to guide the team around and they will feel they have what it takes to secure the win and return to the top half of the table. Sale have been vulnerable at scrum time however, missing Brookes and with issues at LH, falcons are probably not the side to take advantage here. Falcons cannot afford the plethora of missed goal kicks we have seen recently if they are to secure their 4th premiership win of the season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 9 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 9

Post by Welly Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

Leicester to lose by 20!

(Tom Youngs is meant to be fit which is nice though)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

At first it was quite funny welly, now it's just inane.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

Interesting to see who we have in the team. Can expect Ayeza and Ghiraldini to be back, but may not see Kitch start as he has been retained by England atm.

Behind the scrum it will be interesting to see where Goneva fits in. Mele, whose passing was poor on Sunday, is likely to start as Harrison continues to struggle with the knock he picked up against Sale. Who will partner him at half back though? Burn's lack of confidence from the kicking tee must make Williams favourtite - unless Bell stays in the team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm

As far as I'm aware Glaws' Welsh contingent return to the club this week, so Laidlaw, Hibbard and Hook should make a huge impact for us coupled with some of the returning injured players. Nevertheless, I still see this as a very tough game to win, especially after pretty underwhelming performances against Quins and Newcastle.

HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

On current form I was not considering Hook an upgrade on Burns or Mills.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

Hook has started to string some decent performances together, so I'd certainly see him as a better option than Burns. I couldn't comment on Mills as I've not seen him play for Worcester yet this season Wink

Laidlaw has been the biggest loss for us. His place kicking has been exceptionally, but his game management has been outstanding. With 36 set to start for England this weekend I fully expect Laidlaw to pick up the mantle of captain.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

Oops Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm

I wish he did still play for us LT
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

Bathite wrote:At first it was quite funny welly, now it's just inane.
 (Didn't do it last week or week before)

Not out of the question though.

Wasps have gone one week crap the next brilliant.

Wasps have a dangerous team now when they are in the mood will stretch Leicester. The potential Johnson, Haskell (?), Hughes backrow will certainly test the forwards defence.

I prob think it might be a 2 point win to Wasps.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:13 pm

More realistic. Tigers will definitely be favourites with some of the big boys returning and the Haskell loss huge to Wasps

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm

LondonTiger wrote:London Welsh v Northampton 14:30
What's the point?
Me like this.  The only problem is that it is now mandatory to go for the try bonus point against London Welsh just to stay even with the results obtained by almost all other Premiership clubs.  Makes for a weird match, especially as Saints are missing a lot of bodies to England.  On the other hand, if SL knew what was good for England he might take more.....

Last edited by doctor_grey on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:59 am

Talk that Sam Burgess may feature on Friday

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

I took that to mean there were a couple of tickets still available and they thought of the perfect way to ensure they got taken up!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:16 am

Must win game for Saracens but I doubt they will. Centres still a mess - just like England. Refusing to accept that Player X is not a centre just like England.....

Player X makes mistake that allows Saints to go 7-0 up and exposes the weakness in the opening minutes of the game.....

Would have been ideal if England dropped Barritt. English fans dislike him but as a defensive organiser in the backline I don't think there are any better in England.

Exeter are also in good form and at home - an away win is unlikely.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:24 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I took that to mean there were a couple of tickets still available and they thought of the perfect way to ensure they got taken up!

That was my first thought too

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

Newcastle v Sale 15:15 BT Sport
Sale have been vulnerable at scrum time however, missing Brookes and with issues at LH, falcons are probably not the side to take advantage here.

We have been a little weak in the pack...i think in particular the front row...however on Friday Oly Tomaschyk was outstanding...not just in the scrums but at the rucks etc. If he can repeat that we'll be fine...but he's just an up and down player...when he can be bothered and is in the mood he's outstanding...when hes not in the mood....well....

However i think we have been playing well..not breathtaking rugby...just grinding out the wins...and as long as Socino can kick well enough then i think we could get another win here.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:39 am

Would have been ideal if England dropped Barritt. English fans dislike him but as a defensive organiser in the backline I don't think there are any better in England.

I dont think i appreciated him in the past...but i do now. If you surround him with more creative players (like Ford etc) he can be an excellent player (and leader for the kids)...as i have said on the England threads.
Also his passing is basic...but he usually gets the ball out. Exactly what is needed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

This is a must win game for us. The players need to pull their fingers out and front up. We have 6 forwards back off international duty and I reckon 5 of them might start (they would if I was picking the team). Tom Homer is also apparently back but may start on the bench. I hope we see a team that is something like;-

Homer, Lewington, Mulchrone, Griffin, Short, Geraghty, Steele;
Court, Paice, Cross, Skivington, Leo, Sinclair, Cowan, Treviranus.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:29 pm

Can't even see a lbp for Quins this weekend. Although to be honest I expect a loss away at Gloucester too so you never know.

Although it does seem the team's one goal this season has been to just do enough one week to build some hope in the fans to then go and crush it all with an even more abject performance. And yet i'm still suckered in!!

Would be great for us if Burgess did play this weekend as I can't believe he's had the time to learn anything about Union yet. He'd be a penalty machine... please play him Very Happy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

Our game is a real hard one to call with Sale more than able to turn us over.

Scrum was excellent against Gloucester, all of our play seems to stem from a solid set piece which helps us build momentum. We're never going to rip teams apart so it's vital we hold up in the pack.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:46 am

yappysnap wrote:Can't even see a lbp for Quins this weekend. Although to be honest I expect a loss away at Gloucester too so you never know.

Although it does seem the team's one goal this season has been to just do enough one week to build some hope in the fans to then go and crush it all with an even more abject performance. And yet i'm still suckered in!!

Would be great for us if Burgess did play this weekend as I can't believe he's had the time to learn anything about Union yet. He'd be a penalty machine... please play him Very Happy

We'll see (on the win bit). I'll be satisfied with some attacking impetus and doing the basics right.

The good news is our pack has actually looked pretty good recently
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:46 am

Pack has looked good, just a shame that the backs minus Lowe suddenly look like a bunch of guys who met in the car park just before kick off.

So far this season i've been seriously underwhelmed by all of our more experienced backs. Care, Dickson, Evans, Hopper and Brown have all failed to get the backline going; which is what you'd expect of a whole bunch of experienced internationals or club players. With the big hole Lowe leaves us I still really miss Molenaar, he'd be just the sort of squad player we could use to fill that void.

Only the young wings have really looked any good, and that's with 2 out of every three passes being of the hospital variety.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:53 am

Elliot Daly will be missing for Wasps after being suspended for 3 weeks for verbally abusing the ref:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30221313

Was he sent off for this, or was it only acted on after the game?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:24 am

Great news for tigers.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:52 am

According to my tv listings, it shows London Welsh - Saints match is being televised.  That can't be right, is it?
I'd be happy to watch but I don't see why London Welsh would be televised again for a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

Bath Rugby team to face Harlequins

15 Gavin Henson
14 Semesa Rokoduguni
13 Jonathan Joseph
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Matt Banahan
10 Ollie Devoto
9 Chris Cook
1 Nick Auterac
2 Ross Batty
3 Henry Thomas
4 Stuart Hooper (c)
5 Dominic Day
6 Matt Garvey
7 David Sisi
8 Leroy Houston

Replacements

16 Tom Dunn
17 Paul James
18 Kane Palma-Newport
19 Charlie Ewels
20 Carl Fearns
21 Peter Stringer
22 Sam Burgess
23 Horacio Agulla

A pretty decent team that, interesting to see Devoto getting the nod at 10, Henson had done pretty well there the last few weeks.

Seems to be some new bloke on the subs bench, anyone know anything about him?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm

Bathman, apparently he's some bloke who's been travelling for the last few years to find himself. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much as I understand he's never even played rugby union before! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm

Burgess as 10 replacement silly move imo. would be better in the back row or centre but what do I know.

Wink

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

I am predicting a knock on with his first touch...!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

I'm predicting a yellow card with his first 'tackle' Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 27 Nov 2014, 2:19 pm

I'm predicting he doesn't come off the bench

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

I predict a riot

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

My prediction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:28 pm

If there was another international friendly next weekend I'd predict a call up. There's not so he'll have to wait until the six nations to be found out on a bigger stage.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:25 am

LondonTiger wrote:Elliot Daly will be missing for Wasps after being suspended for 3 weeks for verbally abusing the ref:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30221313

Was he sent off for this, or was it only acted on after the game?

Daly swore at the ref (not sure what he said) two minutes from the end of the game and was yellow carded.

Silly boy - that sort of behaviour does not sit well with Lancaster, or Dai Young for that matter. He will also be discipined by Wasps.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/2014/11/26/club-statement---daly

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:53 am

Welly wrote:Burgess as 10 replacement silly move imo. would be better in the back row or centre but what do I know.

Wink

You do make an interesting point though.

5 "centres" in the 23 - though you could argue two of them are utility players. No specialist 10 in the 23 with Ford on England duty.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

Bath doesn't have a backup 10 on the roster?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:57 am

beshocked wrote:
Welly wrote:Burgess as 10 replacement silly move imo. would be better in the back row or centre but what do I know.

Wink

You do make an interesting point though.

5 "centres" in the 23 - though you could argue two of them are utility players. No specialist 10 in the 23 with Ford on England duty.

We only have one senior FH beshocked so that's why! It would show a lack of ambition to turn up at Bath knowing that the coaches son was your rival I think.
Will be a lot of pressure on Devoto, he has looked good outside Ford, but asking him to run a game is a bit different. I would take a 1 point win and then await the return of our England contingent.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:16 pm

London Irish team to play Gloucester Rugby:

15. Tom Homer; 14. Alex Lewington; 13. Fergus Mulchrone; 12. Shane Geraghty*; 11. James Short; 10. Chris Noakes; 9. Scott Steele; 1. Tom Court*; 2. David Paice*; 3. Geoff Cross*; 4. George Skivington (Captain); 5. Kieran Low*; 6. Jebb Sinclair*; 7. Blair Cowan*; 8. Ofisa Treviranus*

Replacements: 16. Tom Woolstencroft; 17. Leo Halavatau; 18. Halani Aulika*; 19. Dan Leo*; 20. Conor Gilsenan; 21. Darren Allinson; 22. Eoin Griffin; 23. Topsy Ojo

As I thought it would and should be with the exception of Low starting over Leo. No excuses for the management this week. If we can't get the job done there is a problem and there will be serious questions raised over the ability of the coaching staff.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:19 pm

Glaws' team is announced for the trip to Irish. I'm pleased with the pack and I think we'll need to play 10 man rugby or Hook to make huge miss passes to Sharples as we're still threadbare in the backs.

Not at all surprised to see Laidlaw start as captain. When he was signed I was pleased because we were getting a top kicker, but I felt he wouldn't add much more and would find it difficult to get ahead of Dan Robson. I really couldn't have been more wrong as bar one game he has been outstanding for us.

Steve McColl; Charlie Sharples, Billy Meakes, Mark Atkinson, Henry Purdy; James Hook, Greig Laidlaw (capt); Yann Thomas, Richard Hibbard, John Afoa; Tom Savage, Tom Palmer; Sione Kalamafoni, Matt Kvesic, Gareth Evans

Replacements:
Aleki Lutui, James Gibbons, Sila Puafisi, Elliott Stooke, Ross Moriarty, Callum Braley, Billy Burns, Shane Monahan
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

It's normally I high scorer when we play you at our place HKC, should be a good game looking at the sides.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

Hopefully so but we both need a good performance and a victory, so hopefully that doesn't make it a nervy affair. Both sides look equally matched, so I'm going for a last minute drop goal to win it!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Welcome back Youngs and Croft!

Very good team sarting to take shape again. throw in Manu, Morris and Parling and that are starting 23 nearly.

Really looking forward to seeing Pearce at 8.

Leicester Tigers (v Wasps, Welford Road, Saturday 3pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Blaine Scully
13 Vereniki Goneva
12 Anthony Allen
11 Miles Benjamin
10 Owen Williams
9 David Mele
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Brad Thorn (c)
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Jamie Gibson
7 Julian Salvi
8 Laurence Pearce

Replacements
16 Leonardo Ghiraldini
17 Michele Rizzo
18 Fraser Balmain
19 Tom Croft
20 Robert Barbieri
21 Sam Harrison
22 Freddie Burns
23 Matt Smith

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm

Tough on young Thacker not making the 23 after an excellent performance last week. Shows the depth Tigers have when everyone is fit.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:53 pm

At least their scrum won't take a hit when Thacker comes on, thats a tough looking Tigers team.

If Gloucester play like they did at our place Irish should win. Their scrum was poor and thats a good Irish unit, slightly better looking Gloucester backline but I'm edging with Irish by 5.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

Hughes and Johnson bench? Some impact but wonder why not start? Maybe to counter the likes of Cole, Ayerza, Gibson and Salvi at the breakdown?

Wasps team to play Leicester Tigers on Saturday 29 November, kick off 3pm

15. Andrea Masi
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
13. Alapati Leiua
12. Chris Bell (c)
11. Tom Varndell
10. Andy Goode
9. Joe Simpson
1. Simon McIntyre
2. Edd Shervington
3. Lorenzo Cittadini
4. Bradley Davies
5. Kearnan Myall
6. Ed Jackson
7. Guy Thompson
8. Sam Jones

16. Ashley Johnson
17. John Yapp
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley
19. James Cannon
20. Nathan Hughes
21. Charlie Davies
22. Alex Lozowski
23. Rob Miller

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:04 pm

Jayzus Pooly, do you need a lay down buddy. I think that's got to be the first time you've ever predicted an Irish win isn't it!!! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:09 pm

Haha...I like Irish and at full strength they're a decent unit.

I'd always take them against Gloucester at home.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

To be fair, that's all but our strongest pack, so if we don't at very least match them up front and give our backs a chance then the bottom line is we are not good enough. Irish fans are asking serious questions about the coaching team right now and they need the team to put in a good performance to quieten some of the noise.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next