The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs

+17
MichaelT
Taylorman
Comfort
Poorfour
fa0019
Geordie
Nachos Jones
George Carlin
majesticimperialman
thebandwagonsociety
SecretFly
The Saint
sirtidychris
lostinwales
HammerofThunor
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs - Page 2 Empty Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs

Post by LordDowlais Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Well do we agree with his picks ?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30269070

There are some suspect one's in there for me, I would have had Webb over Murray, but that could just be my Welshness, and I would have picked Warburton at 7.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs - Page 2 Empty Re: Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 Dec 2014, 8:59 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
George Carlin wrote:He's Scottish in the sense that his dad is. Not sure that has anything to do with it

I thought he was Scottish Scottish (usually when a kiwi paper runs a cowpat article, the response he's English or Scottish or Welsh)
Sorry - checked that and you're right - born in Scotland and moved to Auckland as a boy. So there you go.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs - Page 2 Empty Re: Jeremy Guscott's home nations and Rugby Championship XVs

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:11 am

George Carlin wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
George Carlin wrote:He's Scottish in the sense that his dad is. Not sure that has anything to do with it

I thought he was Scottish Scottish (usually when a kiwi paper runs a cowpat article, the response he's English or Scottish or Welsh)
Sorry - checked that and you're right - born in Scotland and moved to Auckland as a boy. So there you go.

Well I'm pretty sure he's a kiwi on residency if he went as a kid

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:12 am

George Carlin wrote: anchored an Irish grand slam

Much as I like Sexton, he wasn't playing in 2009 Six Nations

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:28 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
 Just remind me where Warburton is going to spend this weekend's match?

Such a big game too. I can understand resting him this weekend and next, seeing as league points are way more beneficial instead of the Challenge Cup

Exactly, surely the Blues priorities are to get into the top 6 which means league points are far more valuable than a comp with no real incentive.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
 Just remind me where Warburton is going to spend this weekend's match?

Such a big game too. I can understand resting him this weekend and next, seeing as league points are way more beneficial instead of the Challenge Cup

Exactly, surely the Blues priorities are to get into the top 6 which means league points are far more valuable than a comp with no real incentive.

Then I am happy to be wrong in this case. Nobody wants to see players getting injured, its just such a big part of the game these days.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm

Has anyone included Jonny Gray? Perhaps the best lock in the autumn internationals. High tackle count, high carry count, scored a try, took his own lineouts, stole opposition lineouts. Completely overshadowed his big Bro who does get a mention. Lazy journalism

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:41 am

Jonny Gray is just so god damn consistent, stepped up to Test level and was one of our top performers.  At just 20 he's got all the tools in his locker to be a truly World Class player, runs a mean line-out and uses his considerable bulk to good effect.  Expect him to be captain within a couple seasons.

Ashe was also very impressive for a 21 year old, carried the ball hard and constantly got over the gain-line.  Obviously a fair bit behind the likes of Reid, Vermeulen, Heaslip or even Morgan but looks a promising prospect.

Seymour is another one for us who's consistently putting in strong performances, didn't get much ball during the Autumn but still scored in every game.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 05 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

Yet to face the exo-skelton

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 05 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

boomeranga wrote:Yet to face the exo-skelton

They didnt bring him on until Lawes went off - just saying Very Happy

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:00 am

Lawes couldn't even last until we were ready to unleash Skeletor.

And he has a girls name.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure he's a kiwi on residency if he went as a kid

I think you'll find he's born and bred in Scotland. He's been a journalist for a couple of scottish papers. Been in nz for about 10 years I think. He posts regular video posts on the herald his accent alone indicates He's about as kiwi bred as haggis.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:34 pm

blackcanelion wrote:
I think you'll find he's born and bred in Scotland. He's been a journalist for a couple of scottish papers. Been in nz for about 10 years I think. He posts regular video posts on the herald his accent alone indicates He's about as kiwi bred as haggis.

So he's been trying to be a Kiwi for over 10 years but has bottled it? Oh right Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 05 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

SecretFly wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:

So he's been trying to be a Kiwi for over 10 years but has bottled it?  Oh right Wink  

You can see him in online videos reporting for the heral and judge for yourself.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 05 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm

Oh I believe you, canelion. Not doubting the fact that he's Scottish at all.

But his heart is very much with the ABs at this point (written books about them?)  
And NOT a bad thing either!  I'm not denigrating him for his allegiances, he's entitled to them.  
So yes, he may be Scottish, but for the purposes of his article, it's very much written from a New Zealand perspective.  Another thing he's perfectly entitled to do.  But then we in 606 get to throw our ten cents worth into the debate too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 05 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm

A bit of both I think. He's not a John reason. Without doubt this is reaction to the telegraphs list for a NZ audience. He lives here and can obviously relate a bit to the kiwi game. He's a bit like Fitzpatrick or Lynagh, who work and live in England. He's still very much a Brit. As such he often pleases no one.

For what it's worth I'd have picked sexton as my 1st choice 10. We don't know who our no 1 flyhalf is, most others have been up and down.  I like pollard as well.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2