The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eubank Jr Needs A New Team

+9
Seanusarrilius
Derbymanc
Coxy001
wheelchair1991
milkyboy
horizontalhero
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
13 posters

Go down

Eubank Jr Needs A New Team Empty Eubank Jr Needs A New Team

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

Does no one think?

After the first round, Eubank Sr. advice wasn't anything to do with him being outjabbed or how to get close or anything like that... His advice was about how to sit on the stool in between rounds. That was it... I mean, seriously!!

In terms of his previous opponents, they were all duds, total duds. It doesn't prepare you for someone who is unbeaten and heading towards world level and was a prestigious amateur. He would've perhaps been able to close the range a little quicker, realised about how poor his right hand lead truly was and about how incredibly off balanced he is after he misses the shot and how he can fix that. None of the 18 previous opponents were tricky, had good chins, understood how to survive, or could throw anything back to give Eubank Jr anything to seriously think about. He was essentially in the fight towards the end due to him being a lot bigger and stronger...

I just don't understand it... I mean his dad to an extent sort of did the same thing, fought an awful lot of nobodies then went up against Benn and managed to crack him, but that was slightly different. Benn had been shown how to be beat previously, had ben hurt in several fights and Benn was, although a monstrous puncher, a ridiculously one dimensional fighter. Not a talented moving boxer like Saunders.

Hopefully they don't stick him in with nobodies and then step him up to a massive step up again, hopefully they decide to step him up gradually the way they should have been doing before.

Anyway, rant over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Eubank Jr Needs A New Team Empty Re: Eubank Jr Needs A New Team

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

I agree but he idolises his Dad....Matthew Hilton was the same...

Eubank Sr will stay in charge..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:04 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Does no one think?

After the first round, Eubank Sr. advice wasn't anything to do with him being outjabbed or how to get close or anything like that... His advice was about how to sit on the stool in between rounds. That was it... I mean, seriously!!

In terms of his previous opponents, they were all duds, total duds. It doesn't prepare you for someone who is unbeaten and heading towards world level and was a prestigious amateur. He would've perhaps been able to close the range a little quicker, realised about how poor his right hand lead truly was and about how incredibly off balanced he is after he misses the shot and how he can fix that. None of the 18 previous opponents were tricky, had good chins, understood how to survive, or could throw anything back to give Eubank Jr anything to seriously think about. He was essentially in the fight towards the end due to him being a lot bigger and stronger...

I just don't understand it... I mean his dad to an extent sort of did the same thing, fought an awful lot of nobodies then went up against Benn and managed to crack him, but that was slightly different. Benn had been shown how to be beat previously, had ben hurt in several fights and Benn was, although a monstrous puncher, a ridiculously one dimensional fighter. Not a talented moving boxer like Saunders.

Hopefully they don't stick him in with nobodies and then step him up to a massive step up again, hopefully they decide to step him up gradually the way they should have been doing before.

Anyway, rant over.

Benn would have annihalated Saunders to be fair.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:14 pm

though I agree with you in general, your being very generous to Saunders here-let's not forget that he scrapped home by split decsion against a fighter that you are arguing is a technical poor novice.
The influnce of Snr is the root of the problem, Jnr seems to have inherited his attitude towards his trainer, and unless he actually respects and listens to Davies, then he isn't going to progress. I really wish he had stayed with McCallum in Vegas.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

You're right HH. If only he'd listened to ronnie's advice to 'go out there and f**k him up' he'd have won.

And, without his father's attention to detail, reminding him how to sit on his stool, he'd have gassed and not been able to produce the grandstand finish.

I've no doubt that the letter he wrote to his son ahead of the fight, that was so poignantly read out on air, helped inspire him to push the mighty billy joe, so close.

A very disingenuous and ill informed thread Alex.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:10 pm

Dont think Eubank will ever get a new team if im honest

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:12 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:Dont think Eubank will ever get a new team if im honest
Which will undoubtedly be his downfall

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

It will indeed dave, think Eubank sr's ego will be bruised after this

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:17 pm

Read somewhere that Eubank's stock is probably going to be that bit higher than Saunder's now, which I feel is a fairly good statement. Most expected (not me, thought Eubank would stop him) Saunders to win and win fairly comfortably but instead we had Eubank Jr pouring it on in the second half against a guy with a much more vaunted background and extensive pedigree.

Toss him in with a few euro level fighters, mix it with the odd ex world level fighter and I'd be putting a few pennies on Jr reversing the result if they were to meet in a couple of years.

Needs to go and train in America though, someone like Roach would be a good fit for him in terms of tightening up his technique a bit (would do nothing for him defensively mind you)

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:26 pm

I was right in thinking his old man told him how to sit on his stool then, thought i'd misheard. There was some cracking advice on show on saturday, (not just in the Eubank fight) my favourites were 'just do 'im' (said to Anthony Robinson) and 'Go out there and bash him up' (said to eubank)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:It will indeed dave, think Eubank sr's ego will be bruised after this
I'm sure Snr's ego is big enough to cope. All in all, I think he'll be satisfied that jnr hasn't disgraced himself on the big stage but it will be interesting to see whether or not there is a rethink on the technical front. No-one can really doubt the lad's conditioning but he's simply not smart/good enough in the ring. His old man was able to fiddle and fanny around and take his foot off the gas because he was skilled enough to get the win with his boxing ability.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:52 pm

Eubank Jr. needs a new promoter. His dad has no idea what he doing there. A new team? Maybe. Or maybe he needs to listen to his trainer and learn how to develop his skill set. His attitude stinks. Needs 3/4 developing fights on British/Euro scene. Learn to jab, move his feet and defend. Look forward to seeing what he can do.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:15 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I was right in thinking his old man told him how to sit on his stool then, thought i'd misheard. There was some cracking advice on show on saturday, (not just in the Eubank fight) my favourites were 'just do 'im' (said to Anthony Robinson) and 'Go out there and bash him up' (said to eubank)

Think you can be forgiven for wondering if you'd misheard. I'm sure his son had a bit of a double take too

Junior: 'What dad... I need to sit down on my punches properly?'

Senior: 'No chrithtopher, you need to thit down on your thtool properly'

Ronnie: 'never mind that, just f**k him up'

Hey, it is panto season

'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Eubank Jr. needs a new promoter. His dad has no idea what he doing there. A new team? Maybe. Or maybe he needs to listen to his trainer and learn how to develop his skill set. His attitude stinks. Needs 3/4 developing fights on British/Euro scene. Learn to jab, move his feet and defend. Look forward to seeing what he can do.

You alright Sean ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

Hey Truss!

I am fine ...

vomit

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:31 pm

Im sure i heard eubank jr tell davies to shut up in between rounds

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

He did tell him to shut up.

Jr. has natural talent, but this was a step too far too early. How about BJS. Taking zeros and doing it the traditional way. Fair play to him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I was right in thinking his old man told him how to sit on his stool then, thought i'd misheard. There was some cracking advice on show on saturday, (not just in the Eubank fight) my favourites were 'just do 'im' (said to Anthony Robinson) and 'Go out there and bash him up' (said to eubank)

There are some trainers who make you wonder how they ever got anywhere near a corner when you hear their advice between rounds. Assuming that HBO's interpreter is accurate, there are a hell of a lot of latin fighters whose trainer's stock lines are things like, "Come on, we can do this! Punch, punch! You can do it, come on! Time to go, let's go. Gimme everything you've got in this round, come on!"

I think the worst / most embarrassing chief second I've seen for a world-level fighter or world title holder is Norman Stone in John Ruiz's corner. He'd say (well, scream) about fifty words between rounds, and about thirty-five of them would be swear words, with the other fifteen being useless. After the bout he'd usually end up picking a fight with one of the opposing's fighter's team, especially if Ruiz lost.

To be fair, he seldom has to give any crucial advice as Floyd wins at a canter most of the time, but I do chuckle at Uncle Roger's input from time to time. These words of wisdom during the Mayweather-Gatti fight stand out.

"Soften that ass up a lil' bit mo'. Git that right hook in there, too. He need that. That's for the road. Punish that ass."
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

I quite liked Algieri's cornerman after a shellacking from pacman. 'We're right where we needed to be'

To be fair I think he was cut off before he could add 'if where we needed to be is on our way to hospital'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:I quite liked Algieri's cornerman after a shellacking from pacman. 'We're right where we needed to be'

To be fair I think he was cut off before he could add 'if where we needed to be is on our way to hospital'

That trainer looked like a boobie all night. So did Algeri with some of his comments. Smug, even in defeat.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm

Wasn't there the classic incident with Erik Morales' corner when the interpreter said they'd asked him if he wanted ice water on his balls?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Wasn't there the classic incident with Erik Morales' corner when the interpreter said they'd asked him if he wanted ice water on his balls?

who needs a panama lewis 'black bottle' when you can perk your fighter up with a few ice cubes

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm

Don't hold out a lot of hope for Eubank Jr.

Now he is stepped up a bit he doesn't look to have anywhere near his old mans skill levels.

He's an athlete, has heart and a will to fight I'll give him that. Can't see him being trained into a world beater, just doesn't have the natural skills. Footwork cumbersome and punches wild without accuracy. Got beat to the punch by BJS for a lot of the fight also.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

The performance of the corner is always judged from the outcome of the fight, and as such it's hard to actually judge it from an unbiased view; for example when Vic Andrettii's last words to Benn before the bell rang against Barkley " forget the tactics, go and knock this c**t out" seem inspired, when Correra said much the same to Lewis before McCall, we treat it with derision.
When Davies tells junior to to war with Saunders (not actually bad advise, given that dragging him into a war was his best bet) we criticise, but I'll bet that had Hearns gone on to win against Leonard first time out, we would not all have Dundee's "you're blowing it now son" speech as our favorite corner speech- more likely we would have said that rather than pointing out the bleedingly obvious, he should have been offering advice about slipping jabs and working the body.
The greater problem is that Jnr seems to have adopted his father's no one can teach me anything attitude, and that is extending into the gym, then it doesn't matter who's hands are in the pads, he's not going to learn.
The criticism of Davies that I do agree with is that by his own admission, he doesn't have a fight plan (old school ,apparently according to the man himself). The likes of Eddie Futch, and brother Naz spend hours watching tapes of the opposition and coming up,with strategies to neutralize their strengths. I know which type of trainer I'd rather give 10% to.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:29 pm

horizontalhero wrote:The performance of the corner is always judged from the outcome of the fight, and as such it's hard to actually judge it from an unbiased view; for example when Vic Andrettii's last words to Benn before the bell rang against Barkley " forget the tactics, go and knock this c**t out" seem inspired, when Correra said much the same to Lewis before McCall, we treat it with derision.
When Davies tells junior to to war with Saunders (not actually bad advise, given that dragging him into a war was his best bet) we criticise, but I'll bet that had Hearns gone on to win against Leonard first time out, we would not all have Dundee's "you're blowing it now son" speech as our favorite corner speech- more likely we would have said that rather than pointing out the bleedingly obvious, he should have been offering advice about slipping jabs and working the body.
The greater problem is that Jnr seems to have adopted his father's no one can teach me anything attitude, and that is extending into the gym, then it doesn't matter who's hands are in the pads, he's not going to learn.
The criticism of Davies that I do agree with is that by his own admission, he doesn't have a fight plan  (old school ,apparently according to the man himself). The likes of Eddie Futch, and brother Naz spend hours watching tapes of the opposition and coming up,with strategies to neutralize their strengths. I know which type of trainer I'd rather give 10% to.

This is it in a nutshell. If Jr. doesn't listen, he won’t perform

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

horizontalhero wrote:The performance of the corner is always judged from the outcome of the fight, and as such it's hard to actually judge it from an unbiased view; for example when Vic Andrettii's last words to Benn before the bell rang against Barkley " forget the tactics, go and knock this c**t out" seem inspired, when Correra said much the same to Lewis before McCall, we treat it with derision.
The criticism of Davies that I do agree with is that by his own admission, he doesn't have a fight plan  (old school ,apparently according to the man himself). The likes of Eddie Futch, and brother Naz spend hours watching tapes of the opposition and coming up,with strategies to neutralize their strengths. I know which type of trainer I'd rather give 10% to.

I'd suggest the best trainers are the ones who can do both. It's no different to man management in any walk of life. If you know your man, you should know when he needs reminding of his game plan, when he needs some tactical advice, when he needs encouragement and his confidence building up, and when he needs a rocket up his arse. I would agree though, that if you only have the latter option in your locker, you are maybe taking your 10% under false pretences.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

Think you have to be careful over knee jerk reactions after fights like this. Let's keep a sense of proportion, Eubank lost a close fight to a more experienced opponent Saturday, there is maybe not a need to push the panic button just yet. However I do think his corner needs some looking at. Whilst I love his old man as a fighter and he amuses me now, given fighters have survived in the corner for over 100 years without some overdressed idiot strutting about and talking nonsense I can't help but feel Jnr could do likewise.

I suspect Davies is a decent enough trainer in the gym from a fitness perspective he is a bit lacking tactically. Not a problem with Chris Senior who would almost certainly have done what he wanted whoever was in the corner, but with a raw fighter like Chris someone with a bit more measured and technical approach may be beneficial.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

Rowley wrote:Think you have to be careful over knee jerk reactions after fights like this. Let's keep a sense of proportion, Eubank lost a close fight to a more experienced opponent Saturday, there is maybe not a need to push the panic button just yet. However I do think his corner needs some looking at. Whilst I love his old man as a fighter and he amuses me now, given fighters have survived in the corner for over 100 years without some overdressed idiot strutting about and talking nonsense I can't help but feel Jnr could do likewise.

I suspect Davies is a decent enough trainer in the gym from a fitness perspective he is a bit lacking tactically. Not a problem with Chris Senior who would almost certainly have done what he wanted whoever was in the corner, but with a raw fighter like Chris someone with a bit more measured and technical approach may be beneficial.

Someone like Jimmy Tibbs would fit the bill perfectly.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm

Both he and his father are completely stuck up their own areas, and I noticed a few fights ago Eubank Jnr Snubbed his trainer and said "yes, i know what im doing" .. when he had a couple poor rounds..

The pare of them at the end even though putting on a good front for the PR, they had the vibe of, how dare these little peasants beat us..

That being said, this fight was to soon for him, silly really, he needed to step up slowly, BJS is a very good fighter, maybe not elite but in or around world class.. So why was Eubank in there so quick?, because they got big for their boots that why.

He has the potential to be a world champ and a good one at that but needs to be more humble and take more advice and get away from his old man, but those things could be hi down fall as I cant foresee him over coming them. I wish he would take that stupid, I am a gladiator, face off..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down