The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm

+17
ryanbailey
bigjonatkinson
skimpton
jjimbojames
CJB
djlovesyou
teassoc
Tianjing
TrackJack
MD_track_fan
ian_jamsie
lsabre
armchairfan1
camerajuan
lfc91
davidl1061
tootingmick
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm Empty UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm

Post by tootingmick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Bit surprised that Anyika Onoura was prefered to Jody Williams
in the 100m and maybe the selector(s) did not realise that Shana
Cox could not compete for GB this season !
No outstanding performances yet by our 400m or 1,500m
men so the reluctance to select anyone is understandable
but time is running out to impress.

tootingmick

Back to top Go down

UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm Empty Re: UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm

Post by davidl1061 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Dai Greene been announced as team captain aswell. Looks like quite a strong team overall

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm Empty Re: UKA announce British team for the European Team Championships in Stockholm

Post by lfc91 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

In regards to the 100m at the team championships, do people think it will just be a race between Chambers and Lemaitre for 1st and 2nd?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

UKA need to sort their heads out and pick Chambers for a relay. This one eye on London theory they have going on is ridiculous. Devonish - MLF worked brilliantly in Athens & then failed badly at the CG 2 years later. Consistent selection doesn't guarantee the best team.

Chambers on anchor against Mbandjock = Better than the Euros team did last year.

camerajuan

https://www.youtube.com/user/pondguard22?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Big Shame about Idowu. Defintley weakens the GB team. Who do we think will be the replacement?

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Wed 08 Jun 2011, 8:55 pm

By the way, Eilish McColgan has been named as a travelling reserve for the British team so looks like following in the footsteps of her mother, former World 10000m champion Eliz. Really glad for her!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:45 am

It is a really strong line up.

We won't be that competative in the throws again however.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Conrad Williams and James Shane have been named by the British selectors to fill the remaining vacancies on the squad to compete next weekend in Stockholm.

http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/june-2011/10-06-11-team-for-etc/

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:15 am

Well, the British team may have found the stand-in for Phillips Idowu in next week's European Teams Champs in U23 Kola Adedoyin who leapt to a SB of 15.81m into a -1.5m/sec headwind at the ASICS Gouden Spike at Leiden, Holland, today.

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

Lsabre will the Team champs be on terrestrial tv?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

Coverage starts saturday at 1.45, bbc 1 Smile Is he any good?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by MD_track_fan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Entries coming through here:

http://www.european-athletics.org/entries-etch-s-women.html

http://www.european-athletics.org/entries-etch-s-men.html

The title says they are for Bergen last year, but they are definitely this years!!

I was looking for last years results when I found them.

MD_track_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

lsabre wrote:I don't know yet. By the way, as I speculated Kola Adedoyin has been named in the triple jump for the British team.

Haven't Nathan Fox & Ben Williams jumped further this year? Or are they unavailable for the ETC?

camerajuan

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

Actually, I know he hasn't jumped this year but I bet Larry Achike could pull a 16.50+ out of the bag first comp out. He managed 16.87 last year I think & the year before was over 17m consistently for a while.

camerajuan

Back to top Go down

Post by TrackJack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Interesting, the UK seems to not have a LJ representative for women! is it a printing error, is Shara not competing? also Tiffany porter in the relay could be good! She is always first to hurdle 1 in her races so i will be looking to see her run fast.

TrackJack

Back to top Go down

Post by Tianjing Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

I think his predicitions look very sensible actually, and the British predicitions look about right.
He has not predicted places with blinkers on Isabre, obviously you will predict half of the British team to win, but we all know in reality that won't happen...

Tianjing

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Those BBC predictions look rather pessimistic to me. Obviously the team has been considerably weakened by withdrawals but many of the predictions e.g. both long jump events will be very disappointing to everyone if they are realised. Russia and Germany likely to be fighting it out at the top, but I wouldn't count out France and GB who might get in the mix.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

These are the predictions of Butlers mine are at the side of his.

Sat: women's hammer, Sophie Hitchon 8th---------6th
Sun: men's hammer, Andy Frost 11th----------9th
Sat: men's 400m hurdles, David Greene 1st------1st
Sun: women's shot putt, Rebecca Peake 11th---------10th
Sat: men's shot putt, Greg Beard 12th...........11th
Sun: men's 110m hurdles, Andy Turner 1st.......1st
Sat: men's long jump, Chris Tomlinson 5th.........3rd
Sun: women's long jump, Shara Proctor 7th..........4th
Sat: women's pole vault, Holly Bleasdale 5th.............4th
Sun: men's pole vault, Steven Lewis 5th...........4th
Sat: women's 100m, Anyika Onuora 4th..........4th
Sun: women's 200m, Abiodun Oyepitan 4th.........4th
Sat: men's 400m, Conrad Williams 3rd............4th
Sun: men's 800m, Gareth Warburton 6th.............7th
Sat: women's javelin, Goldie Sayers 5th..........4th
Sun: women's high jump, Emma Perkins 11th.....11th
Sat: women's 800m, Jenny Meadows 2nd.........1st
Sun: men's discus, Brett Morse 7th..............5th
Sat: men's high jump, Samson Oni 6th.............5th
Sun: women's 100m hurdles, Tiffany Porter 1st......1st
Sat: men's 100m, Dwain Chambers 2nd.............1st
Sun: men's 3,000m, Andy Baddeley 2nd.........3rd
Sat: women's 3,000m, Stevie Stockton 9th......10
Sun: women's 1,500m, Charlene Thomas 4th.........5th
Sat: women's 400m hurdles, Perri Shakes-Drayton 1st
Sun: men's triple jump, Kola Adedoyin 12th......1th
Sat: women's triple jump, Yasmine Regis 10th.......9th
Sun: men's 200m, Danny Talbot 3rd.....3rd
Sat: men's 1,500m, James Shane 5th.......6th
Sun: women's discus, Jade Nicholls 8th...........8th
Sat: women's 3km steeplechase, Eilish McColgan 9th............10
Sun: women's 5,000m, Helen Clitheroe 3rd.........3rd
Sat: men's javelin, James Campbell 7th.............8th
Sun: men's 3km steeplechase, Luke Gunn 7th.........8th
Sat: women's 400m, Shana Cox 5th...........4th
Sun: women's 4x400m, 2nd..........1st
Sat: men's 5,000m, Andy Vernon 4th............6th
Sun: men's 4x400m, 1st........2nd
Sat: women's 4x100m, 5th.......4th
Sat: men's 4x100m, 1st..........2nd

What do others predict?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

To be fair to Eilish, this isn't her main event and she was called in at late notice to cover. I think any PB under the circumstances is great for her Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tianjing Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

It concerns me none at all Isabre what you predict, i just respect the predictions made by Mark Butler, one of the most respected statisticians of the sport around, i think if anyone gain understand the complexity and picture of an event it is him.....
I come to cause no trouble at all, and if people don't think what i say might be right that is fine by me, it is a discussion forum after all !

Tianjing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

Tianjing wrote:if people don't think what i say might be right that is fine by me, it is a discussion forum after all !
Exactly right.
This forum is for freedom of speech and the expression of different opinions.

There are different views on Mark Butler and that's fine. Debate is what this place is all about. If everyone agreed the forum would be a very boring place indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

As far as predictions go, Mark Butler got very close in total to the actual end of day figure (158 to 157). The GB position would have been quite a bit better of course if the womens relay team hadn't been disqualified. Flashcoach would then have been much closer to the end result.

Some real gaffs in the men's 400 m, men's 1500 m, men's long jump, women's 400 m, women's 3000 m and women's javelin. With the exception of the former, he was generally too pessimistic about individual results by GB athletes in those events. The relay DQ meant he didn't end the day with (some) egg on his face.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

I can understand why he was pessimistic about the Women's javelin what with Goldie not having competed much since her surgery, think with the others he probably could have been a bit more positive. Still he wasn't that far off I guess.

Isabre - I wasn't aware Eilish was going to concentrate on the steeplechase but I confess I was going by what the commentary team were saying that they just said it wasn't her main event. If she is going to concentrate on it then she should be encouraged by today's performance. She's got a huge scope for improvement there thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

Eilish needs to work on her water jump first, her flat speed seemed fine to me.

Nothing more frustrating than watching (or being) a steeplechaser that gives away metres on the water jump and then spends the next lap getting back to the group in front. She has a lot of potential.

As for predictions are concerned, they're just predictions. Not sure any could be described as gaffs per se. Although James Shane wasn't a massive shock given that the 1500 is always slow and he's a good finisher. That's why he was picked, just like McCourt last year.

That said, to run around his PB in a race like that definitely shows he's got a 3.36 in him right now.

As for Y I Man's comments. You're completely correct in what you say, but this individual only has 'full respect for Mark Butler as a statistician' because lsabre suggested that he might be a bit wrong. If lsabre had suggested that Mark Butler was amazing, we would have seen a different comment.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

djlovesyou wrote: but this individual only has 'full respect for Mark Butler as a statistician' because lsabre suggested that he might be a bit wrong. If lsabre had suggested that Mark Butler was amazing, we would have seen a different comment.
He has only made 6 posts. What happens on other forums is irrelevant. Everyone gets a new start here. If issues become apparent going forward they will be dealt with. But here he has done nothing wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

Fair enough, I wasn't asking you to do anything about it.

I just found it amusing, given that at least half of this 'new' individuals posts have been goading lsabre.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

From what I can see, there has been only one question directed at Isabre.
From the other posts it has been a matter of opinion.

Instead of having a go at each other, can we not just get along and debate?

I'm sure you don't want a section where everyone is having a pop and having a dig at everyone else, I know I don't. Lets please keep things on topic and try to get along. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tianjing Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:16 pm

Djlovesyou

I don't post on Athleticsdaily so am not one of their trolls. I just disagreed with what Isabre said regarding Mark Butlers predictions, im sure Isabre is a big enough man to not take these comments to heart.

Tianjing

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

When did I ever say anything about athletics daily?

I only said you had an issue with lsabre.

Thanks for confirming though. That's enough from me.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

Members can have different opinions, that does not mean they have issues with other posers.
Again, please keep this on topic or I'm locking this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

My initial point was very much on-topic, yet other people jumped all over the footnote.

It's probably best that you don't send a thread off-topic yourself and then lock it for going off-topic.

I'm happy for members to have different opinions, as long as they don't have vendettas.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

djlovesyou wrote:
It's probably best that you don't send a thread off-topic yourself and then lock it for going off-topic.
As an administrator for the forum I was addressing issues directed at a poster and then asked for the thread to be kept on topic afterwards. If we need to intervene then we will. I suggest you drop the matter or contact me via pm if you wish to take it further.

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

DjLovesYou, James Shane's PB is 3:39.11 set in Huelva, Spain, a few weeks ago. He was narrowly outside that in 3:39.21 today.

As concerns Eilish McColgan, I know that she gradually turns her focus on the steeplechase by the very person that coaches her, Eliz McColgan.

Finally, as concerns Mike Butler's predictions, he got very near as concerns points totalled at the end of the first day but he missed no less than 5 top three places today (Shane, Vernon, Cox, Sayers, Tomlinson) which is no mean amount to me.

As I've said, athletics is far more than statistics. Form and competitive attitude weigh a lot more in the overall picture.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

lsabre wrote: Finally, as concerns Mike Butler's predictions, he got very near as concerns points totalled at the end of the first day but he missed no less than 5 top three places today (Shane, Vernon, Cox, Sayers, Tomlinson) which is no mean amount to me.

As I've said, athletics is far more than statistics. Form and competitive attitude weigh a lot more in the overall picture.

Yes as some of us had pointed out Mike Butler was a little too conservative in his predictions. Following the re-instatement of the women's relay team flashcoach was much closer.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

Phillips Idowu elaborates on the alleged 'tweeted' announcement of his withdrawal from the European Team Champs claiming that he had already notified Charles van Commennee in time of his decision:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13824740.stm

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

I post on athleticsdaily and athleticsweekly and this forum Tianjing there are no troll on the any of them as far as I am concerned and each one offers something different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This forum is for freedom of speech and the expression of different opinions.

There are different views on Mark Butler and that's fine. Debate is what this place is all about. If everyone agreed the forum would be a very boring place indeed.

Thank YI MAN for your help on this board 8)

An effective moderator ensures that no abuse takes place and everyone is supported to post their own opinions regardless of how others might react to them, providing they are presented in a reasonable manner Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

So far, you have hardly shown any reasonable manner either here or elsewhere, Flash. So I don't know whether someone else may have bought your fibs you're 'attacked', I know that you provoke people either here or elsewhere. So make sure that you comply and show proper conduct over here because I don't buy your fibs for one.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

I just want to say that what happens on other forums is irrelevant.
This is a new site, and a fresh start for everyone.
If members post in accordance with the site rules here then everything is coolio.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:57 am

So far, you have hardly shown any reasonable manner either here or elsewhere, Flash. So I don't know whether someone else may have bought your fibs you're 'attacked', I know that you provoke people either here or elsewhere. So make sure that you comply and show proper conduct over here because I don't buy your fibs for one.

lsabre

How coolio is this then YI Man?

calling me a liar then deleting this post, once again I ask who moderates the moderators??

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

Isabre can you look after fantasy page for me. I'm out for rest of evening, tommorow and get back late wednesday. If you could post start lists when they are out and remind a few people if possible that would be brilliant

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

He would if he was allowed to do what he was elected to do.

That power has been taken away.

He is mortal now.

camerajuan

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

What people do on other boards IS relevant IMHO - particularly when they do the same thing over here and are allowed to do so. Where does one end up going when the same drivel is spouted on every board, and no one stops them? I signed up here to get away from the constant political-led drivel, in the hope someone would stop it being posted, unlike the BBC 606 - sadly both here and AW, and to a lesser extent TFN, are becoming less able to see the woods for the trees furious

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

ok, this is all I'm saying on the subject.

People can have an opinion and can post their opinions on an open forum.
If posts do not break site rules, then they stay. If posts break site rules, then action is taken. We do not sensor opinion.

If you disagree with the posts, you can either debate it, or ignore it.
If you don't want to debate a subject, make a new thread to debate something else.
Its that simple.

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

Can't believe Lsabre was demoted.
All was going so well on this forum.
He was trying to protect this forum from going the same way that the original 606 went.
He was the most committed and dedicated post on here. 99% of his post were factual and I know a lot of athletes used this site to look up result and keep abreats with things.
We voted him in as moderator for Athletics and it should have been up to us to vote him off.

Why didnt the admins put it to the vote?!!

Can we do a poll to reinstate him?

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

pm for you Skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Agree with the above comment that Isabre was putting in a hell of a lot of effort into providing results from around the world in one place in an extremely prompt manner. I found it extremely useful and interesting. However I don't agree with censorship without good reason so if that's what's happened then that's not on. However I think admin should cool it a bit and stop the draconian threats to lock topics if they go slightly off-piste. I think you should employ a more laissez-faire approach and only intervene if, as you cite, posts get personal, sexist, racist or inflammatory. You cannot threaten people into a pleasant debate.

Also describing in detail in public everything Isabre has meant to have done, regardless of whether he has or hasn't done seriously lacks class (hobo)

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:47 pm

I was on the old BBC 606 which frequently descended into a political argument against UKA and then of course back again in response.
lsabre was trying to prevent that happening again here, and this forum up to now was going so strong.... until the recent little digs began.

We the members voted him in, it should be up to us to vote him out. That is democracy.

Without lsabre this Athletics forum will be less than 5% of what it was.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

Isabre is still free to post on here i presume??? It is not as if he has lost his posting privileges?

Is Flash still around for his anti UKA debates?

Or have they both gone?

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

guys, the decision is not for public discussion.
If you want to take it further, please by all means pm the admin team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

It is only when topics go off on a tangent discussing modertion issues or if a thread becomes abusive then a lock may be necessary.

The Admin of the site will not tolerate any censorshp of opinions. As YI Man said, feel free to pm the Admin Team with any other queries.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next