The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ is off to Northampton.

+30
SirBurger
LondonTiger
whocares
doctor_grey
niwatts
BlueMuff
brennomac
gleesonisgod
MunsterMac
profitius
Sgt_Pooly
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
George Carlin
The Great Aukster
BigTrevsbigmac
HammerofThunor
Cumbrian
The Saint
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
BamBam
VinceWLB
thebandwagonsociety
SecretFly
Geordie
Rugby Fan
rodders
GunsGerms
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

JJ is off to Northampton. Empty JJ is off to Northampton.

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 am

Bad news for Munster fans.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/jj-hanrahan-is-set-to-leave-munster-for-northampton-1.2031807

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

JJ is off to Northampton. Empty Re: JJ is off to Northampton.

Post by rodders Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:24 am

If he gets game time then its good news for Ireland. Obviously not rated by Foley.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:26 am

Yeah it could be good for Ireland eventually. Myler is old and not that good so JJ may just get his game over there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

I still think he's a midfielder with his pace and step. Naturally he's more physical than Madigan and Olding as well.

Time will tell but he won't develop into anything at Munster the way things are going.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:23 am

GunsGerms wrote:...Myler is old and not that good...
Well, Charlie Hodgson and Nick Evans are both four years older than Myler, and both are still first choice 10s for their clubs. Myler still gets the job done for Saints, so it'll be up to JJ to show he can do more for the team.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:27 am

Yeah, Saints aren't exactly a bad side with Myler directing things.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 am

Myler is a journey man rugby league convert. JJ was a 2012 junior world player of the year nominee and still only 22. I reckon he would overtake Myler fairly quickly. Otherwise what would be the point of heading to England anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 am

JJ............... from next big hope down in Munster to no-hoper under Foley?

I suppose JJ failed the Initiation ceremony that Foley insisted every player went through when he became Head Coach.

I'm not going to talk about the details here but Sin é will know what I'm refering to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:20 am

Surprised by the move. Would have thought he would overtake Keatley by the middle of next season for the 10 jersey and his other position in the centre is an area of limited depth for Munster.

Is there someone coming through behind him that he feels the pressure from (what is in the academy at Munster at outhalf and centre?)?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 am

This is strange as he is much better than Keatley.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:38 am

VinceWLB wrote:This is strange as he is much better than Keatley.

Em............... maybe he can't sing on the buses?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 am

I don't know enough about Hanrahan to comment on his prospects at Saints, but to call Myler a journey man is severely underrating him IMO

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 am

His agent is Fintain Drury (same agent as Sexton & SOB). Northampton have offered him 180K a year which no Irish province could pay to a lad who has just gone 22.

Fly, I haven't a clue what you are talking about!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 am

...maybe it's all a con that is done just to squeeze as much out of Munster/IRFU as possible for a contract extension. Because it does seem strange that the Irish boys would let him go without a blink, given how much they realised their error with Sexton.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 am

SecretFly wrote:...maybe it's all a con that is done just to squeeze as much out of Munster/IRFU as possible for a contract extension.  Because it does seem strange that the Irish boys would let him go without a blink, given how much they realised their error with Sexton.

Considering who his agent is, its hardly surprising to see his new contract being negotiated through the newspapers (though interesting this time that it was the Irish Times rather than the Indo). I wonder has that got anything to do with Denis O'Brien now bankrolling some players wages?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:45 am

I'm guessing UL Bohemions weren't prepared to break the bank to keep him fly? ... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 am

Latest rumour is that Madigan is moving to Munster (which would explain a lot)!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 am

Sin é wrote:His agent is Fintain Drury (same agent as Sexton & SOB). Northampton have offered him 180K a year which no Irish province could pay to a lad who has just gone 22.

Fly, I haven't a clue what you are talking about!

This age rated malarky again? When are we going to get over ourselves in Ireland with this ancient tradition that you only become a player of worth here when you pass your Jesus Christ birthday of 33? Then you get to play in the Senior ranks and then you get paid a decent wage?

If a guy of 22 brings a 180K a year value to a Province and that Province can, in real terms, afford it, then he's worth it. If he goes it'll be because Foley and the lads don't think JJ is worth it. So they'll be proved wrong or right in what JJ does with Northampton. But JJ didn't become less of a player in the few months Foley has been Head Coach - so I'd wonder where the reasoning of worth comes from.

And on the second point. Do your homework Sin - there's been stories!!! Wink If I heard them, then I'm very surprised you haven't.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 am

Fair play to him he has been fairly shafted by Munster. Not sure if this is the right move though as he may not be first choice at 10 or 12.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 am

It's a shame to see such a talented young player fall out of international consideration altogether. But he wasn't developing at all at Munster and this is a good chance for him to prove he can do a good job for another Irish province.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am

Notch wrote:It's a shame to see such a talented young player fall out of international consideration altogether. But he wasn't developing at all at Munster and this is a good chance for him to prove he can do a good job for another Irish province.

Northampton is becoming the Fifth Irish Province?   There'll be fireworks for this...Champagne all round!!!!!!!!!!!!  Welcome to Ireland lads!  Water charges on the left and extra taxes on your right.

Last edited by SecretFly on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am

He won't be out of international contention. Ok he will have to play out of his skin to get into the Ireland squads but the likes of Morris has already gotten into a couple of Ireland squads

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:He won't be out of international contention. Ok he will have to play out of his skin to get into the Ireland squads but the likes of Morris has already gotten into a couple of Ireland squads

He really shouldn't be considered though. I would say after this season when Sexton comes back we should make it pretty much officially unofficial that outside Ireland equals no international representation for anyone, except in true emergencies.

It's a card we have to play when we can be out-bid by other clubs. I never, ever want to go to game in Dublin open the programme and see the words 'Northampton', 'Clermont', 'Toulon' besides players names. It's fine if you want to move. But we should not be picking players for the national side who are outside the system.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Notch wrote:It's a shame to see such a talented young player fall out of international consideration altogether. But he wasn't developing at all at Munster and this is a good chance for him to prove he can do a good job for another Irish province.

He developed well enough to be offered a massive amount of cash to move to Northampton. He has been carrying a groin injury for the last 2 years which has prevented him training/playing (rest was cure). He has also been finishing off his degree in UL (doing Business Studies finals this year).

He'd be worth a lot more if he was internationally capped though!

Last edited by Sin é on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Sin é wrote:Latest rumour is that Madigan is moving to Munster (which would explain a lot)!

I heard he was off to Connacht along with Isaac Boss and Mike Ross in return for Henshaw, Ah You and Marmion.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Myler is a journey man rugby league convert. JJ was a 2012 junior world player of the year nominee and still only 22. I reckon he would overtake Myler fairly quickly. Otherwise what would be the point of heading to England anyway.

A journeyman who has been on the fringe of England and lead Saints to the Prem Crown last season and a good chance of repeating.

JJ may be the future that Saints are investing in....but he needs to rethink..... if he thinks he can just walk in and take Mylers shirt.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Seems like a daft decision the IRFU letting this guy go. I wouldn't say Ireland are well stocked at 10 right now, though I will say that I think JJ is good enough to be No.2 choice behind Sexton for Ireland.

SecretFly wrote:

This age rated malarky again?  When are we going to get over ourselves in Ireland with this ancient tradition that you only become a player of worth here when you pass your Jesus Christ birthday of 33?  Then you get to play in the Senior ranks and then you get paid a decent wage?

I've noticed this myself. With a few minor exceptions, Ireland take their time promoting players. Once your out of the U20s in Wales you're pretty much almost there. Could it be a drawback of central contracts in Ireland? DOC and ROG were playing for a lot longer than they should have.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:56 pm

The Saint wrote:Seems like a daft decision the IRFU letting this guy go. I wouldn't say Ireland are well stocked at 10 right now, though I will say that I think JJ is good enough to be No.2 choice behind Sexton for Ireland.

SecretFly wrote:

This age rated malarky again?  When are we going to get over ourselves in Ireland with this ancient tradition that you only become a player of worth here when you pass your Jesus Christ birthday of 33?  Then you get to play in the Senior ranks and then you get paid a decent wage?

I've noticed this myself. With a few minor exceptions, Ireland take their time promoting players. Once your out of the U20s in Wales you're pretty much almost there. Could it be a drawback of central contracts in Ireland? DOC and ROG were playing for a lot longer than they should have.

It's deeper than rugby though. It's cultural.

Look at our Politicians... most of the leading ones and even next in commands are all aging. The younger ones know their place - sit down, be quiet, hold your tongue and wait to knife the leader in the back when you yourself are well into your 50s. We even had one senior senior politician who when dropped from a cabinet role, bemoaned the ambitions of youth that didn't do the long term back-bencher slog and want to instantly rise through the ranks without the 'apprenticeship'. And here was me thinking politics is about ideas and principles not some actorish craft that must be learned over the centuries on cobwebbed back benches.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm

I agree with GF about Myler. I don't get where the idea that he is a 'journeyman' has come from, he's been playing for Northampton for the last 8 years and managed to rack up 240 odd matches for them! The bloke has fought very hard to become first choice at Northampton and in the process become an extremely able and consistent player.

I remember seeing Hanrahan in the U20s so I know he's a good player, but he's being forced out of Munster due to lack of game time (seems to be the consensus on other forums I've read) and there is the expectation that he is going to come in and simply take over from Myler? It may happen, but it won't for a good couple of seasons IMO and by then Myler will probably be off picking up a pension in France.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Myler is a journeyman. A very good one but certainly not a master. But sometimes that's good enough. And JJ certainly isn't a master either. He may never even be journeyman.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:22 pm

He couldn't wish for a better coach than Alex King if he goes to Saints.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:27 pm

According to David Kelly of Indo, Gloucester & Leicester also interested.

Fairplay to Fintan Drury, he knows how to cook up a storm!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:He couldn't wish for a better coach than Alex King if he goes to Saints.

He already asked for a better coach than Penney.... and look where that got him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Sin é wrote:According to David Kelly of Indo, Gloucester & Leicester also interested.

He pays Gloucester, Leicester and Northampton little backhander brown envelopes to say they're interested???? Yep, that's a dandy way to up the price..... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:He couldn't wish for a better coach than Alex King if he goes to Saints.

He already asked for a better coach than Penney.... and look where that got him.

Mannix was his coach in Munster - I'm surprised we haven't heard that Pau (who are likely to be in Top 14 next season) are not in for him as well.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:According to David Kelly of Indo, Gloucester & Leicester also interested.

He pays Gloucester, Leicester and Northampton little backhander brown envelopes to say they're interested????  Yep, that's a dandy way to up the price..... Wink

Well, everyone seems to know how much Northampton are offering Smile Nice of Northampton to tell everyone Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 pm

SecretFly wrote:

He pays Gloucester, Leicester and Northampton little backhander brown envelopes to say they're interested????  Yep, that's a dandy way to up the price..... Wink

I'd imagine both David Humphreys & Laurie Fisher would be well aware of JJ's talents. Making it public knowledge that JJ looks like leaving Munster for 190K p.a. will bring in a few offers from other clubs if they think he is really prepared to leave.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:37 pm

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:Latest rumour is that Madigan is moving to Munster (which would explain a lot)!

I heard he was off to Connacht along with Isaac Boss and Mike Ross in return for Henshaw, Ah You and Marmion.

Please tell me that isn't true. Marmion and Henshaw will make Connacht over the course of the next 3-4 seasons, we could finally have all 4 provinces up there, there wouldn't be the impression of a 3 and 1. It will promote rugby over there and build the crowd attendance for games, sales of jerseys (which you see more and more of even in Dublin).

If Connacht needed a scrum half bring back the ageless Stringer rather than deal with the aging Boss.

And as for Ross.... he has done plenty for province and country so any move should be his shout (be it stay, Connacht or head down south).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Good move for JJ. He is stagnating while Madigan, Keatley and Jackson have all overtaken him, with Scannell coming up on the rails at Munster.

His place kicking is excellent, and he offers an X factor with the ball in hand, but he just needs more experience at running a game. Obviously Saints think they can give him that experience.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Well apart from the fact I just made it up, I couldn't in good consience swear that it won't happen.... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Nothing but net from a JJ perspective.
Looks a lot like poor man management from a Munster perspective.
To have a better player leave and a worse player stay is just mad, Ted.
But as with Tom Heathcote at Barf, JJ is too good not to play each week.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Would Connacht not have been a better move?

They could do with an outhalf of his quality? OK they couldn't match the pay, but as least he would be in the Irish set up.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Saints have Myler, Hooley (local lad, good all rounder and still young) as well as Olver (England under 20) and Harry Mallinder (England under 18). Joel Hodgson is also on the books and can play ten at AP level. Can't see this deal happening. Especially considering those likely to leave Saints this summer.

Glaws have several ten options including England under 20 Burns Jnr. Tigers would only be interested if Williams leaves but forget 180k even if we're talking Euros as the budget will be tight.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 pm

So he's not wanted anywhere but everyone is looking for him? That's a neat trick Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:26 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Myler is a journey man rugby league convert. JJ was a 2012 junior world player of the year nominee and still only 22. I reckon he would overtake Myler fairly quickly. Otherwise what would be the point of heading to England anyway.

Myler has took Saints to a HC final & claimed an AP winners medal in recent years, what has JJ done to suggest he's a better 10? He can't even get in the Munster side at the minute and Myler is a better fly half then Keatley.

Claiming he was a nominee for JIRB Player of the year means little, so were Ignacio Rodriguez Muedra, Carl Fearns, Robbie Coleman, Richard Kingi.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Myler has took Saints to a HC final & claimed an AP winners medal in recent years, what has JJ done to suggest he's a better 10 than Myler?

Claiming he was a nominee for JIRB Player of the year means little, so were Ignacio Rodriguez Muedra, Carl Fearns, Robbie Coleman, Richard Kingi.

Myler is 30? JJ is 22. JJ has 8 years to prove he's better. Maybe we should wait before we compare like with like

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Myler has took Saints to a HC final & claimed an AP winners medal in recent years, what has JJ done to suggest he's a better 10? He can't even get in the Munster side at the minute and Myler is a better fly half then Keatley.

Northampton took Myler to the final and he demonstrated he wasnt up to the task.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 pm

How is possible to gauge to potential?

Myler is the better player currently and by a fair distance. Saints also have Will Hooley who "could" be a top flyhalf. I was raising the point that JJ will overtake Myler fairly quickly.....this won't happen.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would Connacht not have been a better move?

They could do with an outhalf of his quality? OK they couldn't match the pay, but as least he would be in the Irish set up.

Yeah it would have been a good move for JJ.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:42 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Northampton took Myler to the final and he demonstrated he wasnt up to the task.

You don't get to a HC final with a poor 10. Saying that, Myler has came on leaps from that final and is a much more rounded player.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next