The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's fights

+32
rapidringsroad
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
sittingringside
tunes666
John Bloody Wayne
catchweight
hogey
Herman Jaeger
AdamT
Kareem61
Strongback
Coxy001
3fingers
kingraf
hampo17
bellchees
Hammersmith harrier
Marky
RatBoy66
Duty281
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
DuransHorse
thelastbellender
owen10ozzy
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
milkyboy
88Chris05
spencerclarke
wheelchair1991
CallMeBenji
36 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tonight's fights - Page 3 Empty Tonight's fights

Post by CallMeBenji Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anybody know the time of Andy Lee's fight? I've seen that khan has tweeted he's ring walking at 4am. Anybody staying up for the fights?

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Tonight's fights - Page 3 Empty Re: Tonight's fights

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:11 am

This is the reason I love and hate watching Khan....despite all of this I have sit on edge of chair for another 3 minutes because you just never know...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:12 am

That's the first time i've seen him over exert himself in a flurry and it still worries me, loses his footwork and balance ever so slightly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:13 am

You can see where the potential danger for floyd is though looking at this fight, khan is very very effective on the outside in the cnetre of the ring with them long arms and blistering speed although obviously Floyd is in a different league to devon

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:13 am

JUST FU**ING RUN AMIR....RUN!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:15 am

Khan landing some really eye catching shots Alexander going for him but nothing serious landing he doesn't look like he believes anymore khan 11 1

Still wild but such a magical performance. Ppv everyday of the week

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am

118-110 Khan. Top class performance.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by thelastbellender Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am

yes but hes not getting any younger and we all know what deteriorates first! I think Khan is so vulnerable and relies so much on his speed any fight against Mayweather is a car crash waiting to happen even though he is only in it for the money.

thelastbellender

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 am

Well done Amir. Superb footwork.

117-111? I'm just being generous!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 am

Shock horror, Khan with blistering handspeed utilises that as much as possible.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:19 am

Even if he fights really cautious it will always be PPV because he can be knocked out; PPV keeps you on the edge of the site and it's exactly what he does. He found the right balance between attack and defence; didn't exert himself when he didn't need to and after all the crap the commentators spewed all night they did make a very very good point...he is much much better on his feet in terms of not wasting his movement and sitting down enough to get respect for his power but not to much that he stays in range too long.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:19 am

I doubt he's just here for the money but goodnight lovers and bitches

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:20 am

Yet again, khan shows how hard he is to outbox. I'm sure the haters will say Alexander isn't up to it, but basically when you rely on your speed, and the other guy is quicker, this is what can happen.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:23 am

If that was Mayweather fighting him the drum would be banged that it was virtuoso. You take Khans last two fights and they are about as close to perfect as you can get; especially when you factor in his major flaw.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:25 am

Don't see how anyone can take anything away from Khan there. It wasn't all pitty-pat stuff as he's been accused of in the past - a lot of those shots had real purchase on them. At times he was countering the counter-puncher. His defence, while not water-tight by any means, was very good by his standards. He looked fit, conditioned, he was accurate, he showed concentration.....What more could you want? Along with the Maidana victory, this has been the crowning moment of his career so far.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:25 am

Absolutely brilliant performance from Amir. Night.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:30 am

Very good from Khan, done what he needed to do right from the 1st round. Didn't really expect anything else from Alexander, he's never fought any other way and wasn't going to change for this fight. Inept at coming forward and cutting off the ring and didn't manage to back Khan up to the ropes a single time. Khan focused like he was tonight and last time out is a real tough proposition for anyone at welterweight.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:41 am

Wow, a draw between Chaves and Bradley! Only saw the last two rounds - a scrappy but high-tempo affair by the looks of it. Both men have closed left eyes albeit it looks more like head clashes were primarily responsible rather than punches.

Judging by the commentators, most seem to think that Bradley won it relatively clearly with the catch being that some of the early rounds were hard to call. But as I said, I only saw the last couple of rounds, will need to see it in full to make a proper judgement.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:50 am

I only saw the first couple of rounds of Herrera-Benavidez before switching over to Thurman, and thought Herrera won both of them relatively clearly. He ended up losing the decision, and again the reports seem to be suggesting that the call from the judges was a bit dodgy to say the least. Anyone seen this in full yet?

Need to check that one out tomorrow as well along with the Bradley fight. Sounds as if there was something in the judging water on the other side of Vegas tonight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:39 am

Just watched the Korobov stoppage, inexperience really hurt him in that fight. Got clipped with a lovely punch, but instead of either taking a knee or grabbing he just stood there and let Lee unload punches, and while not many where landing he gave Bayliss the perfect opportunity to jump in as he didn't throw back.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:50 am

Andy Lee's right hand has a dynamite stick in it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:41 am

Egg on face. I rated korobov.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:11 am

Oleksandr Usyk won a difficult enough fight against Danie Venter as well. Took a few chin checks, but was never in a any real trouble. Stopped Danie, which is alright I suppose. Danie doesn't have the greatest chin in the world, but I suppose more questions answered.

Power in the latter rounds
Sturdy enough chin
Can maintain his activity (at least against a similarly sized cruiserweight).

Won some or other paperweight title which puts him in line for a shot at Huck, I think.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 am

3fingers wrote:Egg on face. I rated korobov.

Does that make your a koroborator?

To be fair fingers, you rate anyone with an Eastern European sounding name who ever fought as an amateur - so we won't hold it against you Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:10 am

milkyboy wrote:
3fingers wrote:Egg on face. I rated korobov.

To be fair fingers, you rate anyone with an Eastern European sounding name who ever fought as an amateur - so we won't hold it against you Wink

Ha, I didn't realise I was that transparent.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 am

88Chris05 wrote:I only saw the first couple of rounds of Herrera-Benavidez before switching over to Thurman, and thought Herrera won both of them relatively clearly. He ended up losing the decision, and again the reports seem to be suggesting that the call from the judges was a bit dodgy to say the least. Anyone seen this in full yet?

Need to check that one out tomorrow as well along with the Bradley fight. Sounds as if there was something in the judging water on the other side of Vegas tonight.

Dan Rafael was "disgusted" by the Herrera decision according to his Twitter. And he scored Bradley 119-109 before the draw was announced Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:50 am

118-110 Khan, Sky+'d it so only just watched it. Dominant performance and well controlled tactics. Gone up a notch in my eyes and no doubt others under Hunter.

Would like to see Brook next up who I believe is a step up from Devon, mentioned it before but promote it as a split ppv if fMJ and pacquiao get it on with the winner fighting the winner. Wembley here at 11pm and then the Vegas card etc.

Well done Amir, which he should view as humbling as I never praise the gobshite!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:59 am

Congrats Andy Lee, he's a nice lad.

Looks like BJS or winner of GGG v Golovkin next year.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:03 am

Khans best performance to date, the handspeed and the skills have always been there but his footwork has improved massively recently. The problem is you know that a dosgy performance is always just round the corner, might have to reevaluate my stance on a Brook fight now.

Still think Brook will win but it could be a very close fight, he won't go into his shell like Alexander did. The winner of that has to be in line for a big payday against either of the top two.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:22 am

I said I 'd reserve judgement until last nights fight. Khan beats brook for me, fairly comfortably. Dont think brook can bring the pressure needed to get to khan. Not sure khan would beat porter though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 am

GGG vs Golovkin would be a decent fight for sure
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:43 am

kingraf wrote:GGG vs Golovkin would be a decent fight for sure

GGG v *Murray.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 am

Very impressed with Khans performance, mature, disciplined yet still exciting to watch.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:00 am

Think Khan would give old Mayweather nightmares. He has the attributes to win that fight. Also would pick him to beat Manny now

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:13 am

Strongback wrote:

GGG v *Murray.

I prefer ggg v golovkin. Real pick em. Might be the most competitive fight out there for both of them. Boxing politics will probably keep them apart though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:14 am

It'd be a cracker for sure.

Fell asleep just moments before Khanys fight but reading through all this looks like he's put in another good performance. I think Hunter deserves a bit of credit for sure.

Doesn't deserve Floydy yet, but Brook and then a puncher and I think no one could grumble. Brook no doubt would secure the fight though.

My guess is they'll push for the Floyd fight and push hard. Brook can bang and can time a shot.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:19 am

Honestly think Khan gives Floyd problems. Floyd isn't a young man anymore and isn't a concussive puncher.Think Floyd would win but he would work hard for it. Khan does have the attributes and the right trainer.

Problem is, Floyd is that good at adjusting and would make Khan fight his fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:20 am

Problem for Khan is that Ramadan means his only shot at a Floyd fight is in May. He can't fight September dates. No guarantee that Floyd fights past next September, so realistically... this might be it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:25 am

Good win for Andy Lee, I'll have to see if I can find that on YouTube. I've got a lot of time for the guy, saw him get put through the ringer against John Jackson in the summer, dig in and get the spectacular KO. Great moment! Should be a good showdown with BJS.

Strongback, I don't know how I see GGG vs GGG going. If he lands a Tyson Fury uppercut, he might take his own head off!

Khan was brilliant. Punch perfect. Must be mentally exhausting to stick to a gameplan for 12 rounds perfectly, knowing your vulnerabilities. I think the stars are aligning for him to take Mayweather's 0 of the fight happens.

I think Floyd would be much more likely to fight Khan than Pacquaio. He'd have more things on his own terms (outside the ring). I'm always critical of Floyd but I don't think courage is an issue, he'd fight anyone but I don't think he could bear not being able to dictate everything on his own terms. Every fighter other than Pacquaio would probably just be happy to be there.

Apologies for my mischief making of this thread goes down a Manny/Floyd route Wink.

Well done Amir and Andy!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am

Hope Floyd could change his date for once. Really do believe Khan gives him hell now. Big tall welter with fast hands and feet. Seems to have learned to spoil a bit too.

Though Floyd is no Devon, he is much better and smarter. Fact is, Floyd really is getting no younger and will lose some time if he continues

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:37 am

AdamT wrote:Think Khan would give old Mayweather nightmares. He has the attributes to win that fight. Also would pick him to beat Manny now

Let's stay in the realms of reality for a bit. Devon was good but not elite, give full props for a great performance but let's not get ahead of oneself yeah?

Once Khan gets buzzed, and against either of those he does, then he will forget everything Hunter has instilled in him and try to fight Fire with Fire. He's 28, like Hatton (with FMSr) you can't take something out of him that deep in to his career.

You're suggesting he could not only live but also beat the two greatest fighters of their generation based on 4 fights since getting knocked out (again)?

Great performance last night, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Khan was still getting countered by the average Alexander, hate to think what the #1&2 P4P fighters do to him.

Needs to fight Brook or Thurman next to give us a better gauge.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Pacquiao wouldn't counter him at all Kirk, I don't think he beats either but he could give them something to think about and to be honest Alexander rarely countered him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Styles make fights and Manny and Mayweather aren't getting any younger.

Both beat him handily in their primes but with khan coming into his peak and these guys in the twilight the fights are interesting. Still have Floyd favorite but khan makes it very competitive.

Manny doesn't have the power he had but then again Khan hasn't the best chin. If khan is able to take Mannys shots and box to a game plan, I don't see any reason why he couldn't out box the older smaller Pacquiao.

I know these are bold claims but lets not pretend he is going up against the Mayweather that schooled Marquez/mosley or the Manny that destroyed Cotto. They aren't as good as they used to be.

Khan is very hard to outbox, Devon is no mug and he was near shut out. I used to always slag Khan and say he is overrated and only fast but credit were it's due. He has showed a lot of heart for coming back and getting better. I am a big fan of his now and hope he goes all the way.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Well done to Andy Lee good to see him take a belt and it was no mug he beat either.
Fantastic performance by Khan used his brain for a change and fought the right fight even his footwork looked good, his defence still needs work though he got hit a few too many clean single shots even from a man hardly throwing anything and a bigger puncher trying to force the fight more might have had him in trouble. At the end of the day i am not gonna get too carried away because as good as he boxed Alexander was not for the first time totally inept. For a fighter who has held a world title twice to offer no more than just ambling around the ring after his opponent is a poor show, i dont think there was anytime when he actually tried to win the fight or took a chance or two it appeared to me he was going through the motions from the 2nd round onwards and the fight lacked the normal tension you tend get when Khan fights because off his dodgy chin.  
All in all great job from Khan but fighting a Mayweather, Manny, Garcia, Mattyse, Brook, Thurman or even Porter would be a vastly different proposition and i would still expect all of them to KO him. As for the turgid Alexander this is one of many times he has failed to turn up on the big night and he should now fall dramatically down the pecking order.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Needs to fight Thurman or Brook next to give us a better gauge?

Of what?

He has beaten the following, just to refresh everyone's memory:

Zab Judah
Paulie Malignaggi
A.Kotelnik
Marcos Maidana
Luis Collazo
Devon Alexander

Brooks best fighter has been Shawn Porter and that's it.

Thurmans was probably Karass??? Or Bundu??? No idea

So surely Brook or Thurman need to fight someone like Khan....to gauge where THEY are at?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:42 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Needs to fight Thurman or Brook next to give us a better gauge?

Of what?

He has beaten the following, just to refresh everyone's memory:

Zab Judah
Paulie Malignaggi
A.Kotelnik
Marcos Maidana
Luis Collazo
Devon Alexander

Brooks best fighter has been Shawn Porter and that's it.

Thurmans was probably Karass??? Or Bundu??? No idea

So surely Brook or Thurman need to fight someone like Khan....to gauge where THEY are at?

Brook beating Porter outstrips any of Khans wins. Thurman is acknowledged to be a step up from Devon.

Usual hyperbole following on from a guy that was splattered 4 fights ago and Devon is suddenly this master boxer who's beaten an elite... No, wait. He got shut out by Bradley and should've lost against the awfully average Matthyse.

And AdamT - Pacquiao knocked thingy down how many times recently?

They aren't what they were, but they're still a mile above Khan and everyone else barring Marquez.

Again, let's not kid ourselves that the gap of 2 fighters getting on a bit has suddenly narrowed over a guy who recently was getting decked by Garcia and a blown up lightweight.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Its pretty obvious they are pushing him for a Mayweather fight and his recent opponents have been picked to make him look good with that in mind. Good win for Khan, but not a surprise given the opponent.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Matthyse awfully average? That bit has me confused.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:23 pm

I like how quickly Haymon was thanked after Allah in the post fight interview.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Why does Brook beating Porter outstrip any of Khans victories then?

I'm pretty sure that before Brook, Porter had beaten Julio Diaz via a SD.....and then a UD.....and then bundled through Devon.

Khan has just whooped Alexander and gave him a boxing lesson which Porter failed to do.

But they are the only two "names" on his record.

Like Brook...who has Porter.

Oh no...sorry....I think he beat the highly regarded Alfonso Gomez.

So no...I don't think a win against Porter is better then any of Khans wins.

No where near.....His win vs Maidana is a world better than any of Brooks wins.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:36 pm

In the context of the Welterweight division a win over Porter is more significant than beating Alexander.

You mention that Khan did a better job on Alexander but ignore that Porter did a far better job on Malignaggi, while Collazo and Senchenko are around the same level truth be told.

Maidana is also no better than Porter, both limited fighters but their respective performances against that man Alexander again shows the difference in class between the two.

Khan has a lot of good wins but he's not beaten anybody I wouldn't expect Brook to beat but he's lost to three men that Brook wouldn't struggle with. It's a bit one eyed to concentrate purely on his positives without factoring in the negatives.

His performance last night was top notch but he did what many expected him to do, against a boxer he's imperious but the moment he gets pressured he starts to fall apart, do you honestly think he'd stand up to the relentlessness of Porter because I don't.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next