The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan will fight Morales

+14
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
manos de piedra
coxy0001
joeyjojo618
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Daz
Valero's Conscience
samevans1
azania
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Go down

Khan will fight Morales Empty Khan will fight Morales

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 27 May - 0:58

This is something i have been thinking about since el Terrible over performed against Maidana. I want Khan in with Judah, it will be a unification and makes the Bradley fight even bigger but i really think golden boy wont want to risk it or will be more willing to throw Morales under the bus for a decent PPV and name recognition for Khan. when Khan fought Maidana he showed he was willing to take serious and dangerous opponents. Then fair enough, the easy homecoming and to his credit it appears he is being ducked by Bradley for some reason. But please dont take morales, Morales is tailor made for Khan, Khan is too quick, too rangy and too tall. It would be a Paulie style slow beat down.

Come on, take on Judah.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Khan will fight Morales Empty Re: Khan will fight Morales

Post by azania Fri 27 May - 1:06

Firstly I dont see Bradley ducking Khan. Its a money thiong. Secodnly I hope he doesn't fight Morales. Eric doesn;t deserve a title shot seeing as he lost to Maidana. The logical fight is Judah who GBP seem to be ducking out of.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Fri 27 May - 6:07

Judah would be a good one; experienced, a titlist, proven quality etc.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May - 8:13

Surprisingly, GBP and Arum won't do business together (no, really!!!!!!!!) and so the Khan/Bradley fight looks to have been shelved for the time being.

Rumours abound that Bradley is next up for Manny but given he's under 35 this may just be malicious gossip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May - 8:16

Judah would be much better because if Khan won then the Bradley fight would be even bigger with all 4 major belts on the line for a comprehensive unification fight.

Although Judah and Morales are not near their prime, Khan will get no recognition for beating Morales so no more merit than when Khan beat Barrera IMO.

I don't think Judah would run from a Khan fight either.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May - 8:45

According to Dan Rafael on twitter, Khan is deep into negoiations with Judah and an annoucement is due in the coming days. Fair play to Khan. His opponents are getting tougher and tougher - particularly if this fight comes off. Judah still has a lot to offer under Pernell Whittakers tutelage.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May - 8:55

Dazstarr wrote:According to Dan Rafael on twitter, Khan is deep into negoiations with Judah and an annoucement is due in the coming days. Fair play to Khan. His opponents are getting tougher and tougher - particularly if this fight comes off. Judah still has a lot to offer under Pernell Whittakers tutelage.

Fair play for Khan if he fights Judah, he went after the best, Bradley but entirely on Bradley for the fight not happening and Judah has the other belt so next best option for him.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 27 May - 8:59

Morales would be a joke fight and would do nothing to boost khans status at 140lb. Erik is over the hill, a blown up super feather coming off a loss to someone khans already beaten. Just because he lasted 12 rounds with sub-par maidana doesn't make him a worthy opponent for khan or a title shot. Khans just had one noddy fight, this would be two on the bounce. If Bradley decides to duck out of the unification bout - as he seems to be - then khan should look at Judah (title holder) Guerrero (quality lightweight moving up) or even rematch maidana as it was a close fight and FOTY. Morales is an old fighter looking for paydays. Khans already beat up an old Barrera for gods sake, fight a real opponent.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May - 9:00

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:According to Dan Rafael on twitter, Khan is deep into negoiations with Judah and an annoucement is due in the coming days. Fair play to Khan. His opponents are getting tougher and tougher - particularly if this fight comes off. Judah still has a lot to offer under Pernell Whittakers tutelage.

Fair play for Khan if he fights Judah, he went after the best, Bradley but entirely on Bradley for the fight not happening and Judah has the other belt so next best option for him.

Completely agree. I think if Judah is on form for this fight - it could be the toughest fight out there for him. Tougher than Bradders.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 27 May - 9:00

Wrangling over money might scupper the Judah fight. Hope not, would be a good matchup that I think Khan would win. Would set up a Bradley fight nicely (unless Bradley gets flattened by Pacman in the meantime.)

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May - 9:01

Come on, take on Judah

Not quite sure why you'd want that to happen?

Looked appalling against Matthysse and then has a win over the extremely average Mabuza (or whatever he's called)... Doesn't really warrant me getting excited over, more so when factoring in how he hasn't won and won well a meaningful fight against a top ranked fighter.

If GBP came to me (hypothetically of course) to draw up a list of opponents they'd be:

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz
Morales (deserves a shot after his showing)

Nothing else would get me excited i'm afraid (Bradley won't happen for now so just left him off)

Maidana/Ortiz would be competitive fights and Maidana the gimme unless he goes to war which would make the margin of victory narrower

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May - 9:10

coxy0001 wrote:
Come on, take on Judah

Looked appalling against Matthysse and then has a win over the extremely average Mabuza (or whatever he's called)... Doesn't really warrant me getting excited over, more so when factoring in how he hasn't won and won well a meaningful fight against a top ranked fighter.

If GBP came to me (hypothetically of course) to draw up a list of opponents they'd be:

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz

Nothing else would get me excited i'm afraid (Bradley won't happen for now so just left him off)

Maidana/Ortiz would be competitive fights and Maidana the gimme unless he goes to war which would make the margin of victory narrower

I would like Khan to unify before moving up - otherwise the haters will just come out in force again saying he ducked Bradley/Judah etc

Maidana rematch would be decent as well. Although I think he would tighten up a little and get the same result. Besides - Khan would get slated for taking on Morales.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May - 9:13

coxy0001 wrote:
Come on, take on Judah

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz

Why rematch Maidana? He already beat him and were it not for R10, it would have been more comfortable. Other than a name, what has Morales got to offer. He lost his last bout. He doesn't deserve a title shot after losing his last fight.

Why should he (Khan) weight hop? He is a LWW and should stay where he is. Judah is the best match-up outside of Bradley.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May - 9:43

azania wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Come on, take on Judah

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz

Why rematch Maidana? He already beat him and were it not for R10, it would have been more comfortable. Other than a name, what has Morales got to offer. He lost his last bout. He doesn't deserve a title shot after losing his last fight.

Why should he (Khan) weight hop? He is a LWW and should stay where he is. Judah is the best match-up outside of Bradley.

Why rematch Maidana? Well where do i chuffing start ffs. Perhaps because it was voted as fight of the year and was a cracking fight to watch first time? I guess we should also discount the first round as well going by your complete toshful way of thinking, i mean if Maidana had won that round 10-9 instead of losing it 10-8 the official scores would've been 113-113 on 2 and would've won 114-112 (i think) on the other - guess we should discount that round as well then.

And why should he weight hop? Well blow me down i guess he's got so many guys available for him at 140 that we're not debating who he should fight. Ortiz is a guy in his range and sights - He wants to fight the best and a very good fighter is fighting all of 7lbs above him at welterweight. Bradley went up when there was no-one for him available @ LWW - Deal with it.

There's 3 names and i only put Morales in there as he came out of his last fight with a tremendous amount of face. Fighters can lose and gain almost as much respect and admiration if they won and open up doors for the next fight.

Seriously, i do wonder sometimes

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 27 May - 10:07

Nice to see coxy going off on one early doors Wink

Khan gets a lot of criticism, some justified some not. I think if he fights morales the naysayers will be shouting that hes beating up another faded old man, and if he moves up the weights he will be ducking the big challenges at 140 (I dont agree with this at all, but this is what the haters will say.)

Dont think they would move him up to 147 and put him in with someone as good as Ortiz straight away. Would probably feed him a can or fringe guy, see how he fares.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 May - 10:17

I would rule out any move to 147 and think its highly unlikely at present. Its the current home of his stablemate Pacquiao and pretty much his turf.

Plus, I feel he almost certainy has to take care of business at 140. If he left now then he leaves the division without establishing himself as the best in it. Bradley would leave a gigantic hole in his record.

I dont think there are many moe fights at 147 than at 140 for Khan. Ortiz is there but he looks to be all wrong for Khan and is big at the weight. While Im not sold at all on Ortiz being a Manny/Floyd beater, I think hes a nightmare opponent for Khan and would eat him alive at the moment. Outside of that who is there? He wont fight Pacquiao so why go to welterweight to become a bit part champion at best when hes close to being the man at light welter?

I think everything points to just keeping put at where he is and looking for a credible filer fight before settling business with Bradley hopefully within the next 12 months or so. I think Judah probably fits the bill quite nicely and would be a solid test.

Maidana would be nice for the fans but I cant see Khan wanting to revisit that at the moment when he should have his sights set on beating Bradley and unifying the division.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May - 10:29

manos de piedra wrote:I feel he almost certainy has to take care of business at 140. If he left now then he leaves the division without establishing himself as the best in it. Bradley would leave a gigantic hole in his record.

Well said and exactly why Khan shouldnt move up just yet. He definitely has unfinished business at 140. It would leave a sour taste in a lot of people's moves if he moved up without unifiying at least 2 belts if not more. Khan has alot to prove to people - more than most boxers. He is under pressure (unfairly) all the time.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May - 10:36

Can i just clarify there's no reason why he can't go up to 147 then come back down if it means finding an opponent who fits Khans "fight the best" motto he frequently trots out but fails to back-up on.

Still maintain Maidana is gagging for a rematch and after it being FoTY it holds the most commercial value out of any opponent he could face - Bradley included who couldn't sell out my toilet. Bradley is the name who completes his resume @ 140 before moving up, but that's dead in the water until the end of the year so we should ignore.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May - 10:38

coxy0001 wrote:Can i just clarify there's no reason why he can't go up to 147 then come back down if it means finding an opponent who fits Khans "fight the best" motto he frequently trots out but fails to back-up on.
If he makes himself bigger it will be very hard for him to lose the muscle and drop back down. If he doesn't, fighting a 160 pound Ortiz is too dangerous.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May - 10:46

Scottrf wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Can i just clarify there's no reason why he can't go up to 147 then come back down if it means finding an opponent who fits Khans "fight the best" motto he frequently trots out but fails to back-up on.
If he makes himself bigger it will be very hard for him to lose the muscle and drop back down. If he doesn't, fighting a 160 pound Ortiz is too dangerous.

Bradley did it, why can't Khan? Contradicting yourself Scott as you seem to think he could just stay hydrated on 'another' subject..... Least you admit you were talking rudey poo now eh.

Ortiz would be dangerous for him yeah - but should we as paying fans accept him getting in with another guaranteed win gimme opponent? We whinge and moan the best don't fight each other often enough and yet the vibe you give me is you don't want him to fight anyone dangerous.....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May - 10:51

You only think I'm contradicting myself because you don't understand it fully but lets not go there again. I think he rehydrates at 140 (to a probable 150 or so), but Ortiz would rehydrate from 147 (to 161) so not contradicting anything. Khan doesn't get to 161, so would have a large size disadvantage unless he bulks up, at which point he'd struggle to get down.

I don't want him to fight unneccesary dangers out of his weight class until Bradley finally decides to fight him. I want a LWW showdown.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 May - 11:32

Why not Morales.....I mean look at the guy Burns is fighting for the WBO title...wow he's beat some greats hasn't he!! No one criticises him...

Warming to Amir Khan......Maidana was a good defence....I rated Mcloskey and he outboxed him...

Make some money against Morales kid...you deserve it....

If it wasn't Khan people wouldn't be so critical...

The kid is proving himself.....he's no calzaghe!!

Let it be Morales.....and good luck.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 27 May - 12:24

I hope Khan doesn't fight Morales, that means he will have leathered both Morales and Barrera, when well past their sell by date, the Judah fight is the one.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 May - 12:25

if Manny can do it..why not khan??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 May - 12:44

Judah is a more credible fight than a Morales off the back of a loss.

No real comparison between the Morales Pacquaio beat who was way closer to his best weight and the one now.

If Morales could post a decent win at light welter it would give the fight more merit. But dont see it being the case at the moment. Plus Morales is such a loved fighter. If Khan did end up beating up on him I dont think it would do his popularity much good as was the case with the shot MAB.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 May - 12:46

I thought morales won that fight.....

He's just fought two credible opponents....why not Morales????

Get on other Champions cases....at least this kid fights decent opponents..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 May - 12:55

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought morales won that fight.....

He's just fought two credible opponents....why not Morales????

Get on other Champions cases....at least this kid fights decent opponents..

Get on whos case exactly?

This article is discussing the merits of a potential fight between Khan and Morales.

He has just fought McCloskey who was not established world class and was basically a filler fight. A fight with Bradley has gone belly up which is the one everyone wanted. I dont think its asking too much that he fight someone a bit more established next.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 27 May - 13:45

i agreee wtth a lot being said, i just wqorry zab may price himself out (or khan people offer him too little) of a fight with khan leading to erik morales who has ppv appeal and name on the cv type appeal. Rememebr Judah prob knows this is his last chance at keeping a title and bigger pay days, if he loses to khan which is more likely than not he has nowhere to go at his age with 7 defeats

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May - 17:34

coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Come on, take on Judah

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz

Why rematch Maidana? Well where do i chuffing start ffs. Perhaps because it was voted as fight of the year and was a cracking fight to watch first time? I guess we should also discount the first round as well going by your complete toshful way of thinking, i mean if Maidana had won that round 10-9 instead of losing it 10-8 the official scores would've been 113-113 on 2 and would've won 114-112 (i think) on the other - guess we should discount that round as well then.

And why should he weight hop? Well blow me down i guess he's got so many guys available for him at 140 that we're not debating who he should fight. Ortiz is a guy in his range and sights - He wants to fight the best and a very good fighter is fighting all of 7lbs above him at welterweight. Bradley went up when there was no-one for him available @ LWW - Deal with it.

There's 3 names and i only put Morales in there as he came out of his last fight with a tremendous amount of face. Fighters can lose and gain almost as much respect and admiration if they won and open up doors for the next fight.

Seriously, i do wonder sometimes

Lol. Coxy is on one again. Very Happy

So what if it was voted foty? Khan prevailed in an exciting fight by a fitting margin to prove he was the better guy. Its a step backward for him to rematch Maidana. Time to move forward not backwards.

Morales is old and washed up. A good fight for Pac as he loves those type of fights, but for Khan again it would be beating up a shell of a once great fighter. He's already done that with MAB.

Kham should cement himself at LWW before moving up. All this weight hopping annoys me. There are decent enough fights at LWW. Moving up and then moving back down could be detrimental for him anyway. If he moves up, he should stay there.

I think Pac's constant wweight hopping has confused too many people.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 28 May - 17:35

he can only do so much, and if judah won't take the fight then either guerrero or morales are the only options. morales put on a good show against maidana and proved he still has the fight in him. i think as far as khan is concerned a fight with morales would look better than a win over guerrero on paper and probably pay better as well. take the fight if judah and bradley arent up for it. moving up would be to soon imo.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 28 May - 18:28

If he can't fight Judah or Bradley I would like to see him take on Guerrero. For me that would be the most entertaining match up.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 28 May - 21:59

Would be happier with Judah but would settle for Guerrero who looks as though he could carry 140lbs quite easily and think style wise it could be quite an interesting match up

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 28 May - 22:22

I would rather see him fight Guererro than Bradley imo that has stinker written all over it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 29 May - 9:41

coxy0001 wrote:
Come on, take on Judah

Maidana rematch
Move up to face Ortiz

Yes Coxy - I'm not the only one who thinks the victory Mabuza has been too highly rated ( I had Mabuza ahead for the first few). I don't think this has changed Zab's status...still a gatekeeper, allbeit a skillful one..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May - 17:53

The Mabuza performance was impressive from Zabs point of view because he showed defencive skills that were lacking in the past. Carrying those skills on to the next level is something Zab will need to prove he is capable of but he can't do much more than hire a trainer to teach him defence and they don't come much better than Pernell Whittaker.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 31 May - 12:41

Morales has turned down 1.5 million so the chances of that fight being made are very low

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 31 May - 13:18

I wonder what Morales has lined up that is decent money.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 31 May - 13:19

prettyboykev wrote:I wonder what Morales has lined up that is decent money.
Nothing beats 1.5 mil. Maybe number 4 with MAB

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 31 May - 13:21

I think Morales and Barerra would make more than $1.5m if they get it on again. It has been mentioned. I would like to see this rather than EM taking on a younger guy and getting hurt. He did very well against Maidana but he can't do that many more times.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALMAB21 Tue 31 May - 13:39

Khans already beat up an old Barrera for gods sake, fight a real opponent.

Not sure about that TBH. Khan headbutted him in round 1 and it was stopped 4 rounds later on cuts. In any other country it would have been declared a NC so that result can be completely disregarded.

Khan wont be allowed to get away with stuff like that in America. Morales would provide an awkwards nights work but at this stage thats all we can expect from him. Goes without saying that if Erik was anywhere near his prime Khan would stand no chance.

BALMAB21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May - 15:26

Nothing beats 1.5 mil.

1.6 million does...as does an almost infinite number of other figures!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 31 May - 15:29

DAVE667 wrote:Nothing beats 1.5 mil.

1.6 million does...as does an almost[sic] infinite number of other figures!
clap

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 31 May - 16:26

DAVE667 wrote:Nothing beats 1.5 mil.

1.6 million does...as does an almost infinite number of other figures!

Against whom would he get over 1.5 milllion to fight

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down