The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan

+23
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
JabMachineMK2
Gentleman01
88Chris05
Herman Jaeger
kingraf
mikeymax71
Steffan
Rowley
Strongback
horizontalhero
sittingringside
milkyboy
Mayweathers cellmate
Dipper Brown
Coxy001
hampo17
John Bloody Wayne
hayemaker
Derbymanc
wheelchair1991
catchweight
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan Empty Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan

Post by catchweight Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

Looks like Eddie Hearn and Matchroom are upping the war of words in their bid to make Brook v Khan happen next Summer. I dont think Hearn realistically expects Khan to choose Brook if he has the option of facing Mayweather - but he has nevertheless decided to have a real go at Khan - accusing him of being both deluded and petrified:

Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport is confident that IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook (33-0, 22KOs) would score a knockout victory over his domestic rival Amir Khan (30-3, 19KOs).

Brook returns to action in March. Hearn wants to match him against Khan in the summer.

In a recent interview, Khan said a fight with Brook would only happen under "his terms" and with Khan Promotions taking the lead role of the event.

At the moment, Khan is chasing a fight with WBC/WBA welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“He’s just deluded. Firstly what does it matter? What does it matter about control? I don’t care. It’s a co-promotion between Matchroom Promotions, Khan promotions or I don’t give a monkey’s promotions," Hearn told the Manchester Evening News.

"The fact is, if he wants to spoil the chance to earn more money than he could in any other fight, including Floyd Mayweather, and he doesn’t want to give the British public what they want then let him go ahead and become even more unpopular. Because that is what he does – just isolates himself from people.

Hearn feels Amir is genuinely scared of a fight with Brook.

“The most important thing is Amir Khan is petrified of Kell Brook. He doesn’t want to fight Kell. Kell will knock him out. And when he does, he will finish Amir’s career. Amir knows if he loses to Mayweather, he can come back and fight Kell. When Kell knocks Amir out, it’s done. I don’t believe Amir will fight him. I think he will run from Kell," Hearn said.

“And if that’s the case then he loses the chance to give the British public what they want and he loses the chance to fight for the world title.”

Brook is still recovering from being stabbed and would not likely face Khan in his next fight anyway (expect a low key opponent next) so this looks more like a points scoring excersise from Matchroom designed to put public opinion in Brooks corner should the fight happen down the line.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan Empty Re: Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 21 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm

I dont agree with hearn here i dont think amir is that scared of kell

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan Empty Re: Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan

Post by Derbymanc Sun 21 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

Promoter doing his job, that's it

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hayemaker Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:05 am

I think Eddie Hearn has a point. Khan has been embarrassing himself by constantly calling out Mayweather when he hasnt done anything to earn a shot. If he is serious about fighting Mayweather then he should earn it because until then he just looks like another boxer with a big mouth looking for a payday.

hayemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:34 am

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 6:52 am

Take out Khan and put Haye in that post and it makes perfect sense Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

Agree with hayemaker in that Hearn has a point. Khan in my eyes has beaten a couple of 'good' not not elite welterweights, he hasn't faced either Pacquiao/Marquez/Bradley - he also hasn't beaten an elite light-welter either and there's Garcia/Matthyse/Prov, has fought one of those not long ago and was sent well and truly all the way to the end of Queer Street.

Mayweather only chooses Khan because he's a much easier fight than aforementioned fighters. Khan has quick hands but has neither the strength, punching power or punch output to cause Mayweather much trouble. That and he still leaves himself open and square on when throwing those flashy little combos which 'score' but aren't don't exactly Joshua-esque hurt loaded in to them.

The only way Khan gets any respect in my eyes is to fight Brook. And if he beats Brook then the latter is simply a hype job! Wink

Joking. But the only worry I have with Brook in that fight is whether he is able/willing to get his hands dirty and not simply coast thinking he's doing enough.

What would make part of my boxing year is Khan running around on twitter 'demanding' Floyd fights him before Floyd signs to fight Pacquiao with Brook fighting Bradley for the right to fight the winner.... Smile Better still Floyd choosing Brook next Hearn launches attack on "petrified" Khan 3559488474

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:39 am

I kind of agree that a loss to Brook leaves Khan at a proper crossroads. This is probably what I'd be saying if I were Brook's promoter but I don't see the Khan Brook fight as this huge stadium filler that some do. I may well be wrong on that.

If I were Khan I'd be busting a bollocxk to get that May 2nd gig and Brook would definitely be second choice. Having said that, I personally (and this is just me) see Brook as a comfortable nights work for Khan. I just see him making him look stupid.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:04 am

After the Cleverley Bellew fiasco I'd prefer it if Hearn had no part in Khan vs Brook if it ever were to happen.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:09 am

Remember when Radiohead let their fans decide how much to pay for their album? Hearn should do that with his PPVs. I'd have forked out 50p for Clev Bellew, factoring in inflation and the fact freddos now cost 25p.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:09 am

Hearn does have a point, khan loses to mayweather its expected, it doesn't impact his position and depending on the performance could actually enhance it.  Lose to brook, and his options are limited. If eddie had khan on his books... and lets not pretend that he wouldnt love to have him... in what direction would he be steering him?

Infact, khan could fight and lose to pretty much anyone and still have a domestic showdown with brook to fall back on.  There is a credible argument that, with brook holding a belt, that khan brook would never be bigger than next year, but there is an equally compelling argument that khan could fight who he wants, knowing the brook fight will always be there for him. That's not the same as being petrified, which I think any sane person knows he's not.

Matthysse, prov and garcia are much harder fights for mayweather than khan, then coxy? Oh I get it, garcia beat khan, so he must be a tougher challenge for floyd. And the others are really mean and nasty. My bad.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

You speak sense, Miky.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:20 am

milkyboy wrote:Matthysse, prov and garcia are much harder fights for mayweather than khan, then coxy? Oh I get it, garcia beat khan, so he must be a tougher challenge for floyd. And the others are really mean and nasty. My bad.

Milky, did I say that Garcia would be a tougher fight because he beat Khan? No, I didn't. I was highlighting he hasn't "earnt" the right to face Mayweather. Wasted both my time and yours in constructing a reply not relevant to my original point which was Khan has hardly gone up against the 'elite' of either division (he's 0-1 against the names I mentioned) so doesn't deserve the Mayweather fight and should just chime down and get it on with Brook.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:28 am

Matthysse and Provodnikov are custom fitted and finished for Floyd. Garcia, whilst I believe he would be an easy night for Floyd, has in fairness proved himself the top man at 140. If Floyd picked him I wouldn't complain, but I probably wouldn't watch it either. Khan is not scared of Brook, that is just promoter talk. However, I can understand Hearn's frustration, the Khan fight is a natural for Brook and Eddie has shown he can turn domestic clashes into huge tickets. If Floyd can fight Maidana twice, then he can definitely fight Khan, would still prefer Pacquiao though.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:33 am

Brooks belt is pretty much irrelevant. Khan is the name out of the two fighters, let's be honest Brook is barley known outside boxing die hards. And if Hearn thinks calling him petrified is going make Khan give up on his dream against the the biggest name in world boxing to fight him, he's the one who's dellusional. We have been here before with Calzaghe and Froch and Hatton and Witter, it'd got nothing to do with fear, everything to do with egos.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:38 am

Coxy001 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Matthysse, prov and garcia are much harder fights for mayweather than khan, then coxy? Oh I get it, garcia beat khan, so he must be a tougher challenge for floyd. And the others are really mean and nasty. My bad.

Milky, did I say that Garcia would be a tougher fight because he beat Khan? No, I didn't. I was highlighting he hasn't "earnt" the right to face Mayweather. Wasted both my time and yours in constructing a reply not relevant to my original point which was Khan has hardly gone up against the 'elite' of either division (he's 0-1 against the names I mentioned) so doesn't deserve the Mayweather fight and should just chime down and get it on with Brook.

"Mayweather only chooses Khan because he's a much easier fight than aforementioned fighters."

you did say this?

Who has said khan deserves the fight? How many of mayweather's recent opponents have? canelo, yes but Maidana? guererro? I've said countless times that the likes of bradley and garcia (though he's never fought at welter) are more deserving... but they bring nothing to the table in terms of threat. Neither has a prayer. Khan may well get stuffed too, but the idea that mayweather would only take the khan fight because he thought it would be easier than all the fighters you mentioned is laughable.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:40 am

Dipper Brown wrote:You speak sense, Miky.

occasionally dipper, but it's usually by law of averages

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

Thing is though horizontalhero Khan could chase, chase and chase some more and Mayweather may not choose to fight him which leaves him in limbo again. Depends on what Khan wants to do, as am pretty sure Hearn would be able to sell the 02 out within minutes. Am not sure about Wembley though, although everyone I know enjoyed the event with Froch vs Groves so may get the "just want to say I was there" crowd jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm not a Khan fan in the slightest (no surprise there), but I do enjoy watching his fights as he's seldom in a borefest affair. But he has got to simply realise that there are more attractive and lucrative options open to FMJ and can't spend all of next year chasing a fight when he's not exactly a marquee name in the mix.

Everyone and their dog has called out Mayweather in recent years, there's an arrogance about Khan that:

Getting decked by Garcia
Struggling massively past a fat LW in Diaz
Beating up on a shot Collazo
Legit performance against the average Alexander

Seems to mean that Floyd should 100% fight him as that's what the public want? He's not even in the top 3 opponents.

Brook here is a massive fight and suspect would do well on PPV because of the perceived competitiveness between the two. Whoever wins then has earnt the right to face the likes of Bradley/Pacman/Mayweather, to bang the drums that either want Floyd right now and it should happen is either arrogant, ignorant, deluded or all three. Brook, in beating Porter, has more right than Amir yet I haven't see him on SS claiming Floyd is ducking him!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:50 am

Hearn seems very concerned about what the "British Public" wants him being an altruistic chap and all that.

There is a hint of desperation in those Heran comments, Khan holds all the cards except the trinket of a belt and doesn't have to fight Brook until it suits him.  How many big fight options does Eddie have outside Khan v Brook? Froch wants to fight in America where Eddie would be the marginal co-promoter at best.

Hearn talks about Khan 'Isolating himself' but is it not Khan who has built up a profile in the US where the real money is?

I'd like to see Hearn as noisy about making Ricky Burns a few quid instead of saying 'We are boxing promoters not lawyers' after throwing legal opinions around in the media.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:52 am

the idea that mayweather would only take the khan fight because he thought it would be easier than all the fighters you mentioned is laughable

And if they were to fight Floyd then wins easily and those that don't rate him then simply claim Khan was always a chinless wonder who had fast hands but that was about it.

And Floyd has always been about less risk vs. most reward. Save for recent memory when he fought Cotto & Canelo as there were no other options open for him that generated that sort of money.

Anyway, am just hoping that he signs to fight Pacquiao so all this nonsense can stop and Khan is therefore forced in to fighting Brook as he has no other options that generate the sort of money he'd earn from that fight.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:56 am

Khan holds all the cards except the trinket of a belt and doesn't have to fight Brook until it suits him

Guess you think that Froch didn't have to fight Groves and then rematch him straight away?
Or Hatton was right in not fighting Witter?

Just wanted to clear that up. If Hearn wasn't the promoter involved you'd be banging the drums for this big domestic fight to happen, kinda pathetic that what you spout is so ludicrously based on your bias against Eddie.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

Coxy001 wrote:

I'm not a Khan fan in the slightest (no surprise there),

There is a whiff of a UKip supporter about you alright.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:05 am

Coxy001 wrote:
Khan holds all the cards except the trinket of a belt and doesn't have to fight Brook until it suits him

Guess you think that Froch didn't have to fight Groves and then rematch him straight away?
Or Hatton was right in not fighting Witter?

Just wanted to clear that up. If Hearn wasn't the promoter involved you'd be banging the drums for this big domestic fight to happen, kinda pathetic that what you spout is so ludicrously based on your bias against Eddie.

I don't have a problem with Khan v Brook, it's just the how blatantly Hearn goes about his business while pretending to be a good guy and caring what the public really want.  He's a false faced runt and completely transparent to some but not to others.  He's a lot more false than Haye and more sinister.  Time will show him up for he is.  He's isn't just a pretend rich mate to impressionistic 20-something's.

I've heard its a sin to worship false gods.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:15 am

Brook hasn't shouted from the rooftops about mayweather... but then mayweather hasn't been in lengthy negotiations to sign to fight brook, before, like he has with khan. He hasnt asked the fans to vote on whether he should fight brook next, and then ignore them when he won the vote.

Brook beat porter to win a legitimate strap, fighting mayweather would be a unification fight, so I agree, brook does have a better shout than khan to fight mayweather. Its rarely about legitimacy with mayweather though is it?

Its all posturing, mayweather is the ticket they all want, some shout louder than others. Manny and khan are the only guys out there that bring something to the table to give mayweather something to think about, in my opinion. So they are the two fights i'd watch.

I do agree, from a fans perspective, that mayweather fighting pac, khan fighting brook and the winners meeting, would be the ideal scenario. Ideal scenarios don't happen too often in boxing unfortunately.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:54 am

Strongback wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

I'm not a Khan fan in the slightest (no surprise there),

There is a whiff of a UKip supporter about you alright.

For the record I want to punch Farage and co until they stop moving. Can't stand UKIP, am a tory boy but this whole EU exit that is simply based on immigration is a complete joke.

Moving on:

Ideal scenarios don't happen too often in boxing unfortunately

We are foolhardy sufferers year in year out, thankfully with the 'cold war' ending we should get some good fights next year. Problem is that I can foresee a whole new issue with Schaeffer/Haymon getting in bed together and refusing to work with either Goldenboy or Top Rank.

At least we're going to 100% get Cotto vs Alvarez. Have this inkling that we're going to see something similar to Castillo vs Corrales I, two good technicians who can punch, have high punch outputs etc. Having said that it'll probably be a snorefest now.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Dipper Brown wrote:You speak sense, Miky.

occasionally dipper, but it's usually by law of averages

It's the broken clock theory in action.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:58 pm

I aspire to being right twice a day rowley. The hands have fallen off my clock.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:16 pm

Is the British public as desperate for Khan Brook as Eddie suggests? I'd hazard a guess that the British boxing fans most wanted fight is Mayweather Pacquaio. Khan Brook is more a happy consequence of that, rather than a 'must happen' fight.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:24 pm

Think it's more of a die-hard fan kinda fight dipper. Would sell out the 02 and heck, they could probably host it @ Bolton/Sheffield Utd/Wedns and sell it out. Wembley might be stretching it a bit unless we have some horribly contentious end to the first fight, Froch-Groves-esque.

It would sell well on PPV and in terms of ticket sales over here though and is a 'makes sense' fight to most of us. Just depends on who FMJ fights next as Khan has put all his eggs, again, in to one very small basket regarding getting that fight and not worrying about a back up plan.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:28 pm

The Hearns are very good at creating/promoting domestic rivalries. Most of the big Watson/Benn Eubank fights were promoted by Barry. If this is promoted well and gets a decent undercard beneath it whilst it might not shift the 80,000 Froch Groves did see no reason why it could not fill somewhere like Old Trafford.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:33 pm

I think I'd buy a ticket myself if they put it in the O2, to be honest. Doubt it with two northern fighters though.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:33 pm

Rowley wrote:The Hearns are very good at creating/promoting domestic rivalries. Most of the big Watson/Benn Eubank fights were promoted by Barry. If this is promoted well and gets a decent undercard beneath it whilst it might not shift the 80,000 Froch Groves did see no reason why it could not fill somewhere like Old Trafford.

Old Trafford has a big capacity also more than 70,000.

I think London is needed with the big population for the huge stadium fights. More money down South too.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:22 pm

Better looking birds as well Strongy.

Problem we have is that if Khan loses to Brook it's his career almost over. Would take him another 4 fights to rebuild and then if he steps up again (and loses) it'd be well and truly over for him.

Khan has a good record of not fighting the best British fighters around even though they've been ranked above him.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Khan would not lose to Brook. He would take an easy points victory. Khan is a different class to Brook

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

Steffan wrote:Khan would not lose to Brook. He would take an easy points victory. Khan is a different class to Brook

Porter is a class above any opponent Khan beat at the respective points in their career. Brook hasn't spent time canvas licking against average oppo.

Can Brook time Khan coming in like he did Porter? Would Khan's whiskers stand up to him? Could Brook cope with the fluffy punching speed of Khan and get his own shots off? 4/7 for Khan and 13/8 for Brook, hope you'll be putting your student loan on it Steffie if you think it's that easy. Pretty big 50-50 for me based on a long list of questions that we don't possess a crystal ball to answer.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 5:49 pm

Did Brook time Porter that well Coxy? I think we may have seen a different fight, as memory serves he shaded a razor tight decision against a one dimensional Porter charging in straight lines constantly. All credit to Brook, I was really happy for him as glad to see him step up in his first big test but let's not revise history.

I personally don't see Porter as a class above Khan's respective opponents, in fact I think it's pretty mischievous to suggest Brook has anything resembling an equal CV to Khan.

Don't agree with this theory that as soon as Brook catches him, he's gone either. Khan's by no means iron chinned but some suggest a gust of wind knocks him out. He's been wiped out by the signature punches of pretty big hitters and Brook despite being a big WW isn't a KO artist.

I'd love to buy into this 50/50 domestic showdown but I just don't see it, I'm sorry.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

Brook has to do more in his career for me for him to be the so called big draw for a fight with Khan. Yes he is a world champion but that does not make a fight with Khan a must see fight. I can see why Amir is chasing a Floyd fight because he career to date suggests he belongs with he big name in the division. If Brook had been more decisive in his win over Porter then he might be perceived as a future star of the division but that is hardly the case as the only other notable wins on his record also shows him struggle at points against Carson Jones and the Ukrainian fighter who ended Ricky Hatton.

This is fight Brook needs more than Khan and I don't see happening and to be honest I think Khan would be to fast for Brook and win a decision

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by hayemaker Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

If we are being honest, Khan is only looking to fight Mayweather for a pay day. He has no chance of beating the best in the best in the and trying to talk his way into a fight which he doesnt deserve and has no chance of winning is the reason he is unpopular. Eddie Hearn is right to call his bluff.

hayemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm

Mayweather is an enigma of a fighter that may never be beaten but Khan is not a useless fighter that simply has no chance compared to the Victor Ortiz type fighters of this world. However, I think in all honesty Khan should be chasing Bradley or a Garcia rematch before looking at Manny and Floyd as they have some unfinished business from their 140 days and would give a fight between Amir and either of those far more credibility to the paying public. I think Brook would need to look at doing something similar to try and force a fight with Khan as he is not the household name that Hearn thinks he is and therefore would not generate the money or the value of a win for Amir should he take such a fight. Just hope when Brook comes back in March it will be against a challenger worthy of helping get his name out to the public and not just the hardcore boxing fans as I think he has talent but has been fighting in 2nd gear for too long

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

As a rule, when it comes to avoiding fights with opponents thought to be round your level to fight those possibly above it, boxing fans generally go with hindsight. When Bradley skipped past Khan to fight Manny, most Forums tended to go with "Bradley would lose to both, so he's decided he'd rather make $5 million getting smashed by Manny than $1.5m getting smashed by Khan" (figures thumbsucked). Six months later Khan was on queer Street and Bradley beat Manny (well...), and it turned out Bradley thought he could beat both...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:58 pm

Despite Hearn's friendly patter with the fans on Twitter, everything said in public is with a promoter hat on. Forget about Brook Khan being the fight the fans want to see, it's the fight his client needs.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:07 pm

I'm not sure where Brook is supposed to have been disrespectful, I can't recall any comments so would appreciate some enlightenment as to what exactly what was deemed as disrepectful. Didn't Amir say if he had to drop down a level to face Brook he would?

For what it's worth, I really don't think Khan should touch Brook, I ve got Kell to have to much ring smarts and catching up with Khan at some point to end proceedings.

Still don't mind a Khan fight and wish him well but he needs to beat a Bradley, Thurman or Brook before any talk of a Mayweather imo, as the Porter win trumps anything Khans done at 47 for me.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:03 am

Dipper Brown wrote:Despite Hearn's friendly patter with the fans on Twitter, everything said in public is with a promoter hat on. Forget about Brook Khan being the fight the fans want to see, it's the fight his client needs.

To be fair to the UK boxing fan community I think we all want to see Khan vs. Brook next. We'd have another potential Wembley sell out next year and it'd be the biggest domestic showdown we could have lined up for us to choke the chicken over next year. This isn't a promoter hyping up some mismatch by trying to sell us "he was once a world champ you know, the fact he's 4-6 in his last 10 fights doesn't mean he's finished - he's still dangerous and it's a massive blah blah blah...." - this is actually the fight the fans want to see so I think Hearn is excused on this one.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 11:05 am

Dipper Brown wrote:I'd love to buy into this 50/50 domestic showdown but I just don't see it, I'm sorry.

I agree, Dipper - not sure this fight would be being slated as a genuine pick 'em or knife edge kind of thing if Brook was a different nationality.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fight I'd love to see in 2015 as it would be good for the profile of the sport over here and the winner really would be in the kind of position where they could expect mega fights against the likes of Floyd and Manny (if Khan doesn't get the Mayweather gig beforehand, that is), but if Khan won it comfortably and left a lot of people feeling disappointed that they didn't see a great spectacle as per the pre-fight promotion, I wouldn't be surprised.

I know Coxy's posted some odds which suggest that I'm talking a load of cobblers, but as the old gambling war horses always say, bookies don't set odds based on what they think is going to happen or how they think things will unfold - they set them based on how they think the public are going to bet on the event.

That's besides the point as gambling ain't my bag and doesn't really interest me, mind you, but just looking at their styles and how they match up I think it's a bit odd how so many ominous 'What if Khan loses?' scenarios are flying around, whereas they aren't for Brook.

I think a lot of people are getting caught up in this idea that as soon as Brook catches Khan clean the fight's as good as over. I also see the line about him "catching up with Khan late on" being used, too. We all see it differently, but Khan's stamina hasn't really been an issue in his career, and oddly enough it was Brook who looked a bit gassy in the late rounds until he made amends against Porter. It's not like Brook's a pressure fighter who is going to make you work every second of every round. I think Brook's a good all-rounder, but so far he's looked a little one-paced, and it's a pace which is a lot slower than Khan's.

I also think the argument that Brook's win over Porter is (arguably) more impressive than anything Khan's done strictly at Welter is a bit of a red herring, too. I don't see why Khan's performances and showings at 140 against guys like Maidana and Judah shouldn't bear any relevance when talking about how he'd get on against Brook, as I don't think it's a fight in which weight or size would play a part of favour one guy over the other. Khan was huge at Light-Wetler and neither guy is noted for muscling their opponents or just walking through shots thrown at them.

Brook beating Khan wouldn't be a massive shock, but it would still be a surprise, for me. I think Brook needs Khan to have an off night and, on top of that, show some extra dimensions to his game which we've not seen before if he's going to win. Far from impossible and it's a legitimate fight, but I'd feel comfortable making Khan a relatively clear favourite.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 11:33 am

I see the Brook vs. Khan contest 70/30 in Khan's favour. I've always rated Brook and think he has great talent and as a huge fan of both fighters I'd love to see this one happen.

Having said that, I've no problem with Khan calling out Mayweather. No one criticised Ortiz, Guerrero, Maidana etc. for calling him out, so why should Khan receive any heat for it? It isn't as if Maidana or Guerrero, for example, had 'earned; their shots any more than Khan has. Khan wants to fight the best, for whatever reason, money, prestige, etc. I don't care what his motivation is. Why should anyone care? It would be a huge fight for UK fans and one in which I would be unashamedly cheering on Khan in the most partisan fashion imaginable.

As for Hearn; Brook is his charge. Both he and Brook stand to make a lot of money from this fight, if it happens. Hardly a surprise then, that he is keen to set it up.

Strongy; I don't think anybody who has even a passing interest in Boxing, or even professional sport for that matter, thinks that Hearn's interest in promoting a Khan vs. Brook card springs from his desire to do right by the British public. Nobody thinks Hearn is a Saint. People will be happy if he delivers good cards. That is the extent of the vast majority of people's feelings towards Matchroom.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:15 pm

khan will push for mayweather, if floyd blows him out for someone other than manny, khan will push for manny, If floyd fights manny, khan will look at brook. That's my take, and deserving or not, I don't see how anyone can criticise him for trying to get those fights in that order.

Were he to fight brook, personally i feel kel isn't slippery enough defensively, nor aggressive enough offensively to beat khan. Brook's a very good all round fighter, but whilst there's always that element of doubt with khan I think stylistically brook is made for him. I think gentleman's 70:30 is about right. I think Porter gives khan way more problems.

As an aside. Despite their 'rivalry', i thought khan was pretty respectful and complimentary towards brook when he beat porter, and likewise brook was praising khan's performance against alexander. I'm sure if eddie gets them to sign, all that bad blood and hostility that's clearly simmering beneath, will explode in numerous handbag exchanges at press conferences around the country.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

Yeah, and we'll also hear how they used to be best mates and super-close back in the day, too. Turns out they just plumb forgot about that (and the bitter fall out they had) until the fight was made. But it's all true.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

"personally I do hate him"

A nice little read here on the fight that got the hearns into liking domestic dust ups

http://talksport.com/boxing/dark-side-reliving-boxings-ugliest-feud-between-benn-and-eubank-13100362628

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

Chris, as long as the level of pretend animosity/anger doesn't result in one or the other don't flip a table over in a poorly attended news conference before storming out am hopeful we can deal with the chirping.

Agree they haven't exactly been banned by a court to stay away from each other but then again they're not best buds. Think if the were to fight the needle about being Britain's best WW may light the paper and all the 'nasty' chat.

From a selfish point of view I just want them to fight. Is just going to be Witter vs Hatton all over again and I couldn't possibly bear Rowley sticking up for another Sheffield lad having earnt the right to fight the better known guy Wink In all seriousness the time to fight for them is now, and no I don't hold it against Khan for trumpeting a fight with FMJ. Just hoping the rubberdhingyrapid numpti in Floyd just signs the Pacquiao fight so Khan/Brook are 'forced' to get it on. Not sure Strongy agrees though. Another Wembley sell out with Eddie Hearn all over the buildup is likely to send him in to full frothing-mode once again.

Undercard of Joshua vs. Arreola/Quigg vs. Galahad/Coyle vs. Campbell and a few more please Eddie!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

Getting decked by Garcia
Struggling massively past a fat LW in Diaz
Beating up on a shot Collazo
Legit performance against the average Alexander

Just plain wrong. Not a Khan fan but you're looking at this through thorny glasses.

"Decked" by Garcia = comprehensively out boxing a guy who beat Matthyse only to walk onto a hail mary left hook.
"fat" LW? I'm not sure what your idea of fat is - but this is the kind of hyperbole that drags down this board massively.
"shot" Collazo? Actually not a bad boxer, managed to beat Ortiz within 2 rounds - who's done that?
"average" Alexander. Well thats just sad. I'd love to see you in a boxing ring mate, Khan was just better but to suggest Alexander is "average" with wins against Matthyse (again not exactly a chump but comes undone on occasion - was once the 606 wrecking ball), Maidana and Karass. Yeah. Average.

Bit sick of seeing this type of stuff from people trying to pee on his chips. i don;t like the fella, I think he's over rated by many but you're just wrong.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next