The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan?

+11
sittingringside
Herman Jaeger
hogey
tunes666
milkyboy
Hammersmith harrier
.aveyard2.0
88Chris05
Coxy001
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Valero's Conscience
15 posters

Go down

If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan? Empty If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:44 pm

If Khan doesn't get the big names, who do you think he'll fight at 147ibs?

I'd love to see a rematch with Maidana as it will be fun.

Floyd, Brook and many hold all the titles with Thurman holding the WBA Interim so may be an option to get closer to Floyd?

If Danny Garcia is struggling 140ibs, a rematch with Garcia at 147 would be good.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan? Empty Re: If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan?

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 23 Dec 2014, 1:00 pm

Can you honestly see him fighting someone that dangerous? Isn't that the reason he's turning away brook as that fight could be potentially very dangerous

Would love to see both, think maidana and Garcia will probably beat him though as they know how to come forward with intent unlike Alexander and can see them connecting with Khan enough to get him out of there

Think that maybe Guerrero or Berto would be posisbilities. Guerrero hasn't got single shot power and while Berto does berto seems a bit of a spent force but is still a good name that can be sold, maybe even soto karass as although soto brings the fire he like berto seems a bit spent but still relevant

In reality i can see him fighting someone like Humberto Soto, Josesito Lopez, the guy Broner judt fought as none of these are big single shot fighters and all of em will make it fun. M

Back to top Go down

If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan? Empty Re: If no Floyd, Manny or Brook, who next for Khan?

Post by Guest Tue 23 Dec 2014, 1:04 pm

Step forward Bradley Pryce (even though, as I've said before, he's dead to me now)

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 1:41 pm

In no particular order:

Thurman
Maidana
Garcia (up from 140)
Prov ("" "" "")
Matthyse ("" "" "")

Step forward Bradley Pryce (even though, as I've said before, he's dead to me now)

Wish he was just dead in general by a long, slow suffering death.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 1:43 pm

See what you're saying, WHU, but if he can't get the Mayweather (or Pacquiao) fight then he still has to make sure he's facing names that will keep him in the picture for those mega pay days, even if there is an element of risk management involved. Guys like Lopez, Soto, Molina etc just don't do that and I think Khan would be smart enough to know it, too.

If he can't get any of Floyd, Manny or Brook (to be honest, while he's relying on a bit of good fortune in the first two cases there shouldn't be any reason a Brook fight can't be made if both of them genuinely want it) then the rematches against Maidana or Garcia would be the best choices, I think. Khan got a bit of stick in the past for not looking to avenge the Prescott loss (stick which I don't feel he deserved) so it'd quiten a few critics, and both are winnable but still attractive fights against genuinely good opposition. Back to back wins over someone such as Alexander and then one of those guys would give him as solid a foundation to get a fight with Floyd as anyone has had in the past few years, Pacquiao aside.

I don't think Khan will play it as safe as others do. Fair enough, he's got it wrong between Diaz and Alexander in terms of trying to wait Mayweather out for a shot, but that aside his championship-level career shows that he's not averse to taking risks or going after the big guns.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by .aveyard2.0 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 2:20 pm

I don't envy khans position. He was lead on with mayweather which is a no risk fight for him. He loses, he's expected to and he gets a career high payday, he wins and his career takes on a whole new path. Almost the same can be said of pacquiao but to a lesser extent. He's in with a shot so why would he look elsewhere? I thought first half of maidana fight was almost embarrassing for maidana and if a it fights like he did against Alexander for 12 round's I'd have to favour him over maidana again, Same with Garcia though it's a big if. As has been mentioned before he's not really been out boxed before, and if he can keep it disciplined he gives anyone a hard nights work. I'm not sold on thurman at all. Bradley avoided Khan before and I think that would be a Khan win too. Marquez would be a good name and a decent scrap. Brook seems off the table for now. I can see amir going sometime without a fight to be honest
.aveyard2.0
.aveyard2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 2:50 pm

Don't think you can say he was avoiding Khan. Mainly because Khan was losing to Prescott/Peterson at times when he needed to move up to face Bradley. Bradley fought the consensus #2 @ LWW in Alexander and then went up a weight where he fought the #1 P4P Pacquiao.

Not really avoiding, was simply frying bigger fish than Khan who wasn't particularly on his radar.

I can see amir going sometime without a fight to be honest

Agree with that though. Disagree with the Brook thing as it's there if Amir looks for it. Unfortunately for him he's got little basket out and has put his one sole egg (painted as Mayweather Jr) in it. Would be ironically funny if Khan does indeed have another period of inactivity, Brook fights a Thurman/Marquez in brutal fashion and then becomes Mayweather's September opponent and jumps Khan in the queue. Chuckling at the thought of it happening.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by .aveyard2.0 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 5:26 pm

I suppose you have a point re Bradley. Though I think if a or had got the correct decision against Peterson (no way he lost that fight) it could have been a different story. But if my aunt had the proverbial she'd be my uncle etc.

I think the brook fight is there for a while, both can have good runs and build it bigger, no need to rush IMO. Brook as much as I rate him is no where In the so called mayweather sweep stakes. Not a big enough name and porter is the best he's been in with, he needs 2/3 names. I'd like to see brook tackle Bradley or Thurman. I think Khans best bet is for Floyd to fight manny, which for arguments sake say he wins easily. After that I think Khan will be in pole position. He could fight broner or Guerrero or Ortiz for example on the under card. I think once Floyd and manny are done, there could be a super 6 style ww tourney including Khan, Garcia, brook etc
.aveyard2.0
.aveyard2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 23 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

Not really the case Coxy, Khan was the consensus number two and had been for a fair while prior to Bradley fighting Alexander. It's worth remembering that Alexander's reputation had taken a battering when he got a gift against Kotelnik.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 23 Dec 2014, 11:03 pm

If khan wants to enhance his credibility, Marquez, Bradley or Garcia. All would enhance his cv, all very winnable. All losable too, so if he thinks he's inline for a shot at the big boys but needs to wait his turn he might take a filler... We'd slate him for it, but Marquez, Bradley and Garcia have hardly fronted up to a who's who of the division in their last fights.

There's an argument that after maidana's better than expected showing against floyd, a rematch with him would give a benchmark, as would Guerrero to a lesser degree. Thurman, porter carry more risk with arguably less benefit. There's boner too... No shortage of fights out there at welter. Also, there's no reason why, as a legit belt holder, that brook can't go after these guys too. Is brook chasing khan much  different to khan chasing floyd? Both are just after the biggest payday they can get.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 23 Dec 2014, 11:18 pm

Floyd did not fancy Khan when he was not boxing his best, he is hardly going to fight him now.
I think the Manny fight might happen if Floyd also ducks Manny again..

If he does not fight Brook I think going by the size of a fight I would say a rematch with Garcia who could come up to WW.. other than that Im not sure what other fight would bring in interest.. maybe maybe Marquez but he is too old now..

Not much else really, i think Khan will go for Floyd, then Manny. Before going for Brook as if he looses either of them then the Brook fight can still happen at some point and be a pretty big fight, but if he does not get Floyd or Manny now, he probably never will..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

I am sure they will look to find another fighter who has a slight name, but that likes to stay on the outside and cant punch for toffee. Any of the real top men will KO him before he can get his big Floyd payday and looking at the last 4 opponents that his team have put him in with they are well aware of it themselves.
Tunes I dont think for one second think Floyd is now or ever has been ducking Khan, its more about the fact that Khan is not at his level and having been beaten 3 times by fighters Floyd would have beat with one hand its just not the level of opponent that's going to sell PPVs  The ridiculous hype for Khan over here is not shared by the rest of the world who have not be bombarded by the UK media hype that has built him up as some elite great of the ring and ignores the huge gaps and flaws in his attributes that have lead to 3 losses and 8 knockdowns in his career already. I have a fair few mates who are big fans of boxing from all over the world and their opinion generally seems to be a fast but weak chinned and light punching top 10 fighter who will always lose against a top level hard punching pressure fighter, they simply dont regard him in anyway near the high esteem he is held by many on these shores.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

milkyboy wrote:If khan wants to enhance his credibility, Marquez, Bradley or Garcia. All would enhance his cv, all very winnable. All losable too, so if he thinks he's inline for a shot at the big boys but needs to wait his turn he might take a filler... We'd slate him for it, but Marquez, Bradley and Garcia have hardly fronted up to a who's who of the division in their last fights.

There's an argument that after maidana's better than expected showing against floyd, a rematch with him would give a benchmark, as would Guerrero to a lesser degree. Thurman, porter carry more risk with arguably less benefit. There's boner too... No shortage of fights out there at welter. Also, there's no reason why, as a legit belt holder, that brook can't go after these guys too. Is brook chasing khan much different to khan chasing floyd? Both are just after the biggest payday they can get.

Nail on the head.

Khan gets slated by some people for wanting to fight Floyd and yet it's perfectly ok for Brook to shout to the rooftops about a fight with Khan. Both are chasing the money, as they're entitled to.

in any case, I think Khan wins a wide decision against Brook who I think is far too overrated on this board.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 24 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm

Brook chasing Khan is very different to Khan chasing Mayweather imo.

Brook hasn't avoided anyone.

Khan, post Garcia,  avoided the punchers at LWW( Matthysse, Rios) and has yet to face a puncher at Welter.

He'll never face another puncher again unless it's Pacquaio and the big payday imo. But he doesn't deserve that payday yet imo because he's blatantly cherry picked.

Like a batsman saying I'll skip the opening bowling if you don't mind and go straight to the medium pacers.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed 24 Dec 2014, 2:45 pm

hogey wrote:I am sure they will look to find another fighter who has a slight name, but that likes to stay on the outside and cant punch for toffee. Any of the real top men will KO him before he can get his big Floyd payday and looking at the last 4 opponents that his team have put him in with they are well aware of it themselves.
Tunes I dont think for one second think Floyd is now or ever has been ducking Khan, its more about the fact that Khan is not at his level and having been beaten 3 times by fighters Floyd would have beat with one hand its just not the level of opponent that's going to sell PPVs  The ridiculous hype for Khan over here is not shared by the rest of the world who have not be bombarded by the UK media hype that has built him up as some elite great of the ring and ignores the huge gaps and flaws in his attributes that have lead to 3 losses and 8 knockdowns in his career already. I have a fair few mates who are big fans of boxing from all over the world and their opinion generally seems to be a fast but weak chinned and light punching top 10 fighter who will always lose against a top level hard punching pressure fighter, they simply dont regard him in anyway near the high esteem he is held by many on these shores.

He beat Maidana.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Thu 25 Dec 2014, 5:47 am

Maidana, berto, mattysse, bradley or garcia.

Would like to see berto or mattysse but probably won't happen any time soon.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Thu 25 Dec 2014, 5:50 am

hogey wrote:I am sure they will look to find another fighter who has a slight name, but that likes to stay on the outside and cant punch for toffee. Any of the real top men will KO him before he can get his big Floyd payday and looking at the last 4 opponents that his team have put him in with they are well aware of it themselves.

Now living in the USA I can vouch for this, they just don't get the khan and hate hype.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 25 Dec 2014, 12:21 pm

hogey wrote:

The fact that Floyd him self offered the fans to vote for Khan or Maidana and Khan won the vote, this would indicate that Floyd at that stage thought Khan a realistic fight and that the fans would have rather seen that fight than the Maidana fight, but Floyd could fart an excuse out and his fans would say it was valid.

The bottom line is styles make fights. Floyd has not faced a fighter as quick as him... and when he came close against Zab we saw problems, and Zab is not as good as Khan. Like it or not, when you are at the top you are going to face the desire for people to pit you against the most potent challenge as that's what makes fights interesting.

Maidana, Alvarez, Guerrero, Ortiz,  are all fighters that mean that Khan has a right to throw his name in the ring and given that Khan offers something none of those fighters do means the fight would be something new.

And given Khan has just completely schooled a 2 time champ regarded as a good fighter, then I would say the fight is now Floyds to duck... And with out a shadow of doubt he will duck him.

Floyd is great but also picks his fights very very carefully ...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 25 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Just to add, When I say duck, I do not mean Floyd thinks he will lose. Im sure he is confident he would win. But he is also aware of the risk levels and that boxing is not always set in stone, he picks his fights very carefully. He is aware the risk element of facing someone as quick as Khan poses more threat to the usual come forward swinger, or someone who does not have the speed to outbox him...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Thu 25 Dec 2014, 4:46 pm

I'd love to see bradley

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Thu 25 Dec 2014, 4:51 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Brook chasing Khan is very different to Khan chasing Mayweather imo.

Brook hasn't avoided anyone.

Khan, post Garcia,  avoided the punchers at LWW( Matthysse, Rios) and has yet to face a puncher at Welter.

He'll never face another puncher again unless it's Pacquaio and the big payday imo. But he doesn't deserve that payday yet imo because he's blatantly cherry picked.

Like a batsman saying I'll skip the opening bowling if you don't mind and go straight to the medium pacers.

Brook for one reason or another didnt fight Alexander, turned down Bradley, then eventually stepped up to fight Porter.

Post garcia, he fought once at 140 again and that was against Molina - in a comeback fight - what do you want, him to come back from a KO loss to fight Mathysse?, Rios is with TR and until recently they stopped working together. So who has Khan actually avoided?, He's had one fight against a gatekeeper Callazo and a top fighter in Alexander at 147, when has he had the time to fight a Top KO puncher from golden boy at 140.

Last edited by KO-KING on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 25 Dec 2014, 5:19 pm

To fight Matthysse again?

Sorry I'm not with you..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Thu 25 Dec 2014, 6:16 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:To fight Matthysse again?

Sorry I'm not with you..

Typo.

One mistaken word which hardly changed the point of the post made the whole post incomprehensible to you?

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 25 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

Mate you are such a bore. Lighten up on Christmas Day can't you.

Alright maybe that's a bit ott to say he ducked Rios(who destroys Khan imo,) but your egoing to have to do better to convince us he didn't duck Matthysse.

Put some spin out on various websites proclaiming his desire to fight Matthysse first , then enter a tournament with Matthysse only for Schaeffer to concoct a story to say it wasn't set in stone when it looks as if he might actually have to fight the Argentine.

Anyway this is tiresome because I don't have any particular like or dislike towards Khan. If he gets Mayweather the. good luck and I'll be cheering him on. But don't tell us he's deserved it, hey?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Thu 25 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Mate you are such a bore. Lighten up on Christmas Day can't you.

Alright maybe that's a bit ott to say he ducked Rios(who destroys Khan imo,) but your egoing to have to do better to convince us he didn't duck Matthysse.

Put some spin out on various websites proclaiming his desire to fight Matthysse first , then enter a tournament with Matthysse only for Schaeffer to concoct a story to say it wasn't set in stone when it looks as if he might actually have to fight the Argentine.

Anyway this is tiresome because I don't have any particular like or dislike towards Khan. If he gets Mayweather the. good luck and I'll be cheering him on. But don't tell us he's deserved it, hey?

Give me a time period when he ducked Mathysse...

Mathysse only got a significant W when he beat Soto and ajose in 2012, Khan already had Peterson and Garcia scheduled during then - which were seen as legitimate fights, then he got KO'd and rightly started with an easier fight in Molina, then he couldn't make 140 anymore.

Mathysse in my eyes beat Judah and Alexander by a point, but he still got an L from them regardless, when Judah beat Mathysse and KO'd Mabuza, Khan fought him... then Peterson then Garcia, so when did he duck Mathysse?

I think Mathysse KO's Khan, but thats not the point, he still didnt really duck him.

Maybe khan doesn't deserve the floyd fight, but hardly any do, and hardly any hold a chance to even do well.

Khan has done more than, Guerrero, Maidana, Ortiz. If your strictly looking at who he has beaten, Alvarez did less than Khan - his best win at that time was Trout, who's mediocre. So thats what one fighter in cotto in the past 4/5 years that deserved a floyd fight more than Khan. we will all like to see Pac vs Floyd, but that probably isnt going to happen.

And Merry Christmas to you to.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 25 Dec 2014, 10:27 pm

Khan does not really duck fighters, he has been cautious with big punchers after being KOed any well managed fighter would do.

Im not convinced Mathysse would KO Khan anyway, People get too excited when they see big punchers, yes if you have power and face someone you can outbox or our muscle you will KO them in flash style as you got the power to do it with, but when he has faced guys as good he has lost close fights with them with Petersen being the only one he beat...

I would see Khan taking a UD in that fight, with probably some hairy moments for him, a bit like when he beat Maidana.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:38 am

Tunes are you Amir's dad or brother Laugh
To be honest mate, you sound as deluded as King (dropped 8 times and beaten 3 times) Khan. He is cherry picking his way to a big fight and has clearly spent his last four fights taking opponents who would make him look good and not have any risk of KOing him to try to make people forget he got utterly destroyed by Garcia a top fighter and outfought by Peterson a pretty average one. The profile of his recent opponents seems to be light punching, low output, fighters who prefer to stay on the outside and apply little pressure. Since his 2 on the bounce loses he has fought absolutely no one that would justify a huge fight with either Floyd or Manny. At least Kel Brook has beaten one of the best men in the division in Porter and a better fighter than any Khan has beaten. I honestly think Khan would would not last 6 rounds against the swarming style of Shawn Porter or the power of Thurman or Mattsye.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:54 am

Safe to say Hogey you're not his biggest fan and it definitely shows in your posts, fairly sure you picked both Collazo and Alexander to knock him out. When they didn't you've changed your tune and they've turned into nobodies. Peterson did not out fight Khan at all, it was a comfortable if unspectacular Khan win in my opinion.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:05 am

Have to agree with HH, to imply khan is a ducker or cherry picker of any kind is farcical. Your dislike of Khan is extremely evident in every post. The chinny tag is getting beyond a joke too, whilst it can't be argued he hasn't got a granite chin, the way some people talk I don't know why his opponents don't just waft a paper at him to knock him out. Joke.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:17 am

No mate you right i am not his biggest fan, for me his record simply does not justify the silly hype. He is good fighter, but nowhere near the top men in the division, he talks himself up and fools boxing fans, then gets beat and flatters to deceive against handpicked low risk opponents for a few fights, then many get all caught up with the hype again and then out of nowhere he gets brutally beaten and the cycle begins again. I did not think either would beat him i just said its possible they could both possibly KO him, lets be fair looking at the list of light punchers that have dropped him anyone has a chance of putting him out. My feeling about the Alexander fight was that if the rarely seen best Alexander turned up he could win, but if as expected the normal, unambitious, plodding and perennial big fight failure Alexander was the version we got on the night then Khan would win a wide decision. The fact i even gave such B grade fighters a bit of a chance against him does tell you how high i regard the bloke. Funny enough though i actually would love to see him prove me wrong and come good by living up the lofty expectations many have of him as i enjoy watching his fights and have immense respect for the heart he shows and the fact he always comes to fight, if his chin and power could match it he could have been a great fighter, with such flaws he is simply a very good one.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:26 am

It's too easy say I predicted Alexander to win but because he didn't it was the worse version of him, that was purely down to Khan being far too good for him, the best of Alexander didn't win and would never win.

How can they be low risk fights when you're predicting them to beat him, seems like an oxymoronic statement.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:36 am

With hindsight i agree with you about Alexander, though i never predicted they would beat him i said they had a chance to KO him, but i expected he would win wide decisions in both bouts. You can never say even the poorest low risk opponents does not have a chance when you look at his history of being bounced, but he has fought 4 of the easiest possible of boxers possible while still claiming to be worthy of a shot at the number 1 in the world. If he had fought a Garcia, Porter, Thurman or Mattsye in one of those last 4 fights he would now be starting a media career with Sky Sports not bleating about deserving a fight with Floyd.
Anyway i am off for spell of partying with my family now, so i hope you all enjoy the rest of Christmas and have a happy and healthy new year. RedWine

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

Personally I'd like to see him drop down to 140 and beat the stuffing out of Petersen. boxing

However, I think he'll go after Brook if he can't get one of the big boys. It's a title fight and there's decent money to be made over here if it comes off.

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 26 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

Love to see him fight Broner

Think thats a good fight and would see broner take a lot of shots which is always fun to see

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 26 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

Fair point WHU and Khan could actually go into a fight as the people's favourite for once. The question is... Would khan be willing to go to cruiserweight to make the fight with boner happen?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down