The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality

+13
Taylorman
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
majesticimperialman
nathan
Gwlad
Breadvan
quinsforever
BamBam
rodders
Submachine
bluestonevedder
The Saint
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality - Page 2 Empty Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality

Post by The Saint Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

In the words of the great man himself - "I like winning. I don't believe in the bull of playing well and losing, I'd rather play like crap and win a game any day of the week."

Even as a five-year-old, Warren Gatland just wanted to win. Every night before he played for Eastern Suburbs, he wore his rugby shirt to bed. Just before he drifted off into dreams of winning the following day, he'd fold up his kit and put it on the end of his bed.

In his school years, Gatland's lunch hour would be spent with a rugby ball in hand or playing ball rush, a version of British bulldog; the summer would be cricket's turn. The afternoon, more often than not, would be spent sat in the classroom caked in mud. He'd be barefooted; wearing shoes to school only occurred from the age of 12. Any matches, casual or more competitive, were only worthwhile in his eyes if the score was kept.

"If they were out in the playground playing as a class and if we were playing rugby or football and the teacher was playing so there was no score, I had no interest," Gatland told ESPN as the fire flickered and the snow fell outside the cafe at the Vale. "It didn't drive me, I turned off. It took me a long time to realise that about myself, that's what drove me. It is competition and being successful."

Years on and as we sit after Gatland named his eighth Six Nations squad as Wales coach, the desire to win remains intrinsic to his DNA. "I'm still driven now. If we lose a game I don't sleep very well that night or the next night. I take it to heart. I expect players to be like that.

Further to the discussion, Gatland was asked about how he handles the media -
"It's just part of the job," Gatland said. "I've got quite a good handle on it. I don't always think the media reflect public opinion and I think I'm a reasonable judge of that. There's no cowpat with me, I just tell it straight. I think the public get that and understand and respect it. They are almost like the silent majority while there are the minority who kick off. It was the same in Ireland.

"People tell me I'm under pressure, but who created it? It wasn't created by me. Was it someone in the media? It's my biggest challenge at the moment. I pride myself on being honest and straight up, if I'm asked for my opinion, I'll give them an opinion. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. Those are the sort of ideals I've lived by.

"I have no problem with people being critical of me, or people disagreeing with me, as with selection it's a matter of opinion. I like to think at times I admit I made a mistake and you expect other people to do that."

The most controversial selection call of Gatland's coaching career was the Brian O'Driscoll case in the third Test of the 2013 British & Irish Lions tour. Gatland was widely pilloried pre-match for his decision to drop the veteran. The 41-16 thrashing his Lions handed out to the Wallabies was validation. When he took his seat in the post-match press conference he referred to reaction to the selection as "vitriolic". Even now, 18 months on, the memories provoke frustration.

"I was blown away by that. It is a pressure job and that's what I was paid to do, perhaps that was their take on it. I understand that but after a 40-point result they probably think they have put two-dozen eggs in one basket and it's tough to retract from that. There are others who still can't acknowledge that (Keith Wood). That's part of the learning process."

There is no autocracy with Gatland when it comes to planning and preparation. If a coach or player is not challenging a decision, he wonders why. Some need an arm around them and others need "a good boot up the backside". "You try and create a winning ethos through that. A big part of us in the Wales set-up is we have tried to get the players to be confident about having an input. We have a group of people where we get on well together, we have some fun and we aren't afraid to disagree or dispute. It's healthy. You create a situation where there is no issue with challenging. The end result is that when we make a decision it's one that we've all been involved in."

Gatland acknowledges that the 2019 World Cup will likely be the end point for a few of Wales' more notable internationals but for the here and now, the focus returns to the Vale and the Six Nations. Gatland will preside over a 34-man squad for the forthcoming championship. It is a competition that has proved to be a happy hunting ground for him. The Grand Slams of 2008 and 2012 dovetail with their success in 2013. But for him the memory of a certain try in 2009 was the perfect incarnation of his coaching philosophy.

It came at Murrayfield. Shane Williams found himself on the right wing, an uncertain position, but he managed to offload to Leigh Halfpenny who scored in the corner to make it 21-3 to Wales. "It was a special moment," Gatland smiles as he recalls it but more important on that day was their victory.

Such moments are a perfect manifestation of the work he puts in to ensure success both in the short and long-term. But that hard work will mean nothing unless Wales are on the right side of the scoreboard. It's the lifeblood of the man. "There's nothing in between when it comes to rugby, it's agony or ecstasy."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/wales/rugby/story/253811.html#MSahtOOLG76Dl5xP.9

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:02 am

Bit simplistic to look at anything purely on stats though as well.

It would be good to put the same residency rules in for coaches as for the players.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland, winning coach with a winning mentality

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

I don't think that would change anything, the last coach the RFU picked who had the credentials for the job was Jack Rowell, otherwise I don't think they have ever selected the best guy for the job English or otherwise.

Can't see how a nationality rule would make a difference....?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:09 am

They've always picked who they believe was best. Separate issue though, I just feel the rules should apply across all aspects of the national team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

wales is so riven by club and regional rugby rivalry, that i'm not sure any welshman could survive the manager job for long unless they were very very successful.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:26 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:They've always picked who they believe was best. Separate issue though, I just feel the rules should apply across all aspects of the national team.

I'm personally not so fussed about coaches, but, whatever the principles involved, I think this would be a barrier to development for emerging teams like Japan and Italy, who have benefited a lot from being able to import the expertise of more successful rugby nations into their coaching teams through people like Jones, Mallett and Kirwan.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:35 am

They've not exactly improved leaps and bounds have they though thomh? If anything it's just helping NZ as it's their coaches who are practising in the British Isles before getting their preferred job.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:39 am

quinsforever wrote:wales is so riven by club and regional rugby rivalry, that i'm not sure any welshman could survive the manager job for long unless they were very very successful.

I know, although Ruddock did pretty well before the knives came out.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:42 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:They've not exactly improved leaps and bounds have they though thomh? If anything it's just helping NZ as it's their coaches who are practising in the British Isles before getting their preferred job.

I think they both have in the grand scheme of things. Italy were pretty hopeless for their first few years in the 6N and are now at least competitive in a few games each season, often taking a win or two. Japan also seem to be quite a bit more competitive and beat Wales' 2nd XV in 2013.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:50 am

Wouldn't it be of more benefit to see some of these coaches taking a club job and working their way up and helping the whole of their rugby? I just think it's the one area which is completely ignored. You see so many moans about residency qualified players but no one seems to care the most important man at a national team has been flown in from Aus/NZ/wherever. Same rules across the board would also encourage teams/nations to develop their coaches as they do their players.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:Or...WG, a 50:50 coach with a 50:50 record against Japan, and a 50:50 win record overall in 8 years in charge, talks a lot of guff about winning.

What games has he lost to Japan? I firmly lay the blame at McBryde's door for that.
Wales didnt ask gatland to go on the lions tour. his departed created the conditions for whoever came in. by that measure, howley has a better 6N record than Gatland!

yes but if he wasn't on the tour how could he have lost it?  Headscratch

was gatland being paid by the WRU in the position of head coach while he was with the lions? or fixing his ankles or whatever it was he did?

answer yes. so i'll let him claim the howley 6N, but also give him the japan loss. which by gutting the welsh team with his lions selection he surely contributed to more than mcbryde!!!

I believe selection for the tour was with McBryde really. He still had enough quality available to take to Japan, but chose not to take players like Ryan Jones.

I don't really credit anybody for Wales winning that Six Nations, as I think the players won the tournament despite Howley (who had us playing some atrocious rugby before the England game).
i think we all know who won that one...steve walsh Run

Ah yeah. What a lovely, handsome man he is

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 27 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:Or...WG, a 50:50 coach with a 50:50 record against Japan, and a 50:50 win record overall in 8 years in charge, talks a lot of guff about winning.

What games has he lost to Japan? I firmly lay the blame at McBryde's door for that.
Wales didnt ask gatland to go on the lions tour. his departed created the conditions for whoever came in. by that measure, howley has a better 6N record than Gatland!

was gatland being paid by the WRU in the position of head coach while he was with the lions? or fixing his ankles or whatever it was he did?

answer yes. so i'll let him claim the howley 6N, but also give him the japan loss. which by gutting the welsh team with his lions selection he surely contributed to more than mcbryde!!!

I believe selection for the tour was with McBryde really. He still had enough quality available to take to Japan, but chose not to take players like Ryan Jones.

I don't really credit anybody for Wales winning that Six Nations, as I think the players won the tournament despite Howley (who had us playing some atrocious rugby before the England game).

Now i get it, the main flaw with the 6 Nations is Steve Walsh, oh and England repeatedly coming 2nd. Thanks for clarifying thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 27 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm

Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Now i get it, the main flaw with the 6 Nations is Steve Walsh, oh and England repeatedly coming 2nd. Thanks for clarifying thumbsup
nah. we were crap in 2013. was a completely new team with a new coach with only a caretaker mandate. Wales were just so utterly inept against scotland and ireland, in poor quality games, that England thought they actually had a chance. and England also had one eye on their 7 point advantage. both turned out to be mistaken!

lots of people like the 6N. i just dont think its anywhere near as special as the RWC. for 2 reasons. RWC included the SH teams, and it is a round-robin plus knockout phase. whoever wins the last match wins all the marbles. much better format for me.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

nah. we were crap in 2013. was a completely new team with a new coach with only a caretaker mandate. Wales were just so utterly inept against scotland and ireland, in poor quality games, that England thought they actually had a chance. and England also had one eye on their 7 point advantage. both turned out to be mistaken!

lots of people like the 6N. i just dont think its anywhere near as special as the RWC. for 2 reasons. RWC included the SH teams, and it is a round-robin plus knockout phase. whoever wins the last match wins all the marbles. much better format for me.

A caretaker mandate…what was that then now? don't worry about winning laddie, you only have to clean the bogs in the changing room? Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

caretake mandate, that's how mcbryde referred to it, carrying a bucket of sh1te over to japan after gatland hollowed out the team in his quest to get wales fist win on the SH in his tenue, except with a decent 9 and 10 ...Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2