The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not much talk re Mitchell

+6
John Bloody Wayne
TRUSSMAN66
CallMeBenji
Coxy001
milkyboy
KingMonkey
10 posters

Go down

Not much talk re Mitchell Empty Not much talk re Mitchell

Post by KingMonkey Tue 03 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

Unless I've missed it!!

Superb performance on Saturday night, Linares and a world title awaits!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Not much talk re Mitchell Empty Re: Not much talk re Mitchell

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Feb 2015, 3:53 pm

There was a bit of chat on Saturday's live thread, but 
I think most of us have just lost interest in Mitchell. I know I have. Always rated him as a boxer, katsidis is maybe forgiveable at that time, but the burns fight?

That said, if its linares, its a kindred spirit. Great boxer linares, no punch resistance. Managed to get another title despite not fighting anyone with a pulse since those back to back knockouts a few years ago. So Mitchell has a puncher's chance. He won't outbox him, unless linares has really slipped... I haven't seen him fight recently.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Mitchell is a weird one, gets knocked silly by a shot Katsidis but then produces a career best performance against Estrada who I expected to beat Kev pretty handily.

Who knows, may finally have his head in the right place. Always struck me as a good boxer but was tended to unravel at the first opportunity.

Fearing that this could just be a flash in the pan performance, but good luck to him in any case.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Tue 03 Feb 2015, 4:13 pm

I was impressed with Mitchell but probably more disappointed with Estrada on Saturday. That was definitely the best that Mitchell has looked, however he won't be able to get away with winding up those left uppercuts with Linares. His combinations were excellent but he was able to take a lot more liberties due to Estrada telegraphing his punches so badly.

However, you would have to say that Mitchell is in the best position he has ever been in to win a world title. If he doesn't this time then you'd be hard pressed to argue that he has unfulfilled potential as he'll simply be known as the guy who couldn't win the big one.

If he doesn't beat Linares then I don't think he'll be able to mentally handle coming down to domestic level and being an acid test for the likes of Luke Campbell.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 03 Feb 2015, 4:57 pm

Can't say that Katsidis was shot when he beat Mitchell. Kats went on to give JMM a good scrap. He's shot now of course but that was years back.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 5:25 pm

milkyboy wrote:There was a bit of chat on Saturday's live thread, but 
I think most of us have just lost interest in Mitchell. I know I have. Always rated him as a boxer, katsidis is maybe forgiveable at that time, but the burns fight?

That said, if its linares, its a kindred spirit. Great boxer linares, no punch resistance. Managed to get another title despite not fighting anyone with a pulse since those back to back knockouts a few years ago. So Mitchell has a puncher's chance. He won't outbox him, unless linares has really slipped... I haven't seen him fight recently.

Have to agree with this. Mitchell has had so many false starts..........I can't be bothered either.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 5:37 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Can't say that Katsidis was shot when he beat Mitchell.  Kats went on to give JMM a good scrap.  He's shot now of course but that was years back.

Caught JMM with a left that dropped him. Took one of the biggest beatings in recent times outside of that.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm

Kevin Lueshing dropped Tito..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

Who else has done to Marquez in the last ten years outside of Mayweather and Pacman? Barrera against the tide if I remember right? Pretty good company.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:28 pm

The Estrada fight might cancel out the Katsidis mess, but where does that leave us with the Burns loss?

Burns, lovely bloke though he is, was a fairly basic World Champion and KM couldn't beat him. So how is he any more capable, or deserving, of being a world champ now??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:The Estrada fight might cancel out the Katsidis mess, but where does that leave us with the Burns loss?

Burns, lovely bloke though he is, was a fairly basic World Champion and KM couldn't beat him.  So how is he any more capable, or deserving, of being a world champ now??

Excellent point...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm

Going life and death with the game but far too one-dimensional John Murray doesn't bode well for Mitchell either.

Maybe he needs his mum back at ringside screaming her head off

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 04 Feb 2015, 12:21 pm

Life and death with Murray? It was a good fight but Mitchell systematically broke him down in (I think) fewer rounds than Rios. I'm not sure why he needs to cancel out past poor performances in order to get credit to be honest. He demolished Estrada far better than anyone thought he would. The Burns showing will always be there but I don't have it down as a measuring stick.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 04 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Life and death with Murray?  It was a good fight but Mitchell systematically broke him down in (I think) fewer rounds than Rios.  I'm not sure why he needs to cancel out past poor performances in order to get credit to be honest.  He demolished Estrada far better than anyone thought he would.  The Burns showing will always be there but I don't have it down as a measuring stick.

How many fights do you want to use as a measuring stick ??

Let's just pretend his record doesn't exist..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:27 pm

It's a cliche but you're only as good as your last fight. Because Burns knocked him out and Linares was ahead on the cards vs DeMarco before being knocked out but DeMarco would have beat Burns do we think Mitchell loses vs Linares?

It's nonsense! Right now, on current form, I think Mitchell takes Linares handily. Against Burns he was rubbish but that's neither here nor there. If they fought again now Mitchell would probably win.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

I'm not basing my view of Mitchell v linares on anything other than linares being a sublime talent. Unless his boxing skills have diminished with his punch resistance, Mitchell good boxer that he is won't outbox him. Now I haven't seen linares in a few years and he's fought dross so maybe he is a shell. Even if he's not, he has whisker  problems  so Mitchell is very capable of knocking him out. Demarco lost every minute of every round but still managed to do it.

I'm guessing you have seen linares since those back to back knockout defeats monkey? Or do you just see their respective skill levels differently to me?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 04 Feb 2015, 3:51 pm

Not going lie mate but Estrada was absolutely and utterly terrible on Saturday night. Mitchell could see his punches coming from the previosy Saturday they were THAT bad.

Poor slow jab, shoddy footwork in straight lines, winding punches with no accuracy. How that guy is work ranked at all is beyond me based on that showing.

Reminded me of a Mexican version of Prescott with his tall stance an windmill punches......but Prescott looks like Mayweather in comparison.

That's why I'm personally not looking too much into this fight as even I could have done a job last weekend

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 04 Feb 2015, 8:27 pm

To be fair Estrada gave a very good fighter in figueroa problems

Linares is a pretty talented fighter like mitchell and also like mitchell seems vulnerable and that's what makes it interesting

Linares favourite but kevin is a game opponent, a focused mitchell is a test for any lightweight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by buttermancan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 8:36 am

I think Mitchell looked fantastic on saturday. Granted, the man standing in front of him was a perfect match but he performed very well indeed.
The worries I have about Mitchell are that he is naturally quite a small framed chap and as good as his head movement is he still gets caught with shots.
Always thought the lad had unfulfilled potential, lets hope he can deliver now. thumbsup

buttermancan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down