The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege

+3
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege Empty CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 May 2011, 7:04 pm

Nineteen year old paceman Matthew Dunn has been called into the Surrey squad for the CC match away at Derbys starting tomorrow. As readers of the original 606 forum will know, Dunn has been tipped since last season for full military honours by the Corporal. Very Happy

Further details and views to follow ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege Empty Re: CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 May 2011, 7:58 pm

Hokey doke, the thirteen man squad is:
Hyphen (capt)
Roi king
Ramps
de Bruyn
Davies (wicketkeeper)
Maynard
Batty
Jordan
The Viscount
Dernbach
Dunn
Jewell
Burns.

I assume Burns has been added as cover in case Davies hasn't fully recovered from an ankle sprain he suffered in the last match. Clearly only one of these two will play.

That probably leaves Dunn and Jewell to fight it out for the last place. However, Jordan shouldn't assume he is too far ahead of either in the pecking order.

The slow bowler who played in our last CC game and whose name can no longer be reported for a mix of legal, medical and IT reasons has been omitted from the squad. Erm

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege Empty Re: CC Derbys Away or Call Up for Corporal's Protege

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 May 2011, 8:44 pm

Look forward to hearing Depressed's views on the squad Wink

The bowling line up does rather look like a decent 2nd XI attack - which is what it is. Even tho' I have great hopes of him I am not actually sure that Dunn has done all that much so far this season to merit a call up - I guess it's a case of needs must. I rather fear that the best we can hope for is a draw.

Guildford - at the Oval the other day did you see any sign that Jordan might deliver on his original bowling potential? The view seemed to be that he had lost much of his pace....

As in the last match we are heavily dependent on Dernbach.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 May 2011, 10:54 pm

The ball from Jordan that got Petersen lbw on Wednesday was certainly fired in and gave cause for some optimism. However, before that he was sometimes too short and seemed to be striving for extra pace that wasn't there. I think this contributed to his frustration and the 'verbals' with Cosker I mentioned the other day. As with Michael Brown, expectations that he could carry on straightaway from where he left off in 2009 have sadly proved unrealistic.

I agree with you that Dunn hasn't done anything special this season - he had a stinker at Fenner's which was a real opportunity to showcase his talents. As you say, a case of needs must and, also I suspect, a gee up for the others.

As well as Dernbach, the Viscount needs to come to this party from the start. IF (big if) that happens and the batters don't muck up, things might go better than you fear.

Depressed - like the Corporal, I look forward to your return. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 May 2011, 10:45 am

According to the BBC website Dunn and Burns miss out. Presumably Dunn's call up papers did not arrive in time Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 May 2011, 11:27 am

Guildford - the Viscount must have been reading your post - he's turned up to the party from the start with two early wickets Very Happy

The forecast for tomorrow looks like a complete washout so we'll want to get stuck in rapidly....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 May 2011, 11:32 am

I said last night that the Viscount needed to come to this party from the off - well, he has certainly started in party mood having bagged both openers in his first two overs!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 May 2011, 11:36 am

Looks as tho' Derby were in party mood as well. Guptill hit a six in his brief innings of 9.

I am sure it will be good for Dunn to polish the squad boots and manage the platoon kit bag during this match!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 May 2011, 11:51 am

Corporal - hadn't seen your first bulletin this morning when I posted. Great - or at least, similar - minds! Very Happy

Agree with you about Dunn - add in a bit of square bashing at lunchtime! Wink

Chesney Hughes is doing well, particularly as the last time I saw him he was tied up in someone's basement!* Shocked

* Comment for followers of Coronation Street only. Corporal - guess you are more of a 'The War This Week' man!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 May 2011, 1:34 pm

The Viscount strikes again on the stroke of lunch - we needed that. Especially as we put the opposition in.

Guildford - afraid to say that military duties and indeed other vital occupations - such as checking Freddie van den Burgh's economy rate or, frankly, staring out the window - have meant that I have never watched an episode of Coronation Street in my life!

Do you recommend that I should adjust the platoon rosters to make time for Corrie?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 May 2011, 2:44 pm

Corporal - no, you would be well advised to stick with studying the fine points of young Freddie's economy rate rather than like me fall into the addictive clutches of Corrie!

The programme I tried to refer to last time was in fact 'The World at War' - far more up your military street!

Jordan currently going at around six an over - hmmm ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 29 May 2011, 2:47 pm

Corporal - rosters should be amended immediately to incorporate Corrie - it's essentail viewing, especially for the wit and wisdom of Scary Mary! Note to Guildford - Chesney, now unchained! in Weatherfield is a Battersby-Brown!

Anyway, back to the depressing cricket, and as another game appears to be slipping away despite the omission of 'a mediocre 2nd divison cricketer' (name unmentionable!) the rain forecast for tomorrow is again going to be our star player. At least there's a 3 week break from cricket (I don't include T20 as cricket!) after this game, and hopefully Meaker and a rejuvenated Arafat should return to bolster our appalling bowling 'attack'

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 May 2011, 6:53 pm

Shame none of the other Surrey bowlers joined the Viscount at the party!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 May 2011, 7:15 pm

Corporal - notice you have posted early to catch your first ever episode of Corrie! Certainly don't expect to hear from Goochie in the next half hour .... Wink

Completely agree with you about the other bowlers. Particularly poor return from Jordan. Thought Hyphen should have given de Bruyn a go - Hyphen seemed more than happy to overbowl de Bruyn against Glamorgan. The conditions would have suited de Bruyn as well today. Roy could also have been given a couple of overs to see if his golden arm and luck were still in. Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 30 May 2011, 10:30 am

We shouldn't get too carried away with negativity - after all the headline on the Surrey website pronounces that it was a "tightly contested first day". 🤦

Blast - forgot to watch Corrie! Too busy tending the barrack gardens....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 30 May 2011, 6:24 pm

Corporal - hope you don't mind but I've used your reference to 'tightly contested first day' on the wallpaper site. Expect the tins of paint to start flying! steam

Delegate the gardening to one of the squaddies and settle down for Corrie at 9:00 tonight ..... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 30 May 2011, 10:40 pm

Guildford - feel free. People are tearing strips off each other, appropriately, on the wallpaper site Wink

Didn't see Corrie - but I did take in the test match highlights. Good to see Stewart Walters playing a cameo role as a substitute fielder when he collided with Bell as they both tried to take a catch. Not exactly a Gary Pratt moment Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 10:03 am

Following the call up of Jade Dernbach to the England squad, the Corporal's protege Matthew Dunn has been conscripted midway into this game for his County Championship debut.

In an exclusive interview on Surrey Militia TV, Dunn allegedly is reported as saying: 'I would really like to thank the Corporal for all the faith he has shown in me. This makes all those hours in the parade ground worthwhile. If at the end of my career I have half as many medals as the Corporal, I'll be one very happy soldier.'

It is understood that Dunn will be under the command of the Viscount when play resumes at Derby this morning.

The Corporal meanwhile was believed to be watching an omnibus version of Coronation Street and was unavailable for comment. Smile Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 31 May 2011, 11:05 am

laughing

Dunn can of course expect a prolonged career in the military since one of his relatives, Corporal Jones, (aka Clive Dunn) has been stalwart in the service for about the last 70 years!

What would happen if a player was called up to England if he was a not out batsman overnight. Would the replacement player also get an innings?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 11:26 am

Linley has a sixfer! Let's hope England don't take a liking to him or Clive Dunn (Don't panic Mr Adams!) might be in line for a call up!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 1:34 pm

good afternoon ladies and gentleman i can confirm today that the transfer of jimbobgooner from 606 to 606v2 has been completed the i's have been dotted and the t's have been crossed the fee is undisclosed.jimbobgooner would like to say he enjoyed his time at 606 and looks foward to his new challenge at 606v2 and hopes it will be as successful i know some of you have worked with him in the past and look foward to working with him again the only thing left to say is Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 2:15 pm

My day just gets better and better - the warmest of welcomes, JimBob. I'm sure it was a very hefty transfer fee!

I'm sure the Corporal will soon be inviting you to join him for welcome drinks in the officers' mess. I'll leave him to fully update you about Depressed and what is/isn't allowed to be mentioned on here ....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:24 pm

cheers guildford always look foward to a drink with the corporal and hearing what is/isnt allowed to be mentioned Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:26 pm

right time for my 1st update on the match 180 for 3 the hyphen out for the comedy number Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:28 pm

so weird not to have to wait to post anything

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:30 pm

i see jason roy run out in the unluckiest way you can get out in cricket Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:36 pm

some people from 606 not happy i left :run1:

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:43 pm

well chaps can you see us making a loan signing with denbach and tremlett with england and meaker and arafat injured.jordan has gone backwards since his injury dunn lacks experience so that leaves us with just the viscount

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:50 pm

50 for de bruyn clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 2:59 pm

de bruyn out for 53, 210 for 4

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 3:04 pm

Wotcha Jimbob! Good to have you aboard!
If Dernbach isn't selected for England, doesn't he return to his county?
It's T20-tastic.............not! for the next 3 weeks so I'm not that interested, gives our injured bowlers a bit of time to recover before the next CC match though.
Anyway, we have a top T20 bowler who will play in all the games, but we're not allowed to mention him by name!
De Bruyn out now - wonder if we'll declare with a deficit here to see if Derby want to make a game of it?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 3:06 pm

cheers gooch who are we not allowd to mention here do i need to ask the corporal Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 3:09 pm

gooch i think dernbach will have to learn the art of carrying out the drinks Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 31 May 2011, 3:09 pm

The Viscount is next in line for an England call up.

Welcome Jimbob! The officer's mess is open after hours.....

Depressed is in a very fragile state atm. Cannot mention a certain "spinner" - in any cc thread. It is however permissible to mention Batty - should you wish to do so. De bruyn out. Scoring rate still over 5 an over.

Are we looking to declare on reaching 300 or 350 (if we get that far) and then put Jordan and Jewell on to bowl in the hope of a realistic declaration Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 3:13 pm

cheers corporal not batty who could it be Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 4:07 pm

280 for 4 at tea

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 4:34 pm

50 for Davies

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 4:39 pm

50 for Maynard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 4:41 pm

Maynard 50 as well - if we get to 400 with only 4 down, is it worth smashing on and getting a lead, then letting Batty spin us to victory.................or am I in cloudcuckooland even contemplating it?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 4:44 pm

The game and our innings could go anywhere from here. Shocked

350 all out or still batting in the morning with around 500 on the board?

If we can get a lead, we should look to build on it (rather than declare straightaway) and then bowl them out in around 2 sessions tomorrow.

Hmmm - interesting ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 4:46 pm

Well Davies has just got out for 78 so maybe we might have to change our plans lads

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 31 May 2011, 4:49 pm

334 - 5 off 61 overs! Brisk is an understatement.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 4:51 pm

6 down now - me and my big mouth!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 4:51 pm

That's 3 batsmen who got past 50 who have not gone on to get a big score

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 4:51 pm

Goochie - I just posted without seeing yours.

It may turn out to be ridiculous but it's worth contemplating at the moment. Mind you, we'll certainly need a few mystery balls from the off spinner [legal restrictions still in force] and another honourable performance from the Viscount ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 31 May 2011, 4:57 pm

7 down - not a match Jordan will want to remember, I fear. Change of plan needed? Scrape to 350 then declare?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 5:01 pm

Might as well have picked the s word for all the good Jordan has done

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 5:03 pm

That's ok Guildford - looks like the Corporal's idea is best now - get them back in for an hour tonight and see if we can roll them over for under 200 and chase 250 in 2 sessions...........if Roy and Hyphen get going, it could be done in one!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 31 May 2011, 5:06 pm

Jimbob - I almost agree, but don't tell Depressed!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 5:11 pm

Turn away for fifteen minutes and we lose 3 wickets!

Jordan having a nightmare match! Sad

Time for Jewell to shine .... Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next