The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Eubank JR - Best Of British?

+14
Strongback
horizontalhero
TopHat24/7
catchweight
3fingers
ONETWOFOREVER
leedizzle1986
Seanusarrilius
Hammersmith harrier
captain carrantuohil
AlexHuckerby
Derbymanc
wheelchair1991
hampo17
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chris Eubank JR - Best Of British? Empty Chris Eubank JR - Best Of British?

Post by hampo17 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:13 pm

Boxrec now have Chris Eubank JR as the number one middleweight in the UK above Martin Murray and Billy Joe Saunders.

So, agree or disagree?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chris Eubank JR - Best Of British? Empty Re: Chris Eubank JR - Best Of British?

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm

Disagree totally

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:20 pm

Disagree completely.
Dunno where these rankings come from these days.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

Absolute point blank, ridiculousness.

He's also apparently a 1/2 on favourite against BJs if they fight again, would happily put a bit on BJS via Points if they fought again would you not?

Murray beats him surely?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:41 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Disagree completely.
Dunno where these rankings come from these days.

Boxrec use computerized rankings, so the only way I can see him realistically moving above them is if his recent run of opponents is better than theirs, which it clearly isn't.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

I was suprised to hear he was favorite too alex i would think Murray would beat Eubank comfortably at the moment too tough too relentless, in the future who knows, but this is not now

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

Love them to be my bookies. Presumably they make Saunders about a 5/2 shot to win a re-match and that's much too good a bet to ignore.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

I'd be betting on Eubank to turn on the heat earlier and win in a rematch, Saunders just didn't look like he could handle the pressure.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:56 pm

He handled it well enough, if you ask me; either way, Eubank is no 2 to 1 on shot and he can't be ranked as the best middleweight in Britain as things stand. I've noticed that Saunders fails to impress people much of the time, but he does possess the priceless knack of chiselling out wins against unbeaten or nearly unbeaten fighters, which isn't a bad one to have.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

The problem for me Captain is that given the talent disparity he shouldn't have struggled at all in the first fight. In a rematch id expect Eubank to improve and hasn't been farting about since making a fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

Absolutely not. BoxRec have terrible rankings, which they need to sort out as a lot of people go there for the stats. Murray is number one. BJS has to be above Eubank as he beat him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

Around 3/1 for BJS to win on points, quite suprising really...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:18 pm

How far do we think Jr can go? I want to get excited about him.... but something is holding me back.

I would actually have BJS above Murray. Murray put in decent efforts in LOSING performances against Sturm and Martinez and GGG is just on a different planet. But if you are looking at wins, BJS has Beat Eubank, OSullivan, Fletcher and Ryder.Not bad at all, who has Murray actually beat?

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm

Well he did actually beat Martinez in reality.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

I disagree. He gave Sturm a close fight but I think he lost and same with Martinez. That fight was there for the taking but he just didn't do enough. I respect all boxers and he seems like a good lad, I just find him dull. Very little power and not a great boxer either.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

I thought Ryder beat BJS persopnally

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:31 pm

Close fight. I've never really been impressed by BJS either but he has well and truly cleaned up at domestic and European level. Got to give him that.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:51 pm

Certainly think there was a little home town cooking going on in that Martinez fight Lee, in front of that crowd he wasn't losing that fight on points.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm

No doubt about it.

Eubank JR IS the best M/W in the UK. I think the experts can see that for all his qualities BJS is essentially a very good Euro level fighter and I think we should all realise this.

The experts are looking towards the future and future championship contests. Lets be honest if you aint Floyd then you need to be able to bang at the top level of the division. BJS carries no significant power that will take him to the top. He is a very good operator but once his skill has been negated what then???

Eubank JR has the tools that if enhanced further can put him in and around the top tier of the division. Speed, Power, grit and a good chin so far. I think the potential is clear for all fans to see should it be homed in the right way. This is not a put down of BJS but I have never seen him as a world champion in the middleweight division and I would give Eubank JR a better chance against GGG then BJS.

As for murry I think he is on the slippery slide since what looks like a career ending beating the other day he's done at world level.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm

Murrays may not be the biggest puncher but according to some he couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, which is slightly harsh.

I've been doing some boxrec'ing to put things in perspective.

Early in his career he fought some lads who went onto to prove they were durable... Jamie Ambler lost 59 (KO 6), Dean Walker lost 42 (KO 9), Michael Banbula lost 26 (KO 3), James Tucker lost 62 (KO 3) Dean Walker lost 42 (KO 9).

He then had three prize fighter fights, I don't think there's many stoppages in the 3 x 3 format.

Later, he fought guys like Max Bursk and Karim Achour who’ve never been stopped, and others like Peter Mitrevski Jnr whos lost 9 but only been stopped once.

I hope this adds something to the argument regarding Murrays (lack of) punch power.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

BJS should fight Murray next.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

Puts it into perspective that he's neither as good or hits as hard Matthew Macklin but is tougher, a 37.5% knockout rate for a world level Middleweight is poor no matter how you try and spin it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:No doubt about it.

Eubank JR IS the best M/W in the UK. I think the experts can see that for all his qualities BJS is essentially a very good Euro level fighter and I think we should all realise this.

The experts are looking towards the future and future championship contests. Lets be honest if you aint Floyd then you need to be able to bang at the top level of the division. BJS carries no significant power that will take him to the top. He is a very good operator but once his skill has been negated what then???

Eubank JR has the tools that if enhanced further can put him in and around the top tier of the division. Speed, Power, grit and a good chin so far. I think the potential is clear for all fans to see should it be homed in the right way. This is not a put down of BJS but I have never seen him as a world champion in the middleweight division and I would give Eubank JR a better chance against GGG then BJS.

As for murry I think he is on the slippery slide since what looks like a career ending beating the other day he's done at world level.

Are you actually serious OneTwo, or have you decided to become D4 lite.

We're now to rank people based on what they could do, not what they have done. Eubank lost to BJs and then fought a walking punchbag, how does that make him the best in house, never mind Britain.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

I would have backed Murray to beat Eubank and Saunders but the beating he took from Golovkin may have damaged his career irreparably.

Didnt see Eubanks last fight but I thought the contest with Saunders was pretty disappointing. Neither would beat Murray on that showing.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:23 pm

BJS and Eubank Jr both get cut to ribbons by GGG.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

Derbymanc wrote:

We're now to rank people based on what they could do, not what they have done. Eubank lost to BJs and then fought a walking punchbag, how does that make him the best in house, never mind Britain.

How many fighters jump straight back in the ring after loosing a BIG fight?

Give the kid respect he can only get better.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

99% of them, very few retire after a solitary loss.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:99% of them, very few retire after a solitary loss.

You know what I mean.

It was not that long ago that he lost to BJS and he said after the fight that he was going straight back to the gym the next day. That is the hallmark of a champion.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm

It's the hallmark of a professional boxer.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:44 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It's the hallmark of a professional boxer.

This was no gimmie fight.

That opponent he bounced around the other night was a tough pick by anyones standerds. Give the kid his dues.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:

How many fighters jump straight back in the ring after loosing a BIG fight?

Give the kid respect he can only get better.

So now you ranking him based on the fact he got in the ring with a fighter. Are you actively promoting for the fight game to be turned into a Joke.

I nominate my little lad is no.1 as he got in the ring last week,takes balls to do that at 7 you know. Rolling Eyes

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:43 pm

I agree with onetwo...

Eubank could easily have been matched against a duffer to make him look good; I don't think he needed that type of opponent as a confidence booster though - he performed well against BJS and probably believes he has the beating of him.

Credit needs to go to Eubank for taking on a live opponent in his comeback fight.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 03 Mar 2015, 8:32 am

So your rating him no.1 in Britain then 3F's.

It's his job to train and get in the ring, not a major thing to expect him to do it really is it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 03 Mar 2015, 8:45 am

Eubank's a good fighter and obviously an ambitious one, which is all to the good and a world away from his Dad, who was an even better fighter but had no great ambition other than to make as much money from the sport as possible. Quite right, too, in many ways.

That's a world away from saying that he's the leading British middleweight at the moment. His record doesn't say he is; at the very least, he would have to reverse the result against Saunders to enter the discussion and I don't quite see why that is regarded as the likeliest outcome if and when they meet again.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

Are you gunning early doors for v2's annual WUM of the year award??

Some really nutty posts recently.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 9:29 am

Preposterous ranking that only WUMS or retards would try support.

You can't rank ahead of a guy that's just beaten you handily, simply by beating a good, but nothing special, fighter. Ranking Murray is tricky as he's had a run of losses but against vastly superior opposition to BJS or Jr. I had him beating Martinez and he faired better against GGG than anyone else I can think of.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 10:59 am

One thing that annoys me about Eubank Jr is the perception from people that he only lost to Saunders as he didn't get going quick enough. That's a joke. He lost the first 6-7 rounds because Saunders boxed his head off and Eubank couldn't get near him..... Eubank fared better in the later rounds as BJS got tired, not because Eubank had some sort of master plan. If BJS sorts his engine out I don't see how Eubank can ever beat him... He just doesn't have the boxing skills.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:19 am

I think it's more to do with the feeling that Eubank has the greater potential to improve out the two them, yes he was outboxed by BJS, but he was a big step up in class, and posed problems that Eubank hadn't encountered before. It's not about skills, but how to apply them. It should be remembered that BJS had a long and successful amateur career, and had fought much better men as a pro than Eubank who had a very short amateur career , and few decent scalps as a pro. Given this gulf in experience BJS should have done better than a split decision against a man who is essentially a novice. Like many others, I thought Saunders looks more like a light middle, think he should work on his strenght and conditioning if he is to make the most of his out doubted talent.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:29 am

horizontalhero wrote:I think it's more to do with the feeling that Eubank has the greater potential to improve out the two them, yes he was outboxed by BJS, but he was a big step up in class, and posed problems that Eubank hadn't encountered before. It's not about skills, but how to apply them. It should be remembered that BJS had a long and successful amateur career, and had fought much better men as a pro than Eubank who had a very short amateur career , and few decent scalps as a  pro. Given this gulf in experience BJS should have done better than a split decision against a man who is essentially a novice. Like many others, I thought Saunders looks more like a light middle, think he should work on his strenght and conditioning if he is to make the most of his out doubted talent.

Don't think there's any doubting that Eubank has the potential (and should be applauded for taking the BJS fight) and could very well be Britains number 1 in the future, just not now.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:57 am

I can't remember who said that 'Eubank Jr is a great athlete but not a skilled fighter'.

That summed it up for me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

Eubanks got some engine. BJS and Gavin are similar for me. Both look like they could fight the weight class below. Both very good boxers but couldn't crack an egg.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 03 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

Derbymanc wrote:So your rating him no.1 in Britain then 3F's

No

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

leedizzle1986 wrote:One thing that annoys me about Eubank Jr is the perception from people that he only lost to Saunders as he didn't get going quick enough. That's a joke. He lost the first 6-7 rounds because Saunders boxed his head off and Eubank couldn't get near him..... Eubank fared better in the later rounds as BJS got tired, not because Eubank had some sort of master plan. If BJS sorts his engine out I don't see how Eubank can ever beat him... He just doesn't have the boxing skills.

BJS boxed his head off for the first 6 or 7 rounds but Eubank did box conservatively to begin with (probably unsure how he'd fair over 12).

Next time I think the plan would be too push harder sooner. Eubank would still get out-boxed early but BJS would tire sooner. If that was the case then Eubank might nick a 7 to 5 decision.....though it would depend on BJS's conditioning because undoubtedly he is the superior boxer.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:12 pm

Not number one yet, but certainly with the potential to become so.

By this time next year, wouldn't surprise me at all. My word what a cocky young man though. Anybody else and you'd find it a bit off-putting. But seeing as he's his father's son, I take it all with a pinch of salt. In fact I quite enjoy it.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

We should applaud the pair for taking the fight in the first place, neither of them really needed it but in a real shock a fight the fans wanted to see was made as the fighters wanted to prove who the better man was.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm

People are already reinventing the Saunders fight..........Apparently If he started earlier he wins that fight........

Funny..... I thought he was outboxed until Saunders coasted.........and gave him a sniff !!

If they fight again...........My money is on Saunders....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Fans who predicted Saunders would win the first fight butt-hurt that Junior is odds-on for the return...

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:54 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Fans who predicted Saunders would win the first fight butt-hurt that Junior is odds-on for the return...

So I'm butt hurt....No that comes tonight !! Wink

I'm deluded I'll agree..............Because obviously the first fight never happened...I must have imagined it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 03 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

If Saunders can stay with him for 12 then he wins, he's the superior boxer. Whether he wins the rematch is up to him. If the rematch is anything like the first fight, which I thought was great, then id prefer eubank to win to set up a rubber.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 03 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:People are already reinventing the Saunders fight..........Apparently If he started earlier he wins that fight........

Funny..... I thought he was outboxed until Saunders coasted.........and gave him a sniff !!

If they fight again...........My money is on Saunders....

I'm not convinced that he decided to coast.. I thought he looked knackered, and Eubank started to out muscle him. BJS should have continued to box as he did in the early rounds, but didn't have the strenght or fitness to do so.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next