The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commentators

+16
Cyril
Luckless Pedestrian
offload
BamBam
RuggerRadge2611
dummy_half
captain carrantuohil
Notch
SecretFly
rainbow-warrior
TightHEAD
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Higher_Ground
majesticimperialman
george doors
20 posters

Go down

Commentators Empty Commentators

Post by george doors Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:17 am

A great days rugby yesterday on TV, but who gets the worst commentator/pundit award. Got to be between Jiffy and Eddie Butler. My vote would go to Jiffy

george doors

Back to top Go down

Commentators Empty Re: Commentators

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:20 am

Martin Williams. For saying after the Wales game yesterday. that Wales have won the 6ns trophy. for the amount of points they scored.

OhhhhhhhhhhhHow wrong he was. Yahoo

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:22 am

Eddie Butler is probably the best.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Martin Williams. For saying after the Wales game yesterday. that Wales have won the 6ns trophy. for the amount of points they scored.

oh dear!

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Higher_Ground wrote:Eddie Butler is probably the best.

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:27 am

george doors wrote: Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo

It's probably worth pointing out (or not, depending on how intelligent people are) that there is no right/wrong answer here. It's purely down to personal preference.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:35 am

Higher_Ground wrote:
george doors wrote: Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo

It's probably worth pointing out (or not, depending on how intelligent people are) that there is no right/wrong answer here. It's purely down to personal preference.

Well I am highly intelligent and think that education is important but rugby is more importanter

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:51 am

Eddie Butler is terrible.

The gloss has come off Moore too as he just can't stop moaning, he is so Frak negative and self righteous!

But still butler and his wannabe poetry just destroys the game for me. And his stupid ore match carp he cones up with.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:07 am

?

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:15 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Martin Williams. For saying after the Wales game yesterday. that Wales have won the 6ns trophy. for the amount of points they scored.

Are you sure about that? You misquoted Gatland yesterday, so I am not sure you are correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

Butler was awful yesterday, from his over-pronounced French names (often corrected by Castaignede, though even Thomas gave up with " Roaaaari Ko-co") to mis-identifying players. I know they both had scrum caps on, but if you are unable to tell the difference between Haskell and Nowell you have a problem.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:29 am

I think it was Butler who was calling Liam Williams, George North last week (as did the guy yesterday). Also, he does have a habit of over-pronouncing the French names yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:34 am

The beeb will lose the rights soon so no more Eddie, Brian, jiffy, Jerry, Keith, Andy or the worst of the lot Mr inverdale. Not all bad news them
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 22 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

Risca Rev wrote:

Are you sure about that? You misquoted Gatland yesterday, so I am not sure you are correct.

Not half as wrong as the England T shirt makers ..... another job lot of 2015 Champions shirts in the incinerator I wager Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 22 Mar 2015, 12:03 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Butler was awful yesterday, from his over-pronounced French names (often corrected by Castaignede, though even Thomas gave up with " Roaaaari Ko-co") to mis-identifying players. I know they both had scrum caps on, but if you are unable to tell the difference between Haskell and Nowell you have a problem.

Did he make that mistake? Shocked Oh dear.

On scrumcaps............... every wearer seems to play about 15% more abrasively than a non wearer.  Perhaps they should be compulsory? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

I don't think I can sit through another overblown Butler narrated montage. We've reached peak Butler.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Think of us Welsh, Notch. We have constant Butler on Scrum V and pigging Sean Holley on every Welsh related programme nowadays.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:24 pm

Not over-pronounced French names so much as correctly pronounced ones. EB was, after all, in another incarnation a French teacher at, I think, Cheltenham College.

Smart bloke and I think a very good commentator. Even St Bill of McLaren could be a bit over-poetic at times and EB's way is infinitely preferable to most of his contemporaries, with the possible exception of Cotter, who I think is extremely capable in any of the sports to which he turns his hand in the commentary box.

Of the summarisers, I still like Moore and Matthews who are happy enough to call things as they see them. The rest are much of a muchness - an extremely forgettable muchness. Nicol possibly the worst but he has stiff competition from the studio pundits, who are uniformly banal in their utterances.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

TightHEAD wrote:The beeb will lose the rights soon so no more Eddie, Brian, jiffy, Jerry, Keith, Andy or the worst of the lot Mr inverdale. Not all bad news them

Apparently 10 million people watched the finale yesterday. Rugby needs the game to remain on the BBC. More money for less exposure isn't a good enough trade off.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:30 pm

Yes, I can hardly wait for Harrison, Barnes and the rest of the over-excitable, lowest-common-denominator mob on Sky to take their turn again.

The Daily Mail made flesh, that lot.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Not over-pronounced French names so much as correctly pronounced ones. EB was, after all, in another incarnation a French teacher at, I think, Cheltenham College.

laughing I'm sorry captain but I remember a French teacher of mine years ago who laughed that she was considered a Fluent French speaker in Ireland but actual French people in France couldn't ever understand a word she said!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

Just be careful what you wish for, that's all I'll say, Secret. If Miles Harrison gets the gig again, the Peter principle will be in the best health of its existence.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:44 pm

Oh I'm not in the 'Get rid of Butler - or indeed Inverdale - but then I've given up looking at the BEEB coverage. I used to zip over and back between BBC and RTE, now I don't bother.

But I just find Butler's poetry sessions funny - not a reason to ban him! Clarkson would lose all his current anti-hero status if that happened Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Mar 2015, 9:42 am

Not only did Butler mistake Nowell for Haskell (JN making a tackle on his wing), he also mistook Robshaw for Marler when CR was chasing after a charge down.

And of course a few years ago there was the continual mis-identification of Robshaw as Croft.

Have to say that the i-player is a great invention: I can start watching delayed 15 minutes, missing all the pre-match carp, and then skim through the half time nonsense and be back to watching pretty much live in the 2nd half. OK, it reduces the drinking game possibilities, but that's no bad thing...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

The best thing Scotland Have in the tournament is Andrew Cotter. Says a lot!!!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:04 am

Notch wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:The beeb will lose the rights soon so no more Eddie, Brian, jiffy, Jerry, Keith, Andy or the worst of the lot Mr inverdale. Not all bad news them

Apparently 10 million people watched the finale yesterday. Rugby needs the game to remain on the BBC. More money for less exposure isn't a good enough trade off.

10 Million viewers = MONEY MONEY MONEY to big TV companies. The Beebs days are numbered.

It's called Progress Notch!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:13 am

This is how the Culture Vulture Satelite guys work. Let everyone else do the years and years of growth and product placement work and collect the sponsorship interest, then come in. take over, kill the audience but grow the price of ICELAND ad breaks....

Nice.

Lovely product.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

I refuse to believe Noa Nakaitaci is pronounced Noa Nakahatadi , no matter how much Butler tries to convince me

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

Don't want to kick the Scotts when their down but answer has to be Andy "dark horses" Nicol. Surely Scotland can field a better pundit than him?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

offload wrote:Don't want to kick the Scotts when they're down but answer has to be Andy "dark horses" Nicol.  Surely Scotland can field a better pundit than him?

PS:  Don't find Matthews much better - always states the obvious and never brings any fresh insight.

Last edited by offload on Tue 24 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:30 pm

yappysnap wrote:Eddie Butler is terrible.

The gloss has come off Moore too as he just can't stop moaning, he is so Frak negative and self righteous!

But still butler and his wannabe poetry just destroys the game for me. And his stupid ore match carp he cones up with.

That's my favourite song on Trout Mask Replica.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Eddie Butler is terrible.

That's my favourite song on Trout Mask Replica.
Yahoo Always good to see a Beefheart reference!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Andy Nicol should be replaced by Paterson (although he seems to be sneaking his way into commetary!)

the worst at the weekend was by far martyn williams who started laughing when Wales started running in tries!

I don't care how passionate he is, as a commentator you should be professional enough not to laugh at another team like that!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

I think Jiffy gets a bad deal on here, I find him quite knowledgeable on the game and he explains quite a lot during the game as well, and he will say it as it is. I love his "Right, what we've got here, if you just wind it back a bit" lines where he tells you who should be standing where and who should be defending what, ok he might have a bit of a high pitch voice, but his understanding of the game is second to none.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm

Don't want to spoil your day, but Inverdale has been signed by ITV for their RWC coverage.

The good side is that they have Dayglo, Wilko, Billy Whiz and not so good SCW.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:05 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

Don't want to spoil your day, but Inverdale has been signed by ITV for their RWC coverage.

Christ, are they going to have any Welsh, Scottish or Irish people on board ? I can see it now, everyone and their dog predicting an England win before a ball has been kicked. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

tigertattie wrote:Andy Nicol should be replaced by Paterson (although he seems to be sneaking his way into commetary!)

the worst at the weekend was by far martyn williams who started laughing when Wales started running in tries!

I don't care how passionate he is, as a commentator you should be professional enough not to laugh at another team like that!

I'd be very surprised if we was laughing at Italy. I suspect he was maybe laughing because some of the scores were very nice and pretty long range and pretty unwarrenball like (particularly the one where we went pretty much coast to Coast).

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

Christ, are they going to have any Welsh, Scottish or Irish people on board ? I can see it now, everyone and their dog predicting an England win before a ball has been kicked. Whistle

http://www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/itv-announce-line-up-for-2015-rugby-world-cup

Jonny Wilkinson, Lawrence Dallaglio, Jason Robinson and the coach who led them to that famous victory, Sir Clive Woodward, will all be studio pundits for the tournament.

Former scrum-half George Gregan, who skippered Australia that day and also played in the victorious 1999 Wallabies side, is also part of ITV's line-up.

Former Wales and Ireland skippers Gareth Thomas and Brian O'Driscoll will also be involved in the coverage, which will be led by presenter John Inverdale.

Former British and Irish Lions and Scotland coach Sir Ian McGeechan, victorious 1995 South Africa captain Francois Pienaar, New Zealand's Sean Fitzpatrick, Australia's Michael Lynagh, former England international David Flatman and England Women World Cup winner Maggie Alphonsi complete the list of pundits.

Craig Doyle and Mark Durden-Smith will also be presenters for the tournament. Joining them with a wealth of experience in the commentary box will be Nick Mullins, Miles Harrison, Jon Champion, Martin Gillingham and Simon Ward, plus co-commentators Geordan Murphy, Scott Hastings, Shane Williams and Ben Kay.

Bringing viewers all the latest developments from in and around the venues will be reporters Jill Douglas, Martin Bayfield, Fran Donovan and Gabriel Clarke.

So, plentiful diversity of nationalities.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:35 pm

Having re-watched the England v France game, I have to apologise to Butler, as the mis-identification of Robshaw for Marler was by Moore (wasn't a charge down either but on chasing a loose ball).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

The worst news is that they'll be using Shane Williams. As brilliant a player as he was, he's dull as ditchwater as a pundit. I've never heard him say anything that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:14 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Andy Nicol should be replaced by Paterson (although he seems to be sneaking his way into commetary!)

I'd be very surprised if we was laughing at Italy. I suspect he was maybe laughing because some of the scores were very nice and pretty long range and pretty unwarrenball like (particularly the one where we went pretty much coast to Coast).

He wasn't laughing when Italy scored thier long ranger!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The worst news is that they'll be using Shane Williams. As brilliant a player as he was, he's dull as ditchwater as a pundit. I've never heard him say anything that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Isn't that another way of saying you agree with everything he says?

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 24 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

http://www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/itv-announce-line-up-for-2015-rugby-world-cup

Jonny Wilkinson, Lawrence Dallaglio, Jason Robinson and the coach who led them to that famous victory, Sir Clive Woodward, will all be studio pundits for the tournament.

Former scrum-half George Gregan, who skippered Australia that day and also played in the victorious 1999 Wallabies side, is also part of ITV's line-up.

Former Wales and Ireland skippers Gareth Thomas and Brian O'Driscoll will also be involved in the coverage, which will be led by presenter John Inverdale.

Former British and Irish Lions and Scotland coach Sir Ian McGeechan, victorious 1995 South Africa captain Francois Pienaar, New Zealand's Sean Fitzpatrick, Australia's Michael Lynagh, former England international David Flatman and England Women World Cup winner Maggie Alphonsi complete the list of pundits.

Craig Doyle and Mark Durden-Smith will also be presenters for the tournament. Joining them with a wealth of experience in the commentary box will be Nick Mullins, Miles Harrison, Jon Champion, Martin Gillingham and Simon Ward, plus co-commentators Geordan Murphy, Scott Hastings, Shane Williams and Ben Kay.

Bringing viewers all the latest developments from in and around the venues will be reporters Jill Douglas, Martin Bayfield, Fran Donovan and Gabriel Clarke.

So, plentiful diversity of nationalities.

Damn no Austen Healy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:25 pm

optimist wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The worst news is that they'll be using Shane Williams. As brilliant a player as he was, he's dull as ditchwater as a pundit. I've never heard him say anything that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Isn't that another way of saying you agree with everything he says?

No, it's another way of saying he adds nothing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm

Great reply, thanks OK

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

He wasn't laughing when Italy scored thier long ranger!

no, but I'm laughing at the riposte! laughing

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 25 Mar 2015, 12:01 am

Have to agree, he looks bored, sounds bored and is well, boring

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down