The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have always wondered...

+6
psycho-gooner
Samo
Jammy31
Liam_Main
Dr Gregory House MD
Brady12
10 posters

Go down

I have always wondered... Empty I have always wondered...

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 9:54 pm

.....what would happen if the booked winner of the Royal Rumble carelessly gets himself eliminated?

Is there a contingency plan?

Would the rules bend in order to get the planned winner re-instated?

I can't claim to say I have watched them all so I don't know if this has happened before.

Thanks guys.

Back to top Go down

I have always wondered... Empty Re: I have always wondered...

Post by Brady12 Sun 29 May 2011, 10:32 pm

Technically this happened in 2001 I think. The Rock was due to win the Rumble & did but it was pretty clear his feet touched the floor before The Big Show's.... The next night on Raw they had the Big Show show footage of this. It created a match at The Pay-Per-View before Mania for the title shot.

If it happened mid way through I'm sure they'd discuss it in the back with the remaining guys who weren't already out there. They'd get the message across to the guys in the ring that way

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 29 May 2011, 11:19 pm

This also happened in 2005 as Batista wasn't meant to go over the top with Cena, fortunatly both men hit the floor at the same time so they were able to order a restart

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 11:23 pm

It's happened more frequently that I thought then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 29 May 2011, 11:32 pm

FreekShow wrote:It's happened more frequently that I thought then.

It is an interesting question, both these eliminations happened near the end of the match and as far as I am aware there has never been a situation like say Chris Benoit in 2004 was acidentally eliminated mid-way through the match when he was supposed to go from 1-30

Ai-Ri was eliminated accidentally this year when he was supposed eliminate Cena but it was re-worked so Miz did it instead after Ai-Ri's distraction

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 29 May 2011, 11:40 pm

Didn't Chris Jericho get eliminated accidentally half way through the 2003 Rumble?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 11:51 pm

I asked this because I re-watched the 92 Rumble last night and there were occasions when Ric Flair was dangling on the top rope which got me thinking.

Is the bottom half of the Rumble loaded with "superstars" in case of this actually happening?

I mean lets say a top name is in with three mid carders at the end and he recklessly eliminates himself, how do they get themselves out of that hole?!

Saying that it would add shock value I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 29 May 2011, 11:53 pm

FreekShow wrote:I asked this because I re-watched the 92 Rumble last night and there were occasions when Ric Flair was dangling on the top rope which got me thinking.

Is the bottom half of the Rumble loaded with "superstars" in case of this actually happening?

I mean lets say a top name is in with three mid carders at the end and he recklessly eliminates himself, how do they get themselves out of that hole?!

All part of the unpredictability and excitement of the Rumble!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 11:54 pm

Liam_Main wrote:
FreekShow wrote:I asked this because I re-watched the 92 Rumble last night and there were occasions when Ric Flair was dangling on the top rope which got me thinking.

True, that's probably why it has always been my favorite event.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 11:57 pm

Liam_Main wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 30 May 2011, 12:11 am

FreekShow wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:

I would pick the Royal Rumble over Wrestlemania any day.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2011, 12:20 am

Liam_Main wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:

Whats your favorite Rumble Liam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 30 May 2011, 12:26 am

FreekShow wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:

Whats your favorite Rumble Liam?

Mine would have to be 2004. Benoit eliminating all the big guys was brilliant. So many big names in it aswell.

What was yours?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2011, 12:48 am

92, never tire of watching it. The commentary itself is worth the viewing. If that makes sense!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Mon 30 May 2011, 12:02 pm

I've often wondered why someone hasnt bought in weapons into Rumbles that much lately. The last time I remember that happening was with a masked Kane, when he went round hitting the likes of Steve Blackman with a dustbin (The year escapes me ?)

Because you're allowed to climb out under the bottom rope arent you? So, they could just roll under the ropes, grab a weapon, bring it back in and unleash hell.

Another thing Ive wondered, is why hasnt anyone come into the rumble, fought for a bit, then gone out under the ropes, and hidden until the last man? I know that people have been "Eliminated" then come back in (E.G. Santino last year), but they are usually just recovering on the outside. Ive never seen anyone sit out the rumble on purpose to then jump back in and possibly steal a win.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 30 May 2011, 12:29 pm

Jerry the King Lawler did that one year, but I cant remember what one.

I also remember Road Dogg clutching the bottom ropes for a good 10 minutes during the 2000 rumble.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Mon 30 May 2011, 3:22 pm

Jammy31 wrote:I've often wondered why someone hasnt bought in weapons into Rumbles that much lately. The last time I remember that happening was with a masked Kane, when he went round hitting the likes of Steve Blackman with a dustbin (The year escapes me ?)

Because you're allowed to climb out under the bottom rope arent you? So, they could just roll under the ropes, grab a weapon, bring it back in and unleash hell.

Another thing Ive wondered, is why hasnt anyone come into the rumble, fought for a bit, then gone out under the ropes, and hidden until the last man? I know that people have been "Eliminated" then come back in (E.G. Santino last year), but they are usually just recovering on the outside. Ive never seen anyone sit out the rumble on purpose to then jump back in and possibly steal a win.

Edge did that during a Raw Battle Royale to become #1 contender.....or was it a Battle Royale to gain 2 draft picks? The reason eludes me

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Jammy31 wrote:Another thing Ive wondered, is why hasnt anyone come into the rumble, fought for a bit, then gone out under the ropes, and hidden until the last man? I know that people have been "Eliminated" then come back in (E.G. Santino last year), but they are usually just recovering on the outside. Ive never seen anyone sit out the rumble on purpose to then jump back in and possibly steal a win.

Did Jerry Lawler not do that one year he never won but he tried it I'm sure.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 30 May 2011, 8:55 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Jammy31 wrote:Another thing Ive wondered, is why hasnt anyone come into the rumble, fought for a bit, then gone out under the ropes, and hidden until the last man? I know that people have been "Eliminated" then come back in (E.G. Santino last year), but they are usually just recovering on the outside. Ive never seen anyone sit out the rumble on purpose to then jump back in and possibly steal a win.

Didn't Vince McMahon leave the ring under the bottom rope then return to win the Rumble?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 9:38 pm

Marky wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Didn't Vince McMahon leave the ring under the bottom rope then return to win the Rumble?

Yeah he did it was in 99. Him and Austin were #1 & #2 in the rumble McMahon got out the ring and came back later and with the help of the Rock won the rumble.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 31 May 2011, 9:39 am

Wasn't the Rumble but when Kurt Angle won the World Heavyweight Championship he did this.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 31 May 2011, 11:53 am

You'll find that if you re-watch most Rumble matches there are very few occasions when the eventual winner takes any great risks. The one exception I can think of was Michaels in 1995, but he'd done that hundreds of times over the years so they were confident he could pull it off (plus, if he hadn't, Bulldog was already celebrating the win!).

The reason they have bigger names left at the end is that otherwise it would be predictable!

It's relatively easy and safe to teeter on the top rope a lot. If somebody did screw up and get eliminated, that is an advantage of having the bigger names out there at the end. They would find a way around it quite easily and seamlessly I think. We might notice, but the casual fans (the "marks", if you like) wouldn't have a clue.

Also, they can always rewrite it afterwards. If Santino had accidentally won this year, WWE would have probably just booked him out of the Wrestlemania title match somehow.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Tue 31 May 2011, 11:59 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:

Wasn't the Rumble but when Kurt Angle won the World Heavyweight Championship he did this.

although that was because Mark Henry put him through the announce table, he got a massive pop when he came to and got back into the ring

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2011, 12:22 pm

I felt the Royal Rumble lacked this year. I don't know if it was because of how it ended or whether it's becoming a little predictable nowadays.

4-5-6 years ago it always had to feel that anyone could win it. Now it's down to the top 2 people from each brand that doesn't hold a title.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down