The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+53
monty junior
TheCultOfPersonality
spencerclarke
BlueCoverman
Hibbz
VTR
Kay Fabe
Mad for Chelsea
Holymiky
owen10ozzy
MIG
Mat
westisbest
CFCNick
Alistair
Lowlandbrit
Hoggy_Bear
Scottrf
Nico the gman
Hero
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Dr Shoe
Steffan
wheelchair1991
Crimey
Azzy
CaledonianCraig
nadeem2099
jbeadlesbigrighthand
compelling and rich
Nakatomi Plaza
Fernando
Liam
Ent
Mike Selig
LivinginItaly
Good Golly I'm Olly
sportform
TRUSSMAN66
GSC
Roller_Coaster
NickisBHAFC
Hammersmith harrier
Duty281
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
hampo17
Dolphin Ziggler
super_realist
Dave.
mystiroakey
Stella
FootballLight
57 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 6 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by FootballLight Sun 29 Mar 2015 - 19:44

First topic message reminder :

Sorry 24, I'm thinking of the World Cup again.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Guest Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 12:22

Our attack is not as good as most teams in the world, ROONEY is our only natural goalscorer who's consistent. Sterling can't hit a barn door, Sturridge proved he can't finish at the WC, Townsend & Walcott aren't prolific & neither is Henderson or Wilshere. Welbeck needs 5 chances per goal. if you compare our goal getters to other nations, we're far down the list.

Yesterday just proved why we won't do anything next summer, defence is a shambles, like during the WC.

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 12:24

mystiroakey wrote:Our attack looks as good as most in the world.. So it's looking ok as an England fan.

Our attack is good, but beyond Rooney either unproven (Kane)/ inexperienced (Sterling) or injury prone (Sturridge). And Rooney hasn't really been at his best for England for a while. The fact that Andros Townsend is getting regular starts should be a worry for England fans.

I'm not sure it's looking any better than 'ok' for England fans. Given the weakness of our defence, and the lack of balance to our midfield, I'm not sure we can be competitive against better opposition even if our attack was 'as good as most in the world'. When was the last time England put out a back four as weak as Gibbs-Cahill-Smalling-Jones? Similarly, Delph and Henderson both strike me as remarkably James Milner-esque. Technically decent, hard-working, but not going to strike fear into their opponents.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 12:32

Wilshire with the back up of carrick and I am not sure how you can have a pop at our midfield link to attack.

It's just the finishing(fingers crossed Kane will keep that up and Rooney will improve in his conversion rate) and defence that is causing concern.

Then Walcott, Ox sterling, sturidge, welbeck(great left wing as much as he hates it) and lallana are all very good on the ball. I also rate Delph a lot more than Milner or hendo. And let's be honest andros whilst average as a spud. Does seem to play better for his nation.

We need to sort that effing defence out.

The irony that even though we have been poor for 20 years our defence still ranked top 2 in the world, and know we have some flair we no defenders.

England all over.... Doh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 13:38

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:I've defended Hodgson a number of times, but I cannot understand why he keeps playing centre halves (Stones, Chambers and now Jones), at right back rather than Clyne.
Tony Pulis does it for Albion, four CBs across the back. You'd think we'd be impenetrable from set pieces but what happens is your crap RB/LB give away so many free kicks and corners that eventually mud sticks and you concede.

Jones should not only never play RB for England again, but until he's performing to a good enough standard, he should never play for England again. Quite how he continues to play ahead of the likes of Shawcross, Michael Dawson, hell, Clint Hill, I'll never know. It's rare to see someone struggle so badly for form yet continue to get picked. And it's not as if he's been outstanding for England before, I can't recall a single 8/10 performance from him.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 14:14

Well to be fair to TP it worked at palace.

He was playing some central defenders in the lb and or rob positions.

It depends if the player is adaptable enough.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 14:25

LiamB wrote:Our attack is not as good as most teams in the world, ROONEY is our only natural goalscorer who's consistent. Sterling can't hit a barn door, Sturridge proved he can't finish at the WC, Townsend & Walcott aren't prolific & neither is Henderson or Wilshere. Welbeck needs 5 chances per goal. if you compare our goal getters to other nations, we're far down the list.

Yesterday just proved why we won't do anything next summer, defence is a shambles, like during the WC.
Maybe Roy should actually play the strikers he calls up - he's had both Charlie Austin and Saido Berahino in squads this season and they've not played. Vardy got a small cameo. He continues to waste these opportunities as he doesn't want to 'Graham Taylor' Rooney when he's so close to the goals record.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Jun 2015 - 23:59

The sheer dumbness from those Hodgson quotes about Clyne/Jones this evening is staggering

He must watch a different game to the whole country
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 7:14

Olly wrote:The sheer dumbness  from those Hodgson quotes about Clyne/Jones this evening is staggering

I hadn't read that, but I've just looked up some of his quotes. This stood out for me.

Hodgson: "Jones is a top-quality player. We have great faith in him and we are very happy with him. We think Nathaniel Clyne is a very good player but I would be disappointed if anyone thought that on the basis of a good season with their clubs they can walk in and demand a place."

To me, that effectively says that he picks his favorites regardless of form, even if it means shoe horning them in out of position.

Ironically, according to this article (http://gu.com/p/47epz?), Hodgson had told Clyne the position was his to lose.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 8:29

[quote="LiamB"Our attack is not as good as most teams in the world, ROONEY is our only natural goalscorer who's consistent. Sterling can't hit a barn door, Sturridge proved he can't finish at the WC, Townsend & Walcott aren't prolific & neither is Henderson or Wilshere. Welbeck needs 5 chances per goal. if you compare our goal getters to other nations, we're far down the list.

Yesterday just proved why we won't do anything next summer, defence is a shambles, like during the WC.[/quote]

Actually no you are right it's much better than most in the world considering 200 odd nations play the game.

Anyway amongst the top teams our attack is decent. It's our finishing and defence we need to work on. Our ball retention and penetration final third is moving forward. Shame about the rest.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 8:33

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
Olly wrote:The sheer dumbness  from those Hodgson quotes about Clyne/Jones this evening is staggering

I hadn't read that, but I've just looked up some of his quotes. This stood out for me.

Hodgson: "Jones is a top-quality player. We have great faith in him and we are very happy with him. We think Nathaniel Clyne is a very good player but I would be disappointed if anyone thought that on the basis of a good season with their clubs they can walk in and demand a place."

To me, that effectively says that he picks his favorites regardless of form, even if it means shoe horning them in out of position.

Ironically, according to this article (http://gu.com/p/47epz?), Hodgson had told Clyne the position was his to lose.

International managers do have to balance club form with keeping a consistent squad and first eleven. Picking purely based on club form would lead to an unfamiliar international side every time, hurt team spirit and co-ordination as well as reduce motivation to play well for England. Whilst obviously club form has to be a very big factor, experience and form for England should not be discounted or underestimated.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 8:52

Jones is too cumbersome to be able to cope with good attacking players out wide. My concern is that Hodgson cannot see that. On the flip side, he's an internation manager, so should know more than us lot on here. Clyne must be very unimpressive during training, not to be getting a start.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 9:57

He isn't the finished article (Clyne)

But against a team that lets be honest isn't great he should have no problem and needed the experience.

He was a mugged a few times by the best last year in the PL.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 10:07

Crimey wrote:Whilst obviously club form has to be a very big factor, experience and form for England should not be discounted or underestimated.
I have no problem with this, except that Phil Jones has never had a good game for England. He's never performed in a white or red shirt. He's been so woefully inept that I honestly believe, hand on heart, that most of us would be better off in that team.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 10:08

Azzy wrote:
Crimey wrote:Whilst obviously club form has to be a very big factor, experience and form for England should not be discounted or underestimated.
I have no problem with this, except that Phil Jones has never had a good game for England. He's never performed in a white or red shirt. He's been so woefully inept that I honestly believe, hand on heart, that most of us would be better off in that team.

I agree with this though. Hodgson used an awful example, but the principle for me is important.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 10:10

roy has made this decision because Clyne was ruined by Jonny Russell in the last 10 mins vs Scotland & was woeful vs Italy in the first half & caught out all over the place. Jones is possibly 10x worse though, so it's mind boggling what roy is seeing.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 11:19

I am a massive Man Utd fan but eveni have to admit Jones is pants

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 11:29

Crimey wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

International managers do have to balance club form with keeping a consistent squad and first eleven. Picking purely based on club form would lead to an unfamiliar international side every time, hurt team spirit and co-ordination as well as reduce motivation to play well for England. Whilst obviously club form has to be a very big factor, experience and form for England should not be discounted or underestimated.

I appreciate the need for consistency. But if Jones isn't being picked as a centre back, why shoehorn him into right back over a form player? Does Hodgson genuinely think he might be a long-term solution there? And if you bring in the form right back in the country, why not give him a decent run in the team?

Also, how far does form for England get you? Take Andros Townsend as a prime example. He's had some good games for England, but hasn't shown that for Spurs and has been out of the team. Should he be an automatic starter simply because he played well in a one-off game a few months ago? By all means keep him in the squad for consistency's sake, but starting him over players who are actually playing football week-in week-out?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 11:31

Phil Jones is too stupid to play at the top level. Said it before, hes a poor mans David Luiz
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 11:52

You lot need a player like Gareth Bale in your team. That Wiltshire is ok mind

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:27

Steffan wrote:You lot need a player like Gareth Bale in your team. That Wiltshire is ok mind

is your right back any good?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:29

Stella wrote:
Steffan wrote:You lot need a player like Gareth Bale in your team. That Wiltshire is ok mind

Yeah. All the Wales team is good. We are not as good as England though who will probably win Euro 2016

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:33

Steffan wrote:
Stella wrote:

Yeah. All the Wales team is good. We are not as good as England though who will probably win Euro 2016

We should win it, being the superior football nation.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:45

Stella wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Stella wrote:

We should win it, being the superior football nation.
Yes plus being mighty world beaters as well. It would be good if Scotland, Wales and Rep of Ireland could get there as well though to witness you win it while we will all go out early

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:48

Seriously, it would be great if all five teams got there.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 12:52

Stella wrote:Seriously, it would be great if all five teams got there.
Yes. And everyone can cheer on Wales I hope (if not playing their respected country)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 13:22

You truth is we will cheer on Wales(i do anyway, and not just due to the palace players in your squad)- we have at least 2 and sometimes 3first team regs)You will never cheer on England as you will openly admit.

However there is not much chance of Ireland (especially Ireland and Scotland) getting through.

The even more (maybe)important fact for Wales is they have got in to seeding pot 1 for the World Cup qualifying . So you will have a legimate shot in getting there as well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 13:29

mystiroakey wrote:You truth is we will cheer on Wales(i do anyway, and not just due to the palace players in your squad)- we have at least 2 and sometimes 3first team regs)You will never cheer on England as you will openly admit
I personally enjoy watching England lose but that's just me. Lots of Welsh people I know cheer on England in tournaments

I think if Wales did qualify for 2016 and were doing well in the Euros then some English people would cheer on Wales and others wouldn't as they don't like anyone else from the Isles stealing England thunder

I don't mind though its all sporting banter

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 13:39

Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:You truth is we will cheer on Wales(i do anyway, and not just due to the palace players in your squad)- we have at least 2 and sometimes 3first team regs)You will never cheer on England as you will openly admit
I personally enjoy watching England lose but that's just me. Lots of Welsh people I know cheer on England in tournaments

I think if Wales did qualify for 2016 and were doing well in the Euros then some English people would cheer on Wales and others wouldn't as they don't like anyone else from the Isles stealing England thunder

leave the rivalry for the rugby field.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 13:40

mystiroakey wrote:
Steffan wrote:

leave the rivalry for the rugby field.
Why can't there be rivalry in football as well?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Jun 2015 - 14:34

I support your team- you are like my palace(and use my players) in the international world.

others can have the rivalry- I dont have to do i.

I hope we keep Hennessy and i hope he starts starting as our full number 1 and ledley is a legend(to me) that keeps the south London wide boys(in more ways than one!) in tact. and Williamson(palace out on loan player) has great potential.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 28 Jun 2015 - 10:03

Play the women.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 28 Jun 2015 - 10:43

Atrocious quality.

San Marino would probably beat the England women.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 19:12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34044239

Hodgson is set to name an England squad, but he has delayed it to deliver some tension-driven drama...possibly.

Perhaps he has something up his sleeve? Perhaps England will stick ten past San Marino? Perhaps England will batter the Swiss? Perhaps England will win Euro 2016?

Perhaps everything will be OK!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 29 Aug 2015 - 23:34

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34095858

My lord, Hodgson does have something up his sleeve - Vardy and Shelvey!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 0:18

As average a pair of players as he could call up.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 12:14

Hopefully, after these four qualifiers, Roy will be able to put out a strong team for the matches against France and Germany, and give England fans something to be excited about for the upcoming European Championships.

It is a shame, but England have stagnated in the last year.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 20:20

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones, Phil Jagielka (Both Everton).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph (Both Manchester City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 20:31

Tom Heaton ahead of John Ruddy was always a travesty and still is
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 21:00

What is it these days - 4-3-3?

Hart, Clyne, Stones, Cahill, Shaw, Carrick, Barkley, Milner, Walcott, Sterling, Rooney might be the line-up we see against the Swiss.

Presumably Rooney can break Charlton's scoring record against San Marino (a pitiful achievement), and Vardy might net his first goal for England along the way. #sleepwalktoparis

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 30 Aug 2015 - 23:26

Gibbs, Walcott, Mason all very lucky. Vardy will be gone once any striker of quality is fit. I think Shelvey is massively overrated. Would imagine Alex McCarthy will make the next squad ahead of Heaton.

I think i'd turn the TV off if Milner and Walcott were in a starting line up.

Think Puncheon, Zaha, Cresswell for Gibbs, Walcott, Mason would all be very fair and also give Hodgson a chance to look at some players in training, rather than giving spots to players who dont deserve it and he knows a bit about.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34135432?utm_medium=linkedin&utm_source=twitterfeed

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:24

Dr Shoe wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34135432?utm_medium=linkedin&utm_source=twitterfeed

The rankings are awful, a source of hilarity each time. Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:26

Oh dear. Little old Wales higher up than the mighty world beaters England

What are Fifa thinking?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:28

This is the worst England squad I've seen in my life time.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:30

I'm intrigued as to why Belgium are the second best team in the world.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:30

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:This is the worst England squad I've seen in my life time.

Coupled with an average manager.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:32

Duty281 wrote:I'm intrigued as to why Belgium are the second best team in the world.
I agree. Even we beat them. And we are crap (or "suck" as Soldier of Fortune once said)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 9:33

Duty281 wrote:I mean ten years ago, SWP, Dawson, Downing, Jenas, Johnson (both Andy and Glen!), Knight, Smith, and Young were all populating the England squad. And Phillip Neville!

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/seas2000-10/2004-05/M0827USA2005PreEng.html

Worry not. England are in France next year, and that is all that matters.

What, worse than this squad?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 10:54

Anyway all the best for you guys this weekend

I cheer on all home nations and with us being the Number 1 ranked team in the British Isles I know you will all be cheering us on as well

Good luck chaps thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 3 Sep 2015 - 13:01

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I mean ten years ago, SWP, Dawson, Downing, Jenas, Johnson (both Andy and Glen!), Knight, Smith, and Young were all populating the England squad. And Phillip Neville!

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/seas2000-10/2004-05/M0827USA2005PreEng.html

Worry not. England are in France next year, and that is all that matters.

What, worse than this squad?

Yes

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next