The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+53
monty junior
TheCultOfPersonality
spencerclarke
BlueCoverman
Hibbz
VTR
Kay Fabe
Mad for Chelsea
Holymiky
owen10ozzy
MIG
Mat
westisbest
CFCNick
Alistair
Lowlandbrit
Hoggy_Bear
Scottrf
Nico the gman
Hero
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Dr Shoe
Steffan
wheelchair1991
Crimey
Azzy
CaledonianCraig
nadeem2099
jbeadlesbigrighthand
compelling and rich
Nakatomi Plaza
Fernando
Liam
Ent
Mike Selig
LivinginItaly
Good Golly I'm Olly
sportform
TRUSSMAN66
GSC
Roller_Coaster
NickisBHAFC
Hammersmith harrier
Duty281
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
hampo17
Dolphin Ziggler
super_realist
Dave.
mystiroakey
Stella
FootballLight
57 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 14 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by FootballLight Sun 29 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry 24, I'm thinking of the World Cup again.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Oct 2015, 12:49 pm

He's the English Eboue

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Alistair Wed 14 Oct 2015, 12:51 pm

I was trying to make the point that people like McNulty start tossing out these Starting XI's for the Euro's with all this football left to play. There's nothing to say that any of those players i named couldn't go through the form of their lives in the amount of time we have until the first game.

The players i listed are those that IF they were in the form of their lives is the XI you would probably take at the moment. That's not to say that someone like Galloway etc isn't good enough, it's also based on experience.

I don't rate Clyne or Walker, but for me, Walker at the top of his game (however rare it is) is a better RB than Clyne. I don't rate Rooney, never have, but doesn't mean on his day he isn't a great player.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 14 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

Not sure many rate Walker, but to laugh at someone who does is a little immature. Remember he does play for England and Tottenham, so people who know more about Football than us, must see something. Plus, is Clyne that great? Who else? some CB who is asked to play at RB cos the options are limited.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 14 Oct 2015, 12:59 pm

Stella wrote:Not sure many rate Walker, but to laugh at someone who does is a little immature. Remember he does play for England and Tottenham, so people who know more about Football than us, must see something. Plus, is Clyne that great? Who else? some CB who is asked to play at RB cos the options are limited.

He's pacy and attacking, which seems to be the flavour of the month with England at the moment.

We haven't had a decent Right Back since Gary Neville. Plenty have tried, and some have been truly woeful (Mills!).

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 14 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

I wasn't a massive fan of Neville, if I'm being honest :-) Did work well with Beckham going forward but he was a bit of a ball watcher.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Oct 2015, 1:41 pm

Being pacey & attacking is flavour of the month, when you face dire opposition in a qualifying group of utter turd opposition. When the step up arrives at the Euro's, I want a defender who can defend properly & is more able defensively, than offensively, seeing as our full backs won't be involved much in the final third, if we don't have the ball & that will almost certainly be the case against top opposition. Clyne might not be world class, but he's a safer bet than the liability & injury proned Walker, who hasn't done anything of note for about three seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 14 Oct 2015, 2:11 pm

Kyle Walker is sh!te

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Oct 2015, 3:59 pm

I do think we might well see Clyne exposed too. He isnt better than Baines was at the World Cup and Baines didnt look too grand.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:09 pm

Long shot, but what about Richards?

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:45 pm

Jesus, Alistair. No Have a word with yourself.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:50 pm

Calm down, Dolphin.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Jesus, Alistair. No Have a word with yourself.

We're in agreement!

And England have been put into pot 1. That means no Spain/Germany/Portugal in the group, but it could leave the English with another game against Italy.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2293579.html#uefa+euro+2016+draw+pots+take+shape

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

Play 3 at the back and take the problem away.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:52 pm

Alistair wrote:Long shot, but what about Richards?
Even if he had a Welsh grandmother he wouldn't get in the Wales team laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Oct 2015, 5:33 pm

If all seeds win in the playoffs
Pot 1: France, Spain, Germany, England, Portugal, Belgium
Pot 2: Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, Austria, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Pot 3: Ukraine, Czech Republic, Sweden, Poland, Romania, Slovakia
Pot 4: Hungary, Turkey, Iceland, Wales, Albania, Northern Ireland

If this outcome occurs underlined, then the hardest group:

England, Italy, Czech Republic & Wales

Easiest group would be:

England, Bosnia, Romania & Northern Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Oct 2015, 5:42 pm

I'd say anybody in pot 2 could beat us. Pot 3 is a mix of teams with basically one good player, like Lewandowski at Poland & Zlatan at Sweden or Hamsik at Slovakia. I wouldn't want to play Wales from pot 4, it would basically be a PL game & Wales would be motivated to the extreme.

Euro groups are usually easier than WC groups, so given the advantage a top seed has, we should qualify. If we don't, then it's pretty embarrassing.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Oct 2015, 5:42 pm

how are wales in pot 4 when there ranked 8th in the world?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Oct 2015, 5:43 pm

LiamB wrote:I'd say anybody in pot 2 could beat us. Pot 3 is a mix of teams with basically one good player, like Lewandowski at Poland & Zlatan at Sweden or Hamsik at Slovakia. I wouldn't want to play Wales from pot 4, it would basically be a PL game & Wales would be motivated to the extreme.

Euro groups are usually easier than WC groups, so given the advantage a top seed has, we should qualify. If we don't, then it's pretty embarrassing.

massively embarrassing seeing though in quite a few groups the "top 3" qualify under the new format

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Oct 2015, 6:09 pm

Yeah, I've seen that. Basically the group stage is just a 'show' to wittle down the teams that shouldn't of even been allowed to qualify in the first place. Competition won't start until the second stage.

As for Wales in pot 4, it's done by previous performances in other campaigns, where Wales were awful.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Oct 2015, 6:15 pm

fair enough, didnt know that. i just presumed it was off world rankings like the world cup

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Oct 2015, 7:30 pm

We'd be favourites against any team we could face, and only Italy would be a worry for me.

I'd want to avoid Italy, Poland and Wales.

Austria, Ukraine, Albana would be a nice group to get stuck with.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Oct 2015, 7:54 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:We'd be favourites against any team we could face, and only Italy would be a worry for me.

I'd want to avoid Italy, Poland and Wales.

Austria, Ukraine, Albana would be a nice group to get stuck with.

we thought that about usa, algeria and slovenia

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Oct 2015, 9:30 pm

That was bad though. Might as well say that to anything

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 14 Oct 2015, 10:10 pm

If we assume all the seeds win in the play-offs, I'd like England to have a group of Croatia, Poland and Albania. An easy group, or a hard group, would be to England's detriment.

A reasonably challenging group, but one that England know they can conquer through experience, would give England a very decent foundation heading into the knock-out stages.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Thu 15 Oct 2015, 9:45 am

Whilst i think Wales getting to the Euro's is a brilliant achievement, i think the bubble will burst next Summer. 11 goals in a qualifying campaign, where Bale scored 7 of them shows how reliant they are on him. Welbeck had 6 in half the games.

Two backs to the wall performances against Belgium saw them through, but they also struggled to beat Andorra, twice.

I'd quite like them in our Group.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

I wouldn't, for two reasons. One, their increased motivation. The second, they will sit back & counter, with actual quality with Bale, unlike the minnows countering ability, or lack of it, we've faced this campaign. England would have most of the possession & as we already know, struggle to breakdown teams & then run out of ideas.

I think as Duty & Dolph have alluded too, we need a decent winnable group, whereby we face teams who actually come onto us & allow us to use our counter attacking attributes & pace

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:04 pm

Alistair wrote:Whilst i think Wales getting to the Euro's is a brilliant achievement, i think the bubble will burst next Summer. 11 goals in a qualifying campaign, where Bale scored 7 of them shows how reliant they are on him. Welbeck had 6 in half the games.

Two backs to the wall performances against Belgium saw them through, but they also struggled to beat Andorra, twice.

So in other words then...Wales are crap???

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:41 pm

Wales aren't crap, just another decent side, heavily reliant on one game plan of not conceding & hoping Bale produces. Can say the same thing about Zlatan & Sweden, Lewandowski & Poland & to a lesser extent, Ronaldo & Portugal. Wales are just happy to be there & hopefully grab a scalp or two. They didn't even win the qualifying group, recently lost to Bosnia, so it's not like they have been unbeaten for two years or something & are genuine contenders, with a fearsome reputation, that if they fail, a bubble has burst.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm

Alistair wrote:Two backs to the wall performances against Belgium saw them through, but they also struggled to beat Andorra, twice.

You forgot to mention the goal we scored at home against Belgium to win rather than "backs to the wall to see us through"

Not entirely sure how a 2-0 victory which should have been more this week is "struggling to beat Andorra"

I like how you have left out the fact we scored 3 in Israel and only conceded 1 goal at home all tournament though

What a wonderful way you painted our first successful qualification campaign for many years in such a negative light

You should work in politics thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:15 pm

Steffan wrote:
Alistair wrote:Two backs to the wall performances against Belgium saw them through, but they also struggled to beat Andorra, twice.

You forgot to mention the goal we scored at home against Belgium to win rather than "backs to the wall to see us through"

Not entirely sure how a 2-0 victory which should have been more this week is "struggling to beat Andorra"

I like how you have left out the fact we scored 3 in Israel and only conceded 1 goal at home all tournament though

What a wonderful way you painted our first successful qualification campaign for many years in such a negative light

You should work in politics thumbsup

You cleverly ignored when i said it was a brilliant achievement (which it is). You can't deny that you aren't reliant on Bale. Without his goals where would you be?

Yes, you put 3 past Israel, as did Belgium. You conceded 1 at home, but only scored 5. Belgium conceded 2 but scored 17. They put 10 goals past Andorra, whereas Wales only managed 4.

It's not about being negative, it's being realistic. Yes, it's been a superb effort, but at some point it's going to come unstuck.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

I'm not denying that we are limited as a team and have rode our luck a bit but as a nation of 3 million and without even a fully professional football league I would say that is to be expected

We need to build to build on this achievement and make sure it happens more often in future

I'd quite happily have England in our group because no one would give us a chance of winning and you lot would under estimate us as you did in 2011 when you held on to beat us 1-0 at Wembley when we were 114th in the world

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:33 pm

Id hate to have Wales. Theyd play out of their skin, we'd bottle it. Its the script we generally follow with teams like Wales. And whereas usually they are limited with just spirit, this team would have Bale too.

I dont expect much from them, but a kind group in this weird system gives them a chance of qualifying. And I'm sure they're going to enjoy every minute.

Still think Collins should be in the side.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:36 pm

England will always continue to disappoint at major tournaments. I'd like Wales for the sole reason that it provides alternative interest in the tournament having a home nations match.

Remember, those rankings are rubbish, 114th then. 8th now.... Wink

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:31 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-boss-roy-hodgson-calls-6776896

Shoot down our only in form striker Roy that's the spirit.

I'll blow my lid of Rooney starts ahead of Vardy up top in these friendlies
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 10:37 am

Hardly surprising. England/Roy pick players because of form, call them up, then play them in a different position to what they are accomstomed too & then wonder why they don't look as good in this new position.

Roy has also stated, he won't take a player who isn't fit in May. I can tell you now, that promise will be broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

Vardy won't be playing as he has picked up a knock, well he did against Watford apparently. It's amazing how many players pick up injuries right before international games...and not just friendlies anymore but Qualification games too.

Rooney also won't be playing on Friday, which leaves Kane up top on his own, with two wide men likely and I would imagine Barkley in behind.

Regards the isn't fit statement, I couldn't care less...truth be told I would rather he committed to not taking players who have shown absolutely no form at all!

It's sad that when you think ahead to next years Euro squad.. you just know we will see Cahill, Jagielka, Milner, Carrick, Gibbs, Walker all taking up spaces despite the fact they are either too old/slow on the international level or simply have absolutely no form to be in there.

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 12 Nov 2015, 2:52 pm

Vardy may well have a knock. He doesn't seem like the type to cry off for no reason.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:16 pm

I'd go for

GK Hart
RB Clyne
CB Smalling
CB Stones
LB Gibbs
DM Dier
DM Carrick
AM Barkley
AR Sterling
AL Lallana
ST Kane

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:49 pm

England Team: 1 Hart 2 Walker 3 Bertrand 4 Carrick 5 Jones 6 Smalling 7 Lallana 8 Delph 9 Barkley 10 Kane 11 Sterling

Er...yeah. Pleased that Barkley is getting a go. That's about all I have to say on this patchwork England side.

Mind you, the overrated Spanish lot don't look to be too intimidating.

1-0 England then, just like last time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:21 pm

Lallana

Surely we must have somebody better
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm

Phil Jones vs intelligent footballers.

Should be good for a laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:40 pm

Dissapointed Delph is starting ahead of Dier.

Jones starting ahead of Stones is very strange.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:50 pm

Hart ahead of butland in a meaningless friendly also bizarre.

Butland has earnt a berth this season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:17 pm

Barkley, that was awful

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:18 pm

Olly wrote:Lallana

Surely we must have somebody better

Is the Kyle walker/Adam lallana right hand side the most depressing of modern times?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:22 pm

Yes, depressing

Barkley's final ball or decision making just isn't good enough for a counter attacking side that gets few chances. We're getting dominated, but Spain showing why they are in a transition period too.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:24 pm

Men vs Boys stuff at the moment;....Delph?...Walker?...Lallana? Little football or no form and in the XI. We have a midfield of 5 against a midfield of 3...yet are being overun..such depressing stuff. The positive is....it shows the idiots who have got ahead of themselves during qualifying that we are a long long long way off competing against the top tier teams (and this is a faded one still finding its feet in transition)

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:31 pm

Walker, Bertrand, Lallana, Carrick, and (to an extent) Sterling all predictably poor.

And yet, this cobbled-together English side, missing several players and hampered by a biased referee, still look the most likely to score.

One good counter-attack and England will take this, as Spain are being stifled by good off-the-ball by the visitors. Otherwise, 0-0.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:32 pm

Well England were far from exciting but far from outclassed either. Had the better chances in the half. Spain passed it, but haven't really penetrated enough.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:36 pm

Much improved in the final 15 mins of that half....looked a little more dangerous. As much as this as a patch England team (although I myself don't think it's too far off what we will see next year), the same can be said for Spain.

Big problem we have is that if we take the lead we can't take the game under control because in possession we are so so poor. So even when we lead the game never looks over & that's a big concern.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next