The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

+63
doctor_grey
pledgeX
DaveM
Hood83
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
Cyril
BigTrevsbigmac
Moorsman
Cumbrian
Margin_Walker
exileray
bluestonevedder
ScarletSpiderman
HongKongCherry
thespreys
BamBam
No 7&1/2
sirtidychris
thomh
HammerofThunor
beshocked
jimbopip
Golden
21st Century Schizoid Man
broadlandboy
demosthenes
Seagultaf
Fanster
dragon4life
BigGee
rodders
Notch
Majestic83
sad_gimp
rosbif
Sgt_Pooly
nathan
B91212
The Saint
Bathite
lostinwales
InjuredYetAgain
propdavid_london
SirBurger
king_carlos
Driver
sunburyboy
Ozzy3213
Welly
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
shuren34
RDW
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
George Carlin
67 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 10 Empty Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by George Carlin Tue 14 Apr 2015, 7:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Continuation of the previous thread from the esteemed Mister GeordieFalcon:
https://www.606v2.com/t57129-silly-season-transfer-rumours
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 10 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by exileray Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:59 pm

that must mean that irish are in for another prop as we have only signed one prop and that of course is ben franks but with another going out one would assume another will be coming in.

ray.

exileray

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 10 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by Margin_Walker Wed 15 Jul 2015, 7:12 pm

No, we should be fine. Were operating without Hagan anyway.

TH
Cross
Aulika
Halavatau
Palframan

LH
Franks (can also play TH)
Court
Smallbone
Harris (Guessing he is still on the books)

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 16 Jul 2015, 9:59 am

We've also got the new academy guy from Loughborough so it is two in two out.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by exileray Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:36 pm

a bit more quality on the L/h side would be good in my opinion.

exileray

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 17 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm

exileray wrote:a bit more quality on the L/h side would be good in my opinion.

Possibly, but Court and Franks is pretty strong and I think the coaching staff rate Smallbone very highly. I also suspect that Halavatau is being encouraged to play both sides moving forwards. We seem to have toyed with that idea in pre-season for quite a few consecutive years but then it never really comes to fruition.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 17 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

We're talking to M Botha apparently, looking to bolster our locks

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Jul 2015, 4:46 pm

Will Witty not ready for the first team quite yet or as RWC cover?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 17 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

Possibly not Sam.

We are quite bare during the WC weeks with only MacLeod, Witty & Green with AP experience.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

Botha?????

Tell me your feckin joking!

Calum Green, Will Witty, Robinson, Youngs, Kolo'ufai (If he can stay fit), Scott MaCleod player coach. Even Furno and Thompson wont be in the WC long.

Bad call.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:39 am

Mean while Rory Clegg confirmed to Glasgow...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:04 pm

Botha is an excellent signing for Falcons IMO.

He adds grunt behind let's be honest a lacklustre front row.

A work horse.

It's alright naming youngster but behind a not top notch front row it can be unfair to ask 2 of them to help out.

A Botha next to a green etc takes of the heavy duty load for a bit.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

We've signed 4 props (2 ints) to backup our front row Welly, it's a little early to be suggesting we have "lacklustre front row".

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 1:42 pm

Welly wrote: Botha is an excellent signing for Falcons IMO.

He adds grunt behind let's be honest a lacklustre front row.

A work horse.

It's alright naming youngster but behind a not top notch front row it can be unfair to ask 2 of them to help out.

A Botha next to a green etc takes of the heavy duty load for a bit.

I don't see him as a "grunt man". He's a workhorse, but Witty is more than ready to fill in. As is Robinson. And we have Scott Macleod still here as well who is now player coach and a cracking player to bring in temporarily if he's needed.

And as Sgt said, our front row has changed quite considerably and I expect us to be a different proposition in that area this season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:11 pm

People on rugby network saying that the rugby paper says that Saracens are signing Brian Tuilagi from Newcastle. Of course it's just a rumour at the moment but is he any good?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

beshocked wrote:People on rugby network saying that the rugby paper says that Saracens are signing Brian Tuilagi from Newcastle. Of course it's just a rumour at the moment but is he any good?

No.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:15 pm

As Burger, not at all

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm

Brian Tuilagi has signed for Sarries. But he's not a top level player.

Does make you wonder ....Manu's contract is up soon??? Is that part of the leverage?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:45 pm

Brian is not great, but his dad is of course Uncle Manu's agent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Brian Tuilagi has signed for Sarries. But he's not a top level player.

Does make you wonder ....Manu's contract is up soon??? Is that part of the leverage?

The Vunipola method!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

A few years ago there was this rush for League players in the faint hope that they would be the new Jason Robinson. Nowadays we have the same thing only with players with the surname 'Tuilagi'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:29 pm

Im pretty sure its how we got Alex Tuilagi...because we signed Andy as part of the deal.

Surely Sarries wouldn't be brash enough to go for Manu? And surely Leicester would offer Manu anything to stay?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:53 pm

Laugh Ashton and Manu in the same club backline? Couldn't make it up if it happened.....

I still think it's unlikely Manu would leave Leicester for Sarries.

The Vunipola bros situation was slightly different as Mako was at the club in 2011 and Billy joined in 2013.

The Tuilagis don't have any connection with Saracens. I would like it if Manu did come to Sarries but I think it's a long shot.

I remember the rumours surrounding the likes of Launchbury and Cole coming to Sarries but they never came to fruition.

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/22263/if-manu-tuilagi-needs-a-bodyguard-on-a-night-out-he-just-has-to-ask-says-billy-vunipola/

Sounds like Billy is a friend of Manu's though:

The Saracens No.8 told The Rugby Paper: “Manu and I are from similar backgrounds so I’ll support whatever he does as a friend. People say he should never play for England again, but he’s been out for virtually a whole year and all he wants to do is play rugby.

“A lot of people are giving him a hard time, but they need to cut him some slack. I don’t drink, but my brother Mako does and I’ve had to look after him and keep him out of trouble at times, so we’re lucky to have each other because it could have been us.

“With Manu, though, there’s probably been a bit of frustration with him being injured for so long and it just boils over a bit. He’s seeing people like Jonathan Joseph come into the England team and get all the plaudits and there’s nothing he can do.

“But look, what’s happened has happened, I’m sure he regrets it, but we know he’s a world-class player who Stuart was desperate to have in his squad. Stuart had to do the right thing and I know it’s a tough time for Manu, but he’ll come back firing.

“I dropped him a text after it all unravelled and he’s all right now, but if he ever needs a little bodyguard to look after him on a night out, he only has to ask. He’s just got to get his injury right and do his thing, and then everything will blow over.”

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:57 pm

Saracens would have to break the cap to get him IMO.

And they certainly wouldn't do that ............ Oh wait!

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:04 pm

But surely it looks like Sarries are trying it.

After all .....why sign Brian...who is never going to make it as a premier league rugby player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:13 pm

Shocked "a little bodyguard" - Billy Vunipola

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:15 pm

I don't know perhaps they think Brian might have a chance?

Maybe they don't have any number 8/6 coming up as the same age as him?

It not like Manu is the only Tuialgi @ Leicester.

Freddie Snr is based in Leicester and Freddie Jnr is in the academy (at Hooker).

So it isn't like Manu is all alone.

Alex didn't follow Henry and Andy for example.

We then have a Samoan background still about with Mulipola, Sio and also Jacob Umaga (Tana nephew and Mikes son in the academy)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:21 pm

French press reporting Manu has agreed a verbal extension with Leicester (that is French press can be trusted)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

Must be as a sweetener to get Manu because Saracens have a lot of backrowers. Quite a lot can cover more than one position too!

K.Brown, Jacques Burger, Billy Vunipola
Maro Itoje, Will Fraser, Samuela Vunisa
Jackson Wray, Nic De Jager, Ernst Joubert
Matt Hankin, Michael Rhodes, Joel Conlon and Hayden Thompson Stringer

Hankin,Conlon,Thompson Stringer - all ex England U20s too.

Saracens have signed 3 backrowers already - Joel Conlon, Samuela Vunisa (Italian backrower) and Michael Rhodes though Joel Conlon is going to play for Bedford on loan.

Vunisa could well be a big hit.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

Pretty poor sweetener then IMO and a bit naive from Saracens.

As said he has a nephew here and a uncle here.

If he goes I doubt it will have anything to do with Brian.

Now there might want to use Freddie Snr contacts in Samoa and the PI's like Leicester has with Mulipola and Sio etc. Etc

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

Welly I don't know why they would sign Brian Tuilagi but it's certainly not to fill in any lack of depth in the backrow IMO!

I personally think Saracens have the strongest backrow in the AP. Maybe they feel that they can turn Brian into a more effective player than Newcastle have.

Just speculation I guess. Not even sure if Brian is going to Sarries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

You could be right Beshocked, maybe Manu just wants to be at a top club and having Brian there will help smooth the transition?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

Bad Sgt.

Brown, Burger and Joubert aren't getting any younger. Might just be a punt with Brian. They might be able to get something out of him or they may not but a one year deal doesn't cost them a lot and they could be willing to gamble.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 5:50 pm

Haha.... Wink

In all honesty, Saracens are a more attractive team than Leicester currently imo. Maybe Manu fancies competing for trophies etc?!??

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Jul 2015, 7:55 pm

With a team decimated by injuries we still finished third and beat Toulon in the HEC. Still got the best tight five in the AP and this season we actually have a backs coach whom when he was last here helped shape the Tigers 2009 back line and mentor some young centres called Allen, Twelvetrees and Tuilagi.

Complete overhaul behind the scenes with the academy completely reshaped and two new senior coaches. Different Tigers coming this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm

Still, Sarries more likely to win something next season. Just depends on whether you wantr to be part of RoboGym

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:15 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Still, Sarries more likely to win something next season. Just depends on whether you wantr to be part of RoboGym

But Manu def ain't going anywhere next season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 7:41 am

I wouldn't be so sure.

Sarries have a winning culture and regularly challenge for silverware in the latter stages of the HC and AP. It was enough for JJ to leave Quins, Ashton/Saints and Billy V/Wasps....I can't see Tigers keeping hold of Manu if he decides he want to win things.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:06 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I wouldn't be so sure.

Sarries have a winning culture and regularly challenge for silverware in the latter stages of the HC and AP. It was enough for JJ to leave Quins, Ashton/Saints and Billy V/Wasps....I can't see Tigers keeping hold of Manu if he decides he want to win things.

I am sure as he is in contract next season (2015/16) and Tigers have said they are not selling him. (If they do it will make the money we wanted for Castro look very small).

Sarries have made a move on plenty of our players in the past so I'm sure Cohen and co knows there tricks.

I think if Mauger clicks we will be fine next season our Pack IMO is stronger next season (O'Connor v Salvi the main thing that will be looked at but he had a great season for the blues).

Also great to see Young Catchpole moved up to senior squad along with Samoan prop youngster Sio.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:40 am

Mind you we are making a play on Nadolo next season so Manu going wouldn't be end of world Wink

We have Goneva and Bai both Fijian team mates and friends, we have signed Betham who is also a friend and also McCaffrey who was a roommate of his back in Aus When at Waratahs.

And Mauger has gotten the best out of him.

Would he leave Crusaders who knows BUT he wants to play 12 like he does for Fiji and Crusaders are only using him on the wing.

I expect our team to look like this for the 2016/17 season:

1) Ayerza, 2) Youngs, 3) Cole
4) Slater, 5) Kitchener
6) Williams, 7) O'Connor, 8) Pearce
9) Youngs, 10) Williams
12) Nadolo, 13) Manu
11) Betham, 14) Thompstone, 15) Dagg

16) Leo G, 17) Mulipola, 18) Balmain
19) Fitzgerald/Barrow, 20) Fonua/Beckett/Milne
21) Harrison, 22) Burns/Bryant, 23) Goneva/Tait

Now I only have to wake up.

Although I am worried about Youngs leaving heard Bath are after him.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:48 am

Ben or Tom?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:49 am

Ben can't see Tom Youngs leaving TBH he is on a good salary and loves Leicester and quite humble.

Ben I reckon is more likely to chase the money.

Although Harrison after last season looks like he could directly replace Youngs TBh if it did happen.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:52 am

Nadolo is a good player, not sure of him at centre.

6) Williams, 7) O'Connor, 8) Pearce

I don't think that's a great backrow.

Harrison has looked really good recently, I wouldn't be massively disappointed if B Youngs left if I was a Tigers fan.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

Ben Youngs is very underrated now he's not making flashy breaks as often. He's a well rounded scrum half and it would be a real shame to see him go. Youngs and Harrison are good options for us and are both local lads. Ben is getting married this summer so is pretty settled.

Our entire front row signed new contracts last season so there's no chance Tom is going anywhere.

Cohen previously stated he'd only accept a million to buy out Manu's contract as that would be the cost of a like for like replacement.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 8:58 am

O'Connor is wait and see but has looked good.

Williams is a monster 6 type player who is a tackling machine as Mulipola found out.

Pearce IMO will be pushing for the England shirt in 2 seasons time the guy has huge potential IMO.

I haven't seen many players bounce Barritt like Pearce did trouble is he is very Raw ATM BUT another season under his belt and he should be one to watch his rugby league experience shows in his offloads, he is extremely big and also very quick. A full season fit and him learning the smaller details of 8 and he could be excellent.

IMO he could be a massive player in the future.

RE Nadolo if he you only go on super rugby form I agree but his international form @ 12 shows he is actually very very good there, Anyway he prob won't end up at us.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:03 am

None of those are near Int recognition though Welly, it's not a great backrow from an outsiders view.

Pearce is a long way from a England jersey with Vuinipola, Morgan, Hughes (next season) all very good players. You the have Beaumont, Ewers etc.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:08 am

I keep forgetting you have Fonau, I really rate him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:21 am

Fonua will be starter next season from what I have heard he is doing well in preseason.

If all fit our backrow would look like this next season

6) Croft, 7) O'Connor, 8) Fonua.

That was going on the season after, of course Pearce isn't near international yet he still has a lot to learn. Same with Williams.

I suppose I have watched a lot of those players when I can since they were announced as coming/signed but I do see potentially our most balanced back row we have had for a while with those 3.

Although it will happen will be peed if Hughes is selected for England. Ewers to me is a 6 not an 8 and why he isn't in England shirt now I do not know. Beaumont is also one to watch and adds a different type of 8 to the ones England have already.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:35 am

Where has Nadolo said he wants to play 12 and not on the wing?

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:45 am

Croft?

That's an interesting call. He needs to stay fit first....but I guess in a seriously bulked up pack that you should have out he could be useful. But is he the player he was.

If he doesn't have that athleticism around the park anymore then he's a wasted spot if you ask me. Better off putting heavy duty at 6.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:47 am

Welly wrote: Fonua will be starter next season from what I have heard he is doing well in preseason.

If all fit our backrow would look like this next season

6) Croft, 7) O'Connor, 8) Fonua.

That was going on the season after, of course Pearce isn't near international yet he still has a lot to learn. Same with Williams.

I suppose I have watched a lot of those players when I can since they were announced as coming/signed but I do see potentially our most balanced back row we have had for a while with those 3.

Although it will happen will be peed if Hughes is selected for England. Ewers to me is a 6 not an 8 and why he isn't in England shirt now I do not know. Beaumont is also one to watch and adds a different type of 8 to the ones England have already.

100% agree. Ill be MASSIVELY Peed off if Hughes is in an England shirt.

And Ewers should be in the England squad. The fact he's not highlights that Lancaster often fecks up his selections policy quite considerably!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next