The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live fight thread

+50
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
sittingringside
Happytravelling
88Chris05
Lance
Mayweathers cellmate
Scottrf
Rowley
Derbymanc
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Sugar Boy Sweetie
tunes666
Rodney
Mr Bounce
Duty281
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
wheelchair1991
Fernando
B.A. BARACUS
horizontalhero
ShahenshahG
3fingers
Guest82
RanjitPatel
Atila
Ent
AlexHuckerby
owen10ozzy
hogey
Valero's Conscience
catchweight
JabMachineMK2
compelling and rich
Coxy001
Haito
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
CaledonianCraig
Gentleman01
Brys
hampo17
Stella
BoxingFan88
Dolphin Ziggler
Silver
mobilemaster8
kingraf
milkyboy
54 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Live fight thread - Page 3 Empty Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun 03 May 2015, 4:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently there's a fight on tonight and JBW needs a thread to talk to himself on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Ent Sun 03 May 2015, 6:46 am

If you think it was close/manny won; ask yourself this question - is there an appetite for a rematch?

The answer is no and it tells you everything about tonight's fight.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 03 May 2015, 6:48 am

milkyboy wrote:Agree... They can't all be Leonard hagler Wink
There you go, starting s#*t again.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 6:50 am

We're only onto two pages now, Milky. Matthyse-Provodnikov had a livelier fight thread. As did Brook-Porter.

Bit of an anti-climax, but I think it's better it was a dull fight with a clear enough winner for the masses. A Froch-Groves II type ending would have seen $100 PPVs become the norm (bit like how Froch Groves II made juicy punnets the norm). Don't mind a 116-112 card.Think I expressly said I gave Manny the second on workrate (genuinely can't remember what Floyd did that round), so if you flip that, and give the eleventh which I scored 10-10 as a Floyd round, it's 115-113 on my card. Hardly an earth shattering chasm from the 116-112 which seems standard. Then again a swap of the 2nd and tenth on standard goes 114-114. So, I'm pretty satisfied with my scoring.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 6:51 am

The only people who think that fight was close are those who wanted Pacquiao to win and for some reason expected something other than a slow dull fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 03 May 2015, 6:54 am

9-3 Floyd for me, very easy. Pacquaio didn't really turn up or wasn't allowed to due to lateral movement and accurate countering.

Could possibly give Pacquaio another round but that's it. Anyone who scored that for Pacquaio must have just been watching him.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 6:56 am

Meant flip the second and the eleventh, nothing the tenth.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 03 May 2015, 7:01 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The only people who think that fight was close are those who wanted Pacquiao to win and for some reason expected something other than a slow dull fight.

That doesn't describe me, I didn't care who won. I had it a draw but if pressed I would've said Mayweather had the better of it.

Not a runaway win by any means though. As said, 116-112 seems fair enough.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 03 May 2015, 7:05 am

Atila wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Agree... They can't all be Leonard hagler Wink
There you go, starting s#*t again.

That's me, always there with an offensive, hostile comment

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 7:05 am

You did however bet on Pacquiao to win so undoubtedly wanted him to win.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 03 May 2015, 7:09 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You did however bet on Pacquiao to win so undoubtedly wanted him to win.

Nah, I just went with the good odds.

I also opted for Mayweather MD in hampo's pool thread.

So you are incorrect when it comes to me, but you could well be right about others. It was one of those fights where, as kingraf says, if you score a few close rounds one way then it becomes a landslide on the cards.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 03 May 2015, 7:12 am

kingraf wrote:We're only onto two pages now, Milky. Matthyse-Provodnikov had a livelier fight thread. As did Brook-Porter.

When i had to start a thread after the ringwalks I figured it was going to be low key. Sorely missed jbw discussing eating his toe nail clippings etc,

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 7:12 am

Lol

Everybody who doesn't agree with you has an agenda?

Looking back on my card. Had Floyd four down after six (consensus was 4-2 down?), credit from there, by my card, he only expressly lost one round 10-9. So guess even on my card he figured Manny out.

Still, like I said, boring fight. And considering it went head to head with a basketball game seven that was decided with less than a minute to go, not the required.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 03 May 2015, 7:13 am

You don't understand silver. You have to be a floyd lover or hater. No room here for objective opinion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 7:19 am

kingraf wrote:Lol

Everybody who doesn't agree with you has an agenda?

Looking back on my card. Had Floyd four down after six (consensus was 4-2 down?), credit from there, by my card, he only expressly lost one round 10-9. So guess even on my card he figured Manny out.

Still, like I said, boring fight. And considering it went head to head with a basketball game seven that was decided with less than a minute to go, not the required.

The consensus had Mayweather clearly winning the whole fight Raf, it was not close in the slightest and can't quite believe anyone is trying to make a case for a Pacquiao victory. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th were all Mayweather rounds, he landed more in each round and controlled the pace in each round, combine those two together and there is no way Pacquiao can win those rounds.

I would say anybody calling that fight close either has an agenda or doesn't have a clue how to scored a fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 03 May 2015, 7:21 am

milkyboy wrote:You don't understand silver. You have to be a floyd lover or hater. No room here for objective opinion.

Apparently so!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 7:23 am

Bad left hook generally get their scores there or thereabouts and they went 115-113 Pacquiao.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 03 May 2015, 7:25 am

I've just seen the cards in detail. 116-112 were both identical, giving 4, 6, 9 and 10 to Pac.

118-110 only gave him 4 and 6. Here's the link.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 7:32 am

I'll treat that score with the disdain it deserves, had a fairly in depth scour through Twitter and the overwhelming consensus is that Mayweather won easily, hell HBO had it clear and Pacquiao fights on their channel.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 7:34 am

Good for you?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 03 May 2015, 7:39 am

Manny claiming shoulder injury two/three weeks before the fight now...

I thought scorecards were about right. Clear Mayweather victory.

Manny not being too graceful in defeat.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 03 May 2015, 7:41 am

I thought pac would dominate early but mayweather didn't allow that to happen. He held the centre of the ring and didnt allow manny any success to build upon. He caught Manny coming in and made manny consider his approach...It was then game over. Manny over thought his plan to close the distance and went into his she'll.  Manny ' s only success was about 6 combinations through the full fight. 

Complete shutout.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 03 May 2015, 7:42 am

Authoritative use of the jab in the mid rounds and great movement to close the show late.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sun 03 May 2015, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 03 May 2015, 7:45 am

Not watched it but still found myself eager to get up and find out what happened. My younger brother went to the sheesha bar and spent 60 for the privileg And is currently passed out on the sofa. Not going to bother with the scores but it does sound like Mayweather did what he was expected to do and went a bit further in eliminating all risk entirely. Manny going down the alvarez route. Let's try to outbox a better boxer than me and boxing ppv let everyone down again. All in all a typical may weekend

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 03 May 2015, 7:57 am

Anyway I'm off to play some cricket. Reckon this weekend did some serious damage to my prediction league standing.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sun 03 May 2015, 8:05 am

I had it seven to four with one even. good performance from Floyd, but disappointing fight really, amazing that such a boring , unpopular boxer has managed to make so much money.
I was surprised just how bad a reception FMJ got- roundly booed in his home town.
Can't see that there's much left for Pacquaio now, or Floyd really- is anyone really that bothered to see him in with Khan or anyone else for that matter?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 03 May 2015, 8:56 am

Freddie roach thought they did enough to win but admitted that Manny looked flat footed and that he wanted him to throw more combinations.

Sums up my feelings, thought Mayweather won but not as clearly as some have suggested.

It's hard to score heavily in favour of a fighter who is in a defensive shell most of the time and refusing to engage for large periods of each round.

Yes he landed the cleaner shots but not enough to win as conclusively as some are claiming.

Manny was the aggressor as expected but nowhere near as effective as he used to be. He seemed to be trying to box his way in initially and when that failed, resorted to lunging.

Had Manny thrown the volume of punches we are used to seeing from him the result could have been in dispute.

Admittedly Mayweather's defensive wizardry and movement stopped him from exerting his usual pressure.

Mayweather did what he had to do and probably thanked his lucky stars afterwards that the Manny who dominated Cotto, Hatton, Margarito etc is now a distant memory.

I don't buy into the shoulder injury excuse, Manny seemed to have no trouble unleashing his flurries on the rare occasions Mayweather was a stationery target on the ropes.

He was beat by the better fighter but due to his own lacklustre performance it can be argued that Manny lost the fight just as much as Floyd won it.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 03 May 2015, 8:58 am

Guest82 wrote:Manny claiming shoulder injury two/three weeks before the fight now...

I thought scorecards were about right. Clear Mayweather victory.

Manny not being too graceful in defeat.
I saw this too. I think Manny and Arum look bad using the shoulder excuse. Especially when you consider that Manny is supposed to be such a humble and honest man and there he is at the press conference already coming out with excuses.

Also, it basically means that Manny, Roach and Arum are a bunch of liars and con artists. For months they've been telling us how Manny was going to win and Roach was saying that Manny was going to win every round, and all the time they apparently knew that Manny was going into a big fight carrying an injury that would hamper his chances against Floyd.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 May 2015, 9:11 am

Apparently it was a shoulder tear & was denied a pain relief injection which the Nevada state board denied

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 03 May 2015, 9:13 am

So manny, roach and arum are claiming an injury, i think this looks massively bad on them

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 May 2015, 9:24 am

If they have proof of injury considering he had an MRI shouldn't be an issue then not that bad really. Otherwise it looks bad

Was going to watch it today but doesn't seem worth it from what ive heard here.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 9:28 am

Considering nothing was disclosed at the medical Nando and that is the reason why the anti-inflammatory shot was denied then it does look like an excuse.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 May 2015, 9:38 am

Ah that's fair enough then Ok! You would of thought if someone is asking for a jab there is something wrong and pressed further though that just seems common sense really Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 03 May 2015, 9:52 am

8-4 Floyd. Sky were terrible. As predicted 'Mayweather Masterclass' was uttered as early as the first round.

Undeniably good performance from Floyd though. Clear winner.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 03 May 2015, 10:00 am

The most predictable fight in a long time.

I haven't stopped shaking my head in amazement at getting evens on Mayweather to win by decision.

Oh and Pacman is a sore loser.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 03 May 2015, 10:08 am

Has D4 exploded yet???

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 10:09 am

kingraf wrote:Bad left hook generally get their scores there or thereabouts and they went 115-113 Pacquiao.

If you gave Manny that fight then you must have been watching a different fight.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 03 May 2015, 10:14 am

Manny should've got Mo Farrah as his sparring partner ! Dreadful fight.

Cheers , rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 10:22 am

Since when did fighting in the pocket constitute running?

I understand that people don't like Mayweather but he has been given zero credit for winning, a few of you need to have some humility and appreciate the skills he undeniably has.

The fight was never going to be exciting and the moment Mayweather had complete control of the centre of the ring the fight was effectively over. It's almost as if he would have to be Arturo Gatti to get any credit, hit without getting hit is the aim of the game.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 10:26 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Has D4 exploded yet???

Na he's claiming Manny was past it, Floyd wasn't. If they fought 5 years ago Manny still gets owned.

I enjoyed the fight. Boxing masterclass. Still perplexed how anyone had it for Manny, no one is screaming robbery and no one is screaming rematch such was the wide gulf in class and thus scoring.

Manny was generally chasing shadows all night and seldom landed much of note.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 03 May 2015, 10:34 am

Did not watch it Smile

Result as expected... Some of the top guys out there now would probably beat them both... Including Khan, Thurman, and Brook..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 May 2015, 10:40 am

Had it floyd by five rounds, he barely got out of second gear, compared to previous fights & he easily controlled manny's slow attacks & countered all night long. whoever thought manny won the fight or thought it was close, must be just drunk football fans who don't understand boxing or how you score in a round. Total delusion.

as for the injury, pretty poor excuse. manny still looked slow & flat footed to me, even predictable for floyd, in fact, it was an easy nights work in all honesty. Manny claiming it was close & Bob arum are just trying to push it towards a lucrative rematch, however, I don't think anybody wants it, such was the snore fest this was. As de la Hoya tweeted, it was a disappointing night for the pinnacle of boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 03 May 2015, 10:49 am

So if you had it close you wanted Floyd to lose? Check my predictions, I had a Mayweather SD in the prediction league and a draw in the pool I did. So that is incorrect.

It's easy to see why some had this close, people need to stop acting holier than thou because it gets boring bloody quickly.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 11:40 am

You'd be better off getting all high and mighty with your commentary partner, scoring that fight 116-112 to Pacquiao and then accusing others of ignorance shows how little he really knows.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 11:55 am

I think the big clue is if you watch the boxers reaction at the final bell. As soon as it rung Mayeeather's arms confidently went up. I watched Pacquiao and nothing but a resigned smile and then seconds later after seeing Mayweather put his arms up he did so as well accept without belief. Also waiting for result he cut a dejected figure whilst all the hugs and back slaps were in the Msyweather corner. Says it all for me. All the pundits (some had backed Manny) had Mayweather a clear winner as did the celebrities exiting the fight. I wanted Manny to win but I am realistic enough to realise he lost that quite comfortably.

As for the pre-fight hype for me this fight fell flat. I have seen much better fights than this and many containing British boxers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 11:58 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You'd be better off getting all high and mighty with your commentary partner, scoring that fight 116-112 to Pacquiao and then accusing others of ignorance shows how little he really knows.

One of the v2 commentary team had it 8-4 to Manny...?!

You're kidding us right?!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 03 May 2015, 12:01 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You'd be better off getting all high and mighty with your commentary partner, scoring that fight 116-112 to Pacquiao and then accusing others of ignorance shows how little he really knows.

116-112 to Manny?! That is beyond comprehension. 

Mayweather nullified Mannys strengths and hit without being hit, the stats back up his dominance. I had it 117-111 Mayweather. Mannys failure to win any of the first three rounds set the tone for the fight, he needed to be busy early and establish a lead to draw Floyd out. Instead he lost 4 of the first 5 and it was game over. He took two solid rights in the first which made him cautious. Mayweather isn't to everyone's taste in or out of the ring but he controlled the pace and range of that fight with ease, to the point where manny threw less punches than him and wound up with only a 19% success rate. 

Manny has been poor in defeat; no credit for his opponent, claiming he won when clearly he didn't and throwing out an undeclared injury as an excuse - echoes of David Haye and disappointing from manny. He lost to Mayweather for one reason and one reason only: because Mayweather is a vastly superior boxer. 

Think manny will have one more bout, probably in Macau or somewhere like that. I'd like to have seen Mayweather keep his titles and fight Brook in his last fight for full unification but that's not to be. At least after 5 long years May Pac is done and was the anticlimax most of us expected it would be! Hopefully boxing can move on now.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 03 May 2015, 12:19 pm

Floyd just looked so much bigger physically, looked to dwarf manny and helped him keep it at range

I cant see how anyone can have it close tbf, manny was getting caught coming in most of the time and Floyd took most of mannys flurries without too much difficulty. 117-111 for me and easy fight to score.

I think that the next line of welterweights like Thurman, Brook etc should be looking at manny, dont think hes the welterweight of old

Not sure if anyone can challenge floyd at 147 tbf. I think that at 154 Canelo (i know but think he still has a shot), Lara, Andrade and GGG can trouble him but i cant see him fighting any of them. Maybe khan, floyd showed he doesnt care an awful lot for handspeed, but youd like to think khan would throw more combos than manny and use his height a bit more

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 03 May 2015, 12:26 pm

I had Mayweather by 2 rounds and seemingly am the only one that enjoyed it Smile Thought Manny could have done a bit more as he seemed to have a little success when he raided.

The shoulder excuse is just an excuse and he's probably grabbed it from one of the many that a certain idiot will be spewing for the next year.

Got no appetite for a rematch and actually went to sleep during the LSC match. Jiminez got battered (my predictions were pants this week), Pearce looked pants and couldn't hit anything but Lomanchenko's bout was a good fight just to see a bit of a spectacle

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 03 May 2015, 12:26 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Has D4 exploded yet???

His local authority are providing 24 hour round the clock suicide watch care and his mummy has removed all sharp objects and crayons from his room. If we're all vigilant he'll get through this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 12:33 pm

His list of excuses so far include.

1. Blood testing left Pacquiao drained
2. Bayless should have deducted points from Mayweather as early as the second
3. Mayweather is too big and Pacquiao is in fact nothing more than a lightweight
4. The commission should have allowed him to have a pain killing injection
5. The apparent shoulder injury was the reason he didn't throw more
6. The result doesn't matter because Mayweather should fight Kovalev to prove he's better
7. Pacquiao is past it and Mayweather is as good as he ever was

The last one I find odd seeing as he used to spend hour after hour telling us he was rubbish anyway so he must still be rubbish.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next