The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live fight thread

+50
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
sittingringside
Happytravelling
88Chris05
Lance
Mayweathers cellmate
Scottrf
Rowley
Derbymanc
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Sugar Boy Sweetie
tunes666
Rodney
Mr Bounce
Duty281
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
wheelchair1991
Fernando
B.A. BARACUS
horizontalhero
ShahenshahG
3fingers
Guest82
RanjitPatel
Atila
Ent
AlexHuckerby
owen10ozzy
hogey
Valero's Conscience
catchweight
JabMachineMK2
compelling and rich
Coxy001
Haito
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
CaledonianCraig
Gentleman01
Brys
hampo17
Stella
BoxingFan88
Dolphin Ziggler
Silver
mobilemaster8
kingraf
milkyboy
54 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Live fight thread - Page 6 Empty Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun 03 May 2015, 4:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently there's a fight on tonight and JBW needs a thread to talk to himself on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by 3fingers Sun 03 May 2015, 7:43 pm

Watching the fight back. 1:55 left of the 6th round and Mayweather catches manny with the exact check hook he caught Hatton with, and in the same corner. Manny a head misses the post by an inch. Mayweather has hardly missed a lead right up to this point. I really don't understand people saying he didn't land. Every punch he catches manny with he feels it. He looks scared and is looking to ref at every opportunity.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 03 May 2015, 7:45 pm

I think he felt the right early doors and the marquez scars came flooding back.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 03 May 2015, 7:56 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:So all the boxers who've fought entertaining styles, who've attacked and have taken punishment and now can't string a sentence together, struggle with numerous health issues, do you spare them a thought because they entertained the fans?

Look you have your favourite types of boxers and I have mines and nothing will change that. It is the same in any sports - you have a varying type of players/teams that employ their own tactics. I find Mayweather's akin to those football teams that play an away fixture and aim for a 0-0 shut out. They are doing what it takes to get a result in the tie which is understandable but as for making for an entertaining brand it fails big time. You say boxing isn't about entertainment? For the boxers - no it isn't. However, for the spectators of course it is otherwise why bother with the fight and just run the boxers stats through a computer and let the computer decide who wins the bouts. So it is about entertainment for those that pay the boxer's wages.

Nobodies trying to get you to become a Mayweather fan though. You were the one who initially said he isn't an ATG because he doesn't entertain you, which has no impact on being an ATG at all, and earlier from your posts it was as if you feel the fighters owe it to the fans to entertain. If anybody parted with any money for this fight expecting Mayweather to come out and attack then they are a clueless mug.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 7:57 pm

[quote="catchweight"]The punch stats are not reflection of who wanted to do the fighting. Pacquaio was quite clearly the aggressor in the fight and spent most of it chasing Mayweather around the ring try to pin him down. [/quote

And he Frak lost and lost by a mile!!!!!!

Deal with it!! Christ alive...

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 May 2015, 8:00 pm

Caledonian is falling into the trap of thinking all Boxing fans want the same thing.....

Floyd earns millions for a reason..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 03 May 2015, 8:01 pm

I scored the fight for Mayweather, its the guys determined to jam a Mayweather masterclass or agrressive performance down everyones throats that need to chill out. I guess some people are never happy.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 May 2015, 8:03 pm

Some people are never happy Catchy you're right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 03 May 2015, 8:04 pm

Seems to be a feature of the Mayweather fan alright....

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 8:14 pm

catchweight wrote:I scored the fight for Mayweather, its the guys determined to jam a Mayweather masterclass or agrressive performance down everyones throats that need to chill out. I guess some people are never happy.

For me to negate someone as good as Manny, whilst barely breaking a sweat, is a masterclass.

Manny has destroyed everyone, Marquez inc save for 'that' punch, for the last 10 years. He simply had no answer, he lost by a mile and you don't beat a top 25 Atg fighter by that margin in second gear without it being a performance of the highest order.

Second gear

Won by a mile

Dominated

Is it Fmjs fault Manny is so easy to time that he had to do more to win? I like your posts CW, but I don't get your angle on this one

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 03 May 2015, 8:18 pm

If you say so.

I scored it 116-112. 3 clear Pacquiao rounds. 3/4 clear Mayweather rounds. And a handful in between where not much happened and Mayweather probably stole with jab on the backfoot.

But any Mayweather win is a masterclass etc etc

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 May 2015, 8:20 pm

Catchy is crying because Manny lost..

Knows he'll look stupid saying Manny won so he's looking for other ways to vent his bitterness...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 03 May 2015, 8:25 pm

The crying is coming from the Mayweather Masterclass brigade. I will be able to sleep well tonight knowing a past it Pacquiao lost.

Others will lie awake at the though that there is no universal accpetance of a Mayweather Masterclass, and will dedicate the next few years of their lives to trying to spread the word.

The real p1sser for me was it was another boring Mayweather fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 May 2015, 8:28 pm

kingraf wrote:Hampo and who ever the Frak he's with have it 4-2. I have it 5-1, Mm8 has it a near shutout for Floyd . Rafael has it 4-2.
#ControversyAfoot

5-1 to Manny.....

Geez...Gotta love it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 03 May 2015, 8:37 pm

I scored Mayweather but honestly felt that bar a few flurries Pacquiao didnt engage, past it? Maybe. I thought it was Mayweather who would be more cautious but sorry to say i think the result was a foregone conclusion, to what extent i wouldn't like to say but looking at both faces after the fight neither looked as if they had gone 12 rounds with anyone.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 9:27 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:So all the boxers who've fought entertaining styles, who've attacked and have taken punishment and now can't string a sentence together, struggle with numerous health issues, do you spare them a thought because they entertained the fans?

Look you have your favourite types of boxers and I have mines and nothing will change that. It is the same in any sports - you have a varying type of players/teams that employ their own tactics. I find Mayweather's akin to those football teams that play an away fixture and aim for a 0-0 shut out. They are doing what it takes to get a result in the tie which is understandable but as for making for an entertaining brand it fails big time. You say boxing isn't about entertainment? For the boxers - no it isn't. However, for the spectators of course it is otherwise why bother with the fight and just run the boxers stats through a computer and let the computer decide who wins the bouts. So it is about entertainment for those that pay the boxer's wages.

Nobodies trying to get you to become a Mayweather fan though. You were the one who initially said he isn't an ATG because he doesn't entertain you, which has no impact on being an ATG at all, and earlier from your posts it was as if you feel the fighters owe it to the fans to entertain. If anybody parted with any money for this fight expecting Mayweather to come out and attack then they are a clueless mug.

Err read back please. At no point have I ever said he wasn't an all-time great (in fact you will find that I have said he is) but as all-time greats go for entertainment value he scores way lower on the list than other all-time greats.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 9:36 pm

Craig, you did initially say he wasn't an ATG because he wasn't entertaining enough.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 9:55 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Craig, you did initially say he wasn't an ATG because he wasn't entertaining enough.

No I never said that. What I said was that I, in my personal opinion, don't see him as an all-time great although yes he will go down in record books as such. A difference there.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 10:08 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
AdamT wrote:Floyd threw more punches and landed way more. Pac had his moments but no way he won that.

9-3 for me. Both past it but Floyd still the best on the planet and an atg

I agree with your first point but sorry I (personally) don't see Mayweather as an all-time great. My ideal fighter is one that comes to box toe-to-toe and entertain. Mayweather doesn't do that. He fights the fight (much like pre-fight negotiations) on his terms alone and employs tactics that keep him away from a real scrap. Great skills no doubt about it but my all-time greats are ones not afraid to go to war such as your Haglers, Hearns, Duran, Sugar 'Ray' Leonard's of this world.

Your original comment on the matter, Hampo like me probably reads that as you saying he isn't an ATG.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 May 2015, 10:12 pm

Actually the use of the word "My" suggests he's own ATG list not just in general Ok!

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 10:14 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
AdamT wrote:Floyd threw more punches and landed way more. Pac had his moments but no way he won that.

9-3 for me. Both past it but Floyd still the best on the planet and an atg

I agree with your first point but sorry I (personally) don't see Mayweather as an all-time great. My ideal fighter is one that comes to box toe-to-toe and entertain. Mayweather doesn't do that. He fights the fight (much like pre-fight negotiations) on his terms alone and employs tactics that keep him away from a real scrap. Great skills no doubt about it but my all-time greats are ones not afraid to go to war such as your Haglers, Hearns, Duran, Sugar 'Ray' Leonard's of this world.

No there you see I did say I personally didn't see him as an all-time great. Later posts I did say he will go down in the record books though as an all-time great.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 10:15 pm

He's hardly going to be coming up with somebody elses ATG list now is he Nando, the emphasise on 'MY' would only be relevant had it said favourite not great. OK

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 10:16 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:People don't get it here.

Fine and yes of course Mayweather can win whatever way he chooses - fully understand that. My point is despite him going into record books as an all-time great (which he will) his fights won't live long in the memory for entertainment value like your Froch V Kessler or Duran V Leonard fights etc etc etc. As I said I'd rate his entertainment value low from the average spectator's viewpoint. That explains why he was the villain of the piece last night. He will go down as an all-time great for his silky skills and tactical brain but for entertainment value he ranks way down on the list for edge of your seat entertainment value.

And here I say about him going down as an all-time great.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 10:19 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He's hardly going to be coming up with somebody elses ATG list now is he Nando, the emphasise on 'MY' would only be relevant had it said favourite not great. OK

To clarify - in boxing parlances he is already down as an all-time great even before last night's 'fight'. But ask people to determine their all-time greats and you'll get a heck of a lot of different top ten lists. One man's meat is another man's poison so to speak. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 03 May 2015, 10:23 pm

I should clarify here Craig that I despise so called expert opinion and pay no attention to it in the slightest not that it changes in the slightest somebody's personal opinion on the matter which is all that matters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 03 May 2015, 10:29 pm

Yes Hh you have your favourites and others have theirs. It would be a damned boring place here if everyone liked the same things.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 03 May 2015, 10:51 pm

Coxy talks so much nonesense its hilarious. Cant just take a side, has to be the self-righteous all conclusive side

Manny destroyed everyone for ten years apart from one punch??

Have you watched his last two fights with Marquez? He was hurt several other times than that punch. Bradley was destroyed? Not my idea of destruction.

Floyd was excellent, but second gear? You are too funny

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 03 May 2015, 11:20 pm

Lance wrote:Coxy talks so much nonesense its hilarious. Cant just take a side, has to be the self-righteous all conclusive side

Have you watched his last two fights with Marquez? He was hurt several other times than that punch.  Bradley was destroyed? Not my idea of destruction.

Getting rather tedious now isn't it, its almost like people have to make it sound like it was better than it was because it really was dull

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 11:33 pm

Lance wrote:Coxy talks so much nonesense its hilarious. Cant just take a side, has to be the self-righteous all conclusive side

Have you watched his last two fights with Marquez? He was hurt several other times than that punch.  Bradley was destroyed? Not my idea of destruction.

Am no worse than many who get paid to write hyperbole, that's all it is and suggest you don't take things so literal and to heart.

He was fighter of the decade, he's just been handed a convincing loss of which there is no denying. The top two guys have just fought and one won by a mile - it is what it is. And it was boring yes. Was he in trouble? No. Was he stretched to the limit? No.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 03 May 2015, 11:38 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:

Getting rather tedious now isn't it, its almost like people have to make it sound like it was better than it was because it really was dull

Has anyone said it was edge of the seat stuff? You can either appreciate the technical wizardry or you can watch local leisure centre fights that you may think more exciting.

One of the best offensive fighters of recent times couldn't get near the guy. Quite enjoyed watching the nullifying process in all honesty.

Give it a day and the excuse threads will start and be demanding a rematch.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 03 May 2015, 11:40 pm

The fight has been drawn out too long and was too expensive, doesnt seem that either set of fans cant quite accept what they got out of it.

Me, it went almost exactly as I expected, 10/11 for Floyd on points was easy money.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Mon 04 May 2015, 2:11 pm

It was a masterclass in the same way as Dirrell put on a masterclass vs Froch.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 04 May 2015, 2:12 pm

Mayweather won comfortably, Dirrell lost, yes they're the same.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 May 2015, 2:17 pm

To be fair hammy, a lot of yanks in particular think dirrell won comfortably. If froch was Filipino and the fight took place in Vegas who knows what the cards look like.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 04 May 2015, 2:29 pm

The Froch/Dirrell fight was contentious last night was not which is a big difference, the cards ultimately don't really matter.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 04 May 2015, 5:11 pm

If Manny was injured to the extent that he threw fewer punches than the defensive supremo then something is very wrong because it was never a fight. IMO it was rigged and Floyd was always going to win it.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 04 May 2015, 5:20 pm

Rolling Eyes Another fantastic excuse to add to the list

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 04 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Rigged? Don't be silly. Manny was his usual happy, over the moon self in the build up. One would expect a guy that knew he was going to lose and in doing so let down all his fans and his country to be slightly less ecstatic.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 04 May 2015, 5:36 pm

Think I owe you a drink Ranjit, I did end up paying for it in the end Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 04 May 2015, 5:40 pm

Haha. I watched it in my brothers for nowt so I think we're quite.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Mon 04 May 2015, 5:43 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Mayweather won comfortably, Dirrell lost, yes they're the same.

In the US it was seen as daylight robbery.

Didn't Dirrell totally nullify Froch?

We apply 'aggression' over 'great footwork' when it suits our fighter.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 04 May 2015, 5:44 pm

thumbsup
Excerpt of the Kellerman interiew with Pac afterwards.
Kellerman: He had to be hitting you with something because you weren’t attacking him with the same kind of ferocity that we sometimes see you attack. We he not doing something to keep you off?
Pacquiao: Yeah I mean, I got him many times. I saw the punches…. I thought I won the fight.
Kellerman: We didn’t ringside, the judges didn’t. Right from the outset in the first round, he seemed to be able to you to fight at his pace. You usually throw a lot of punches, you didn’t throw as many punches right from the beginning. Why?
Pacquiao: He’s moving around. He’s moving around. It’s not easy to throw a lot of punches if [he’s] moving around. But if he stayed I can throw a lot of punches.
Kellerman: So you’re saying you thought you were up in the fight, that’s why maybe you didn’t attack him, you didn’t step up the pace even more in the 11th and 12th rounds?
Pacquiao: Yes
Kellerman: Manny, because ringside I thought I had him winning pretty wide, it seemed to me that his size was giving you some trouble. He’s a bigger fighter than you. Was he able to use his size against you?
Pacquiao: No, he’s not bigger than me, it’s not about the size. The size doesn’t matter. I’ve been fighting bigger than him, and nothing problem.

Must have been taking advice off a certain poster elsewhere #Delusional

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Mon 04 May 2015, 5:58 pm

Anyone who thinks that fight was even remotely close, A) knows jackshit about boxing or B) Needs their head examined.

Mayweather a clear winner. pacman won a max of three rounds and that's being generous.

And I can't stand the Muppet but that was a clear as daylight victory.

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Mon 04 May 2015, 6:00 pm

lol at Silver and Raf,

Silver, looks like you know as much about boxing as you do about tennis - Poopie all

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 04 May 2015, 7:06 pm

ZZ wrote:lol at Silver and Raf,

Silver, looks like you know as much about boxing as you do about tennis - Poopie all

Hmm, bit harsh there mate. I'm not sure you'd find a single person on the tennis boards who'd agree with you, but you're entitled to your opinion.

As for the fight, I scored it a draw on the night, 116-112 on the rewatch. Gave too many middle rounds to Manny; someone made an interesting point about that check hook in R6 and it's clear that in the second half he just wasn't at the races. Really surprising because he gave it some stick early on, with reasonable output but was made to fade badly by May's skills. By the end Floyd had him on a string.

Some big damage on the cards done from 10-12. The tone was set by then though, I'm not sure there's much that Pac could've done about turning the fight around that late. He really looks resigned late on.

Good performance by Mayweather. Not exactly scintillating but he did control things extremely well. Would've loved to see him carry on that first round tempo, though!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 04 May 2015, 7:21 pm

Nothing like a good old conspiracy theory Laugh Let it go people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3067387/Conspiracy-accident-Floyd-Mayweather-Manny-Pacquiao-marked-wrong-corners-judges-scorecard.html

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 04 May 2015, 8:18 pm

Pacquiao was totally respectful of the Bradley decision that went against him, so he probably wasn't being disingenuous in the interview, just had a bias point if view.

Does annoy me when interviewers talk rings around foreign fighters who clearly aren't very capable of articulating themselves in English. Not being able to articulate oneself in English is something I very much relate to.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 04 May 2015, 8:19 pm

*I'm not foreign, I just think on a level no human language has caught up to.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 04 May 2015, 8:48 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:

I think it was only dull because it wasn't competitive. Mayweather nullified manny, dictated the pace, dominated him physically, and caught him at will.....All without breaking sweat.

I was disappointed with manny, I expected him to throw caution to the wind. He was forced to think and chose to box after tasting a few right hands early; I believe the Marquez counter right KO was a factor in this.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 May 2015, 10:41 pm

I appreciate your technical break down of fights fingers, but I really didn't see any physical domination. I've no doubt floyd hits hard enough for his opponents to not take liberties and be wary of those lead rights, so I'm sure that was a factor in manny's output.  But while compubox says floyd landed plenty of power shots, until the last couple of rounds I didn't see much in the way of head snapping back clean shots... Unlike the Canelo fight. I thought manny blocked, slipped and rode a lot of them.

Interesting that manny's one real moment of success came from a counter.

Clear win in the end but not a shutout or a masterclass for me. Great lesson in defensive work maybe, but what was it, 140 odd punches landed? How many of them clean? If that's landing at will what were ward and gatti doing?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 04 May 2015, 11:30 pm

This is what I call boxing action:-

https://youtu.be/5s--I8BsgDU
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content