The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+34
Sin é
MeanAsCustard
Dave.
bmcr
Luckless Pedestrian
Breadvan
XR
perthshirepuma
Rava
KiaRose
The_Hound_of_Harrow
nottins
prop_lyd
Gibson
Mick(TEFC)
mickyt
mrsuperclear
PenfroPete
Biltong
Notch
poissonrouge
Ozzy3213
MBTGOG
Suspicious lurker
Glas a du
RuggerRadge2611
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
MR. scotland27
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Thomond
red_stag
Mickado
Cari
Adam D
38 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 6:25 am

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Last edited by Hobo on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 7:17 am

Morning. cuppa

Thanks for starting again Hobo. I always miss the end. Never mind....we just go on and on...

I had all good intentions today to go out and do stuff, but my body says otherwise. At least I don't have to go sick from work I suppose. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 7:34 am

Ah what's up Cari? You feeling Moby Dick? I totally forgot the UK had a bank holiday yesterday, we get ours next week. And there was me cursing my UK colleagues for not answering their mails yesterday!

Interesting debate about literature last night, no harm that I wasn't about though, I rarely read anymore. Which is odd because everyone in my family reads alot, my mam read LOTR on a 10 day holiday, I read two pages then put on the DVD!

Oh and to the new poster from a soccer/GAA school, welcome. I was in the same boat when I joined 606 about 4 years ago, just joined up to read everyone's opinion because nobody in real life wanted to discuss rugby. Get involved!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 7:54 am

There was a big influx yesterday and I reckon more will join today.

Had a load of retweets from pros yesterday as well as members from here, so thanks OK

I noticed a few comments about outside of the pub being quiet but I dont think so. And if anyone does - make more of an effort!

One final thing - not from the admin team but from me (although they do share my sentiments) - thank you all for coming over and helping build v2 - if there is anything we can do to improve things, please let us know.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 7:58 am

Thanks Hobo. I generally write articles on Leinster or Ireland but will comment on most anything so don't take my quietness on hear as a protest! Smile

What's going to happen with duplicate articles (team selections for example)? Will they be merged? They were a real bug bear of mine from old 606.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 31 May 2011, 8:03 am

Yes the duplicate articles are something that will need to be managed.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:07 am

Aye not feeling fabulous today Mickado. It'll soon pass. I was going to get my haircut and everything too. Bummer.

I haven't read a fictional book for about a year - and that was GB84 by David Peace I think. He's not fantasy fiction though like LOTR or something.

I'm sure they can merge the duplicate articles. However, those should be avoidable now because on old 606 it took a while for an article to appear publicly, so people started new ones thinking no one else had written one, and you can remove your own threads altogether now.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 8:13 am

Duplicate articles will definitely be merged - that is one of the roles of the moderators (take note!) - make sure you point out whenever you can.

Absolutely agree - a real eyesore.

We will most probably need another rugby mod soon as well - so anyone interested, please let me know.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:19 am

Speaking of Mods Hobo, there isn't one established on the Irish sports thread yet and there's more members now, so you might want to look at that.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 8:20 am

I see you are winning the poll Whistle

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 31 May 2011, 8:23 am

Thanks to the tireless campaigning of RB and myself.Vote Cari: http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-6eb9a6c649a8f88d43853379bdcc74f8

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:30 am

Hobo - Ha! That was under protest...

Any techies in here? I've got a fairly new PC and it came with Win 7 Security on it. Now it's telling me that I've got to purchase the new one cause it's done a scan and found some tracking software or other. However I did a scan with my free anti virus and that was OK. do I have to buy this new win 7 security or what? It's very expensive!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 8:33 am

Not sure about your specific query there but be warned there are a few viruses that tell you that you have a virus and that you need to buy software.

Try googling it to find out would be my advice (the exact message that appears).

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:37 am

Well I find it ironic that the anti virus says nothing and yet this Windows warning asks me to purchase something. It keeps coming up though on my pc. I'm going to log off and wait to speak to my sister she's pretty good with these things.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 8:43 am

Cari, I SHOULD know about that what with working for a company in the business and all but I’m just a lowly production engineer!

As far as I know, when software tells you that it’s found something that you need to spend money on to remove it’s usually a scam. Try to remove the software that’s popping up by going to add/remove programs in the control panel (should be easily done). Windows has (by all accounts) a decent anti-virus software program built in. either way, you should really only have one on there. AGV is a free one you can get off the net, but for best in class protection the yellow box is your only man Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:53 am

Yellow box? So if I remove the windows security (that's the one asking me to buy an upgrade) will I still be protected on there by the other one? Does all anti virus software have firewall protection? I'm not sure how these things work.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 31 May 2011, 8:56 am

Hobo wrote:
I noticed a few comments about outside of the pub being quiet but I dont think so. And if anyone does - make more of an effort!

Hobo, well said - it's a fresh start and incumbent on all of us to create a good forum by posting outside as well clap

Love having the comfort blanket that is my egg egg back too! Morning all coffee

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Tue 31 May 2011, 8:57 am

Morning everyone, hope that a lot of new people to join today. By the way good work with the pub Hobo/Cari/RD thumbsup
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 8:59 am

Right, I've logged back in and it hasn't told me again so it must've come through the website I'd logged onto. Scamming buggers!

Thanks guys! thumbsup

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:00 am

That's true on the forum by the way...it is what everyone makes it. So far, the users have made it a good one. I can see some good articles appearing. I said that about the old pub too - it's only as good as its users Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 9:02 am

Yeah, as long as you have one on there you should be ok. I would remove the windows one if it’s giving you annoying pop ups.

Not all anti-virus software has a firewall, but I’m not sure you need one at all.

Do you use internet explorer? It’s not the safest browser so if you’re concerned about getting a virus I’d switch to firefox (free).

Given who I work for I’m not sure I can give subjective advise on this, I get a free copy of our stuff for myself each year so I’ve never had to use the free stuff online and I can’t really recommend what to do! Gibbo would be able to tell you all about it!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:06 am

Mickado - I use Firefox cause Gibbo said it was more secure than IE, so that's my default browser. I think the message has gone now anyway. I have a feeling it was a pop-up ad from when I clicked on another website. My anti virus hasn't picked up anything anyhoo Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Tue 31 May 2011, 9:07 am

Firefox is definitely where it's at best browser by a mile.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:07 am

Morning all.

Here's the official old 606 closure announcement - last rites are some time this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A85174284

Hobo, I volunteered last time around for the moderators spot. So if you want someone non-Welsh for balance Wink* I'm happy to have a go.

This morning's Times had articles on the killer Spanish cucumbers, and the upcoming barring of tourists from "coffee shops" in Holland - which had me thinking about the Regs all the way in.

Gibbo, I hope they let you have a "Weedpass" Wink

*Sorry Dreamer & Ospreylian for any implied aspersions, you're doing a pretty good job IMO.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 31 May 2011, 9:10 am

Morning All,

not a bad weekend of Rugby was it? Really Chuffed Big Vis played well for the Baa Baa's giving eager Scottish fans a taster of what he might be capable of when he qualifies for residency next year.

Anyone else disapointed with the premiership final? I'm guessing so!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:12 am

Kiwi - Bizarrely it says that they'll close 606 "sometime during the morning". What's that supposed to mean? You could be in the middle of a really good debate, a sentence even and get cut off mid flow, never to know the outcome. They're not having a countdown or anything. Ah well...I also notice 62 people gave that announcement one star. Is that a record?

I like the killer cucumbers stories - it's like something out of a really bad B-movie.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:14 am

Morning Radge - I didn't see the English final. Is Visser definitely going for Scottish residency then? Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:16 am

Cari wrote:Kiwi - Bizarrely it says that they'll close 606 "sometime during the morning". What's that supposed to mean? You could be in the middle of a really good debate, a sentence even and get cut off mid flow, never to know the outcome. They're not having a countdown or anything. Ah well...I also notice 62 people gave that announcement one star. Is that a record?

I like the killer cucumbers stories - it's like something out of a really bad B-movie.

Cari, I'm guessing that means they ritually turn off the servers, one at a time ...

As horrible as the food poisoning stories are on the cucumbers I'm experiencing some degree of "see, I was right" on the matter Wink. Evil I know. (Hobo, about that Devil emoticon ... [http://poisson.org.uk/emoticon/f_devil.gif])
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:17 am

Kiwi - good grief it's like 606 execution by lethal injection...one bit....at...a...time...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 May 2011, 9:19 am

devil devil devil devil

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 31 May 2011, 9:21 am

I think the cucumbers are trying to take over the planet. Revenge for all the vegetation destroyed by man over the years...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 9:22 am

Kiwi, I heard that story about Amsterdam. Which is why I’m making the trip* before the ban is in.

*pun very much intended.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:24 am

Cheers Hobo

devil devil devil devil
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 31 May 2011, 9:38 am

Cari wrote:Kiwi - Bizarrely it says that they'll close 606 "sometime during the morning". What's that supposed to mean? You could be in the middle of a really good debate, a sentence even and get cut off mid flow, never to know the outcome. They're not having a countdown or anything. Ah well...I also notice 62 people gave that announcement one star. Is that a record?

Not just cucumbers but tomatoes and lettuce as well. Salad dodgers everywhere unite!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 31 May 2011, 9:40 am

P.S. It's the organic cucumbers etc. that are the killers. Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:45 am

One for the wall (work in progress admittedly Super XV Week 16 Preview )

Reading back to last night, on the books front I enjoy reading fantasy but prefer SciFi - I read LOTR and the Hobbit once, haven't felt the need to re-read admittedly. The story does stick in your mind though. I love Terry Pratchett, while I've spent a lot of time reading Eric Flint's 1632 series (a cosmic accident shifts a small West Virginia coal mining town from 1999 back to 1630s Germany and turns history on its head).

Dreamer, Queen OK. I recorded the doco, then wound up watching it as well last night. It'll be on iPlayer all week too.

Stag, personally I feel nervous about the AB's chances vs Australia come RWC, so forgive me if I don't give Ireland more than a 1 in 3 chance of topping their pool - I don't think Ireland will get enough dominance in the forwards to negate the Aussie backline.

devil
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 31 May 2011, 9:50 am

Cari wrote:Morning Radge - I didn't see the English final. Is Visser definitely going for Scottish residency then? Smile

Well cari I can only hope so, he has already signaled his intentions to play for Scotland when he quallifies.

I know for sure Scotland need a try scorer! He does it well enough for the Burgh so I can't see why he won't bring that style to Scotland at international level. He showed he has that quality for the Baa Baas. Interesting if he will get another stab at it against Wales.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:51 am

FYI all, Ummm, has promised to set up an RWC Sports Guru poll
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A85204640

I should get an invite from him so will spread the word once SG get a comp set up.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 31 May 2011, 9:56 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Morning All,

not a bad weekend of Rugby was it? Really Chuffed Big Vis played well for the Baa Baa's giving eager Scottish fans a taster of what he might be capable of when he qualifies for residency next year.

Anyone else disapointed with the premiership final? I'm guessing so!

Radge, agreed - thought he did well, took his chances when they came, and when the ball wasn't coming his way, he went looking for it (a la Bowe) - good support lines for his second try too. Did you see that wee brother Sepp was right up there among the top try scorers in NL1 (along with David Howells - HOOOWWWWWEEELLLLLLSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYY! - of London Scottish)? He's playing for Tynedale, going to college in Newcastle. Does anyone know whether an eligibility qualification gained thru residency passes on to other non-resident family members? I'm assuming not.

Lastly, on behalf of ummm, can I briefly advertise that the great man will be running a Rugby World Cup sportguru competition for all those that are interested OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 9:59 am

As,
HOOOWWWWWEEELLLLLLSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYY!

Thanks again, I really enjoyed the London Scottish dinner Friday night (though my head didn't Saturday - I should've stayed off the red wine Wink)

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 31 May 2011, 10:01 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Did you see that wee brother Sepp was right up there among the top try scorers in NL1 (along with David Howells - HOOOWWWWWEEELLLLLLSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYY! - of London Scottish)? He's playing for Tynedale, going to college in Newcastle. Does anyone know whether an eligibility qualification gained thru residency passes on to other non-resident family members? I'm assuming not.

Lastly, on behalf of ummm, can I briefly advertise that the great man will be running a Rugby World Cup sportguru competition for all those that are interested OK

ASBO,

Firstly, wouldn't that be an interesting predicament, brothers on opposite international teams. I'm not sure if residencey can be passed onto siblings, it would be nice though.

Secondly, would the sports Guru thing be the results prediction thing? If so then yes, I would be interested! Ale
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 31 May 2011, 10:04 am

Radge, that’s it alright. You predict who will win and by what margin. You’re awarded points for getting a) the correct winning team b) getting withing 5 points of the correct margin (so you predict the blue team to win by 2 but they lose by 1, you get points) and an extra point is given to the person within the pool who get’s closest to the correct winner and margin (divided if there’s a tie).

It’s good stuff. Get involved!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 May 2011, 10:10 am

Some news from downunder, in the farewell match for Carisbrook this weekend he Highlanders will be debuting their new playing strip.

And Stu Dickinson has been "demoted" to assistant ref for a couple of weeks following his handling of the Reds vs Crusaders game on Sunday.

And some stats for Mickado
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Tue 31 May 2011, 10:22 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport?mobile-redirect=false
http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/rugby

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/headlines.cfm?c_id=80
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union

Morning all I'm sleeping in a lot at the minute, very unlike me
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 31 May 2011, 10:22 am

Morning all,

Just going back to last nights conversations. On the subject of music, I think my favourite type of journalism is for music as it's so obnoxiously complicated.

I'd be like Dreamer in that I absolutely love LOTR and I think I even prefer the Silmarillion. Just bought the box set 2 days ago. Watching them over the days with the girls, then this Saturday watching them in succession with the lads.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 31 May 2011, 10:29 am

By the by "Two Towers" is easily the best one Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 31 May 2011, 10:36 am

Morning all

I was up with the sparrows out kicking in doors this morning and now have 5 prisoners to deal with, it's going to be a long day!!!

Interesting discussion on books last night. I have read LOTR but didn't enjoy it, I found it a very difficult read. Sadly I do not find as much time to read these days and haven't read anything of not in the past year. Note to self - make more time.

If mickyt pops in make sure you all give him some stick for giving out to Nigels Owens on twitter about a decision in the Munster v Leinster game! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 31 May 2011, 10:39 am

Really? What was he whinging about Smile Many of Leinster and Munsters turnovers were illegal. I thought it was a fair enough game overall. I thought Owens wasn't great but was far from disastrous.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 31 May 2011, 10:52 am

To be fair to mick, he just asked Nigel about a particular decision and did conced that from where Nigel was on the pitch he would have struggled to see the infringement.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 31 May 2011, 10:58 am

Ah its not that bad so. Here's a random discussion. If you went back in time by 1000 years and were to bring a gift with you to give to the people there what would it be?

Bear in mind no electricity.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next