The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 Finals

+32
whocares
Rory_Gallagher
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
The Saint
MichaelT
Sin é
Don Alfonso
marty2086
Irish Londoner
Kingshu
LeinsterFan4life
Cardiff Dave
Chunky Norwich
R!skysports
SecretFly
wayne
Pot Hale
ScarletSpiderman
TJ
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
LordDowlais
RDW
Blueschief
Fanster
bedfordwelsh
Notch
36 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pro12 Finals - Page 6 Empty Pro12 Finals

Post by 123456789 Sun 31 May 2015, 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

This year signalled a shift towards a neutral, predetermined venue for the "Grand Final". Belfast was a fantastic choice for this and was a wonderful venue however there are some calls to move the final to a larger stadium to create an atmosphere similar to that at Twickenham yesterday and therefore making it a bigger occasion. There are a number of issues with this, namely that it would mean the final would have to be held in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin or Cardiff every year but for argument's sake how do we look to fill out these larger venues?

Firstly it's worth remembering that (if we discount the Italians) we have a combined population of 10 million which is a sixth of the English, and this population is spread far less densely and with far more expensive and difficult transport links so it is logistically difficult. Also Twickenham is the home of rugby for english fans and therefore represents something close to a pilgrimage for English fans regardless of club allegiances, this is something you wouldn't get for a fan of the Dragons if the final was in Scotland or Ireland between clubs from Scotland or Ireland especially when you factor cost of transport and the fact that diehard rugby fans would have probably travelled long distances just a couple of months before for the Six Nations. Nevertheless giving the final to the top team is also difficult as it's hard to create a big occasion befitting of the league in just one week, so what it the solution?

The first step in my opinion would be to appeal to and, in many ways, reward the diehard fans. By that I mean give heavily subsidised tickets to the season ticket holders regardless of club and maybe organise travel from major population bases so Dublin, Belfast, Edinbugh, Glasgow and Dublin. That way you get a crowd with large numbers of real rugby fans who enjoy each others company. Of course you want to make sure the finalists have large numbers of fans there so it's a bit more partisan so maybe holding back 20,000 tickets until the play-offs and then give 2,500 tickets each to the semi-finalists and then after the semis give 5,000 each to the finalists to be sold at their own price and also divide up any remaining tickets. Anything they lose from cheap tickets they'll gain in the long run through a bigger spectacle and more sponsorship as a result.

Second step would be to make it more relevant to fans of every club so either a sevens tournament of sorts in the morning between the teams or perhaps more effectively some form of exhibition or charity game. Either between two "best of the rest" Pro12 XVs, or Pro12 XV against the Barbarians or two teams chosen by outgoing Pro12 legends in a kind of testimonial match.

Finally I'd try to make more of a spectacle of the event, you can say what you like about the SRU but they do put on a good show before matches. Say it was in Glasgow then there are a lot of local comedians and musicians who make a big deal about their allegiance to the city guys like Kevin Bridges and Amy Macdonald so get them involved have fireworks and really build up an atmosphere for the final.

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Finals - Page 6 Empty Re: Pro12 Finals

Post by Fanster Sat 06 Jun 2015, 9:43 am

I have to say, even when you guys are having a frank argument with each other it's still pretty pleasant to read, there is little insulting or threatening behaviour, childishness is kept to a minimum and agendas are hard to see...

Or maybe you guys are just so subtle that i'm missing a lot of the negativity?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 06 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

Fanster - its the never ending niggly accusations of cheating / corruption / bias aimed at the Irish by one or two posters. Its not the one post - its the cumulative effect. also mods will clamp down quickly on abusive posts

One poster in particular makes every thread he can about pro Irish anti welsh Bias despite there being no evidence at all for his case and despite his points being comprehensively refuted time and time again. Its xenophobia verging on racism. over the months it becomes wearing

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 08 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

TJ wrote:Fanster - its the never ending niggly accusations of cheating / corruption / bias aimed at the Irish by one or two posters.  Its not the one post - its the cumulative effect.  also mods will clamp down quickly on abusive posts

One poster in particular makes every thread he can about pro Irish anti welsh Bias despite there being no evidence at all for his case and despite his points being comprehensively refuted time and time again.  Its xenophobia verging on racism.  over the months it becomes wearing

To be fair. There is a whole load of pulling up previous comments on other threads causing a never ending wumming battle (with both sides being guilty of it!). And there is a whole heap of people jumping on anything certain posters post and looking for the 'offence' in the post rather than just looking at it as a thread and reading/responding to it as they would if it were written by a different poster.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:12 am

This is how it goes:

Poster A:  You guys are a bunch of cheating scum schits and A, B and C facts tells me that I'm right.
Poster B:  Hang on a minute.  You can't just call us cheating scum schits and expect to get away with it.
Poster A:  Not only can I get away with it,  saying it is legit 'coz I got A, B and C facts backing me up.
Poster B:  Last week you didn't have A, B and C facts and you still called us schits.
Poster A:  Now I have proof.
Poster B:  Proof my arse.  You're a xenophobic asswhole who just dislikes us being reasonably good at what we do.
Poster A:  There you go.  That's what you lot are like.  Someone says something legit like calling you lot cheating scum schits and all you can say back is to start with the personal insults.  I'd expect nothing more from you and it's even more proof that I'm right.
Poster B: You mean you can dish it out and can't take it, big boy?

Poster C:  Will all you B type posters leave Poster A alone and stop victimising him for telling the truth -or at least a legitimate version of it based on A, B and C facts.
Poster D: They're not facts.  They're balderdash.
Poster C: Oh here we go.  Mr Always Right turn up with the lonnnnggg memory.  Give it a rest.  Stop remembering what everyone said in 1946.  Poster A has legitimate reasons for calling yis all lowlife scum cheats and none of you can argue his opinion away, so you revert to ganging up on him and bullying him and personal name calling.
Poster B:  Are you for real, you f*king gobshite?
Poster C:  Where's the mods?  I won't take this personal stuff being thrown at me simply because I support the opinions of an oppressed bullied poster that legitimately thinks you're all cheating scum schits!

Wink

It's a weird world we live in okay - on that fact I'll agree with anyone.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

SecretFly wrote:This is how it goes:

Poster A:  You guys are a bunch of cheating scum schits and A, B and C facts tells me that I'm right.
Poster B:  Hang on a minute.  You can't just call us cheating scum schits and expect to get away with it.
Poster A:  Not only can I get away with it,  saying it is legit 'coz I got A, B and C facts backing me up.
Poster B:  Last week you didn't have A, B and C facts and you still called us schits.
Poster A:  Now I have proof.
Poster B:  Proof my arse.  You're a xenophobic asswhole who just dislikes us being reasonably good at what we do.
Poster A:  There you go.  That's what you lot are like.  Someone says something legit like calling you lot cheating scum schits and all you can say back is to start with the personal insults.  I'd expect nothing more from you and it's even more proof that I'm right.
Poster B: You mean you can dish it out and can't take it, big boy?

Poster C:  Will all you B type posters leave Poster A alone and stop victimising him for telling the truth -or at least a legitimate version of it based on A, B and C facts.
Poster D: They're not facts.  They're balderdash.
Poster C: Oh here we go.  Mr Always Right turn up with the lonnnnggg memory.  Give it a rest.  Stop remembering what everyone said in 1946.  Poster A has legitimate reasons for calling yis all lowlife scum cheats and none of you can argue his opinion away, so you revert to ganging up on him and bullying him and personal name calling.
Poster B:  Are you for real, you f*king gobshite?
Poster C:  Where's the mods?  I won't take this personal stuff being thrown at me simply because I support the opinions of an oppressed bullied poster that legitimately thinks you're all cheating scum schits!

Wink

It's a weird world we live in okay - on that fact I'll agree with anyone.

Either that way or

Poster A: I have an opinion on something other than you lot being cheatin scum schits.
Poster B, C, D, E: Oh yeah that's right call us a bunch of cheating scum schits.
Poster A, F: I didn't, but to be honest you guys are a bunch of cheating scum schits and A, B and C facts tells me that I'm right.
Poster B, C, D, E: See we knew it you always call us cheating scum schits and expect to get away with it.
Poster A, F: Not only can I get away with it, saying it is legit 'coz I got A, B and C facts backing me up.
Poster B, C, D, E: Last week you didn't have A, B and C facts and you still called us schits.
Poster A, F: Now I have proof.
Poster B, C, D, E: Proof my arse. You're a xenophobic asswhole who just dislikes us being reasonably good at what we do.
Poster A, F: There you go. That's what you lot are like. Someone says something legit like calling you lot cheating scum schits and all you can say back is to start with the personal insults. I'd expect nothing more from you and it's even more proof that I'm right.
Poster B, C, D, E, F: You mean you can dish it out and can't take it, big boy?
Poster H: Will all you B type posters leave Poster A alone and stop victimising him for telling the truth -or at least a legitimate version of it based on A, B and C facts.
Poster I: They're not facts. They're balderdash.
Poster H: Oh here we go. Mr Always Right turn up with the lonnnnggg memory. Give it a rest. Stop remembering what everyone said in 1946. Poster A has legitimate reasons for calling yis all lowlife scum cheats and none of you can argue his opinion away, so you revert to ganging up on him and bullying him and personal name calling.
Poster B, C, D, E: Are you for real, you f*king gobshite?
Poster H: Where's the mods? I won't take this personal stuff being thrown at me simply because I support the opinions of an oppressed bullied poster that legitimately thinks you're all cheating scum schits!
Poster SecretFly: Some exceptionally long winded, half logical clap trap, wrapped in pseudo humour. Ensuring the bitch-fest continues
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Jun 2015, 3:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Poster SecretFly: Some exceptionally long winded, half logical clap trap, wrapped in pseudo humour.  Ensuring the bitch-fest continues

I make a very good point there about Posters A, B, C, D, E, H and I. Everyone should take note of my opinion on them as I'm usually always right.

Well spotted, Scarlet. OK I forgot I said that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

Half logical was being generous...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:16 pm

I think Fly summed up the discussion very well. A logical summary king

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:33 pm

Am not in the mood of reading all 6 pages of this thread but can someone summarise what are A, B and C facts? Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:41 pm

The A,B and C facts are opinion based on imagination. Now that is a succinct and logical summary Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 08 Jun 2015, 6:35 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
TJ wrote:Fanster - its the never ending niggly accusations of cheating / corruption / bias aimed at the Irish by one or two posters.  Its not the one post - its the cumulative effect.  also mods will clamp down quickly on abusive posts

One poster in particular makes every thread he can about pro Irish anti welsh Bias despite there being no evidence at all for his case and despite his points being comprehensively refuted time and time again.  Its xenophobia verging on racism.  over the months it becomes wearing

To be fair.  There is a whole load of pulling up previous comments on other threads causing a never ending wumming battle (with both sides being guilty of it!).  And there is a whole heap of people jumping on anything certain posters post and looking for the 'offence' in the post rather than just looking at it as a thread and reading/responding to it as they would if it were written by a different poster.

Please try to use a bit of common sense, for goodness sake. If the same poster was not consistently trying to be antagonistic in the first place, there would not be the same continuous and tiresome arguments on these forums. You would have to be a complete moron to try and suggest both sides are doing the same thing, how much more obvious does it need to be to see that there is one poster who is consistently trying to get a reaction? Are you really so dull?

You have said before that you will defend yourself if you must on these forums, so why are you struggling to see that the "other side" are also defending themselves from one poster who wants to create trouble?

If you want to carry on living in your fantasy world, go right ahead, but don't complain when the circle of life continues.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 08 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

To be fair.  There is a whole load of pulling up previous comments on other threads causing a never ending wumming battle (with both sides being guilty of it!).  And there is a whole heap of people jumping on anything certain posters post and looking for the 'offence' in the post rather than just looking at it as a thread and reading/responding to it as they would if it were written by a different poster.

Please try to use a bit of common sense, for goodness sake. If the same poster was not consistently trying to be antagonistic in the first place, there would not be the same continuous and tiresome arguments on these forums. You would have to be a complete moron to try and suggest both sides are doing the same thing, how much more obvious does it need to be to see that there is one poster who is consistently trying to get a reaction? Are you really so dull?

You have said before that you will defend yourself if you must on these forums, so why are you struggling to see that the "other side" are also defending themselves from one poster who wants to create trouble?

If you want to carry on living in your fantasy world, go right ahead, but don't complain when the circle of life continues.

Step back and breathe. Then re-read your post calmly. It reads like a rant, and reads pretty un-rugby related and pretty uneven handed. Yes some posters do get peoples noses out of join. And the reactions get other peoples noses out of joint. And the reactions from both sides are laughable (a bit like your post was a bit 'direct' to be polite about it). Both sides are flinging their fair share if muck.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

There was an interesting article by Stuart Barnes in the Sunday Times highlighting the departure of rugby from it's traditional values. He cited the All Blacks as being perpetrators in chief and makes some fair points.

When posters can't tell the difference between a different by valid rugby opinion and an unashamed troll being contrary for the sake of it that is just another symptom of the general decline in values.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:39 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:There was an interesting article by Stuart Barnes in the Sunday Times highlighting the departure of rugby from it's traditional values. He cited the All Blacks as being perpetrators in chief and makes some fair points.

When posters can't tell the difference between a different by valid rugby opinion and an unashamed troll being contrary for the sake of it that is just another symptom of the general decline in values.

Are you talking about Stuart Barnes?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

I think we've all been taking ourselves a little bit too seriously.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:41 pm

Sorry - for me these two trolls really spoil the boards. constant negative posting verging on racism. It really puts me off coming here

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:59 pm

Notch wrote:I think we've all been taking ourselves a little bit too seriously.

Yes but some of us are looking after the good of the game but the others are purely acting from self-interest. I'll let you'll work out which is which

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 09 Jun 2015, 12:19 am

TJ wrote: It really puts me off coming here

Good.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jun 2015, 12:30 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Notch wrote:I think we've all been taking ourselves a little bit too seriously.

Yes but some of us are looking after the good of the game but the others are purely acting from self-interest. I'll let you'll work out which is which

Nah man. We're all just a bunch of rugby fans arguing about stuff that doesn't matter that much on the internet.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:54 am

The Saint wrote:
TJ wrote: It really puts me off coming here

Good.

Laugh

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:56 am

FFS - if you quote the numptie I end up seeing his posts despite having him blocked.
Why he is allowed to remain here is beyond me

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:18 am

When these little tiffs occur with the same two posters I always think that cartoon (which I can't upload)

'Are you coming to bed love?'
'Nooooo, someone's wrong on the internet'

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:30 am

Not sure if it'll work but...
Pro12 Finals - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyBRr6kIM5jCCgHOspPNibVmEt8PynxS8LmFk5uElsU499bZQyaA

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 11:32 am

That's the very one Hammer.
It's funny because it's so true

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 09 Jun 2015, 1:54 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:There was an interesting article by Stuart Barnes in the Sunday Times highlighting the departure of rugby from it's traditional values. He cited the All Blacks as being perpetrators in chief and makes some fair points.

Are you talking about Stuart Barnes?

Laugh

He also made a few dubious points and did contradict himself as well, but hey...

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 09 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

I did a bit of moderating back in the days on ye olde forums in late nineties and the method of approach for dealing with posters who were possibly aggravating other posters was real simple.

1. The forum for the most part recognised if a poster was being an ar$e and told him or her so to encourage them to alter the ar$sey bits of behaviour.

2. If ar$ey behaviour continued anyway, then they simply got ignored - no matter how hard they tried.

3. Ban was always an absolute last resort.

Made my role a lot easier and everybody generally got along (2 bans in five years).

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm

When I started out moderating I was pretty ruthless with the old ban hammer, but now I tend not to use it if at all possible. Of course, having taken both hardline and laissez faire approaches its now obvious that whatever approach you take you're always going to be the worst in the world for some people regardless Smile

Turns out that bans are ineffective. Deploying them involves long, exhausting email exchanges with the aggrieved party, allegations of bias and, no lie, conspiracy (laughing) and enduring the rage of slighted, angry people with little outlet for that negativity in real life. It makes a small difference when serial offenders are removed, but it causes so much hue and cry that it takes up time and energy you would rather commit to your actual work and your real-world personal life. Eventually, you just let things slide until the point where things devolve to the level of hurling insults. Then you have to involve yourself and the tiresome cycle of opprobrium begins again.

We get a lot of this

Pro12 Finals - Page 6 Tumblr_mj88inc4aw1rnzcl1o1_500
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 4:31 pm

Notch wrote:When I started out moderating I was pretty ruthless with the old ban hammer, but now I tend not to use it if at all possible. Of course, having taken both hardline and laissez faire approaches its now obvious that whatever approach you take you're always going to be the worst in the world for some people regardless Smile

Turns out that bans are ineffective. Deploying them involves long, exhausting email exchanges with the aggrieved party, allegations of bias and, no lie, conspiracy (laughing) and enduring the rage of slighted, angry people with little outlet for that negativity in real life. It makes a small difference when serial offenders are removed, but it causes so much hue and cry that it takes up time and energy you would rather commit to your actual work and your real-world personal life. Eventually, you just let things slide until the point where things devolve to the level of hurling insults. Then you have to involve yourself and the tiresome cycle of opprobrium begins again.

We get a lot of this

Pro12 Finals - Page 6 Tumblr_mj88inc4aw1rnzcl1o1_500

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 09 Jun 2015, 4:49 pm

I just saw "ban hammer" and wondered what I had done.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jun 2015, 6:07 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I just saw "ban hammer" and wondered what I had done.

Ah yes, the Ban Hammer campaign... about that. I think you're a good bloke, but the people have spoken and I really just want a quiet life so...

Don't take it personally. You can take an hour or so to say your farewells Whistle thumbsup
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 09 Jun 2015, 6:52 pm

I don't really care for anyone on here so I'll just be off then.

Edit: oh and if "the people" ran this place I wouldn't be here anyway. People be crazy.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:10 pm

Erm, if it's not obvious I was joking... Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 09 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm

Notch wrote:Erm, if it's not obvious I was joking... Smile

Me too Hug

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm

Notch - my advise is not to get into conversations with folk you ban. One forum ( I got a life ban from :-) ) had a policy of no discussion of moderator decisions and no discussions with banned folk for that very reason

Warn, temp ban, life ban. No discussions.

Moderating is a tricky balancing act and on the whole this place is done fairly well ande thus reamins good temperd.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:10 am

To go back to Numbers original post Rolling Eyes

Seen as how our home final was ermmm.... removed from us ! The Pro 12 final should be played in Glasgow next year. But Numbers ffs not Amy MacDonald, lets have Biffy Clyro, who, after all, are band/composers of one of our theme songs - The Captain. Maybe we could get AC/DC as well for Back in Black ?
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

TJ, you got a life ban from somewhere. That shocks me. Whistle

Some how, I've never even had a warning.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:29 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:To go back to Numbers original post Rolling Eyes

Seen as how our home final was ermmm.... removed from us !   The Pro 12 final should be played in Glasgow next year.    But Numbers ffs not Amy MacDonald, lets have Biffy Clyro, who, after all, are band/composers of one of our theme songs - The Captain.       Maybe we could get AC/DC as well for Back in Black ?

You just know it'll be The Proclaimers, I think the Scottish Parliament have their participation at any public event in Scotland enshrined in law Very Happy

Maybe Glasgow could do the first "Rock and Rugby" final, PRO12 final in the afternoon and then a gig in the evening, put on the Biff, Primal Scream and some others then end of season paarty ! Yahoo

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:43 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:To go back to Numbers original post Rolling Eyes

Seen as how our home final was ermmm.... removed from us !   The Pro 12 final should be played in Glasgow next year.    But Numbers ffs not Amy MacDonald, lets have Biffy Clyro, who, after all, are band/composers of one of our theme songs - The Captain.       Maybe we could get AC/DC as well for Back in Black ?

Just like this years Final was played in Belfast because our home final was removed from us? Where does it stop?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:45 pm

Notch wrote:

Just like this years Final was played in Belfast because our home final was removed from us? Where does it stop?

Wales?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:12 pm

The irony of it is, I think if the rules had remained the same as they have been for the past few years and the league played out the same way... we would have had Glasgow making this decision regarding their 'home' final; Ravenhill, Belfast or Murrayfield, Edinburgh. Those are the two closest grounds to Glasgow they could have got at short notice that meet the old requirements and I just can't see how they could have avoided it being narrowed down to those two.

I'm not sure if the lessons of our saga in 2013 have been learned; Ulster had two weeks to find an appropriate venue for a 'home' final and get tickets sold, and that wasn't enough time for Casement Park to become an option due to it not being owned by any team or union in the league. So we had to go outside our city and bring our home final to our rivals ground. Ulster fans were just as indignant and outraged about that as various other fans were about the decision to change the format this year, but like the protests over the decision to change the rules this year it's because they hadn't thought it through. People thought we could have a home Final if we finished top, but that was never likely under the rules at that time. The old format realistically only allowed five teams to host their own Final in 2013, with Ulster only joining that club since then. Unlike Edinburgh, Glasgow weren't in that club then and they wouldn't be in it now. if people think Glasgow could have hammered out a deal with Kilmarnock FC, Celtic FC, Glasgow Rangers or the SFA to rent their ground AND got tickets on sale AND sold them quickly enough in the span of a week to have a final in Glasgow I think we're looking at the old status quo through seriously rose-tinted glasses. Only stadiums owned by rugby unions involved in the Pro12 could be secured at that short notice. Only rugby stadium which is big enough in Scotland for them to use for a Final is in Edinburgh, nearest stadium of the appropriate smaller size to sell out in that timeframe is in Belfast.

I've always found Glasgow fans criticism of the new rules ironic, because now they have a realistic chance of seeing a Pro12 final within the city of Glasgow and had it not changed there would not have been very much chance of that happening until Glasgow got the money together to expand their home stadium to 18000+.

I'm a supporter of Glasgow 2016 for the Pro12 final as well, as it happens. Now is the time for the league to capitalise on the interest generated by their league win. I think that will be an amazing weekend in one of the best cities for going out in the UK if it comes together, whether Glasgow make it or not. And we should thank the Pro12 for changing the rules to make a Glasgow final possible. I genuinely believe that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 10 Jun 2015, 7:34 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:TJ, you got a life ban from somewhere. That shocks me. Whistle

We're all very shocked laughing.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 11 Jun 2015, 9:56 am

...... yis are all still wrong though...... and mostly obnoxious!

Just doing me 'Keeping it going' duty....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

Notch wrote:The irony of it is, I think if the rules had remained the same as they have been for the past few years and the league played out the same way... we would have had Glasgow making this decision regarding their 'home' final; Ravenhill, Belfast or Murrayfield, Edinburgh. Those are the two closest grounds to Glasgow they could have got at short notice that meet the old requirements and I just can't see how they could have avoided it being narrowed down to those two.

Why wouldn't Rugby Park have met the old requirements?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Notch wrote:The irony of it is, I think if the rules had remained the same as they have been for the past few years and the league played out the same way... we would have had Glasgow making this decision regarding their 'home' final; Ravenhill, Belfast or Murrayfield, Edinburgh. Those are the two closest grounds to Glasgow they could have got at short notice that meet the old requirements and I just can't see how they could have avoided it being narrowed down to those two.

Doesn't it have an artificial surface? Not sure that would even suit the new requirements.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 11 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

Sin é wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

Doesn't it have an artificial surface? Not sure that would even suit the new requirements.

Same stuff as Cardiff and Saracens isn't it?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

Same stuff as Cardiff and Saracens isn't it?

And it gives Saracens at least a huge advantage. Cardiff are just terrible.

To prepare to play on that type of surface, teams would need more than a week's notice.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

Sin é wrote:

To prepare to play on that type of surface, teams would need more than a week's notice.

So, given that the likes of me and Lord Dowlias have been crucified on here for not bringing official evidence of the pro12 eligibility rules to the debate, I can only assume you are just about to upload a scanned copy of this ruling?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Sin é wrote:

So, given that the likes of me and Lord Dowlias have been crucified on here for not bringing official evidence of the pro12 eligibility rules to the debate, I can only assume you are just about to upload a scanned copy of this ruling?

I've no evidence. Just a guess that artificial surfaces might not be on as most if all the players would not be used to them.

I can also see a reason why (as much as it is possible) final games used be played in Rugby Union Grounds (benefitting a club/province) that have actually invested money in rugby as opposed to a soccer franchise.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm

Sin é wrote:

I've no evidence. Just a guess that artificial surfaces might not be on as most if all the players would not be used to them.

So all the way through the season it's fine for 11 of the 12 teams to regularly come and play on one. But not the final.

I can also see a reason why (as much as it is possible) final games used be played in Rugby Union Grounds (benefitting a club/province) that have actually invested money in rugby as opposed to a soccer franchise.

I used this reasoning recently when I was told that Cardiff City soccer stadium was eligible if Cardiff got to the final. But it was rubbished.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Sin é wrote:

So all the way through the season it's fine for 11 of the 12 teams to regularly come and play on one. But not the final.

I used this reasoning recently when I was told that Cardiff City soccer stadium was eligible if Cardiff got to the final. But it was rubbished.

It gives the team who are used to it an advantage. That is ok in a home league game (home games nearly always do have an advantage) - just not suitable for a Final.

All stadia over 18K would be eligible. Just that preferential treatment possible ( I agree) .
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next