The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyler Goodjohn Interview

2 posters

Go down

Tyler Goodjohn Interview Empty Tyler Goodjohn Interview

Post by hampo17 Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:18 am

By Stuart Brown

I was fortunate enough to interview Tyler ‘El Tornado’ Goodjohn earlier this week following his split from long-term trainer Peter Sims and announcement of a short break from the sport.

Goodjohn hails from Ely in Cambridgeshire and after an impressive amateur career capturing a national ABA title holds a professional record of 11-4 and is former English super lightweight Champion.

SB “We’ve just had an excellent weekend of boxing, with the Matchroom show, what are your thoughts?”

TG “I saw Mitchell, Selby and Joshua. I thought Lee Selby was unbelievable, really impressed with him, same with Joshua, he’s an absolute beast. People thought that Johnson was going to get beat but the way he beat him, he went 12 rounds with Klitscho. He almost made it look too easy which has gone against him with some people”.  

SB “Looking at the card, seeing your last opponent, what are your thoughts on the Hibbert vs Ryan
fight?”

TG “I heard Hibbert had put Ryan down twice and then to hear that Ryan had won, it was brilliant. I really like Ryan, he’s got losses on his record and he’s done it the hard way but now the hard work is paying off. He’s racked in some massive wins in his last three fights, it’s good to see the underdog come out on top. Not everyone can be a Mayweather. When I won the English title that was a massive night for me. It gives you the inspiration (Seeing the underdog win) to go on and do it yourself”.

SB “You’ve touched on it there, but what’s been the highlight of your professional career?”

TG “Winning the English title is my highlight. I’ve had hard fights all my career, I fought Tyron Nurse for the English title which I lost on points and then in my next fight won the title and proved to myself that I could do it. When you come into those fights – I was the away fighter, Boylan, was built up to win and that made it even better to win it. Our styles gel together, styles make fights.”

SB “I’ve seen that you’re taking a break from the sport. Could you tell me the main reasons for this and what the next step is?”

TG “I was meant to fight last Thursday 28 May. I was out at the MGM Marbella training and me and trainer Peter Sims had a real falling out. It’s one of those things that could not be rectified. I’ve been living away (In Essex) on and off for five years now, so I’ve decided to move back to Ely to be near my family. Me and my girlfriend are going to move back and start up a boxing/personal training thing (Warriors Workshop). I’m going to take a break from boxing for a few months and make my comeback. I’ve been taking a break, but it’s not been long and I’m already missing it. I think a forced break is good for me. I’ve had some injuries, I’m only 24, so got time on my side.

SB “Is it a permanent split?”

TG "Yeah it’s a permanent split."

SB “I’ve heard about the ‘Warrior’s Workshop’, could you tell me more about it?”

TG “I’m offering all sorts, personal training, couples, and pairings. I’ve had a lot of people interested. People get to a certain age, say 18 plus and get a bit intimidated about going into a boxing gym. I always say at the end of the day you’ve got to start somewhere. We’re not all good at boxing straight away it’s taken years and years to get to a high level. Offering 1 and 1 people will be less intimidated. If groups of friends want to come and learn. Boxing is booming at the moment and everyone wants to come and learn. Everyone has their own goals. Even if they just go for one amateur fight or white-collar fight it’s good to have that goal in mind”.

SB “What are your thoughts about returning to the ring?”

TG “I’ve moved back up to Ely and around my friends and family, so I can go back into training around my friends and family which should make things easier. I’m already missing it”.

SB “Who’s inspired your boxing career?”

TG “My parents. I come from a humble background, working class and they are very, very hard working people, they’ve supported me from day one they have never questioned anything. When I moved up to Essex they helped me with money when things were tight. If anything there were times where I said I don’t think I can do this anymore, but they said yes you can. They’ve gone without things for my career and to help me that’s all you need at the end of the day.”

SB “Where does your nickname come from (El Tornado)?”

TG “It actually came from my amateur trainer, I was with him for 8 years, he loves me to bits. I still see him a lot and we’re so close. I’m a good fighter now, but as an amateur I was an absolute warmonger, I’ve started to box a little but more now!”

SB “What is your favourite fight of all time?”

TG “Got to be Ward vs Gatti one, don’t know how you can beat that, two absolute warriors. Gatti is my favourite fighter. I like the underdog. As much as I admire Mayweather and people like that the way they box and skills, but I love the underdog. I’m rooting for that guy. I think there’s so much more to boxing that people don’t realise. There’s such a big mental element, I’ve been there myself, so up and down. I love Gatti, I just think he was guaranteed to give his all in there every time”.
SB “Tell me a random fact about yourself?”

TG “My favourite type of music is eighties music! For my 21st birthday I had everyone in 80s style fancy dress”.

SB “What advice do you have for people thinking of getting involved in the sport?”

TG “Just believe in yourself, in any sport, particularly boxing. You have all these kids at an early age in boxing then they fall out of it or stop believing. So many kids and even pros just don’t believe in themselves. Anything is possible, just train hard. Like me, I was never going to be a world champion, but I was going to make myself proud and box in big shows and get a belt whatever happened. No matter how big your goal is you’ve just got to go for it, train hard, train hard and keep determined. Everyone has a challenge in their life. My biggest worry was that I didn’t want to look back in my 30s and 40s and thought I should have trained a little harder to get that belt. Now I’ve got that English title I can look back in years to come and show my kids that I worked hard and I’ve got something to show for it. It’s worth more than any money, it was always about getting a belt”.

SB “What’s your ultimate goal in the sport?”

TG “I’ve always said, if I could fight for the British title, win the British title that would be my world title, that’s my dream. I’ll be coming back at welter weight. I’ve made some mistakes making light welter and done some stupid things to make the weight. I felt like the last fight I really let myself down. I’ve just got to learn from that. I’m just 24. I’d gone through absolute hell to make ten stone, but the will to get the belt overtook all sense and I want to come back and follow that dream”.

Tyler gave an open and honest account of his plans for the future. He’s down to earth and frankly his hard working attitude is a real inspriation. I wish him all the best with his goal of becoming British Champion. 

http://www.v2boxing.co.uk/#!Tyler-Goodjohn-Interview/c1xmj/557016de0cf2df2eae315330

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tyler Goodjohn Interview Empty Re: Tyler Goodjohn Interview

Post by sab275 Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

Great stuff, looking forward to the next one

sab275

Back to top Go down