The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV

+17
Soldier_Of_Fortune
shenglong2015
Eyetoldyouso
catchweight
RanjitPatel
megansgoodlookingdad
Coxy001
Derbymanc
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
sab275
Lance
TopHat24/7
wheelchair1991
Pedro147
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV - Page 3 Empty Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV

Post by Pedro147 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Cyclone Promotions are delighted to announce that Carl Frampton’s IBF World Super Bantamweight Title defence against Alejandro Gonzalez Jr. will be shown live and exclusively in the UK on ITV at 9.45pm UK time on Saturday 18th July.

The Frampton v Gonzalez Jr. World Title bout takes place in El Paso, Texas at the Don Haskins Centre and will be broadcast live on ITV [main channel] from 9.45pm UK time. Coverage of the undercard to Frampton vs Gonzalez Jr. will commence at 9pm on ITV4.

Undefeated Frampton, 20 (14) – 0, is already an established star in the UK and Ireland and the Belfast man is now set for superstardom on both sides of the Atlantic as his second World Title defence will be broadcast live on terrestrial television in both the USA, on CBS, and the UK, on ITV.

Alejandro Gonzalez Jr., 25 (15) – 1 – 2, is one of the brightest up and coming boxers in Mexico. The twenty-two year old Tijuana native follows in the footsteps of his famous father Alejandro Gonzalez Sr. when he challenges for the World title in Texas on 18th July. Gonzalez Sr. famously dethroned WBC Featherweight Champion Kevin Kelley in San Antonio, Texas in 1995 to become champion of the world. The tall and dangerous Gonzalez Jr., ranked 13th with the IBF, will have the majority of the support in El Paso for his first World Title challenge.

Belfast’s Carl Frampton is one of the hottest talents in world boxing and has continuously thrilled fans in the UK and Ireland with his explosive performances as the IBF World Super Bantamweight champion. Frampton won the World Title in Belfast in September 2014 in front of 16,000 ecstatic home fans. His first title defence against the USA’s Chris Avalos in February attracted a terrestrial television audience of over two million viewers in the UK and Ireland on ITV and UTV Ireland.

IBF Super Bantamweight king Carl Frampton said, “I am delighted to be once again defending my World Title live on ITV on the 18th of July against Alejandro Gonzalez Jr. It is brilliant news that this fight will be shown live on ITV at primetime in the UK and live on CBS in the USA. Alejandro Gonzalez Jr. is a young and dangerous Mexican challenger and I am expecting a tough fight. I feel I am the best Super Bantamweight in the world and I am excited to box in front of a huge television audience in the UK and USA.”

Frampton’s manager Barry McGuigan said, “This is excellent news that Carl Frampton is defending his World Title live on ITV at primetime in the UK. Frampton has all the ingredients needed to become the leading figure in British and Irish boxing; he is a world-class boxer with a brilliant personality who has a fanatical fan base from all over the UK and Ireland. Alejandro Gonzalez Jr. is a hungry and dangerous young Mexican fighter who will be travelling to El Paso, Texas to rip that belt from Frampton. This is going to be a cracking contest for the millions of fans tuning in on both sides of the Atlantic.”

Niall Sloane, ITV Director of Sport, said, “We're delighted to be on board for the US debut of such an exciting young British sporting talent and we look forward to bringing our viewers another evening of top class boxing action."

Former World Heavyweight Title challenger Chris Arreola features in the chief support bout for Frampton vs Gonzalez Jr in El Paso. The Californian puncher will box an opponent to be named shortly as he attempts to regain his status as one of the world’s top Heavyweight contenders.

Frampton vs Gonzalez Jr. will be broadcast live on ITV from 9.45pm. Undercard coverage and build up to this IBF World Super Bantamweight Title fight will begin at 9pm on ITV4.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV - Page 3 Empty Re: Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:57 am

Frampton should tell Baz to sling his hook and take Shane with him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV - Page 3 Empty Re: Frampton v Gonzalez Jr - live on ITV

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:05 pm

Think Shane is a good trainer so should stick with him. Framps just needs a reign on Baz. Don't think Baz is acting entirely independently and in Framps' exclusive interest.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:10 pm

Framps has talent but he got a little exposed, didn't he?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

He's going to have fits now that Quigg is on his way to securing a megafight:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/394921-talks-begin-for-eventual-guillermo-rigondeaux-scott-quigg-clash

But yeah what Barry Mac is doing for Frampton is now doubt the right thing... No... Wait! He's not going to earn a quarter of what Quigg will earn for stepping up and facing Rigo!

Great knockout at the weekend by Quigg. Carl who? Britain has a new superstar.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm

Hopefully Britains new superstar will win a real world title against Rigondeaux (he has no chance)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm

A bit of an overreaction here. Two flash knockdown and he got up to dominate. Quigg's performance was surprising but like got too confident and obviously underestimated Quigg's power. Shame as the legions of Hearn fanboys will over rate Quigg's because of that.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:47 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:A bit of an overreaction here. Two flash knockdown and he got up to dominate. Quigg's performance was surprising but like got too confident and obviously underestimated Quigg's power. Shame as the legions of Hearn fanboys will over rate Quigg's because of that.

Great post.

I am by no means underestimating Quigg. He thumped Martinez in that second round but he looke sh1t in the first round. A better boxer wouldn't have just rushed in on Quigg like that.

Frampton wasn't great but he got the job done. He most likely underestimated Gonzales, he won't make that mistake with Quigg.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:51 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think Shane is a good trainer so should stick with him.  Framps just needs a reign on Baz. Don't think Baz is acting entirely independently and in Framps' exclusive interest.

I said this with Enzo Calzaghe and Billy Graham....But what makes you think Shane is a good trainer ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 1:43 pm

Good point, don't know how much of it is Framps' talent rather than what Shane has 'trained' into him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

Or everyone overestimated Framptons quality in the first place Ranjit?

Quigg wiped out Kiko in impressive fashion (A lot better than Framps did) Framps was on the deck twice in the 1st and complaining throughout and then gave the weight excuse.

Bout time Quigg got some respect from some people as it was a great victory, Framps (and his fans) need to suck it up a bit and admit he was underwhelming. Bout time the pair of them stepped it up again to prove they are worthy of holding a portion of the belt (Rigos no.1 no doubt)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 2:45 pm

Come on Derby, don't remember anyone saying Quigg fans should be giving Frampton credit when they were bashing him after he won his world title. Let's remember that he did win it and not draw and get given it.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

I haven't really seen anyone bash Frampton (apart from after he turned the Quigg fight down.) As he is a brilliant talent who (in all honesty) had an off night on Saturday (Bit like Brook/Jones 1, looking ahead instead of whats in front of you) and will be back to normal.

Even as a Quigg fan (he's from my neck of the woods) he's deserved all the stick he's been given about opponents and the such but he deserves the plaudits for the way he dealt with Kiko. Where he goes next will be the telling factor (Can't see it being Frampton as in promoters eyes he's probably slipped a bit on Saturday) and hopefully will be another step up.

Still think one of them should sign for Rigo cause your gonna get plaudits just for signing, never mind if you actually do well.

Frampton isn't a hype job/finished etc but Quigg isn't as much as an overated bum that some people wish to label him.

Oh and the crowd for him on Saturday was fantastic, have him fighting there a lot more will give him the fan base in no time.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:19 pm

At first I was hopeful that Frampton's vulnerability on Saturday night might make the playing field a little more level between the two. Now, I worry that Quigg's emphatic win and Frampton's shakier showing (although I thought it was a great fight) just pushes them further apart. Boxers like any other athletes can have an off night but boxers seem to be punished far more than others. I worry Frampton's off night will be used as a stick to beat him with. Ridiculous really because who's to say it won't swing back the other way in 6 months time.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:20 pm

The stick would be smaller if he hadn't tried on the stupid weight excuse.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:26 pm

He should of just been honest. He didn't box well and Gonzalez boxed better than expected (though very dirty)

He never mentioned weight when he was smashing folk in Belfast.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

Exactly.

'Off night' is a perectly valid excuse, frankly.

Problem was this was Baz's big attempt at major exposure, terrestrial in UK & US etc. Makes it harder to show a little humility.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

Yeah I don't know why he didn't put the 'I came up off the canvas and proved I'm a champion blah blah' spin on it, to be honest.

He's 5'5 isn't he? Can't be that hard to make 122lbs when you're the size of a garden gnome.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

I don't like his chances at Feather. It is like Ricky Hatton at Welter all over again.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:44 pm

You would like to think if some good is to come out of Saturday night it will be to convince those involved to make the Frampton Quigg fight sooner rather than later. If we take Frampton’s claims of being tight at the weight at face value that suggests the window where the two will be in the same division is pretty narrow. Even if we do accept this as a face saving excuse Saturday should have convinced all involved that leaving things to grow and develop in a sport like boxing can be a dangerous strategy, simply too many things can upset the applecart.

Have no interest into getting into the who is to blame nonsense as to the fight not happening previously, but as Truss as rightly said seven figure purses in the lower weights are pretty rare. All involved would be wise to take the bird in the hand in this instance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 20 Jul 2015, 6:50 pm

Like Rowley says Frampton is every bit as fake as a world champion as Quigg is for as long as Rigondeaux is about, what's the actual difference between the WBA regular and IBF when you are not the main man.

The fights at the weekend told us two things; Frampton isn't as good as we all thought and is vulnerable, his power has been shown to be wanting on occasions while it's safe to say Quigg hits significantly harder than most of us thought. Quigg being dropped by Jamie Arthur years ago doesn't have the same relevance as Frampton being dropped twice in his last fight, it's often true that you're only as good as your last fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 20 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

Dont think the fight itself will hurt Frampton. Exciting fight on terrestial tv will work out well for him.

However his power has been overrated and his chin looked a bit suspect. I dont think hes as good as hes been sold to be.

On a side note, Kiko Martinez is poor. Lets put both guys victories against him into perspective

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:10 am

Wonder if 'chinny' question marks will begin to develop and surround Carl's career......?

Yes they were slightly flash knockdowns, but equally getting put down by a jab from a guy with only 15 kos from 25 wins isn't great news.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 21 Jul 2015, 10:24 am

I agree his chin looked shakey and I am concerned about it. No doubt Quigg "could" knock him out.

I just hope that Frampton is able to out box Quigg and show his power the respect he deserves.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3