The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

+46
Kingshu
brennomac
clivemcl
St John The Enforcer
Geen sport voor watjes
Hazel Sapling
GoodinTightSpaces
LordDowlais
theslosty
eirebilly
JmD
VinceWLB
toml
the-goon
LondonTiger
LeinsterFan4life
wayne
profitius
Rory_Gallagher
neilthom7
The Great Aukster
Sin é
Don Alfonso
rodders
Marshes
Engine#4
marty2086
munkian
wolfball
Artful_Dodger
carpet baboon
geoff999rugby
GunsGerms
ME-109
George Carlin
PhilBB
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
Pete330v2
Chunky Norwich
Notch
Golden
asoreleftshoulder
whocares
thebandwagonsociety
50 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 2 Empty Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by Sin é Wed 05 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

What it says in the title - a place to put all bits of news not worth starting a thread for the Four Proud Provinces of Ireland such as new signings, interviews that maybe of interest to others etc.

I've just added on 17 as its not a huge thread.

Last edited by Sin é on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by Notch Thu 20 Aug 2015, 3:44 pm

As I recall, MOC tried to deflect blame for his poor performance onto the Player Management Programme (which he would have known about when taking the job) and Schmidt pointed out that he was able to be successful with the exact same restrictions.

Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but when you try and deflect the blame onto other people publicly you can't really expect those same people to come out fighting your corner.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Aug 2015, 5:55 pm

The problem with MOC is that he is useless at progressing young talent. At a time when Leinster needed to rebuild following retirements of the golden generation he was a poor choice as coach. Saying that he took MOC off our hands so thanks for that lads.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Aug 2015, 9:31 pm

Notch wrote:As I recall, MOC tried to deflect blame for his poor performance onto the Player Management Programme (which he would have known about when taking the job) and Schmidt pointed out that he was able to be successful with the exact same restrictions.

Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but when you try and deflect the blame onto other people publicly you can't really expect those same people to come out fighting your corner.

Schmidt did in his arse have the same restrictions. I recall Leo Cullen going for elective surgery just before a 6Ns when Ireland could really have done with him. Not only that, he was allowed recruit Brad Thorn to cover for him. Leo was magically fit after the 6Ns and Brad stuck around and Leinster went onto win the Heineken Cup. And of course, there were not as many Leinster players starting for Ireland as there were since Schmidt became coach.

MOC was also without Healy, O'Brien for most of this year as well as well as no Nacewa & Sexton. Jono Gibbs left and MOC had to deal with a rookie forwards coach, not to mention losing Greg Feek & Richie Murphy fulltime.

Nucifora & Schmidt called a press conference about it out of the blue and tore into him - that was a very stupid thing to do because no decent coach will now touch Leinster with a barge poll.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 20 Aug 2015, 9:56 pm

Sin...MOC ain't no Schmidt.... simples. It ain't complicated. Some coaches just have IT and others fall into the general soup of normality...career coaches but no more than that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:21 am

Was Kane Douglas just completely disinterested here? Don't think many people would have picked him for the Wallaby squad on his Leinster form or lack there of. Could say the same for Kirchener but he seems to at least try.

Leinster have made a number of poor (in hindsight) NIQ signings in the last few years. Its an area that really needs to improved on.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:39 am

Leinster team to face Ulster

15. Billy Dardis
14. Darragh Fanning
13. Ben Te'o
12. Noel Reid
11. Adam Byrne
10. Cathal Marsh
9. Luke McGrath
1. Peter Dooley
2. James Tracy
3. Jamie Hagan
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. Tom Denton
6. Dominic Ryan CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Tony Ryan

Replacements TBC

Surprised Moore or Furlong aren't starting to get a few minutes. Could have been useful to get Fitz a bit more game time too.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:42 am

Didn't Moore get pulled as a precaution - read somewhere his foot is in one of those moonboots?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:50 am

SecretFly wrote:Sin...MOC ain't no Schmidt.... simples.  It ain't complicated.  Some coaches just have IT and others fall into the general soup of normality...career coaches but no more than that.

Did I say he was? My point is that Nucifora & Schmidt had no business calling a press conference to have a go at a provincial coach if they ever wanted to recruit a decent Leinster coach again.

I have a lot of question marks over Nucifora - he seems to be a bit of a devisive figure (or has been in the past in Australian rugby) and I'm not sure how diplomatic he is (though in fairness to him, he has got 7s up and running).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 21 Aug 2015, 10:15 am

rodders wrote:Didn't Moore get pulled as a precaution - read somewhere his foot is in one of those moonboots?

Ah your right. Both Furlong and Moore are missing it through injury.

http://www.the42.ie/marty-moore-ireland-leinster-moon-boot-2284397-Aug2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:01 am

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Sin...MOC ain't no Schmidt.... simples.  It ain't complicated.  Some coaches just have IT and others fall into the general soup of normality...career coaches but no more than that.

Did I say he was? My point is that Nucifora & Schmidt had no business calling a press conference to have a go at a provincial coach if they ever wanted to recruit a decent Leinster coach again.

I have a lot of question marks over Nucifora - he seems to be a bit of a devisive figure (or has been in the past in Australian rugby) and I'm not sure how diplomatic he is (though in fairness to him, he has got 7s up and running).

Well Cheika,Schmidt and MoC weren't exactly high profile names when Leinster appointed them so I doubt the Leinster branch are all that worried about scaring off big names.Cullen follows the pattern we'e established although it's definitely come sooner than expected.

We'll wait an see how he does before judging him,he has the benefit of having worked with 2 very successful coaches who are now excelling internationally while also having worked with one poor coach so he should have a good idea of what does and doesn't work for Leinster.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

The big names could survive a public dressing down on reputation. An unknown/ smaller name won't.

Its really amusing to see the difference in commentary about Foley elevation to coach and Cullen. Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:23 pm

Sin é wrote:The big names could survive a public dressing down on reputation. An unknown/ smaller name won't.

Its really amusing to see the difference in commentary about Foley elevation to coach and Cullen. Smile

Is it?What's the difference,most people recognise that Cullen is a risk and it's earlier than would be expected but the decision has been made and we'll just have to see how it goes.
As for Foley I think most people recognised that he had served his time and was the obvious next in line after Penney left,I think any perceived difference in commentary could be down to the fact that Cullen is replacing a coach whose tenure had brought about a decline in performances and results while Foley succeeded a coach who seemed to be making progress.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:33 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Well Cheika,Schmidt and MoC weren't exactly high profile names when Leinster appointed them

Seriously?
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

PhilBB wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Well Cheika,Schmidt and MoC weren't exactly high profile names when Leinster appointed them

Seriously?

Yep seriously Cheika had been a head coach in Italy with Padova and Randwick in Oz,neither very big jobs,Schmidt had never been a head coach and MoC was a nominal head coach at Tigers but really he was an assistant,obviously they all had more experience than Cullen but none of them were big names before taking over Leinster.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:46 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Yep seriously Cheika had been a head coach in Italy with Padova and Randwick in Oz,neither very big jobs,Schmidt had never been a head coach and MoC was a nominal head coach at Tigers but really he was an assistant,obviously they all had more experience than Cullen but none of them were big names before taking over Leinster.

Schmidt was well known for his profile at ASM. MOC too. They were both high profile in the game of rugby. Cheika was too busy making himself a millionaire to coach rugby full time, in fairness, before moving to Dublin.

But the other two? Very high profile. MOC with Kubota, Brumbies, Aussie A. Come on, both were well known.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm

MOC was well known for not being very good. Just look at any Leicester form and see what they think of him. They were delighted we took him off them.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm

PhilBB wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Schmidt was well known for his profile at ASM. MOC too. They were both high profile in the game of rugby. Cheika was too busy making himself a millionaire to coach rugby full time, in fairness, before moving to Dublin.

But the other two? Very high profile. MOC with Kubota, Brumbies, Aussie A. Come on, both were well known.

We're using different definitions of high profile,if your profile doesn't transcend the league or country you have coached in then you aren't high profile in my view.I had never heard of MoC or Schmidt before the came to Leinster and I follow the game reasonably closely without being a complete rugby nerd.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm

PhilBB wrote:

Are you the infamous PhilBB from Gwlad?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 1:27 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

We're using different definitions of high profile,if your profile doesn't transcend the league or country you have coached in then you aren't high profile in my view.I had never heard of MoC or Schmidt before the came to Leinster and I follow the game reasonably closely without being a complete rugby nerd.

Schmidt is in the clip consoling/minding Cudmore after his fight with POC down in Thomond Park!

Schmidt had two stints as a Backs Coach with the Blues & Clermont (winning Top 14) so I don't know why you would not consider him to be fairly high profile.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:06 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Right. I see. I didn't think it was only a 'rugby nerd' who would have worked out that the coaching history of those chaps would have made them well known within the game.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:06 pm

Sin é wrote:

Yep.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

PhilBB wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Right. I see. I didn't think it was only a 'rugby nerd' who would have worked out that the coaching history of those chaps would have made them well known within the game.

This is where our differing interpretations comes in,I don't think "well known within the game" = high profile.Just using a dictionary definition high profile means "attracting much attention or publicity",I don't think any of the previous Leinster coaches could be said to have done that before they joined us.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:16 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
This is where our differing interpretations comes in,I don't think "well known within the game" = high profile.Just using a dictionary definition high profile means "attracting much attention or publicity",I don't think any of the previous Leinster coaches could be said to have done that before they joined us.

Those who make the decisions on who to employ as Head Coach, however, may have scratched a little deeper below the surface.

Suffice to say, I'd believe that many (possessing more than a passing interest in the game) would have thought 'I wonder who coaches ASM to play such great rugby'. As I'm not sure what you consider 'high profile' (maybe an appearance on Irish TV?) then I can agree to your note of differing interpretations.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

PhilBB wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Those who make the decisions on who to employ as Head Coach, however, may have scratched a little deeper below the surface.

Suffice to say, I'd believe that many (possessing more than a passing interest in the game) would have thought 'I wonder who coaches ASM to play such great rugby'. As I'm not sure what you consider 'high profile' (maybe an appearance on Irish TV?) then I can agree to your note of differing interpretations.

I would hope so,that's why I'm not too worried about the whole Schmidt/Nucifora thing scaring a way high profile coaches,we don't really go for them.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:35 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Yep.

Used to hear a lot about you on Munsterfans. There used to be a couple of Munsterfans who used to post on Gwlad. Think you've banned them all now so we don't hear anything anymore.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:37 pm

Someone from munsterfans and someone from Gwlad. It's a meeting of tiny minds! Very Happy

Now all we need is one of the absolute clowns who posts on UAFC...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:41 pm

Sin é wrote:

Used to hear a lot about you on Munsterfans. There used to be a couple of Munsterfans who used to post on Gwlad. Think you've banned them all now so we don't hear anything anymore.

thomond78? The sailing coffee maker? Dr. Disingenous.

I think that the others flounced
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Sin é wrote:

thomond78? The sailing coffee maker? Dr. Disingenous.

I think that the others flounced

Thomond78 is still going strong on MF. Don't remember the others. Could have different user names now. Did Sewa post on Gwlad?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm

Sin é wrote:
Thomond78 is still going strong on MF. Don't remember the others. Could have different user names now. Did Sewa post on Gwlad?

Not under that name. From time to time, T78's tweets pollute my feed.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Not under that name. From time to time, T78's tweets pollute my feed.

I gather there was no love lost between you. Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

Notch wrote:Someone from munsterfans and someone from Gwlad. It's a meeting of tiny minds! Very Happy

I like Baggy Trousers on UAFC - he is very funny. I see he signs himself off as a diehard Munsterfan now - no wonder I like him Cool
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:Someone from munsterfans and someone from Gwlad. It's a meeting of tiny minds! Very Happy

I like Baggy Trousers on UAFC - he is very funny. I see he signs himself off as a diehard Munsterfan now - no wonder I like him Cool

Whilst he can be fairly funny if usually inappropriately funny he does strike me as a thoroughly horrible kind of ape. I do still enjoy the insultingly bullish nature of his humour from time to time

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:18 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 02 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm

Rumours (examiner.ie) that Donnacha O'Callaghan is leaving Munster for 2 year contract elsewhere. Whispers that it is Worchester. Best of luck to him. He is wasted at Munster at the moment.

Really surprising, but what a player and a gent. Was part of one of the best 2nd row partnerships for the last decade.

Only 1 player left now from Munster's 2006 Heineken Cup win (Tomas O'Leary).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 02 Sep 2015, 1:58 pm

Sorry to see him go if true. Undervalued. Total professional. Never tried to cruise through games. Always hungry to pay his way in effort and sweat.

Who is wasting him at Munster?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:11 pm

I'm sure he'll be missed in the squad. Great servant and looks like he still has a hunger to be involved.

I wonder will John Madigan be bumped up to a development contract. He certainly looks like he is ready.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:Sorry to see him go if true.  Undervalued.  Total professional.  Never tried to cruise through games.  Always hungry to pay his way in effort and sweat.

Who is wasting him at Munster?

You know, his old buddy 'look after his old buddies/he'd be afraid to drop one of his old buddies' Axel Foley Very Happy

He was mainly being used for B&I Cup stuff and not playing enough I'd say.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

profitius wrote:I'm sure he'll be missed in the squad. Great servant and looks like he still has a hunger to be involved.

I wonder will John Madigan be bumped up to a development contract. He certainly looks like he is ready.

McCarthy is also highly rated and is a bit further on in his development.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm

Big fan of DOC. Like a big angry caveman at times, which I loved, but has to be one of the most disciplined players in the Provinces.
I did think he must be close to retirement, but fair play to him in getting to play out his career with another team. Hopefully it's a great experience for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:44 pm

Doc is like Stringer a fitness fanatic and will easily keep going for a number of years. Sad to see him go was excellent for us and Ireland. Completely mad, a great laugh and a complete gent. His family looked after my sister for the Australia lions tour when she was out there. His Mam is some person bringing up the O'Callaghan boys on her own. Favourite match was the HC game against Leicester in Welford road. He hammered jonno up and down the pitch.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm

Sin é wrote:
profitius wrote:I'm sure he'll be missed in the squad. Great servant and looks like he still has a hunger to be involved.

McCarthy is also highly rated and is a bit further on in his development.

Yeah McCarthy is a good prospect too. I havn't seen much of either but theres more hype around Madigan, probably due to his size and strength.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 04 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

Munster v Treviso team: John Madigan gets to start along side Dave Foley (who is back from a long injury layoff).

Munster: Felix Jones; Andrew Conway, David Johnston, Rory Scannell, Shane Monahan; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, BJ Botha; John Madigan, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander - capt.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Robin Copeland, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Tyler Bleyendaal, Cian Bohane.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:12 pm

This kid David Johnston at centre is meant to be a prospect isn't he?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:17 pm

Sin é wrote:Munster v Treviso team:  John Madigan gets to start along side Dave Foley (who is back from a long injury layoff).

Munster: Felix Jones; Andrew Conway, David Johnston, Rory Scannell, Shane Monahan; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, BJ Botha; John Madigan, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander - capt.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Robin Copeland, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Tyler Bleyendaal, Cian Bohane.

Meh...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

Good to see Sherry and DOC2 (or is he just DOC now) back.

Notch wrote:This kid David Johnston at centre is meant to be a prospect isn't he?

He is a utility back. Seems to play everywhere in the backline. Smart and he is skillful player but not big, which I hope won't go against him.

His 18 year old brother, Bill, played a few games for Munster in pre season, if thats who you mean? But David J is a good prospect also.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm

The U20 interpros are also starting today.

Ulster v Munster
Connacht v Leinster
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

Notch wrote:This kid David Johnston at centre is meant to be a prospect isn't he?

Its Bill Johnston who is the big prospect at out half. Only 18 and has already started v London Irish for Munster in preseason.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

Sin é wrote:

Its Bill Johnston who is the big prospect at out half. Only 18 and has already started v London Irish for Munster in preseason.

Saw him in the LI game. Looks a prospect, calm enough under pressure, doesnt make too many mistakes. Am sure we will have another year of Keatley blowing hot and cold and making too many mistakes in the big games and Foley sticking with him throughout.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 06 Sep 2015, 1:40 am

Like I said... Keatley completely aimless for Munster useless until Tyler came on

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next