The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest performances you ever saw!!

+25
BALTIMORA
Fists of Fury
Young_Towzer
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Michaels, Sean
superflyweight
mckay1402
Sir. badgerhands
Liam_Main
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
samevans1
Mind the windows Tino.
Scottrf
The Galveston Giant
6oldenbhoy
HumanWindmill
The_Phenom
ONETWOFOREVER
Rowley
Adam D
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Greatest performances you ever saw!! Empty Greatest performances you ever saw!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:20 am

Maybe for one night somebody shone like never before or maybe a great fighter was truly exceptional....These are my great performances I've seen in my lifetime.....Remember I'm only a young pup!!

NUNN vs Tate....Tate was an olympic gold medallist and a talented champion and he got absolutely out thought, outboxed and devastated by a complete performance from a guy who under-achieved!!

CHAVEZ vs Rosario.....The night I met my Wife but I won't hold that against JC...Rosario destroyed the no 1 light in Bramble with an awesome display...Then got slammed against the ropes and basically told he was getting battered and that he was going to like it...Awesome..

CURRY vs Mccallum...Yep he lost to the lottery punch but those four rounds were Curry at his awesome best..Beautiful Boxing my advice log off youtube before the fifth..

DURAN vs Hagler...Yep my old rolling Mate....Watch the amount of times Duran bluffs Hagler he's coming in makes Hagler commit...then takes a step back and counters..Sly old dog although Tommy always rolls him..

BUSTER vs Tyson....For one fight Buster committed himself and showed the talent he always had...

STARLING vs Honey..9-0 on my card and a very good educational guide to disarming a thug who thought he could disrespect you by just wading in...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Greatest performances you ever saw!! Empty Re: Greatest performances you ever saw!!

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:23 am

Good thread but this is more of a greatest upsets than a greatest performance mind

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Greatest performances you ever saw!! Empty Re: Greatest performances you ever saw!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:24 am

Chavez was favorite.....and Nunn-Tate was pick em..

So hardly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:24 am

I feel that this is like the general ignorance round in "IQ" where I am going to suggest something and an alarm will go off!

Anyway, my nomination is the Calzaghe vs Lacey fight. We always knew that Joe was good but that night he was incredible.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

Would agree with Douglas Tyson, easy to say Tyson didn't prepare properly but he was still fighting a 42-1 underdog and had the aura of invincibility. Douglas did not just wim but beat him from pillar to post.

To be totally partisan would add Naz against Belcastro. Belcastro was a well respected and seasoned euro champion and Naz was a kid with something like 11 fights and many were saying it was too much too soon. Naz made a mockery of this beating him as he pleased and not losing a round. A tantalising glimpse of what Naz could have been and a staggering performance from one so young.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

Don't think I've seen that fight Rowley......I'll watch it sometime..

Calzaghe-Lacey was a great performance from Calzaghe...

No Honey-Curry yet.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

The greatest performance I have seen?

Roy Jones Jnr v Pazienza

Roy dominated the crazy Vinny Paz and added a great finish.

Arguillo v Mancini

Alexsis at his beat. Pure technical brilliance.

Lennox Lewis v Hasim Rahman 2

Lewis showed why Rahman was lucky to beat him 7 months earlier in South Africa. Great performance, great ko.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

Good point although I wouldnt of said Busters performance was great just more shear determination than a boxing masterclass. Im too young to remember half of these unfortunalty but one of the first I remember was Lennox destroying Razor in a fight many said he did not have the skill or experience to win

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:30 am

Mayweather vs Gatti - At the time I was fairly new to boxing so didn't understand that Gatti was not at his best but Mayweather was simply phenomenal that night, punch perfect. Greatest display of boxing I have ever seen.

Duran vs Barkley - An old fighter operating well above his prime weight schooled the very dangerous Barkley.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

Never rated Rahman onetwo.....All the fighters in my list were world class..

Thought Lewis best performance was Holy 1.......

Pazienza was a blown up lightweight..Hoppo was Jones greatest performance for me..

Horses for courses though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

Mayweather was good that night...although I never rated Gatti

Thought Barkley was average and over achieved also..also thought he won 115-112.....

But good performance by the roller...you're right.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:37 am

Never rated Rahman onetwo.....All the fighters in my list were world class..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you should clarify your article a bit more. The title asks what the greatest performance we have ever seen is. Tate world class????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

Lets talk about why the Irish tried to steal Jack Dempsey as 1 of them. Not just me saying this Tyson thinks so to.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

Difficult, this one, since it depends very much on interpretation. Greatest win ? Greatest upset ? Most devastating ?

I'll opt ( this time, ) for the most complete showcase of boxing, fighting, durabilty and everything else, all coming together in one neat little package. Eder Jofre's US debut against Jose Medel was spellbinding. Brilliant boxing from range, ferocious infighting, heavy hitting - from both men - tremendous stamina and durability, and a battle of wills and generalship. I didn't see it at the time, but it falls within my lifetime so I'll plump for this one.

If anybody hasn't seen it, the whole fight can be found at youtube or Daily Motion ( can't remember which, ) and I'd urge you to check it out. You won't be disappointed.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Lets talk about why the Irish tried to steal Jack Dempsey as 1 of them. Not just me saying this Tyson thinks so to.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_%22Nonpareil%22_Dempsey

Definitely Irish...

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

Dempsey's merciless destruction of Jess Willard was the greatest Youtube performance iv ever seen

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:54 am

Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo
Muhammed Ali vs Cleveland Williams
Archie Moore vs Yvon Durelle
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

Tate was world class....All I'm saying is that in my opinion beating a world class operator etc by a world class display for me beats beating someone ordinary..Or in Duran's case nearly beating!!

Don't have to clarify anything..Your opinion is welcome..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

Sanchez vs Gomez.
Ali vs Foreman had greatness written all over it. Not his best boxing wise, but overcame so much to win by knockout.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:25 am

Joe Louis v Max Schmeling. Second fight. The whole atmosphere surrounding it and Joe at his brutal and destructive best. Awesome. I wasn't there, by the way.

Riddick Bowe v Holyfield. First fight. Big Daddy never quite reached those heights again. But a gutsy and skillful performance from Riddick.

Ali v Foreman. Obvious reasons.

Barrera v Morales. First fight. Both guys were incredible.

Anything by Ricardo Lopez for pure brilliance.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

To my shame, I completely forgot Sanchez v Gomez, Scott. Given the high stakes and the quality of each fighter I'd say that it trumps even my Jofre v Medel pick.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Sanchez - Gomez.....was great although like Rosario if you took Gomez shot he became ordinary..

Ali-Foreman..great shout..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

JONES-Toney.
MAYWEATHER-Corrales.
CALZAGHE-Lacy.
HOPKINS-Pavlik.
WHITAKER-Chavez.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

For a more homely feel, how about Eubank v Benn 1. Chris survived a hellish night with Nigel and gave us a glimpse of just what a skilled and courageous boxer he was.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

I see MTWT has nominated Louis for the second Schmeling fight - with that in mind, I reckon their first fight is a good shout for Schmeling. Crippled Louis with that straight right over the top of Louis' jab all night. Schmeling was supposed to be washed up and in for a hiding but he systematically dismantled Louis and finished the job clinically in the twelfth.

Have always considered Holyfield-Tyson I as a great performance. I know plenty will jump on the 'Tyson was over the hill' bandwagon, but the fact is so was Holyfield, and to a greater extent. Everything considered, it was a brilliant performance.

I think Toney has to be Jones' greatest moment. 'Lights Out' was universally regarded as a top three pound for pound fighter at the time and, at best, he won two rounds that night.

Hearns-Cuevas, anyone? For me this is the most frightening of Hearns' performances, not sure I can see too many Welterweights ever beating him on this night. Also not sure there could ever be another man at 147 lb who could reduce someone as ferocious as Cuevas to looking gun-shy, but that's exactly what Hearns managed to do.

On the domestic front I'd nominate the first fight between Conteh and Finnegan. Excellent battle but the maturity of Conteh's performance is to be admired. A great of example of how good Conteh was on the counter-punch, too, which sometimes gets forgotten when we talk about him.

Good thread, Truss.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

Winky Wright's schooling of Tito Trinidad - marred only by Wright's unwillingness to put the pedal to the floor and perhaps force a stoppage.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

You not think Hearns beating Leonard in the first fight for 12 rounds was as good as the Cuevas..performance Chris???

Pipino was devastated though I'll give you that.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather was good that night...although I never rated Gatti

Thought Barkley was average and over achieved also..also thought he won 115-112.....

But good performance by the roller...you're right.

How many natural lightweights do you know that could move up to Middle and beat Barkley, who bare in mind in his previous fight iced Hearns in 3 and only dropped a MD to Nunn in his next fight?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Carl Thompson's DESTRUCTION and HUMILIATION of David (poser) Haye was a great performance for an old man as Carl was then. I believe Carl exposed Haye to the world that night and if they were to fight now I still fancy Thompson to beat Haye.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

88Chris05 wrote:

Hearns-Cuevas, anyone? For me this is the most frightening of Hearns' performances, not sure I can see too many Welterweights ever beating him on this night. Also not sure there could ever be another man at 147 lb who could reduce someone as ferocious as Cuevas to looking gun-shy, but that's exactly what Hearns managed to do.

Cuevas was out boxed by a 13 year old in sparring before this fight.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

CALZAGHE - Lacy
MAYWEATHER- Juan Ma Marquez
HOPKINS - Pavlik
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

Since there have been a couple of references to fights of a bygone age, I think we could mention Tunney v Dempsey I. Granted, Jack had been inactive, had a personal problem or two, and had been softened by the good life, but Tunney's victory represented the culmination of - literally - years of meticulous planning and study.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

JC vs Lacey.
Lots of experts picking Lacey for this fight who was then brutally schooled by JC.

Good shout on Douglas vs Tyson. I think people sometimes forget what a massive performance that was by Douglas against the then unbeaten Tyson. Mainly due to the circus that Tyson would later become.

I remember thinking Douglas was going to be destroyed.

Benn vs McClellan was a great performance and show of grit and heart by Benn.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:53 am

OK that's one too many...Lacy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

Scottrf wrote:OK that's one too many...Lacy.

My deepest heartfelt apologies, of course I meant Lacy.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You not think Hearns beating Leonard in the first fight for 12 rounds was as good as the Cuevas..performance Chris???

Pipino was devastated though I'll give you that.

Had he won, then yes. But I think when you talk about a performance, it has to be in it's entirety. Eventually being hunted down and stopped is still a part of that fight and hence still a part of their performance at the end of the day. Don't think we can cut out the bits we don't like in order to make a performance look better, but that's only my opinion.

Don't think that the Cuevas fight was Hearns' finest hour, but still his most devastating performance. I think people sometimes forget what a beast Cuevas was at Welterweight, and Hearns was a twenty-one year old kid with virtually no big fight experience. Impressive, to say the least.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Donaire's last one has to have a shout for those of a recent vintage.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

HARRISON v Haye if we're talking greatest performance of comedy by a sportsman.

Greatest performance of boxing was any clip i've ever seen of Sugar Ray Robinson.

I would go with Calzaghe against Lacey as the best one I've actually watched though. especially as Left Hook was going to knock him out...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

Has to be Sanchez v Gomez - sheer boxing perfection.

Would also go with the aforementioned Jones Jnr v Toney. Toney might have been struggling with the weight but he was a hell of a fighter at that point and Roy made him look silly.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

A recent one was Margarito's resistance against Pacquiao. Never seen a fighter take as much punishment and kep coming forward. Massive guts.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

Ali vs Cleveland Williams. Pure poetry in motion and a near perfect display of how boxing can be seen as an artform. The greatest performance I have ever seen by miles.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

Chavez domination of Rosario was as punch perfect a performance you could hope to see but much like Duran against Moore should have been stopped far sooner than it was.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Neil Diamond - Sheffield Arena about 7 years ago, awesome performance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

Barrera vs Naz - one of my favourite fighters, had been written off in his career and was a big underdog. He beat naz mentally, outboxed him and outfought him. Who's your daddy?

Benn v McClellan is another but there is always that shadow of doubt ie from what point was Gerald physically compromised - possibly round 4? And if he hadn't been would benn have been able to beat him? Who knows - and that's taking nothing away from benn of course who fought the fight of his life.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

STARLING vs Honey..9-0 on my card and a very good educational guide to disarming a thug who thought he could disrespect you by just wading in...
a thug haha, Starling caught him with a brilliant counter in the first 30 seconds, he thought he could just steamroll through a fighter as defensively sound and skilfull as that, wasn't happening. Starling's corner were quality after the fight too in the way they celebrated. Man that man loved to talk, Honeyghan, and was very arrogant!.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

HAGLER V HEARNS
1st round was unbelievable, then the way Hagler finished him off was unbelievable, stay down.

STARLING V HONEYGHAN
Taught Honeyghan an absolute boxing lesson, was also pretty pathetic the excuses Honeyghan had, Starling had just been sparked after the bell by Molinares the fight before.

GRAHAM V MCCALLUM
Although he lost, i thought he won and made a quality fighter look pretty clumsy throughout the fight. Bomber outfoxed him many a time in the fight and i had him winning by 2 rounds.

STARLING V BRELAND 1
Starling gets outboxed early, but his grit shines through and he wants it more to claim an 11th round stoppage and claim the WBA belt.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

Barrera vs Naz - one of my favourite fighters, had been written off in his career and was a big underdog. He beat naz mentally, outboxed him and outfought him. Who's your daddy?
When you get fed bums, talk, talk, talk and talk and then step up to fight a genuine world class fighter that's what happens, Barrera absolutely outclassed him, he shouldn't of been in the same ring, that fight absolutely ruined Naseem mentally as well.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

Naseem did not fight bums, please stop showing your ineptitude for a good boxing debate, Steven. He actually fought some high level fighters, not on the same level as Barrera obviously, but to call them bums is extremely disrespectful.

On a side note, Truss, I have spoken with Hero and he has moved the weightlifting forum on to the front page now, so I look forward to some of your input big fella!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Fear not fists, In Defence of Naseem thread coming soon. Cannot let these insults of Sheffield's finest go without response.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

Aren't Def Leppard Sheffield's finest..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next