The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - World Cup General Thread

+48
whocares
BamBam
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Weegie Wizard
George Carlin
RDW
EWT Spoons
rodders
cp10
Gwlad
RuggerRadge2611
VinceWLB
TJ
Imperialbigdave
flyhalffactory
Manky-Flanker
highland_scot
Eejit
Fanster
reallybored
InjuredYetAgain
Nematode
nickj
Prothero
Redrage
Shifty
madmaccas
lostinwales
fa0019
des
sensisball
cakeordeath
funnyExiledScot
BigGee
jimbopip
Senlac
demosthenes
MacKnocked-on
Tattie Scones RRN
IanBru
alive555
GLove39
bsando
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
tigertattie
Majestic83
52 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Empty Scotland - World Cup General Thread

Post by Majestic83 Tue 01 Sep 2015, 2:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

This should serve as our general moaning thread between World Cup matches.

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Scot_f10      Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Japan10
SCOTLAND V JAPAN
23 September 2015
Kingsholm - Gloucester

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Scot_f10     Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Mini_u10
SCOTLAND v USA
27 September 2015
Elland Road - Leeds

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Scot_f10           Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Spring10
SCOTLAND v SOUTH AFRICA
03 October 2015
St James Park - Newcastle

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Scot_f10      Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Samoa_10
SCOTLAND v SAMOA
10 October 2015
St James Park - Newcastle                                       

SCOTLAND SQUAD FOR THE 2015 RUGBY WORLD CUP:

Props: Al Dickinson, Ryan Grant, Gordon Reid, Willem Nel, Jon Welsh

Hooker: Fraser Brown, Ross Ford, Stuart McInally

Lock: Grant Gilchrist, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray and Tim Swinson

Loose Forward: David Denton, John Hardie, Josh Strauss, Alasdair Strokosch and Ryan Wilson

Scrum Halves: Greig Laidlaw (captain), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Henry Pyrgos

Fly Half: Finn Russell, Duncan Weir

Centre: Mark Bennett, Peter Horne, Matt Scott and Richie Vernon

Wing: Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Tommy Seymour and Tim Visser

Full Back: Stuart Hogg

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland - World Cup General Thread

Post by BigGee Tue 01 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm

Swinson has performed consistently well for Glasgow for 3 years now and would likely have had more caps had it not been for injury. He can play the fast open game that VC wants, Hamilton cannot, Gilchrist and JG do the same as him but so much better and with fewer cards!

I think BT was just felt to lack experience. He was never in the original squad so was probably never in the picture. A good player though whose time may still come.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - World Cup General Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland - World Cup General Thread

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Sep 2015, 4:56 pm

BG - I hear what you say about Swinson's consistency for Glasgow, but he hasn't as yet translated that into an international jersey when given the chance. With the depth at lock we have, I'd disagree with the statement that he would have had more caps but for injury. He's a firm 4th place behind Grayx2 and Gilchrist, and I would argue that of the two, Toolis has had the better season.

Still, the choice appeared to be between Swinson and Harley, and at lock Swinson is a better player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:02 pm

Imagine in one months’ time!

We've played a match or two and Hardie is injured while Wilson is suspended for a kebab shop related incident in South Shields.

Cotter picks up the phone:

“G’day, is that Johnno?”

“Aye” says John Barclay

“Good-o mate. I was wondering if you fancy doing yir old mate Vern a favour and playing for us in the next match?”

“Naw” replies John Barclay

“Aww, whys that matey?”

“coz I’m playing for the Scarlets at the weekend and, unlike you, they like me down here you bald, Scott Johnson bumming, antipodean Muppet!”
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm

Don't disagree with that, just trying to get inside VC mind, not a very easy task!

As I said earlier I can live with Swindon. He is nothing if not battle hardened having been through some of the Warriors great was of attrition.

Stroker really is the joker in the pack for me.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

BigGee wrote:Don't disagree with that, just trying to get inside VC mind, not a very easy task!

As I said earlier I can live with Swindon.  He is nothing if not battle hardened having been through some of the Warriors great was of attrition.

Stroker really is the joker in the pack for me.

Your autocomplete keeps doing this, which led me to ponder this: If Tim Swinson were a place, what place would that be? I think Swindon nails it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

Ross Ford has more caps than our entire back the combined. And even then Strokosh accounts for half of those. One player is uncapped and another has only one cap.

What was that about needing experience for a world cup?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 01 Sep 2015, 5:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ross Ford has more caps than our entire back the combined. And even then Strokosh accounts for half of those. One player is uncapped and another has only one cap.

What was that about needing experience for a world cup?

Well at least most will not have the 'experience' of losing, being terrible, under-performing, winning wooden spoons and generally being a disappointment to us fans

Wow - I found a positive

I am off home now

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 01 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm

Angry and sad...in the pants.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 01 Sep 2015, 7:28 pm

At least my expectations have now been set. Should soften the blow when we fail to progress

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

Denton and Richie Gray are quality players who could walk into most 6 Nations teams.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:21 pm

TOP OF THE SHOCKS
1. No Cowan
2. Swinson in
3. Stroker in
4. Weir in Jackson out
5. No Barclay
6. No Harley
7. No back up 7

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:32 pm

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the inclusion of Strokosch over Cowan and even Barclay... As Strauss and Wilson would cover 6 in that order, with Denton at 8. Cowan covers all three positions, and Barclay 7 and 8. One 7 is very odd, but I guess the first man in if Hardie is injured will be Barclay or Cowan. If taking Strokosch is about supposed physicality, I would rather see Richie Gray at 6. Put some real bulk there that is at least mobile.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:40 pm

I suppose the only positive is that the expected 1st XV is still very much on the cards:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Strauss 7.Hardie 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Scott 13.Bennett 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

Hardie excepted, and given Dunbar being unavailable, that's the starting XV I would use against Japan, South Africa and Samoa, and all are in the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm

....and I'd look to the following against USA:

1.Reid 2.Brown 3.Welsh 4.Swinson 5.Gilchrist 6.Strokosch 7.Wilson 8.Strauss 9.Pyrgos 10.Weir 11.Visser 12.Horne 13.Vernon 14.Lamont 15.Maitland

Obviously I'd use the bench judiciously against Japan and USA to ensure those starting both games aren't over exposed, but that for USA there's enough cavalry on the bench in case we need it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Tue 01 Sep 2015, 10:58 pm

I may have a few issues with Kilted Kiwi's and Saffar's waving Saltire's but for all the faults in the rules we are now going into a world cup in a good position.

Three players in Nel, Hardie and Strauss who are completely unknown Quantity's on the world stage. Mixed with some hard worn Scottish War horses in Dickinson, Strokosh, Ford, Lamont and Laidlaw. Allied with a the best group of youngster's we have had in years we have the look of smash and grab merchants,  Badland raiders's . People arn't going to realize what hit em until we are on the bus with the points.

Dare I say it? Are Scotland Dark Horses for the World Cup?

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 01 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well looking on the plus side, Hugh Blake didn’t make it!

He'd have been far better than strokosh!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:49 am

Slept on it. Nope. Still annoyed and baffled at Stroks inclusion. People say it's for physicality, but as far as I can see he's no more so than Barclay or Cowan, just slower at it and struggled against an understrength Italian pack.

As I said first choice would be pretty much what we expect though,so there's that positive at least.

We're definitely not dark horses for the RWC that's for sure!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:24 am

Its baffling Hardie who has been injured all year gets in with 56 mins total international rugby on the clock vs Italy B , and Stroker a div 2 rugby player who has years of avg performances and 2 recent non nondescript performance and one as losing captain vs Italy B , over Cowan and Barcs who have much better recent experience and form to call on . no ?? I thought Cowan was pretty effective and Barcs close to MOM.

That really is irrational to me.

No?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

Sounds like Swinson is as surprised as the rest of us to make the squad!

TIM Swinson’s jetlag morphed into a higher form of delirium on Sunday when he received the surprise news that he was in Scotland’s World Cup squad.

The lock forward was not long back from Nova Scotia after playing for Glasgow in their 19-12 defeat by Canada at the weekend when the call came from national head coach Vern Cotter.

“On Sunday morning I missed a call from Vern and I was a bit confused,” explained the 28-year-old Swinson. “Especially after having not slept for just over a day with the travel and the game. I finally got through to him and he gave me the news. I was really shocked.

“I didn’t know how to react because it was something which wasn’t even on my radar. It is a huge honour for me and I am so excited. I had really no idea why I had that missed call. I wondered if he was just phoning everyone who had been in the original 46 just to say thank you for helping out and everything. It was only when I spoke to him on the Sunday that he gave me the news.”

Swinson travelled to the training camp in Font Romeu at the start of the World Cup preparations but he was carrying an ankle injury picked up at the back end of the Pro12 season and it soon became clear he would not be able to train.

The injury lingered and he was replaced by Edinburgh’s Ben Toolis in the training squad, before making his comeback in Halifax on Saturday and putting in a man-of-the-match display.

Swinson said: “I don’t know what Vern is thinking, not many people do. I just figured, go there and enjoy playing again after four months out due to injury which was unfortunate. I enjoyed playing and felt like I played some good stuff.

“I had a tough couple of weeks because I thought it was all over. But then I got on with it and realised I had been in worse situations and it really wasn’t that bad.

“I was playing with Glasgow with a good group of guys, I was just trying to take myself forward and get better.

“I really took that with gusto and it seems to have worked.”

Of course joy for one meant pain for another as Warriors team-mate Rob Harley misses out but Swinson said: “I spoke to him yesterday. He was hugely supportive.

“It takes a big man to say what he said. It was fantastic support from a good friend.

“I certainly feel for those who have missed out. Having gone through believing I wasn’t going to make it because of my injury, I know it isn’t nice.

“It is quite a tough time for those guys and hopefully I can support them as much as they have supported me so far.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

I think Scotland really need to start with their best XV as often as possible and look to make early changes if they can get the game sown up before half time. Realistically I don't think they can take risks because they don''t have the depth.

I think Scotland should be very wary of the USA as a bannana skin game, with players from Biarritz, Toulon, Stade Francis, Cardiff x 2, Saracens x2, and Glasgow there is quality there and they need to be taken seriously.

Japan are another country you can't really take lightly, Looking at them in their game against Uruguay they weren't that great, Their defense was solid, and they seemed to be able to take the ball off the Uruguayans any time they wanted too. I don't think Scotland will be able to push them about. While Kosei Ono their fly half looks a bloody nightmare to play against, he's basically like Matthew Morgan for Wales. His quality isnt surprising considering he grew up in NewZealand.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I suppose the only positive is that the expected 1st XV is still very much on the cards:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Strauss 7.Hardie 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Scott 13.Bennett 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

Hardie excepted, and given Dunbar being unavailable, that's the starting XV I would use against Japan, South Africa and Samoa, and all are in the squad.

When you look at that written down, it's actually a bloody good team. With the exception of Dunbar, it's pretty much the best we could ever put it out. I can't comment on Hardie over Barclay, as he's barely played, but if the reports are anything to go by, he won't disappoint.

This team would have too much for Samoa and would even give SA a good run for their money.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:28 am

Shifty wrote:I think Scotland really need to start with their best XV as often as possible and look to make early changes if they can get the game sown up before half time.  Realistically I don't think they can take risks because they don''t have the depth.  

I think Scotland should be very wary of the USA as a bannana skin game, with players from Biarritz, Toulon, Stade Francis, Cardiff x 2, Saracens x2, and Glasgow there is quality there and they need to be taken seriously.  

Japan are another country you can't really take lightly, Looking at them in their game against Uruguay they weren't that great, Their defense was solid, and they seemed to be able to take the ball off the Uruguayans any time they wanted too.  I don't think Scotland will be able to push them about.  While Kosei Ono their fly half looks a bloody nightmare to play against, he's basically like Matthew Morgan for Wales.  His quality isnt surprising considering he grew up in NewZealand.  

If we start being wary (i.e. worried) about USA and Japan then we're in the wrong game. The last time we played Japan, we hammered them. We just put 48 points on a near full strength Italy.

These are the teams we should be putting to the sword. If we scrape past either off these teams, it'll give Samoa a mental edge because they'll just think we're there for the taking.

A 30-40 point win against both will more than likely make Samoa think that they've got less of a chance against us - a big plus before the game has even kicked off.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:43 am

Big Jim Hamilton has announced his retirement from international rugby.

Here is the link to his statement on twitter https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN4aRdpWgAANKbI.jpg:large

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:45 am

Maybe a bit premature given he's an injury or two away from a call up??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:47 am

Premature but not unsurprising. He's obviously got a hell of a hang over...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:48 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Maybe a bit premature given he's an injury or two away from a call up??

It is a bit of a strange one, this means Harley would be next in line, I would prefer Toolis.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

Cotter says he's picked the squad on power, but I'd be very concerned if we lose one of the Gray's or Gilchrist and end up with 2 small locks - Harley and Swinson.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:If we start being wary (i.e. worried) about USA and Japan then we're in the wrong game. The last time we played Japan, we hammered them. We just put 48 points on a near full strength Italy.

These are the teams we should be putting to the sword. If we scrape past either off these teams, it'll give Samoa a mental edge because they'll just think we're there for the taking.

A 30-40 point win against both will more than likely make Samoa think that they've got less of a chance against us - a big plus before the game has even kicked off.

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit, yes the Italy result was fantastic, but Scotland are facing the weakest 6 nation team by some distance, and before these games against Italy you did lose your last 6 games, including a 40-10 home loss against Ireland.  
Scotland haven't beaten one of the "big 8" countries since 24th Febuary 2013 when you beat Ireland 12-8.  Beat France and maybe people can start taking things seriously, but until then I'd be worried about Japan and the USA if I was you.

Scotland have a woeful habbit of giving their fans a faint glimmer of hope only to under perform and fall to pieces when they need to step up, it's really depressing. It's so unfair the way they build peoples hopes up and then fail to deliver on such a consistent basis. steam

Last edited by Shifty on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

Doh Down with this sort of thing!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:55 am

Having slept on the squad announcement (not literally) I’m actually fairly comfortable with it.

The first 15 is probably as strong as we would have hoped, I mean there is debate of Hardie vs Barcs (or Cowan), but I don’t think Hardie will let us down.

The like of Strokosh probably won’t get a lot of game time, he’ll possibly captain (resting Laidlaw) against the USA given his experience and whilst he’s not great, he should be fine in that match.  Plus if we want to close a game out, he’s not brilliant but he can do a job.  Not as well as others, but I don’t expect him to be bothering our first 15.

Wilson can and has played at 7 so we have cover from him in that position.

Weir isn’t great, but again he is likely to only play against the USA and potentially getting 10 – 20 mins at the end of one/two of the other games just to close it out.  We have a good set of forwards so it’s likely that Vern wants Weir to ping the balls downfield for lineouts etc.  Now I know Weir is a bit hit and miss with his kicking these days, but there was a time when he was relatively competent at it, and I assume Vern is hoping for that Weir, rather than the kicking it out on the full, interception magnet he’s sometimes known for.

I think we could all pick a stronger squad, but I don’t think the questionable picks are going to cost us massively.  Vern has coached at a far higher level than any of us, and he’s quite successful, granted not with us so far, but I’ve got faith that he knows what he’s doing.

First xv in my opinion from the squad

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Nel
4. Gray
5. Gray
6. Strauss
7. Hardie
8. Denton
9. Laidlaw
10. Russell
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Bennett
14. Seymour
15. Hogg

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 02 Sep 2015, 9:58 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:....and I'd look to the following against USA:

1.Reid 2.Brown 3.Welsh 4.Swinson 5.Gilchrist 6.Strokosch 7.Wilson 8.Strauss 9.Pyrgos 10.Weir 11.Visser 12.Horne 13.Vernon 14.Lamont 15.Maitland

Obviously I'd use the bench judiciously against Japan and USA to ensure those starting both games aren't over exposed, but that for USA there's enough cavalry on the bench in case we need it.

FES - I reckon you've got it pretty much spot on. I was pretty surprised to see Stroks, Swinson and Weir picked, but its clear those guys have been picked to do a specific job - namely secure 3 points against the US and possibly Japan.

If Hardie goes down, Barcs or Cowan is on the train. If one of the Grays, Gilco or a loose forward goes down, Harley will be there in a couple of hours. Hamilton's obviously just cooked his chips as the most obvious second row back-up, but there is also the option of leaving it at 3 locks and bringing in a match fit (ish)Dunbar, as Vern has hinted.

I really don't think we will see Stroks or Wilson shunted into the 7 shirt, neither will we see someone like Dents in the boiler house. Weir probably wouldn't start against Samoa either, if Finn gets nailed by the Springboks.

For me those guys have been picked as dirt trackers, mid weekers, who wont rock the boat and will back up the first 15.

Last edited by nickj on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

Shifty wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:If we start being wary (i.e. worried) about USA and Japan then we're in the wrong game. The last time we played Japan, we hammered them. We just put 48 points on a near full strength Italy.

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit, yes the Italy result was fantastic, but Scotland are facing the weakest 6 nation team by some distance, and before these games against Italy you did lose your last 6 games, including a 40-10 home loss against Ireland.  
Scotland haven't beaten one of the "big 8" countries since 24th Febuary 2013 when you beat Ireland 12-8.  Beat France and maybe people can start taking things seriously, but until then I'd be worried about Japan and the USA if I was you.

Scotland have a woeful habbit of giving their fans a faint glimmer of hope only to under perform and fall to pieces when they need to step up, it's really depressing.  It's so unfair the way they build peoples hopes up and then fail to deliver on such a consistent basis.  steam

No.....no it's ok.

We'll leave Wales as the only 'big' team that's lost to Japan Wink

USA and JAPAN are not to be worried about and I'm pretty confident of Scotland easily beating both.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

RING RING...RING RING

TOONIE: Nathan is that you? Have you got me the tight heads I asked for? Tell me the sex offenders clinic didn't have another special offer?

VC: Griggir, Griggir! I din't git it. Thiy hite mi. Thiy all ibsilutely hite mi.

TOONIE: Come on man,that's part of the multi-coloured tapestry which we weave as artists: the hoi poloi never understand true art.

VC: Bit thiy hite me! I did iggzaggly whit yew do. I wrote all the names down, cut the paper into little squares and put thim in my
hat. I blindfolded that feela who hangs around smiling and saying G'day Mate to everyone and got him to pull out thirty one
names. D'ye think that was easy? If he said Who's he?, Is he a second Row? Is he Scottish, then? Once he said it thirty times.
And why did he eat the slip of paper with John Barclay's name on it?

Toonie: Have you got players out of position, y'know 6 at 8, 8 at 6, not enough 7's in the squad?

VC: Yiss!

Toonie: A captain who's probably past his best and not quite as good as the rest of them but picked for his inspirational leadership?

VC: Yiss!

Toonie: Any injured players who haven't played for months?

VC: Yiss.Yiss!

Toonie: Someone whose confidence is at a really low ebb waiting to provide injury cover in a pivotal position just at the crucial moment in a crunch match?

VC: Yiss, Yiss, Yiss! I even got my coaching staff to say "Whit the fecc", I love the way you Scotchies talk, with two players who either weren't in the squad in the first place or are playing amateur rugby. So why does everyone hate me?

Toonie: Beats me Fern. Do the players understand what you're doing? Do they believe in what you're doing? Do they trust you instinctively? Will they put their bodies on the line for you, and each other?

VC: Ah, Griggir, I believe that would be an ecumenical matter.

(Hangs Up)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:No.....no it's ok.

USA and JAPAN are not to be worried about and I'm pretty confident of Scotland easily beating both.

Ahem... Japan 28 - 24 Scotland - 1989  laughing
Of course what we wont say is Japan outscored you 5 tries to 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_t7wWGMw8

at least can say we had a 3rd choice team out with a shedload of kids and new caps on that tour!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

I certainly don't think we can take Japan and USA lightly - have confidence and swagger when we play them, but certainly don't take them lightly

Let's not forget Romania and Georgia last time.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Shifty wrote:I think Scotland really need to start with their best XV as often as possible and look to make early changes if they can get the game sown up before half time.  Realistically I don't think they can take risks because they don''t have the depth.  

Japan are another country you can't really take lightly, Looking at them in their game against Uruguay they weren't that great, Their defense was solid, and they seemed to be able to take the ball off the Uruguayans any time they wanted too.  I don't think Scotland will be able to push them about.  While Kosei Ono their fly half looks a bloody nightmare to play against, he's basically like Matthew Morgan for Wales.  His quality isnt surprising considering he grew up in NewZealand.  

If we start being wary (i.e. worried) about USA and Japan then we're in the wrong game. The last time we played Japan, we hammered them. We just put 48 points on a near full strength Italy.

Agree 100%. I hate all that "let's not underestimate them" nonsense. Let's look at them for what they are - not as good as us. Turning up and playing to the best of our potential should be a given in every match. Respect them - of course. We should respect every opponent. The All Blacks do that and it makes them the best team in the history of the sport. What they don't do however is agonise and sweat over teams they ought to beat comfortably, and they certainly wouldn't be adjusting their game plan. They look at them, respect them, then just go about their business and play their game. We may need to be tactically clever against SA, and adjust our game plan to tackle a superior opponent, but against USA and Japan we are the favourites and should confidently go about our business accordingly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

Majestic83 wrote:Big Jim Hamilton has announced his retirement from international rugby.

Here is the link to his statement on twitter https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN4aRdpWgAANKbI.jpg:large

I'm not surprised to be honest. He's been a fine servant to Scottish rugby but was far more suited to the Hadden/Robinson type of game plan with a big pack, Parks at 10 and Morrison at 12 than under this new regime, which is looking to play a more open and faster type of game. Not to say he wouldn't have made a contribution - he's had a season at Sarries and they no slouches - but the selection of Swinson over Hamilton tells you what they are looking for, and big, powerful yet slow beast like Hamilton obviously wasn't it.

For what it's worth, I'd have taken Hamilton over Swinson.

Re: timing, it feels like a reaction to the squad selection, and I hope it isn't one he'll regret. Nevertheless, Harley is probably first reserve (wrongly in my view), and Toolis would do a fine job if called upon.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:35 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:Big Jim Hamilton has announced his retirement from international rugby.

I'm not surprised to be honest. He's been a fine servant to Scottish rugby but was far more suited to the Hadden/Robinson type of game plan with a big pack, Parks at 10 and Morrison at 12 than under this new regime, which is looking to play a more open and faster type of game. Not to say he wouldn't have made a contribution - he's had a season at Sarries and they no slouches - but the selection of Swinson over Hamilton tells you what they are looking for, and big, powerful yet slow beast like Hamilton obviously wasn't it.

For what it's worth, I'd have taken Hamilton over Swinson.

Re: timing, it feels like a reaction to the squad selection, and I hope it isn't one he'll regret. Nevertheless, Harley is probably first reserve (wrongly in my view), and Toolis would do a fine job if called upon.

If he is needed......Well it won't be the first time we brought a slow moving, limited player out of retirement.....

Spoke to him at the PRA Awards a couple of years ago. Nice bloke

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

I don't have a problem with Swinson, he will be great for Japan and USA and has shown he can live in a match against the Boks, and actually carry effectively.

My main concerns are: If Weir starts against Japan then we will struggle to get the line moving or make field position. If we start badly then Japan will grow in confidence and the game could be a really tight one.
Ignore their recent form, Jones has been trying out different combinations and I don't think they have really shown their full hand yet.

But my main concern is Al Strokosch. if either Denton ( concussion prone) or Strauss are injured then surely Dot Cotton will pick him as a starter at 6 because that is the only position he can fill, and because he has been picked for his leadership and experience, allegedly.
Against Samoa, or the Boks, Stroker will be a spectator. Playing these teams with 15 players is hard enough but playing with 14 and one bald shadow of a once great player will be near on impossible to construct a win.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

I would start with our 1st choice XV against Japan. They will represent a bigger challenge than the USA and give our defensive systems more of a test ahead of the Boks. What I would HATE is if Weir started against Japan with the silly notion that we can control the game with our pack, kick for territory and grind them down. I don't think that will happen - but it is a concern when you hear all these insipid comments about how dangerous Japan are and that we should be really worried about facing them.

Players like Hogg and Maitland should be relishing the opportunity of facing Japan and playing in what will undoubtedly be an unstructured game plan from them. There should be plenty ball with which they can show case their abilities and score some tries.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

I agree that Russell should start the Japan game, and if we get a comfortble lead, then we can replace with Weir and just let him close it out. With any luck we'll get a decent score, Japan will then try and chase the win and even Weir should be able to pick holes.

But we need to get off to a comfortable winning start, we don't want to be chasing our tails or have confidence knocked out the team by struggling past Japan.

As has been said, we should respect them, but not fear them. They are a good side, but so are we and we should be able to beat them, as long as we don't get complacent.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

The only chance Maitland has for a live game before the Japan game is this weekend against France.
With Hogg seeming to have turned an ankle and wearing a protective boot (surely wont be risked in Paris) then Maitland is the only other FB in the squad. if he isn't ready yet who will play 15 at the weekend?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:24 am

Shifty wrote:

at least can say we had a 3rd choice team out with a shedload of kids and new caps on that tour!

Aye fair play.

Except that it was a Scotland XV select and not a capped international. Very Happy

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:24 am

sensisball wrote:The only chance Maitland has for a live game before the Japan game is this weekend against France.
With Hogg seeming to have turned an ankle and wearing a protective boot (surely wont be risked in Paris) then Maitland is the only other FB in the squad. if he isn't ready yet who will play 15 at the weekend?

As suggested on the France vs Scotland thread, I think Maitland has to play 15 against France with Visser and Seymour on the wings. Both Maitland and Seymour have to play, and I would give them 80 minutes. Both should then also play against Japan. These guys need rugby, otherwise they won't be prepared to face Habana and Pietersen in Newcastle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:25 am

I'm pretty sure Seymour has played FB when circumstances have required. Not ideal, but I'd trust him to do a job.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

Maitland is 100% fit apparently - he should play.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

The other thing to bear in mind is the timing between the first two games: We play Japan on a Wednesday and then USA on the Sunday. We have 3 days recovery whereas the USA will have had 6 days to recover from their game with Samoa. I think it unlikely that Dot will risk his best 15 with only 3 day turn around to iron out injuries and niggles. That is why the depth of the squad, and picks like Stroker and Weir, could become crucial if first choice players pick up a knock.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

Absolutely - the team to face USA will/should be almost completely different to the one that faces Japan. There's no way the same XV can play all four matches. The best bet (in my view) is to go full strength against Japan, and then rotate to play USA - the only players I would start in both games are Strauss and Maitland, because both need the rugby. I wouldn't play both for the full 80 though if I could possibly help it. Maitland and Seymour could job share against the USA for example, as could Strauss and Hardie (with Wilson shifting to 8 for the 2nd half).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Shifty wrote:

Aye fair play.

Except that it was a Scotland XV select and not a capped international. Very Happy

Only because Wales had the balls to award full caps while their 15 lions were away on tour, while during 1989 Scotland didnt while they had 9 players in Australia for that years Lions tour. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:17 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Shifty wrote:

Aye fair play.

Tattie, please stop bringing facts to this forum.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next