The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever??

+7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Herman Jaeger
adamk
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
TopHat24/7
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever?? Empty Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever??

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:22 pm

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9970861/adrian-broner-faces-khabib-allkhverdiev-for-wba-crown

Adrien Broner has been handed the chance to become a four-weight champion in front of his hometown fans by the WBA.

Broner, who has won titles at super featherweight, lightweight and welterweight, is set to face fellow former world champion Khabib Allakhverdiev for the vacant WBA light welterweight title on October 3.

Not sure 'which' WBA title this will be for, but given Broner is very much at the 'Duke McKenzie' end of the triple-weight world champs list, surely there can't be many more examples of boxers handed such gravitas on a plate??

Maybe 'the machine' still considers him super-marketable, despite the shambles of the last 2 years, but boxing fans have long since recognised Broner isn't the vaunted second coming of Mayweather, so God knows who's signing his huge paycheques.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever?? Empty Re: Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever??

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Given the WBA seem to give belts away at any given event, I am hardly surprised. What I am surprised at is the weight class: Broner struggled badly to make 144 in his last fight against Porter. I don't see him doing well here. One more loss or a failure to make weight and he becomes just an opponent.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever?? Empty Re: Is Adrien Broner being lined up to become the world's worst 4-weight champ ever??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9970861/adrian-broner-faces-khabib-allkhverdiev-for-wba-crown

Adrien Broner has been handed the chance to become a four-weight champion in front of his hometown fans by the WBA.

Broner, who has won titles at super featherweight, lightweight and welterweight, is set to face fellow former world champion Khabib Allakhverdiev for the vacant WBA light welterweight title on October 3.

Not sure 'which' WBA title this will be for, but given Broner is very much at the 'Duke McKenzie' end of the triple-weight world champs list, surely there can't be many more examples of boxers handed such gravitas on a plate??

Maybe 'the machine' still considers him super-marketable, despite the shambles of the last 2 years, but boxing fans have long since recognised Broner isn't the vaunted second coming of Mayweather, so God knows who's signing his huge paycheques.

Leo Gamez............Was a four weight world champion......Though the OP has never heard of him (which isn't a crime...............)

He is right in his assertion that Broner would be a pretty poor addition to the four weight group......But I'm afraid he's the sign of things to come...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 pm

In many ways Broner isn't the one to blame really, he's just milking the system for all it's worth. His title reigns are largely a joke, and his 'status' an embarrassment to boxing history, but he's a right to earn what he can from what is, afterall, a short & dnagerous career (especially when much of it is spent boiling down).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes top hat the man is a clown.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 am

Bump.

The BS continues.

Having googled it I'd say he's actually the worst, even Gamez sounds better than.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 am

Yes this clown can call himself a 4 weight champion. He can box, but has been found to be nothing extraordinary.

The only think he shares with Floyd, is his ability to be a c..t.

Least Floyd comes across decent and mature at times. I really can't have Broner at all.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 am

Broner has genuine skills, but his titles have been gifted. Bullying smaller guys, freebie against PM (a W he didn't deserve) and fighting for a vacant versus bang average Escobedo.

Only his LW win versus DeMarco has any legitimacy in my eyes.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 am

He could make a decent Light welter, but I think he needs better footwork.

He is too easy to tag against the top guys and doesn't throw enough.

He tries to fight like Floyd, but doesn't have the skill set to pull it off against really good fighters.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 am

Floyd's footwork is magic and his face almost untouchable. Broner's shoulder roll in comparison is almost embarassing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 am

I'm just not sold on him. We are talking about a four weight champ here. This is what is wrong with boxing today.

On paper he looks amazing because of the titles, but he is anything but amazing. Adrien has skills, but he lacks something at the top level. He is still young enough, but I doubt he can change.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 am

I think Broner's been poorly managed.........Moved from super feather to welterweight in less than a year......It's too much too fast.......

Nothing wrong with bullying guys..It's Boxing you're supposed to...

You play to your strengths...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Congrats to Broner in the win (I don't particularly like him) he has wasted no time in calling out the big names for his first defence

Crawford.... no
Postol...... no

Ashley Theophane..... Bingo!

No I know fighters tend to go for an "easy" 1st defence but surely he can do better than that?!

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10018698/ashley-theophane-ready-to-accept-adrien-broners-challenge

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Forgot to mention Broner. He's the other standout cherrypicker at the axis, for me.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Look at his title record:

SFW:

Vacant WBO against Vicente Rodriguez (34-2, not one recognisable win and losses to Kickett [?] and Benitez [?])
Defended against Eloy Perez (23-0 fringe contender) and Escobedo (26-3, losses to any decent guy he's fought)

LW:

Bt DeMarco for WBC title (28-2 Valero victim, also now lost to Vargas & Bartelemy, best win Linares)
Defend against Gavin Rees (enough said)

WW:

Gifted an SD against Paulie M (lost to every top fighter he's fought) havig gotten away with multiple point-deduction infringements
Lost/battered around the ring by Maidana (34-3, lost to all the good boxers he's fought)

LWW/WW:

Few keep busy fights against average opposition (Molina, Taylor, Molina Jr) before getting beaten by Shawn Porter.

LWW:

Beats absolute nobody Allakhverdiev for vacant title.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 pm

He still won those titles............A four weight world champion.

That's what it's all about....winning.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:24 pm

And if Brit fighters were gifted so easily you'd kick up a massive stink.

He's had it about as hard as Quigg but you don't shut up about the Manc and his 'title'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 pm

He's only won one title......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:50 am

That's not your point. He 'won' that but you deride him. Broner 'won' his but you give him a pass.

You slate Quiggs oppo but say nothing about how easy Broner gets it.

If Quigg had been handed the same easy opportunities Broner had he probably would be a multi-weight world champ by now too - and you'd be seething.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 am

Worst 4 weight champion ever, without a doubt.

Duran,Hearns,Leonard,De la hoya, Whitaker,Jones JR,Mayweather,Pacquiao,Marquez etc, and little old Adrien Broner.

His bloody name looks lost in that list.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

I've never given Broner a pass.....

He's fought better fighters than quigg......end of.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:22 am

Yes he has, can't argue that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:22 am

Rodriguez? Kicket? Benitez? Rees? Behave.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 am

Maidana .......porter...

I said he's fought better fighters...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:24 am

I guess I was thinking of Maidana and Porter, but he lost them.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:24 am

Maidana, de Marco and maybe Pauli M or Barthelemy are the only guys better than what Quigg has fought.

EDIT: and Porter, which he lost, like Maidana.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 am

AdamT wrote:Worst 4 weight champion ever, without a doubt.

Duran,Hearns,Leonard,De la hoya, Whitaker,Jones JR,Mayweather,Pacquiao,Marquez etc, and little old Adrien Broner.

His bloody name looks lost in that list.

Never heard of Leo Gamez then....... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maidana .......porter...

I said he's fought better fighters...

Flip flop flip flop...... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:35 am

Joey Gamache better than Broner ???

Vinny Paz ????

Maurice Pastrano ??

Maybe Vinny........All these fighters Toppy and Adam haven't heard of..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 am

Haven't heard of some of them for a reason Truss. Unforturnately I have heard of Broner.

Actually I do know Vinny Paz, but could care less about him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:46 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Joey Gamache better than Broner ???

Vinny Paz ????

Maurice Pastrano ??

Maybe Vinny........All these fighters Toppy and Adam haven't heard of..

None are 4 weight world champs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boxing_quadruple_champions

Unless you're just being a complete bell end and including any old muck for the sake of your pony argument. In which case I look forward to you acknowledging Audley Harrison as a bonadife HW world champion thanks to his WBF belt...... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:47 am

AdamT wrote:Haven't heard of some of them for a reason Truss. Unforturnately I have heard of Broner.

Actually I do know Vinny Paz, but could care less about him.

You said he was the worst four time champ in history a minute ago..

Now you're saying you haven't heard of a load of others..

Are you dumb ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 am

Are you??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 am

Your whole pitiful purpose every day is to come here and wind me up.....

It isn't working.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:05 am

Yes Truss I am dumb.

All insults aside you need to lay of the steroids dude. Doesn't make you a man you know. Roid rage and all that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am

I'm not annoyed...Just think you should know a bit about history before making grand statements..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 am

Adrien Broner is the worst 4 weight champion that I know of.

Is that better??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 am

That's better.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 am

Only Trussman could defend that clown...

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:53 am

Adrien "the next Floy Mayweather" Broner.

Similar to Man Utd signing Djemba Djemba and proclaiming he is the next Keane.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Only Trussman could defend that clown...

I'm no fan of Broner.....But he's a good fighter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:35 am

Don't think anybody is disputing that Truss, but he is a 4 weight champion.

For me it makes a mockery of the whole jumping weights. Was he ever the best at any weight?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:37 am

It only matters if you regard titles as important....

I don't.......

Titles died years ago..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:39 am

I don't particulary hold titles as high. Probably why I don't class Frampton or Quigg as world champions.

They aren't in my eyes. Rigondeaux is.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Titles only matter to Truss if they are or were or will be held by a Floyd Mayweather opponenent.

20 years at the top......40 current past or future champs beaten....etc etc

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Yeah Floyd likes to state he beat more world champs than anyone.

Does he not realise other eras only had one or two belts per divison?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:49 pm

People are very good on here at telling me what I think.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:02 pm

We don't tell you what you think. We repeat what you say to laugh at your hypocrisy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Only Trussman could defend that clown...

I'm no fan of Broner.....But he's a good fighter..

He would be a good fighter if he didn't rest on his laurels. Enjoys the fame too much.

Calling out Theophane? Says alot about him.

Postol, Herrera, Peterson, Crawford and Barthelemy would all beat him IMO

Even quit job Matthysse or Provo would stand better then a 50/50 chance.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:46 pm

2 fighters coming off loses that fight for a title, sums it up really

Broner has got to be among if not the worst 4 weight champions yes, was exposed by maidana, porter and even malignaggi, neither of those 3 are elite themselves.

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next