The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

+15
jimbopip
Irish Londoner
marty2086
JonnyEdinburgh
The Great Aukster
cakeordeath
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
EWT Spoons
Notch
RDW
SecretFly
Chunky Norwich
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Empty Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

The Guinness PRO12 Final will be broadcast live on TV by Sky Sports and other broadcast partners to be confirmed once finalists are known. Details were announced today at a media conference at Edinburgh's iconic Castle in the city centre.

Announcing Edinburgh as the chosen host city, CEO of PRO12 Rugby John Feehan said: "Edinburgh is well known as an inspiring host city for sports, arts & cultural events. The BT Murrayfield Stadium is a super venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"We invited offers from all 12 clubs & their regions to host the Final. The tender from Edinburgh was outstanding and was unanimously agreed as the chosen venue.

"Our competition is truly unique. 12 Clubs, 4 Unions, 1 Trophy - we are delighted to be able to work with our partners to promote the variety of fantastic international destinations that the GUINNESS PRO12 has to offer.

"We look forward to working with all our partners in staging a festival of rugby where fans from all four of our countries will enjoy a memorable Final and a great weekend in Edinburgh."

Dominic McKay, Scottish Rugby's Director of Commercial Operations, Communications and Public Affairs and Board Director of GUINNESS PRO12, said: "We are extremely pleased that our bid was successful and we have the privilege of hosting such a prestigious Final.

"Bringing the match to Scotland and BT Murrayfield in Edinburgh is a great way to grow the tournament and our focus will be on attracting a record crowd for a PRO12 final, which for the first time is being held outside of Ireland.

"We want to celebrate the climax to the season by welcoming fans from all GUINNESS PRO12 clubs to the Final, to what promises to be a fantastic sporting event."

Paul Bush OBE, VisitScotland's Director of Events, said: "We are delighted that BT Murrayfield has been selected to host the 2015-2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"Scotland is the perfect stage for events and fans coming to Edinburgh in May can expect some fantastic rugby in Scotland's national stadium right in the heart of Scotland's unique and vibrant capital city."

Rory Sheridan, Head of Sponsorship - Europe, Diageo commented: "Edinburgh is a dynamic exciting city that has hosted a number of showcase international events in recent years and we believe BT Murrayfield Stadium will be a fantastic venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"As Title Sponsor of the PRO12, Guinness has been fully behind and supportive of the decision to nominate Edinburgh as host and we look forward to working with the events team and our partners in the trade to deliver a memorable event for rugby fans."

David Jordan, Tournament Director of PRO12 Rugby, added: "We have been working with all our clubs to build the PRO12 rugby brand and the announcement today is another important step in showcasing our fantastic competition to a larger attendance.

"Our last six Finals were truly memorable rugby spectacles and, building on this success, we look forward to welcoming fans to Edinburgh for what will be a fantastic rugby weekend."

Further news on the 2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final will be continually updated on www.pro12rugby.com and also on @PRO12rugby, the PRO12 Twitter page, and the Pro12Rugby page on Facebook.

Tickets for the Guinness PRO12 Final will go on general sale next Tuesday 15 September (from 12 noon) from scottishrugby.org. Tickets are priced at £20, £30, £35, £45 (Adults) and £10, £15 (U18s)
Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17794.php#zFxvum7ZM7o2YEfA.99

Thread edited by RDW

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Empty Re: Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

clap

This calls for a Celebration!!

guinness guinness guinness guinness

Oh sorry.... offensive brand....

Bubbly Bubbly RedWine RedWine Whisky Whisky Whisky Bubbly Bubbly

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Empty Re: Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

The Guinness PRO12 Final will be broadcast live on TV by Sky Sports and other broadcast partners to be confirmed once finalists are known. Details were announced today at a media conference at Edinburgh's iconic Castle in the city centre.

Announcing Edinburgh as the chosen host city, CEO of PRO12 Rugby John Feehan said: "Edinburgh is well known as an inspiring host city for sports, arts & cultural events. The BT Murrayfield Stadium is a super venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"We invited offers from all 12 clubs & their regions to host the Final. The tender from Edinburgh was outstanding and was unanimously agreed as the chosen venue.

"Our competition is truly unique. 12 Clubs, 4 Unions, 1 Trophy - we are delighted to be able to work with our partners to promote the variety of fantastic international destinations that the GUINNESS PRO12 has to offer.

"We look forward to working with all our partners in staging a festival of rugby where fans from all four of our countries will enjoy a memorable Final and a great weekend in Edinburgh."

Dominic McKay, Scottish Rugby's Director of Commercial Operations, Communications and Public Affairs and Board Director of GUINNESS PRO12, said: "We are extremely pleased that our bid was successful and we have the privilege of hosting such a prestigious Final.

"Bringing the match to Scotland and BT Murrayfield in Edinburgh is a great way to grow the tournament and our focus will be on attracting a record crowd for a PRO12 final, which for the first time is being held outside of Ireland.

"We want to celebrate the climax to the season by welcoming fans from all GUINNESS PRO12 clubs to the Final, to what promises to be a fantastic sporting event."

Paul Bush OBE, VisitScotland's Director of Events, said: "We are delighted that BT Murrayfield has been selected to host the 2015-2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"Scotland is the perfect stage for events and fans coming to Edinburgh in May can expect some fantastic rugby in Scotland's national stadium right in the heart of Scotland's unique and vibrant capital city."

Rory Sheridan, Head of Sponsorship - Europe, Diageo commented: "Edinburgh is a dynamic exciting city that has hosted a number of showcase international events in recent years and we believe BT Murrayfield Stadium will be a fantastic venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"As Title Sponsor of the PRO12, Guinness has been fully behind and supportive of the decision to nominate Edinburgh as host and we look forward to working with the events team and our partners in the trade to deliver a memorable event for rugby fans."

David Jordan, Tournament Director of PRO12 Rugby, added: "We have been working with all our clubs to build the PRO12 rugby brand and the announcement today is another important step in showcasing our fantastic competition to a larger attendance.

"Our last six Finals were truly memorable rugby spectacles and, building on this success, we look forward to welcoming fans to Edinburgh for what will be a fantastic rugby weekend."

Further news on the 2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final will be continually updated on www.pro12rugby.com and also on @PRO12rugby, the PRO12 Twitter page, and the Pro12Rugby page on Facebook.

Tickets for the Guinness PRO12 Final will go on general sale next Tuesday 15 September (from 12 noon) from scottishrugby.org. Tickets are priced at £20, £30, £35, £45 (Adults) and £10, £15 (U18s)
Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17794.php#zFxvum7ZM7o2YEfA.99

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

"We invited offers from all 12 clubs & their regions to host the Final.

So the 18,000 capacity thing isn't still in place then?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:40 am

We've been telling you it would be in Scotland next year ever since the format was changed. No, you said. The system is set up for it to always be in Ireland you said. There are no stadiums in the other nations that meet the criteria- they are all either too big or too small. And of course, even though no-one has seen the criteria, they are completely set in stone. Murrayfield is too big, Scotstoun too small- it will definitely be in Ireland. The criteria for the first year definitely applies to every subsequent year and it will not be changed!

Maybe admitting you were completely and utterly wrong on this is a gateway to you realising that you are completely and utterly wrong about almost everything else.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:44 am

Notch wrote:We've been telling you it would be in Scotland next year ever since the format was changed. No, you said. The system is set up for it to always be in Ireland you said. There are no stadiums in the other nations that meet the criteria- they are all either too big or too small. And of course, even though no-one has seen the criteria, they are completely set in stone. Murrayfield is too big, Scotstoun too small- it will definitely be in Ireland. The criteria for the first year definitely applies to every subsequent year and it will not be changed!

Maybe admitting you were completely and utterly wrong on this is a gateway to you realising that you are completely and utterly wrong about almost everything else.

Errrr, I don't think I have ever said it wouldn't be in Edinburgh. According to the Ospreys SC, Scotland was always a possibility due to the regulations.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

Anyway, I'm delighted the final is at Murrayfield - probably the only chance I'm gonna get a chance to attend one being an Edinburgh fan!

Bold move from Pro 12 to move to such a stadium, but given how easy and relatively cheap Edinburgh is to get to hopefully we can get a decent crowd. Given the difficulty any Pro 12 team now has to make a European final this is likely to be their only shot at glory.

If Glasgow made it again I reckon you could get 50k+

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:54 am

Well this is just the incentive Edinburgh need to get to the final...it could happen....

I'll be logging on next tuesday at 12 to get tickets anyway.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

Perhaps it could serve as an 1872 decider - a third leg for want of a better expression.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:58 am

It's as wrong a decision now as it was last year. The fact that it's easier to get to Murrayfield doesn't change much, in my mind.

The team that earns the final should host the final.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm

IanBru wrote:It's as wrong a decision now as it was last year. The fact that it's easier to get to Murrayfield doesn't change much, in my mind.

I think the problem is that, due to the change in European fixtures, you wouldn't know the venue of the final until the week before. That's not great for broadcasters, sponsors or fans who have a frantic dash to get travel and accommodation.

Obviously they would still have to do that, but at least they know well in advance where it is going to be.

I agree it is far from ideal though, but that's the problem you have with a 4 nation league.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

Also, great to see the prices are kept low - £45 for the most expensive ticket is very good going!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm

IanBru wrote:It's as wrong a decision now as it was last year. The fact that it's easier to get to Murrayfield doesn't change much, in my mind.

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Finger11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:13 pm

So the Woyld Cup final should be held in either New Zealand or Dublin????

The English ain't going to be happy but I guess it sounds fair. A coin toss...or Dwarf toss, whichever is closest.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:17 pm

Genuinely can't wait to see who hosts the 2017 final.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm

If the numbers build for the final in Murrayfield, you could see the WRU or the FIR proposing their Test venues for 2017. A final in Italy in May 2017 sounds great.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:35 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:Genuinely can't wait to see who hosts the 2017 final.

If Cardiff can build two five star hotels quickly they'll probably not get it as the new criteria will be that the host city should have no hotels - to give outside bets a chance.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:56 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Finger11

^That

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:05 pm

Say if Glasgow finished top again- the final would be in Murrayfield. Whats easier- selling tickets for it nine months in advance or four or five working days in advance? It's not that I think the idea of a home Final is right or wrong, it's that it is no longer practical and people have to tighten up and accept it. Try to sell 60000 tickets in a week when you have to rely on half the fans getting flights and hotels at that short notice just isn't feasible.

That said, the size of the stadium works against it. If it was at a smaller venue (circa 18000) I would be buying my tickets now but I'm reasonably confident that Murrayfield will sell out slowly and even if it does sell-out, I'll be able to get tickets through Ulster if we make it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

Notch wrote:It's not that I think the idea of a home Final is right or wrong, it's that it is no longer practical and people have to tighten up and accept it.

^That

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

Have no fear - Chunky will be there, sitting between the hordes of Munster and Ulster fans, watching an absolute full house classic refereed by the greatest ref in the world, Nigel O'Wens....
Nuff said.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:17 pm

Does Chunky do rugby?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

If it ain't in Ireland...yeah.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

Notch wrote:Say if Glasgow finished top again- the final would be in Murrayfield. Whats easier- selling tickets for it nine months in advance or four or five working days in advance? It's not that I think the idea of a home Final is right or wrong, it's that it is no longer practical and people have to tighten up and accept it. Try to sell 60000 tickets in a week when you have to rely on half the fans getting flights and hotels at that short notice just isn't feasible.

That said, the size of the stadium works against it. If it was at a smaller venue (circa 18000) I would be buying my tickets now but I'm reasonably confident that Murrayfield will sell out slowly and even if it does sell-out, I'll be able to get tickets through Ulster if we make it.
Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield Anchor10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:32 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Notch wrote:Say if Glasgow finished top again- the final would be in Murrayfield. Whats easier- selling tickets for it nine months in advance or four or five working days in advance? It's not that I think the idea of a home Final is right or wrong, it's that it is no longer practical and people have to tighten up and accept it. Try to sell 60000 tickets in a week when you have to rely on half the fans getting flights and hotels at that short notice just isn't feasible.

Given that rugby is now a business (like it or not) and Pro 12 is a brand and commercial entity that is trying to grow, are you really suggesting that announcing the venue for the final a week before would work?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Given that rugby is now a business (like it or not) and Pro 12 is a brand and commercial entity that is trying to grow, are you really suggesting that announcing the venue for the final a week before would work?
What do you mean by "work"? It would operate in the same way that it did before the change a year ago.

If you are asking whether it's 'the optimal arrangement to make most money', then the answer is 'no, of course not'. But that's not the point for me.

I personally don't care tuppence for the fact that it's a last minute scramble to get seats. Could not give a monkeys. Schedule the grand final at least a fortnight after the semis if that's your concern. The bottom line for me is that the team that deserves to play at home should have the enormous advantage of playing at home.

I would he happy to agree an 'emergency' venue in the event that a finalist which did not place above the other in the league accidentally gets home advantage. In those circumstances the emergency alternative venue would be chosen. But I am just a country bumpkin and I knows not of all the politics, Master Frodo.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:35 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

What do you mean by "work"? It would operate in the same way that it did before the change a year ago.

If you are asking whether it's 'the optimal arrangement to make most money', then the answer is 'no, of course not'. But that's not the point for me.

I personally don't care tuppence for the fact that it's a last minute scramble to get seats. Could not give a monkeys. Schedule the grand final at least a fortnight after the semis if that's your concern. The bottom line for me is that the team that deserves to play at home should have the enormous advantage of playing at home.

I would he happy to agree an 'emergency' venue in the event that a finalist which did not place above the other in the league accidentally gets home advantage. In those circumstances the emergency alternative venue would be chosen. But I am just a country bumpkin and I knows not of all the politics, Master Frodo.

Look at you, going all Jeremy Corbyn on us.

I think it should be at Murrayfield every year.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm

Is it really the same weekend as the Edinburgh Marathon?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

Looks like it might be, but the Marathon is the other end of Edinburgh primarily, so I doubt it would have any impact on the Pro12 final.  Plus Edinburgh has a lot of hotels so there shouldn't be an issue there, especially as only one team's fans will be needing accomodation (the other of course being Edinburgh)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:04 pm

Phwew.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Well by choosing a venue they are obviously showing that the fans of the top placing team in the league aren't their priority - economic growth, sponsorship and development of the entire league is more important. That should mean more money for every club through sponsorship, TV revenues and prize money from the league.

I don't think it is that different from the AP really - fans in Newcastle and Manchester face just as long/expensive a trip to London as any of the home nations Pro 12 teams would have to go to Edinburgh, Cardiff, Dublin etc. By making the final at Twickenham every year they can build the brand and build the commercial benefits of being able to plan months in advance.

Can you imagine if the AP decided to let the league winning team decide, and if Sale won it would mean announcing the final in Manchester a week before it is due to take place?

Also, the final has to be the week after the semi-final as the agreed European fixture list says so.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

BTW this is me trying to get in their mindset - of course in an ideal world rugby should come first, but that's not the world we currently live in!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:Is it really the same weekend as the Edinburgh Marathon?

In all seriousness, the marathon mostly takes place to the east of city, whereas Murrayfield is in the west.  Now Edinburgh isn't huge, but there would limited impact in and around Murrayfield.  The only time you would be aware is in the city centre, but really only if you venture up to where it starts from.  Or if you fancied a wee trip to Porty beach or out to Seaton Sands.  But given it's unlikely the avg. rugby fan is planning a sight seeing tour of Edinburgh's beaches, the same date as the Pro12 final, I reckon any visiting fans would be ok

And as I say there are lots of hotels out to the west of the city centre, or for that matter in the city centre, it'll be fine.  Or worse case scenario fans could stay in Glasgow for a stabbing warm Glaswegian welcome, as it's only 40 mins (give or take) on the train.  Wink

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

30,000 runners. Many with family.

Lets hope you're right.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

I'm delighted with this new system, a mere pauper like me needs time to plan the trip including booking transport and accomodation early to get the cheapest rates. Impossible with 1/2 weeks notice where it is unrealistic to get money together.
It's a shame the top team has lost that advantage but so long as all clubs/countries get a fair crack at hosting on some kind of rotational basis I think it is the fairest way for the fans.

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

"Arise ye workers from your slumbers. Arise ye prisoners of want..."

1. There is an advantage to playing at home, particularly during the play-offs. As said above, the team who has earned home advantage should be able to enjoy that advantage.

2. The money-making point is fair - on the face of it, it is easier to sell 67,000 tickets over nine months than a week but, as mentioned above, if this is a concern why not just schedule the final to be a couple of weeks later? Easily done.

3. In any case, who are these uber-confident people who assume their team is going to get to the final nine months before it's even played? They need a good, firm kick in the grapes, says I.

3. The only way such a final is even going to be sold out is if people buy a ticket for the 'occasion' rather than through any particular expectation that their team will be there. OK, that's fair enough, all supporters rocking up together for a final - a festival of rugby. If that's what we're looking for then all well and good, but it lacks the intensity of 33,000 Munstermen mixed in with 33,000 Glaswegians, with 1,800 Edinburgh lawyers handing out the sandwiches.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Well by choosing a venue they are obviously showing that the fans of the top placing team in the league aren't their priority - economic growth, sponsorship and development of the entire league is more important. That should mean more money for every club through sponsorship, TV revenues and prize money from the league.

Its not like it worked for the HC or UEFA and the Champions League

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:30 pm

I understand that in an ideal world, however if you look at the problems with the Euro finals and semi finals when Saracens had to play Clermont in a less than half full stadium when it was all moved around at short notice and the free online ticket fiasco for the final, at least this way the fans no where they stand.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:51 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Looks like it might be, but the Marathon is the other end of Edinburgh primarily, so I doubt it would have any impact on the Pro12 final.  Plus Edinburgh has a lot of hotels so there shouldn't be an issue there, especially as only one team's fans will be needing accomodation (the other of course being Edinburgh)

Let's be serious: the best way of watching a match at Murrayfield is to stay in the Friendly City and get the train through from Glasgow Central. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

jimbopip wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Looks like it might be, but the Marathon is the other end of Edinburgh primarily, so I doubt it would have any impact on the Pro12 final.  Plus Edinburgh has a lot of hotels so there shouldn't be an issue there, especially as only one team's fans will be needing accomodation (the other of course being Edinburgh)

Let's be serious: the best way of watching a match at Murrayfield is to stay in the Friendly City and get the train through from Glasgow Central. Whistle

I suppose an overnight stay in Glasgow Royal Infirmary's A&E department will save on accommodation, just need to hope to be discharged in time to get through to Edinburgh.  Plus the night in Glasgow will have relieved you of your pesky belongings so no need to worry about travelling back with luggage.

Quality money saving travel advice Jimbo Wink  Hug

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:09 pm

Glasgow – the friendliest city in the world. i.e. the person that stabs you is friendly enough to call you an ambulance!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:15 pm

The broken glass bottles are also bought in Pharmacies and come fully sterilised too I here.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

IanBru wrote:"Arise ye workers from your slumbers. Arise ye prisoners of want..." Arise ye victims of oppression...

1. There is an advantage to playing at home, particularly during the play-offs. As said above, the team who has earned home advantage should be able to enjoy that advantage.

3. The only way such a final is even going to be sold out is if people buy a ticket for the 'occasion' rather than through any particular expectation that their team will be there. OK, that's fair enough, all supporters rocking up together for a final - a festival of rugby. If that's what we're looking for then all well and good, but it lacks the intensity of 33,000 Munstermen mixed in with 33,000 Glaswegians, with 1,800 Edinburgh lawyers handing out the sandwiches.

No real answer here, just a couple of observations...

I snaffled two free tickets for this year's Euro cup final and took young Pipetto. I managed this because apparently 80 000 Frenchmen, and women, couldn't organise an expensive weekend away at a week's notice.
This threw up an interesting thought: why are tickets so bloody expensive? I'm a big believer in the Bundesliga model where the clubs realise that gate receipts are a small part of their overall revenue but that full stadia attract more sponsors and make for a more appealing product as far as selling TV rights goes. Also people tend to be lifelong supporters/ customers if they begin going to matches at a young age. Young Pipetto has a Toulon scarf and is pestering me for a jersey Subsequently the Bundesliga is the cheapest league to watch live football in europe. Bru is right in the sense that if I want to be sure of watching Glasgow in the final I have to buy tickets well in advance and clear a weekend with the resultant accommodation costs. Do I want to do that for Connacht v Scarlets?

On the other hand...

One of the unexpected positives of being at the euro cup final was seeing all the different jerseys and talking rugby Love sacks with Ulster, Wasps, Munster and even MFL supporters which is one, unintended, benefit of naming the final venue in advance.

Will I be getting tickets on the very strong likelihood that Glasgow are there to defend the title? Probably not.

I'll wait till we have won the semi and then descend on Fes's mansion in Stockbridge saying what a shame all the hotels are full.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:21 pm

Delighted by this news clap

Chunky Norwich wrote:Is it really the same weekend as the Edinburgh Marathon?

Have you been searching for every events that happen that day in Edinburgh? Laugh

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

I really like Glasgow, I have friends up there and when ever Wales play Scotland I stay in Glasgow and commute to Edinburgh on the train, that way I go to Scotland and mingle with Scottish people, when ever I go to Edinburgh when Wales are playing all I see are people from Wales, and I usually know most of them. Laugh

Glasgow is a beautiful city, the only thing I do not like is the sectarian nonsense that goes on there, it is not as bad now, but about a twenty years ago as a young Welshman it used to put me a bit on edge, people would here my accent and want to make conversation, but the first question they would ask is what my religion was. Also the Blue and Green divide in that city is a bit scary. But that is changing now as the years go on.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

LordDowlais:

That’s pretty much my experience as well when I've travelled to an away game in the 6 nations, which is to be expected when thousands of one nations supporters travel to a city.

Aside from the sectarian nonsense you mention, I've no issue with Glasgow, it's a nice enough city, it's all friendly banter between Edinburgh and Glasgow supporters...apart from Shiz, who I think genuinely hates Edinburgh

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:36 pm

Lord Dowlais you are spot on about Glasgow being a beautiful city and also about the brainless, cancerous nonsense that sectarianism is.
I once reduced Schiz to tears of laughter when we were discussing the differences between living in Glasgow and deepest Essex by telling him that Princess Daughter had bought me "One of those old fashioned Scottish football jerseys you like, dad" for my birthday.

I thanked her but pointed out that I don't support Celtic. (Nor Rangers it must be said)

She looked puzzled and said "I know that dad. But you've got a Partick Thistle jersey already and the other Glasgow team wear blue and you've got lots of blue in your wardrobe already so I thought this pretty green one would make a nice change."

I love Glasgow but I love the fact that my children look at a football jersey and just see it as another garment to co-ordinate with the rest of their outfit.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

On the point of tickets, the prices range from £20 - £45, which I think is very reasonable.

I'll certainly be going to the game irrespective of who Edinburgh will face in the final!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:42 pm

Well said, RDW. So if Glasgow make it Bru the wandering minstrel, Schiz and myself know where we'll be dossing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:52 pm

jimbopip wrote:Well said, RDW. So if Glasgow make it Bru the wandering minstrel, Schiz and myself know where we'll be dossing.

I’ll say this – I am so confident that it won’t be an Edinburgh-Glasgow final that if it is you are all welcome to stay at my house, with as much drink provided as you can handle!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next