The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
pedro
westisbest
McLaren
puligny
kwinigolfer
SmithersJones
Eyetoldyouso
BlueCoverman
MontysMerkin
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
Bob_the_Job
Dolphin Ziggler
Davie
Be_the_ball
1GrumpyGolfer
hend085
JAS
GunsGerms
beninho
golfermartin
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
raycastleunited
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
31 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

It's more the leaving it to the last minute which is nonsense. It is appalling business practice for the buyer to do this, as the seller knows they can keep the price high.

What is the point in the window being open for two months if nothing gets done until the last day? Just make it a day long, the opposite of a DFS sale.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Thu 21 Jan 2016, 6:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:ray, That's not Mac's position, it's his medical opinion.
No, I just think he read about that opinion in a peer reviewed magazine..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:37 am

Wikipedia?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 22 Jan 2016, 9:51 am

Quick question, am i reading the new handicap changes correctly in that is feasible for a scratch golfer to give up a potential 50 shots to someone who joins and gets a 54 handicap.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Jan 2016, 9:56 am

Can't imagine any circumstances when a scratch golfer would want to play a 54 handicapper or vice versa.
Then again, if you are a 54 handicapper, I'm pretty sure you'd still get gubbed by a scratch golfer. a 54 handicapper could barely hit a ball.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 22 Jan 2016, 10:10 am

Anything higher than a 28 handicap is classed as a club handicap (not to be used outside the home club) and has to be agreed by the Committee of the club involved. Our Committee has decided that we are going to stick with a maximum of 28. I thought however than the maximum for men was 36, even if a club handicap was allowed. It might be 54 for ladies - not sure.

But why 50 shots? Surely, with full allowance in singles, it would be 54 shots. And 49 shots with 90% allowance in 4BBB.

Last edited by golfermartin on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 22 Jan 2016, 11:05 am

Yup. Scratch could give up 54 shots in individual matchplay.

When I started at 11 years old the club I was at gave a junior a 54 handicap. First comp he went out in he'd blown his full handicap before finishing 2 holes (who knows why they used medals and 18 holes as the default junior format for all of us).

What are the handicap reduction criteria for handicaps so high?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

I thought CONGU had reversed their decision on that and gone back to 28 maximum for men. They had proposed up to 54 (maybe to cater for handicapped golfers - in the true sense) but they've stuck at 28 I believe.

It may be true that certain clubs allow up to 36 for internal purposes but I don't believe they are proper CONGU handicaps

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

I thought that's what I said

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 22 Jan 2016, 2:26 pm

It was pretty much what you said - but you didn't mention that at one point CONGU *were* going ahead with this idea, which is presumably where Nay got the idea from. I was just trying to expand further on what you already said

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm

golfermartin wrote:Anything higher than a 28 handicap is classed as a club handicap (not to be used outside the home club) and has to be agreed by the Committee of the club involved. Our Committee has decided that we are going to stick with a maximum of 28. I thought however than the maximum for men was 36, even if a club handicap was allowed. It might be 54 for ladies - not sure.

But why 50 shots? Surely, with full allowance in singles, it would be 54 shots. And 49 shots with 90% allowance in 4BBB.

Only 50 shots because i couldnt be bothered doing the maths. No other reason

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Jan 2016, 7:59 pm

http://www.mygolfspy.com/sneak-peak-bentley-golf-irons/

Tasty looking bats.

I bet Mac can't wait until Dennis Buses release a set of clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

LL Cool Nay wrote:
golfermartin wrote:Anything higher than a 28 handicap is classed as a club handicap (not to be used outside the home club) and has to be agreed by the Committee of the club involved. Our Committee has decided that we are going to stick with a maximum of 28. I thought however than the maximum for men was 36, even if a club handicap was allowed. It might be 54 for ladies - not sure.

Only 50 shots because i couldnt be bothered doing the maths. No other reason

There is maths to do in full allowance? Shocked

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 23 Jan 2016, 2:10 pm

super_realist wrote:http://www.mygolfspy.com/sneak-peak-bentley-golf-irons/

Tasty looking bats.
Think so? Pointless ponce clubs for rich I play with my 2inch cock.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:48 pm

Navy

I wouldn't ever buy them but it doesn't mean they are not aesthetically pleasing. It is the price tag that makes them clubs for arse holes and not what they look like.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 24 Jan 2016, 11:27 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

I wouldn't ever buy them but it doesn't mean they are not aesthetically pleasing.  It is the price tag that makes them clubs for arse holes and not what they look like.
Maybe. I don't think the Bentley logo helps a bit though. I like a traditional blade shape but those don't really do it for me I'm afraid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 25 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

Just plumbed for my first golf based purchase of the year. Motocaddy S1 pro trolley (18 hole lead acid battery) for £349. Comes with a free Motocaddy Pro bag (selling separately on the same site for £149). Not had a Motocaddy before, they any good?

Got an 11 year old Powakaddy which is just starting to have intermittent "go" issues (ie it sometimes doesn't when I twist the speed knob thingy) which I think might be connector issues between battery and trolley (which given it's age I can't be bothered messing with). My bag has also recently developed a hole (disappointing, it's only about a year old but then it is "only" a big maxx one) so the combo on sale seems suitable and pretty good value.

Anyone else taken any purchasing decisions yet this year?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 25 Jan 2016, 3:27 pm

Roller,

I always imagined you as a younger person?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 25 Jan 2016, 3:29 pm

McLaren wrote:  It is the price tag that makes them clubs for arse holes and not what they look like.

How much are they?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 25 Jan 2016, 3:46 pm

Well more expensive than a set of titleist or mizuno's.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 25 Jan 2016, 4:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Roller,

I always imagined you as a younger person?

It's all relative. I could still carry easily but, put simply, I'd rather not!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 25 Jan 2016, 8:00 pm

Should have gone lithium Roller! Granted a few quid more, but so much better I would never go back to lead acid now.

Mind you we're carrying only at the moment, trolleys are banned as our part of Essex is resembling a mud-bath!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

Amazing what super_ will spend his money on . . . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35399467/irish-potato-picture-sells-for-750000

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 26 Jan 2016, 8:26 am

Stayed lead acid for price. Old trolley is lead acid and had no qualms with it, battery isn't that heavy and I'm not playing many times a week so don't think lithium is currently worth it for me personally.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

Given that you don't have to carry it, because it is an electric trolley, what's the advantage of a lighter battery?

Like Mac, I also thought you were a bit younger roller.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

Much more reliable and efficient. In my experience the lead acid batteries start to struggle towards the end of 36 hole events after they reach about a year old, even though they are supposed to achieve this comfortably. Lithium have got as much go in them at the end of 36 holes as at the start and you get a full five year guarantee. Also you don't need to leave them on charge, full charge only takes a couple of hours and then they are ready for the next time you play.

Has being older got anything to do with using an electric trolley anyway these days? In the junior section at my club there is barely a youngster that doesn't use one.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:09 pm

I know we love this type of chat on here and the STP has made the claim again on Twitter that McIlroy is paying re-branded irons.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:25 pm

STP seems to make a lot of claims for effect, without much to back it up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:31 pm

super_realist wrote:STP seems to make a lot of claims for effect, without much to back it up.

Indeed - I used to quite like reading his stuff but far too much is unsubstantiated - I recall the incident in the Solheim Cup over the "gimme that never was" .. he made a fanfare about how the American girl whose name I now forget had been spoken to quietly about assuming gimmes, before the incident. Turns out no one knew anything about it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm

Maybe they should unite the twitter accounts of STP and GCW .. he could become the STW

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 26 Jan 2016, 3:58 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
In the junior section at my club there is barely a fat, lazy, pampered youngster that doesn't use one.

Blue - I felt the need to improve the accuracy of your comment!

I see them at my club too. 12 year old kids with massive tour bags twice the size of them, walking around with a remote controlled electric trolley, dressed head to toe in designer gear. Spoiled little brats. If a full set is too heavy to carry, what's wrong with a half set in a pencil bag - makes little difference at that age.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:03 pm

I didn't assemble a full set of clubs until I had left home and earned some money in a uni summer holiday. Seems the little fatties get it all on a plate.

I had a crappy Howson golf bag until I was about 15 and then replaced it with an ebay find using xmas money. And it is not like I am claiming to have had some sort of rough upbringing it just wouldn't have occurred to my parents to provide my with a full top of the range golf kit.

Question to the rest of you, when did you first assemble a full set of clubs with a proper bag?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:15 pm

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

I was given on a long term lend a full set (1 - 4 wooden woods, 3-pw Slazenger Peter Alliss blades with a sand iron I added) at 12/13 from a family friend that no longer played.

I bought my own full set of Mizuno Astron at about 17 and I also went with a ridiculously oversized for my age tour Macgregor bag.

Then gave up at 18!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Like you Mac I had a tacky shiny Howson bag. Initially a Slazenger half set from Argos, then added a different Slazenger half set to fill the gaps. It wasn't til after I left uni and started work that I got a full set of matching irons. Started playing when a teenager and the clothes I wore for golf were from normal high street shops like Next or River Island, no sign of J Lindeberg or Galvin Green.

I had plenty of nice things as a kid but I never would have even considered begging my parents for all the fancy gear.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:30 pm

McLaren wrote:I didn't assemble a full set of clubs until I had left home and earned some money in a uni summer holiday.  Seems the little fatties get it all on a plate.

I had a crappy Howson golf bag until I was about 15 and then replaced it with an ebay find using xmas money.  And it is not like I am claiming to have had some sort of rough upbringing it just wouldn't have occurred to my parents to provide my with a full top of the range golf kit.

Question to the rest of you, when did you first assemble a full set of clubs with a proper bag?
Obviously, using a trolley and tour bag stuffed with gear as a junior makes one a much better golfer.......maybe not, but it gives me something to laugh at when out on the course.

I probably had my first full set at or just after Kwini. Initial 1/2 set were even numbered Petron 'Impala' irons, matching 4-wood and a hickory-shafted brass putter.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:32 pm

As a kid I had a second hand half set and pencil bag. After playing for a couple of years gave up until early/mid 30s and bought a new starter half set and a lightweight (but not pencil) bag. After 3-4 years when I realized I was going to keep it up, got my first full set though kept the lightweight bag. Couple of years after that I got a more substantial bag and pull trolley that I still use to this day (the bag should be replaced now)

EDIT: my junior second hand set sounds remarkably like NBS's .. 2,4,6,8 irons (not even a wedge!) and very old battered 3-wood. Can't even remember what the putter was!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:32 pm

And another thing... if my kids ever get into golf I won't let them use distance measuring devices until they become good players. Let them learn to judge distances visually, there's always 150 markers etc to help, instead of the DMD becoming a crutch.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm

It's not that it's a crutch Ray, it's that most golfers have no idea how far they hit it, so knowing how far the pin is away means almost nothing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:11 pm

I would argue that judging the distance of the shot is one of the fundamental skills of playing golf. Being able to accurately judge the distance and how to achieve that distance given the circumstances at that moment should be just as important as hitting a booming drive.

In my more extreme moments I would say ban all distance measuring aids (including 150 markers), but I would settle for 150 marker on each hole as the sole aid for the player in judging distances.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:13 pm

super_realist wrote:It's not that it's a crutch Ray, it's that most golfers have no idea how far they hit it, so knowing how far the pin is away means almost nothing.
Amen to this.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:46 pm

Jus' sayin', there's an awful lot of golf talk on this 'Anything goes' thread.  Jus' sayin' mind

Anyway, back to the golf talk.  When I first started it was using my Dad's clubs, whatever they were, they were mismatched and butter knife thin.  As a teenager I got a half set of irons, mainly Dunlop something or others, that could be bought individually out of Macros.  Didn't manage to fill it in for a while and then couldn't get the 4 iron so ended up with some Japanese one out of American Discount Golf near the A406 (Finchley? Geography could be miles off, it was a while back)  Also got a MacGregor 3 wood which was not much bigger than the ball from there and later bought an unknown name putter out of Risebridge Golf Club (by the A12, Romford).  Holed a 20 footer first putt so that prompted the purchase.  Think I used my Dad's bright red pleather Slazenger bag with god awful strap (other deities available for worship and abuse).

Didn't buy a full set of irons until my early twenties where I bought some Cobra oversize irons from Trent Park Golf Club (Oakwood).  After the missus gave me a golf tuition weekend away in Cornwall for my birthday (she bitterly regrets and acknowledges this was the start of the golf problem) I ended up with some Golden Bear woods so I could use them on the tuition weekend.

Shortly after joining Three Rivers about 2002 I got myself a TaylorMade R540 driver.  Also got a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons from the Rivers.  At some point I added a Titleist 17 degree fairway wood and an Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball putter.  Whilst on holiday in Escondido, California I traded the Big Berthas in for X-16 pro series irons.  

Pretty much changed the whole set since arriving in the States but do still have the Titleist fairway wood in the bag.  Bags are cart bag style as the use of a cart with petrol engine, not electric, is mandatory at our course; over 10 miles of cart path and lot of hills.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 27 Jan 2016, 7:55 am

It's "anything goes" grumps.

Even includes golf.

Sometimes...

Shocked

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 27 Jan 2016, 8:13 am

First set was 2nd hand (possibly 5th or 6th hand) odd numbered junior half set by Rally. Soon added a Wilson 1 wood (that I couldn't hit for toffee) and a Doug Sanders 3 wood (dream). Had a free old school blade putter with leather grip (couldn't use) and replaced it with a clone copy Ping Anser (which I bent in a fit of pique and became worse with than the putts I had the fit of pique over).

Got the lent set (see earlier post) when I looked like I'd keep it up, kept it up until I spent my own money on the clubs and gave up.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jan 2016, 8:26 am

McLaren wrote:I would argue that judging the distance of the shot is one of the fundamental skills of playing golf.  Being able to accurately judge the distance and how to achieve that distance given the circumstances at that moment should be just as important as hitting a booming drive.

In my more extreme moments I would say ban all distance measuring aids (including 150 markers), but I would settle for 150 marker on each hole as the sole aid for the player in judging distances.

Pro's don't 'judge' distance Mac, they rely completely on rigorous work done on yardage sheets and pin sheets by themselves and their caddies. It's what takes them so long to take a shot. Most will only 'judge' on the touch shots within 60 or 70 yards or less.

Mind you I have seen a guy use a laser about 10 yards from the pin, I burst out laughing at him.

Just let everyone use a laser and get on with it. The skill is executing a shot to the distance, not knowing (or judging) the distance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 27 Jan 2016, 8:59 am

[quote="super_realist"]
McLaren wrote:Just let everyone use a laser and get on with it. The skill is executing a shot to the distance, not knowing (or judging) the distance.
What next super? Wind gauges, thermometers?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:13 am

Well, it's not like the information isn't freely available via course guides, prep work, and pin sheets, so just give them a laser and speed the game up a bit. They'll come to the same distance conclusion, just in a shorter period of time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:It's "anything goes" grumps.

Even includes golf.

Sometimes...

Shocked

Back in the day any and all golf talk was banned on the "Anything Goes" thread, Roller. The thread's creator was ruthless when it came to this and would delete all posts mentioning golf

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jan 2016, 1:08 pm

D4s needs to come back with his machete . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 27 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:What next super? Wind gauges, thermometers?
Not sure either of those would help anyone. People might think they'd help but in reality, I seriously doubt it. Worth keeping that info banned if there's any chance it'll make golf any slower than it typically is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 27 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

Getting very specific there Grumps. Some familiar places...

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
ended up with some Japanese one out of American Discount Golf near the A406 (Finchley? Geography could be miles off, it was a while back)  

Almost, that would be Finchley Road in Golders Green. There used to be a couple of stores there: Nevada Bob's, where incidentally I bought my first full set of clubs also (Dunlop too) but is long gone. American Golf is still there, bought some shoes there a few months ago.

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
Didn't buy a full set of irons until my early twenties where I bought some Cobra oversize irons from Trent Park Golf Club (Oakwood).

This shop is still going strong, they have good deals here. Bought a Mizuno wedge here recently... I use the driving range here in winter and it is difficult to resist the shop. Also used to be a Nevada Bob's... what has happened to this chain? There used to be one in the city in Broadgate Circle but this is now AG.

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
Shortly after joining Three Rivers about 2002 I got myself a TaylorMade R540 driver.

The R540 came out in 2005. I only know this because I bought an R320 in 2004 and remember debating whether to wait a few months for the R500. This was back in the day when TM had the strange idea of releasing new products every two years instead of every 2 minutes. TM released the R300 series in 2003, the R500 series in 2005, the R7 series in 2007, the R9 in 2009, well you get the message.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next