The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game.

+23
No 7&1/2
donglewood
Fanster
HammerofThunor
PenfroPete
wrfc1980
RubyGuby
screamingaddabs
GunsGerms
robbo277
yappysnap
sad_gimp
dallym
eirebilly
whocares
aucklandlaurie
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Scottrf
LondonTiger
Poorfour
BamBam
TightHEAD
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game. Empty RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game.

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:22

Does anyone else think the build-up has been poor, I went to the two warm up games in Cardiff and you wouldn't have known the RWC was just around the corner, also being from the West Country I have not seen or heard nothing about the RWC taking place either at my local rugby club or local schools. The Marketing people and the RFU have failed on this wonderful opportunity to celebrate the game across England and the UK as a whole.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game. Empty Re: RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game.

Post by BamBam Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:30

Few of us at work were saying similar, there's been next to no build up or hype, even things like stalls up in train stations, haven't even seen a lot of advertising on billboards or TV etc

BamBam

Back to top Go down

RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game. Empty Re: RWC - Missed opportunity to celebrate the game.

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:36

Its been very low key that's for sure, I was expecting so much more to be honest that I thought by the time kick off came on Friday I'd be fed up with it all. (the hype that is!)
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:40

Don't write it off until the tournament itself has at least begun!

The challenge for any sporting event in England between September and May is that it's competing with association football for media and public attention, and the public's love of moaning about the price / ticket availability / inconvenience / how it's all going to be a failure.

Add to that that the RWC is pretty much the longest sporting event around. Most major sporting championships last 1-2 weeks; the Olympics and Paralympics are 4 in total, the football world cup only lasts a month. RWC is 6 weeks. That's a long time to sustain interest against a loud backdrop of millionaires ruining a lawn.

It looks like the organisers are going for a bit of a slow burn; sensible when you have a long schedule to manage against. The build-up will start this week, and I'd be surprised if a) it really gets going much before Friday and b) it's not in full swing by Sunday.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:44

Olympics was pretty much all moaning till the torch relay started. Even then until the actual opening ceremony most press was pretty negative.

RWC took "Billy" on a 75 day tour of UK, but it only ever made the local news.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:45

But I remember going to my local supermarkets in both 2007 and 2011 and seeing merchandise and supporters shirts, flags, beer etc for sale, so far nothing.

Going back even further to 1991 I remember local schools taking part in a series of events and such like. so far nothing in my area.

I just think its been poorly marketed so far, I just hope the Rugby does the talking to be honest but I still think its a missed opportunity to spread the game.

Last edited by TightHEAD on Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:46; edited 1 time in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:46

The fact that I've been actively looking for a preview show and can't find one less than a week out is poor.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:47

LondonTiger wrote:Olympics was pretty much all moaning till the torch relay started. Even then until the actual opening ceremony most press was pretty negative.

RWC took "Billy" on a 75 day tour of UK, but it only ever made the local news.

Billy? not Billy Mitchell I take it?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:49

TightHEAD wrote:But I remember going to my local supermarkets in both 2007 and 2011 and seeing merchandise and supporters shirts, flags, beer etc for sale, so far nothing.

Lots of stuff in my local Tesco, including massive display at entrance.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:49

Scottrf wrote:The fact that I've been actively looking for a preview show and can't find one less than a week out is poor.

Blame ITV.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:52

Where are you based Tiger?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:53

Now, Cambridge.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:55

In the tesco extra in my town there are displays and beers and shirts and all the guff on sale. Mind you, they do that for the 6N as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 10:56

There can be too much crap before a big event ..sometimes to the extent that you're bored with it before it begins. Rugby isn't trying to compete with Olympics or football - it's still very much a niche. And I think the low key start is better. Better to have someone tune in unawares and see hopefully some good games and wonder what they've been missing. The slow sell rather than the annoying foot-in-doorstepping approach.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 11:15

You right SecretFly there can be too much but even so I can't help but think the build up within local communities was more during the 1991 RWC when the game was amature.

Last edited by TightHEAD on Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 14:28; edited 1 time in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 13:30

LondonTiger wrote:Now, Cambridge.

Well there's your problem, right there! You can't expect sensible behaviour from a town whose students can't even tell what colour blue is.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 8:47

I cant believe there has been very little publicity of the Tournament.

Today the Herald had a free 28 page lift out which is excellant.
Apart from Lydia Ko the other day the ABs have been the lead item in all the Tv and radio  sports news bulletins, for the last couple of weeks.
The Rugby World Cup channel has been running now for nearly three weeks replaying RWC matchs 24/7. at the moment South Africa v Argentina (2007) is on.
Sky Sports one has not done so much as they have been covering ITM cup and we have one of those games live 6 days a week (Tuesday is the only day we dont have live rugby on TV.).
The Rugby Channel has been trying to cover all aspects of rugby.
New Zealands biggest milk processer is bottling all domestic milk in Black plastic bottles.
Offices/Workplaces are having sweeps and  tournament picking competitions.
If you are in New Zealand and you dont know by now that the Rugby World Cup starts this weekend then I daresay you are Deaf, Blind, Dumb and very Stupid.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:30

Laurie, I was looking at the NZH rugby section a day or so ago.

Boy, the only colour going to this WC seems to be black. I guess it's why New Zealand are New Zealand are the All Blacks - but they're pretty tight about discussing anyone else but themselves!
Maybe I just brought up the wrong section but it all seemed to be dedicated to Black.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:34

is there at least a kind of Rugby Village being set up for rugby fans from all around the world to meet , drink and watch games?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:34

Its getting some coverage in Holland with some games being shown on public TV for the first time ever. Holland may not be a big rugby country and not taking part but they recognise that its a big event and are making the effort.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:40

Here in NZ we've got All Blacks microfigures (basically small, lego compatible toys, with horrific heads).
http://www.allblacksmicrofigures.co.nz/
got one of Richie already Very Happy

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:54

whocares wrote:is there at least a kind of Rugby Village being set up for rugby fans from all around the world to meet , drink and watch games?
There is a fanzone in Milton Keynes.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 9:55

whocares wrote:is there at least a kind of Rugby Village being set up for rugby fans from all around the world to meet , drink and watch games?

I'm flying back to the UK to watch the game at the Fan Zone in Richmond. I understand there are a few round the UK.

Really enjoyed the fan zone in Paris under the Eiffel Tower, lots of players mingling. Old Deer Park not as glamorous mind!

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 10:22

mid_gen wrote:

I'm flying back to the UK to watch the game at the Fan Zone in Richmond. I understand there are a few round the UK.

Really enjoyed the fan zone in Paris under the Eiffel Tower, lots of players mingling. Old Deer Park not as glamorous mind!

To a fan steeped in rugby heritage, Old Deer Park is a fair bit more glamorous than the Eiffel Tower. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Welsh_RFC#Notable_former_players
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 10:40

Just walked through Waterloo and although there were signs up they didn't actually give much info to people not in the know.

Probably the biggest problem I have is a lack of build up by ITV it would of been nice to have had a few programmes on the weekend before to gain some interest.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 10:49

ITV are probably too busy pushing the X-Factor to give much note to the RWC. I guess they'll push it when it's on, but they haven't generated much excitement.

There's a fanzone in Brighton and the local clubs have had a couple of events on, but I agree it's been low key. There's a couple of banners up in the city where the Christmas lights usually go, but not much. The trouble down here is that there are two games at the Amex in the opening weekend and then not much else, so our part is over quite quickly. Would have liked to see a little bit more to happen before the World Cup so this weekend would be a massive event and then people could attend "get into rugby" events afterwards, but there's not been any real buzz outside of rugby communities.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 11:09

TightHEAD wrote:Does anyone else think the build-up has been poor, I went to the two warm up games in Cardiff and you wouldn't have known the RWC was just around the corner, also being from the West Country I have not seen or heard nothing about the RWC taking place either at my local rugby club or local schools. The Marketing people and the RFU have failed on this wonderful opportunity to celebrate the game across England and the UK as a whole.

Yes I dont think there has been much hype about the WC. This may be because a lot of the games are being staged at football grounds rather than rugby heartlands. Above all though the most irritating thing is that it is oficially the most expensive sporting event ever staged globally. This has priced many of the real die hard fans away.

I am fairly certain that if the IRFU are sucessful with their bid in 2023 they would be a lot more of a party atmosphere.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 11:16

I'm in Scotland, so not the host nation and a football mad place, and I have seen practically nothing. If you didn't have a direct interest and had gone out of your way to notice you would have no idea the world cup was happening. Admittedly this is Glasgow too, which is particularly bad.

I'd expect maybe a few billboards or whatever, but I've seen nothing.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 11:35

So have the 2015 RWC marketing people failed?

I'm a rugby fan and I know its happening but many people in my office don't have a clue England is less than a week away from hosting one of the worlds biggest sporting events. That to me seems madness but I guess as long as the tills keep ringing the organizers are happy which is totally against the whole point of expanding the game we all love.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 11:37

ITV have been very poor as well.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 11:38

Well we're having a lads n dads curry at the club Friday night and I'll be sporting an England shirt for one night only - No cameras allowed of course - I live in Cornwall

The build up has gone a little under the radar

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 12:08

There are plenty of fan zones scattered around the UK. My nearest one is Gloucester so will deffo be catching all the England games there.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 12:28

15 'Official' Fan Zones

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/fanzones

Got to say, I think It's a slow burner. Not helped down here by the injuries in the warm-up games
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:02

Cardiff is being "dressed up" today for the RWC. It is rather late, but I suspect there'll be a fairly big buzz in time for the Wales game on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:06

Just went to my local supermarket and saw 6 England helium filled balloons as you walk in, I guess it was for the RWC but that was it.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:10

I take I'm the only annoyed by the repeated adverts regarding the world cup that have been on for the last few months? I clearly watch too much TV

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:27

TightHEAD wrote:Just went to my local supermarket and saw 6 England helium filled balloons as you walk in, I guess it was for the RWC but that was it.

That was the England tight 5 TH talking to Gareth Chilcott

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:47

Got to admit I don't watch ITV (or STV as it is up here) so any adverts by them will have been missed by me.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 Sep 2015 - 13:51

HammerofThunor wrote:I take I'm the only annoyed by the repeated adverts regarding the world cup that have been on for the last few months? I clearly watch too much TV

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Thu 17 Sep 2015 - 16:53

At the airport heading back now. Had to supply my own hype as unsurprisingly no-one apart from my Argentinian colleague is even aware there's WC on here!

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 17 Sep 2015 - 17:15

RubyGuby wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:I take I'm the only annoyed by the repeated adverts regarding the world cup that have been on for the last few months? I clearly watch too much TV

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 8:24

I think the idea is that starting a 6 weeker with a big bang can burn the interest out early, with the RFU hoping England are going far they are trying to play down the group stages a touch, in a just in cse scenario to start hammering home the mania when and if England get through the group and look toward a decent run.

The WWE has been travelling around though, and on a local level clubs and schools have had a taste of whats to come.

The RWC seems to be more word of mouth than any real hype though.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by donglewood Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 8:49

Hmmm. I was thinking the same thing.

Is England and especially london really a sensible host for the World Cup?

Rugby is seen as a snobs game and no one cares.

Plus london is too expensive for fans and too large and messy to create atmosphere.

Also london is so vast that getting around it to see the games is a nightmare. Twickenham to wembley? Insane. That'll take you a good three hours.

donglewood

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 8:51

Makes money, which is the thing for World Rugby.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 8:51

donglewood wrote:Hmmm. I was thinking the same thing.

Is England and especially london really a sensible host for the World Cup?

Rugby is seen as a snobs game and no one cares.

Plus london is too expensive for fans and too large and messy to create atmosphere.

Also london is so vast that getting around it to see the games is a nightmare. Twickenham to wembley? Insane. That'll take you a good three hours.

ghost
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 8:56

dongle

Am pretty sure noone said any of that, not sure who you were thinking the same as?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 9:09

The BBC seem to be certainly playing down the hype.  Kinda lukewarm stuff on the BBC news this morning when they were talking to some guy about it.  "Well, *yawn* okay, enjoy your World Cup" seemed to be the kinda attitude at the end.

I guess that's the dangers now with competing broadcasting outfits.  There is so much money involved (too much) that real sour/cool attitudes develop between them.  And instead of thinking "This is Our World Cup.  It's in England - it's ours.  And we're excited too even though we mightn't have the rights".  The business tagline can often become less enthusiastic to downplay a competitor's product.

Oh I'm sure the BBC will get into some kind of mood about it if England start doing well.  But this idea that Special World Events have become copyrighted Products grows and grows. And some networks that have no rights can often pretend nothing is happening at all in their Nation.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 9:15

Well there have been a record of amount of tickets sold. This WC has sold the most tickets ever apparently, over 2 million sold so I am being told, so there must be a little interest, and celebration.

So there must be plenty people aware of the WC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 9:16

Think it'll start to grow now. The ideal start would be a thrilling to and fro game tonight in the spirit of England France from the 6Ns for the benefit of interest. Think I'd prefer England to just walk in tries as they please and the game to be over as a contest after 15 min though...

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 18 Sep 2015 - 9:21

LordDowlais wrote:Well there have been a record of amount of tickets sold. This WC has sold the most tickets ever apparently, over 2 million sold so I am being told, so there must be a little interest, and celebration.

So there must be plenty people aware of the WC.

There are still tickets on sale for a lot of games. Of course there is a lot of interest but so far the world cup has been more of a corporate function than a celebration of rugby. I think world rugby are partially to blame as they set such a high fee for this world cup but also the RFU and broadcasters could have done a lot more to build excitement.

The most exciting thing I have seen so far is joe.ie's video of the Irish squad dancing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next