The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now supporting...

+38
LondonTiger
GavinDragon
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
Pal Joey
rodders
screamingaddabs
TightHEAD
IanBru
Hood83
R!skysports
Fanster
nathan
Cardiff Dave
Hammersmith harrier
MrsP
whocares
TJ
Cyril
doctor_grey
Breadvan
HammerofThunor
InjuredYetAgain
Biltong
stub
Notch
Shifty
BamBam
majesticimperialman
Steffan
Geordie
Barney McGrew did it
robbo277
No 7&1/2
Bathman_in_London
Marshes
mikey_dragon
No9
42 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

English fans will now support...

Now supporting... Vote_lcap31%Now supporting... Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 15 ]
Now supporting... Vote_lcap46%Now supporting... Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 22 ]
Now supporting... Vote_lcap23%Now supporting... Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 48

Now supporting... Empty Now supporting...

Post by No9 Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 pm

For English fans only, for obvious reasons...

Which BRITISH team now gets your support...

Don't forget:

Be honest...

No9

Back to top Go down

Now supporting... Empty Re: Now supporting...

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:37 pm

It won't be Wales!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:51 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It won't be Wales!

It should be though. If it was the other way round, I would back the teams that knocked us out of the pool and hope they progressed as far as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:It won't be Wales!

It should be though. If it was the other way round, I would back the teams that knocked us out of the pool and hope they progressed as far as possible.

Is that so you could say at least you were beaten by the best?

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:58 pm

In theory. Scant consolation, but some I suppose. I know I supported Fiji after 07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Why wouldn't it be Wales?

Personally I want Japan to go through, so that means Wales over Scotland for me.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Underdog whoever it happens to be in the game I'm watching. Won't support anyone just enjoy the rugby.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Got France in the work sweepstake, so I'll be shouting for them.

Otherwise I'll probably pick on a game by game basis. I'd like to see Japan make the quarter-finals as I feel they were unlucky with the scheduling, and would also like to see them play top tier opposition again after a fair rest period to see what they can do. So that would be at odds with following Scotland.

I am a little bit turned-off with the amount of glee expressed by some of my Welsh friends on social media over the last 8 days, not just that their team has won and qualified for the quarter-finals, but glee that England have failed. I'll find it hard to cheer for them in any match, even though the other half is Welsh.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:53 am

Don't get the question. What's the point of being a proxy supporter? As an Englishman, with England out, I won't be supporting anyone. I'll enjoy the games for what they are, and give a wistful sigh as the ABs lift the trophy.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 am

The "Anyone but England" crowd have made it sure I wont be supporting ANYONE in the world cup now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 am

English fans should be supporting Wales and Scotland. Why an earth they would not support their British neighbours is beyond me. Plus an 'anyone but Wales' attitude is very petty and sad indeed

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 am

Steffan wrote:English fans should be supporting Wales and Scotland Why an earth they would not support their British neighbours is beyond me. Plus an 'anyone but Wales' attitude is very petty and sad indeed

laughing yeah of course we should.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:18 am

GF - I'll be honest if you seen my facebook newsfeed the past two Saturday's you would have been brought to tears. But don't delude yourself. There are plenty of English that harbour a thinly veiled hatred and snobby attitude towards the Welsh, I found the latter just came so naturally which I found more offensive than the hate-Wales brigade. The assumption that you're above Wales has always been a bit laughable to me anyway.

If it was my team out I would also support the underdog. But as it stands my team are not out. It's England who are out, courtesy of Wales and Australia. I've no doubt we'll see a lot of England fans latch onto Wales' opponents in the next few weeks and be in to remind us "oh you're overhyped and not that good." Normal service then.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:26 am

Now England are out, i will be supporting Wales.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:27 am

I'll unashamedly be backing every side that plays against Wales

I would like to see Ireland win it outside of that

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:07 am

Half the Welsh team was born in England, we don't mind sharing with you Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:11 am

If Ireland go out I'll support Argentina if they are still in, even if they put us out. I love their passionate fans and their ambitious philosophy. If both those teams are out I want Australia to win. Just think it's been a long time for them and they play some really quality rugby as well.

I don't understand why people think we must support other Home Unions. I do have a soft spot for Scotland in all things as I lived there and have many close friends there still but apart from that, I don't view it as any different to supporting any other nation. I'm culturally closer to England than Argentina, but I'm just as much not English as I am not Argentinean so why not just base it on which team you like more? When I was growing up I had a mate in Belfast who liked England just because he liked the way they played then. I understand that more. When you're a neutral that matters more than geopolitical proximity! If you're English I don't think you have to support Scotland or Wales just because the UK is a thing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 am

Shifty wrote:Half the Welsh team was born in England, we don't mind sharing with you Hug

Beshocked is supporting Japan...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:32 am

BamBam wrote:I'll unashamedly be backing every side that plays against Wales

I would like to see Ireland win it outside of that

Haters gonna hate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 am

Ok lets compramise we'll change our name to Waland and plsy in red tops with white shorts like England.  

John Inverdale - "now lets talk about Waland" Cool
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 am

Easy for me as I have Welsh family so I'll be supporting Wales but I'll be pleased to see the Scots and Irish do well too. After that it'll be France as a Six Nations northern hemisphere team not that I've got anything at all against the Italians you understand!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 am

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Taffs and Jocks?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 am

The Welsh and the Scottish.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:15 am

Oh ok
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:The "Anyone but England" crowd have made it sure I wont be supporting ANYONE in the world cup now.

Has there really been much of that Geordie? I was commenting earlier today about how dignified everyone has been this WC (particularly England fans last night when you might have expected bitterness etc)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:25 am

Notch wrote:The Welsh and the Scottish.

And, just to show you how parochial some Scots can be, someone tried to get "Jocks" treated as a racist expression. picard Some people just have their priorities in life all wrong

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:09 am

Notch wrote:If Ireland go out I'll support Argentina if they are still in, even if they put us out. I love their passionate fans and their ambitious philosophy. If both those teams are out I want Australia to win. Just think it's been a long time for them and they play some really quality rugby as well.

I don't understand why people think we must support other Home Unions. I do have a soft spot for Scotland in all things as I lived there and have many close friends there still but apart from that, I don't view it as any different to supporting any other nation. I'm culturally closer to England than Argentina, but I'm just as much not English as I am not Argentinean so why not just base it on which team you like more? When I was growing up I had a mate in Belfast who liked England just because he liked the way they played then. I understand that more. When you're a neutral that matters more than geopolitical proximity! If you're English I don't think you have to support Scotland or Wales just because the UK is a thing.

Pretty much this. I used to support the other home nations over others but life experience has put an end to that.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:14 am

In the highly unlikely event that we don't win, I want any NH team to win.

Last edited by InjuredYetAgain on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:15 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Notch wrote:If Ireland go out I'll support Argentina if they are still in, even if they put us out. I love their passionate fans and their ambitious philosophy. If both those teams are out I want Australia to win. Just think it's been a long time for them and they play some really quality rugby as well.

Pretty much this. I used to support the other home nations over others but life experience has put an end to that.

606v2 experience has put an end to that for me. Sad but true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 am

Steffan wrote:English fans should be supporting Wales and Scotland. Why an earth they would not support their British neighbours is beyond me. Plus an 'anyone but Wales' attitude is very petty and sad indeed

Posts the biggest ABE on here! I'll be cheering on Wales, no brainer...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 am

by Griff Today at 6:15 pm
HammerofThunor wrote:

Notch wrote:

If Ireland go out I'll support Argentina if they are still in, even if they put us out. I love their passionate fans and their ambitious philosophy. If both those teams are out I want Australia to win. Just think it's been a long time for them and they play some really quality rugby as well.

606v2 experience has put an end to that for me. Sad but true."

Sorry - haven't worked out how to quote other texts on this iPad yet..

For me I can see how it's easy to not support other home nations teams due to the bile that is spouted by certain individuals both on this forum to a lesser degree and via other types of social media to a much greater degree. However I try not to let this affect the way I feel about matters because in a sense that is what these more extreme individuals want - to propagate mutual dislike or perhaps even hatred. So I base my own support on the many positive experiences I have had with friends from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. That is more real to me than some bitter twisted troll sitting at a keyboard somewhere.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:34 am

I always suppor the British teams, regardless which dark resesses of Her Majesty's domains they come from. We are Brits.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:34 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:The "Anyone but England" crowd have made it sure I wont be supporting ANYONE in the world cup now.

Has there really been much of that Geordie? I was commenting earlier today about how dignified everyone has been this WC (particularly England fans last night when you might have expected bitterness etc)

Maybe not a huge amount....but I have seen a bit of it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 am

France for me. Always been my second European side and the game I most look forward to watching in the 6Ns.

Have developed a bit of a liking for the way Argentina are playing as well. Very dangerous side now that they've developed their backs play. Think they could do very well.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:

And, just to show you how parochial some Scots can be, someone tried to get "Jocks" treated as a racist expression. picard   Some people just have their priorities in life all wrong

The expression of racism is not rooted in language but in the intent behind that language. Prescribing words is it's own thing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:59 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:

And, just to show you how parochial some Scots can be, someone tried to get "Jocks" treated as a racist expression. picard   Some people just have their priorities in life all wrong

And it is a racist term and people have been prosecuted for it.  However its clear the intent was not to be racist but amusing. Context stands for a lot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8678475/Postman-who-called-Andy-Murray-useless-jock-is-convicted-of-racism.html

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 am

Is Jock really worst than say Paddy, Taff , scouser etc? If that's deemed offensive (let alone racist) god knows what Frog is meant to be and I couldnt really give a flying feck about it Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 am

whocares wrote:Is Jock really worst than say Paddy, Taff , scouser etc? If that's deemed offensive (let alone racist) god knows what Frog is meant to be and I couldnt really give a flying feck about it Smile
God told me it is a compliment.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:28 am

and I find 'rosbif' quite affectionate Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 am

Actally I am fine with it. Don't really care about that stuff.
Put the two together and you can have a nice chain of pubs across Paris.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 am

Isn't there one in Val Thoren too? Or at least there used to be?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 am

Despite Steffan's best efforts to make me dislike Wales i'll be backing them along with Ireland.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:56 am

MrsP wrote:Isn't there one in Val Thoren too? Or at least there used to be?

Think so. The frog and roastbeef (not part of the frog's pub chain) used to be the highest pub in europe.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 am

I would have been surprised to hear it was part of a chain as the name for the Val Thoren one came from the original joint owners I thought?

Ahhhhh. Memories. Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 am

Steffan wrote:English fans should be supporting Wales and Scotland. Why an earth they would not support their British neighbours is beyond me. Plus an 'anyone but Wales' attitude is very petty and sad indeed

Howdy neighbour and ole. You're a laugh a line Steff.

Personally I was rooting for England on Saturday and i'm disappointed that they didn't make the knock out stages. Not good enough right across the board in a nutshell. When Wales get knocked out i'll be rooting for France.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 am

i'll be supporting all the home nations, why does it have to be either wales or scotland as the poll indicates.

What about Ireland? i could them as a home nation

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 am

I may have been the only Welshman with conflicted feelings last night, happy that the Aus win meant that Wales were qualified, but really felt for Robshaw and LAncaster, of which I rate both very highly!

In an ideal world Wales wouldve won the group followed by England, however I wouldve been happy qualifying behind England...

Had Wales gone out I'm not sure I could bring myself to actually support anyone, but would very much follow IReland, Scotland and England with interest.

Weirdly I have a number of Northern Irish friends, who are extremely excited about going to the Euro's 2016, and I would love to see Wales, Northern Ireland and England go to represent the home nations, and would happily suport all 3!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 am

nathan wrote:i'll be supporting all the home nations, why does it have to be either wales or scotland as the poll indicates.

What about Ireland?  i could them as a home nation

Opening post states "BRITISH" mun.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 am

doctor_grey wrote:
whocares wrote:Is Jock really worst than say Paddy, Taff , scouser etc? If that's deemed offensive (let alone racist) god knows what Frog is meant to be and I couldnt really give a flying feck about it Smile
God told me it is a compliment.
Someone on here said 'pom' is not ok. Seems a double standard if you ask me. Can any of you whinging poms please clear this up for me.

Is it the whinging bit? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:22 am

picard

There was no racial intention in using the term Jock or Taff, and being a Welshman myself, I hope that can be seen as genuine...

Therefore, if there is any offence taken, please accept my apologies. If the terms offend any fellow Welshmen or any Scottish please report the thread, where I hope a Mod can change the term on the poll to a less offensive term, or failing that remove the thread.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next