The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

+15
milkyboy
AZZJ44
Hammersmith harrier
spencerclarke
Dipper Brown
Hands Of Stone
Pound-for-Pound
BoxingFan88
owen10ozzy
Qoxiivi
Rowley
AdamT
hazharrison
Lance
mobilemaster8
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT* - Page 2 Empty GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 3:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Morning gents.

Anyone watching this?

O'Kane looked poor......that Ortiz fella looks like he has some skills. Cracking KO.

Now for the P4P ranked Gonzalez. Should be good only seen him a couple times.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT* - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by hazharrison Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:14 pm

AdamT wrote:Why is he not known as well? Bad management there somewhere.

He is the most exciting fighter in boxing, am I correct?

Floyd could put a glass eye to sleep, but he still got the numbers, even half decent against Berto. Shows what a big mouth can do.

Hopefully GGG gets more exposure to get the casuals reigned in.

He's only been on HBO three years. Hell of a promotional job to get someone from their TV debut (in the US) to PPV in that space of time (a non-American fighter who can barely speak English to boot).

Quite how Floyd - a dull performer over the past few years - managed to pull in such high numbers (in a recession) is something of a mystery. Whoever was guiding him - whether that was Ellerbe or his marketing was his own making - was a genius.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT* - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

When Floyd says he was the smartest fighter he wasn't joking.

Made a fortune.

I hope the Canelo v Cotto fight hits a huge number. That could set up a superfight for GGG.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

AdamT wrote:Why is he not known as well? Bad management there somewhere.

He is the most exciting fighter in boxing, am I correct?

Floyd could put a glass eye to sleep, but he still got the numbers, even half decent against Berto. Shows what a big mouth can do.

Hopefully GGG gets more exposure to get the casuals reigned in.

As others have said he's not American and as Haz mentioned he doesn't speak great English, you're not gonna get many great quotes, funny anecdotes from somebody like that. Also controversy sells and there's nothing controversial about the guy, he's not got any beefs with anybody in boxing and unfortunately those are some of the things that sell. I bet Shannon Briggs is getting more coverage than GGG!

Floyd had a lot of haters as well as fans, many tuned in hoping he'd lose, just like in the UK with Eubank & Naz. UFC's Connor McGregor pretty much got himself noticed & into title contention because of his mouth! GGG just aint that guy.

Also lets not forget boxing is a minority sport nowadays getting very little exposure in the mainstream media, it just can't compete with edge of the seat type sports such as snooker & golf!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:39 pm

AdamT wrote:When Floyd says he was the smartest fighter he wasn't joking.

Made a fortune.

I hope the Canelo v Cotto fight hits a huge number
. That could set up a superfight for GGG.

I'm pretty sure that Cotto's fights have been some of the most viewed out there and I think Canelo is drawing people in. Floyd vs Canelo was one of Floyds better ppv fights of recent years.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:40 pm

They could hit a million but i think will be around the 750 mark. Both have big fanbases and can fight, so good numbers are expected.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 21 Oct 2015, 6:59 pm

I'd expect Alvarez/Cotto to do far better numbers than the winner against GGG, everything is against him and those tuning in will be for patriotic reasons and won't necessarily follow him if he beats them.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 7:34 pm

I have blasted GGG more than most. But as others has mentioned middleweight is getting more exciting and he is the man at the minute. No doubt.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Oct 2015, 10:38 pm

AdamT wrote:I have blasted GGG more than most. But as others has mentioned middleweight is getting more exciting and he is the man at the minute. No doubt.

Why have you blasted him? He's done everything asked of him, undefeated with the best ever ko percentage in MW history, throws a lot of punches, has a good punches landed percentage and has a pretty exciting style, nobody has come close to beating him. Hard to find a reason to blast him IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 22 Oct 2015, 7:09 am

Canelo reported to have insisted Golovkin must face him at 155 lbs (if he beats Cotto). I imagine those who've leathered Cotto for catch-weights will be up in arms about this?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:52 am

Perhaps the wbc will strip him if it's not at the full middleweight limit. Doubtful but it would be a positive move.
Canelo doesn't believe he'll be a full middleweight for a year or two so he'll fight at 155 until then. Or just 155 for GGG and he'll allow other middles to come in at 160 as he knows he'll beat them. Not sure if this is a bad thing yet as he doesn't look like a middle even though he is really.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:20 am

I hated the fact took him so long to names on his record. Not fully blaming him for that.

Anyway lets not go down this road. Next year is a big year for him. If he gets to ko Canelo or Cotto, that should make him a bit more mainstream.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:46 am

I don't blame Canelo for this. A very good but nothing-special fighter earning a fortune out of the game, he hasn't got a prayer with Golovkin and his earning power would nose dive after the inevitable beating.

Actually I hope his fight with Cotto bombs and I hope Miguel batters him because Canelo is no star.

Anyone who's followed the saga and in particular Dela Hoya's interviews on the subject won't be in the least bit surprised in this development. He doesn't have a grain of confidence in his fighter beating Golovkin and has been stringing the paying public on all along.

It'll be a rematch with Cotto if it's a good fight and then dig up Tony at light middle. Or now this absurd catchweight idea. He has no intention and has never had any intention of facing Golovkin at the full middleweight limit, I just wish he had been more upfront about it. But now the public will see his game- he's got a b-level fighter and he's masquerading him as a superstar.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:56 am

So basically Cotto vs Canelo will be utter pointless for GGG. If either wins, they won't entertain fighting him at 160 so he I'll be stated as fill champion anyway.

I'm assuming he will then fight either Andy Lee, Jacobs/Quillin although the latter has done a good job of avoiding GGG so far going to the lengths of relinquishing titles.

It's frustrating for GGG but he is THE big star in the MW division and is potentially going to be the main attraction in boxing in the next 12 months of he keeps doing what he is doing.

He needs a big name, Cotto or Canelo would be perfect, but they both know they would get mauled.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

It wasn't Golovkin's fault he didn't have names on his record. Universum had him under contract and had him playing second fiddle to the likes of Sturm and Zbik (who they refused to match him with). Golovkin asked them to try and make a championship match with Pavlik way back in 2008 yet Universum wanted him based in Germany (and has no financial clout to bring Pavlik the other way). Golovkin ended up having to terminate his contract in 2010 out of sheer frustration.

After signing with Loeffler, they set about building him - a Kazakhstani - in the US (no mean feat). They've done well in three years and fought everyone available to them (from an HBO-approved list). The excuse that he wasn't worth fighting (high risk, low reward) is now out of the window.

A Froch and Chavez fight along the way would have been nice but neither were interested.

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:07 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:So basically Cotto vs Canelo will be utter pointless for GGG. If either wins, they won't entertain fighting him at 160 so he I'll be stated as fill champion anyway.

I'm assuming he will then fight either Andy Lee, Jacobs/Quillin although the latter has done a good job of avoiding GGG so far going to the lengths of relinquishing titles.

It's frustrating for GGG but he is THE big star in the MW division and is potentially going to be the main attraction in boxing in the next 12 months of he keeps doing what he is doing.

He needs a big name, Cotto or Canelo would be perfect, but they both know they would get mauled.

Cotto is still the man who beat the man. Beating him, or Canelo if Alvarez beats Cotto, between 154 and 160 would leave Golovkin as the de facto middleweight boss.

Neither Cotto or Canelo have ever ducked anyone - Golovkin will get his shot next year.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 12:30 pm

Booth is Eubanks trainer now.Also Hearn said he would like to match him up with GGG next year.

Is he genuine? Or chatting out of his rear end.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 22 Oct 2015, 1:42 pm

You can tell no-one likes junior... Seems Hearn and even his dad want him to get the crap beaten out of him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 22 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

Eubank Sr. will see that fight as Jr's Benn fight.

Golovkin is no Benn. Jr. is no Sr.!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 4:43 pm

[quote="hazharrison"]It wasn't Golovkin's fault he didn't have names on his record. Universum had him under contract and had him playing second fiddle to the likes of Sturm and Zbik (who they refused to match him with). Golovkin asked them to try and make a championship match with Pavlik way back in 2008 yet Universum wanted him based in Germany (and has no financial clout to bring Pavlik the other way). Golovkin ended up having to terminate his contract in 2010 out of sheer frustration.

After signing with Loeffler, they set about building him - a Kazakhstani - in the US (no mean feat). They've done well in three years and fought everyone available to them (from an HBO-approved list). The excuse that he wasn't worth fighting (high risk, low reward) is now out of the window.

A Froch and Chavez fight along the way would have been nice but neither were interested.[/quote]

Good post, read this regarding Universum only last night and also they were going through financial difficulty almost going under! Why people keep hating on GGG and the fighters he's faced is beyond me. Fighters fight, matchmakers match & promoters promote. Has anybody really been calling out GGG? And now we hear Canelo wants him at 155! So if GGG declines is he ducking Canelo? Is it his fault the fight didn't/won't happen.

I am a little surprised that Canelo has said this, as aside from him potentially not wanting the fight and using this to prevent it happening, does he make 155 comfortably himself? Is he physically at his best at 155? Some are questioning whether his stamina issues are down to making weight. Surely Canelo & GGG are a very similar weight outside the ring?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 22 Oct 2015, 8:39 pm

They are similar weights outside the ring. Had anyone heard canelo lactually say he wants it at 155? Or is it whispers coming from the team?

L3G's team have repeatedly said they'd fight anyone from 154-175 and then allegedly said they'd only fight ward at 164 (or something close) so you have to take the view that either they all play the game or its all smoke and mirrors from management and promotional teams.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 22 Oct 2015, 8:44 pm

UYhazharrison wrote:Eubank Sr. will see that fight as Jr's Benn fight.

Golovkin is no Benn. Jr. is no Sr.!!

English has pretty much said as much haz. Now whether you take him seriously or not who knows. He is after all;
A) a man who understands the value of PR and
B) madder than a March hare sitting in a box of frogs.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:06 pm

Haha, just read the other thread, so he did say it! I guess he can argue  155 is as high as he's fought to date, but the guy is the rehydration King.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:30 pm

He ks bigger than GGG milky. Mad how some can cut so much weight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:43 pm

Yeh he comes in fight night at similar, sometimes more than GGG. You'd think that fighting at middle he'd be stronger and have better stamina from not cutting weight... Presumably he knows he can handle fighting at light middle the but thinks GGG might struggle. 

I remember looking at walk around weights and fight night weights when a 3G froch fight was muted. People were Saying then that golovkin was a small middle and shouldn't go to 168 to fight froch. Yet there was little to choose between them in terms of walk around (walk around weight can be a bit of a Misdirector as some guys hit the cake and some stay near fight weight) or their typical fight night weights (a better indicator) . Didn't maidana come in at about 165 for one of the floyd fights? It's crazy to think their's only about 5 lbs between maidana and froch on fight night when they're 3 weight divisions apart.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Oct 2015, 8:50 am

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2