The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath

+24
Luckless Pedestrian
No9
Cardiff Dave
glamorganalun
cb
Blueschief
Cyril
doctor_grey
wayne
Knackeredknees
Rugby Fan
maestegmafia
TJ
sad_gimp
HammerofThunor
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
alive555
No 7&1/2
Barney McGrew did it
rodders
George Carlin
ScarletSpiderman
RubyGuby
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath Empty Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath

Post by RubyGuby Wed 28 Oct 2015, 11:56 am

Maybe its time to have 3 strong regions as I cant see much point in this talented lad wallowing in a backwater that is the Dragons. He needs more quality rugby week in week out. Discuss -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34652414

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath Empty Re: Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 28 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

If we have three regions, would it not be the Ospreys that get culled as they are the bottom region right now Run

With the RCC qualifications as they are, I have a feeling that in time we will end up with two regions capable for competing for titles, and two regions who are solely development tools for the two stronger sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath Empty Re: Taulupe Faletau: Warren Gatland blocks transfer to Bath

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:11 pm

I couldn't believe this when I read it.

What is the player supposed to think? That's he's special enough for his career development to be defecated on, but not special enough to be a wildcard selection?

Provide the carrot of saying that you won't be selected if playing 'off shore', by all means, but I don't think that you have any right to block a move that the player wants to make. You can't have it both ways.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

What a gobshoite. Worst decision he's made since dropping bod.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:24 pm

'off-shore' - like it, Bath is closer to Newport than Swansea is (more or less). Can't the WRU get Gatland a bus pass and a mobile?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:29 pm

George Carlin wrote:I couldn't believe this when I read it.

What is the player supposed to think? That's he's special enough for his career development to be defecated on, but not special enough to be a wildcard selection?

Provide the carrot of saying that you won't be selected if playing 'off shore', by all means, but I don't think that you have any right to block a move that the player wants to make. You can't have it both ways.

It is an odd one. After all when signing his contract extension Toby was heralded as an exceptional honest and decent man, and one who sticks to his word etc. Now we are meant to believe that he is wanting to go against a contract that he has made with the Dragons. I have not seen any comments by him about the potential move, but have a feeling he is in the same boat as North was, happy to see out his contract and then move on afterwards He is a sadly being used as a commodity to be traded and a tool to be used in PR games.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm

rodders wrote:What a gobshoite. Worst decision he's made since dropping bod.

I believe the team enjoyed a record margin victory after dropping BOD

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:43 pm

Think it was the fortunate injury to Warburton.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:50 pm

Bath are turning rugby into football. Anything to stop them succeeding im all for !

They wonder why English rugby is going like the French. Maybe cause the teams are full of foreigners ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Oct 2015, 2:17 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

thumbsup

How'd they get on without him in pool A Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 28 Oct 2015, 2:26 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

thumbsup

Gatland:  "Put it there pal, I'm sorry to have ended your International career this way but my boys need the experience for the WC, you know?  They're in our pool.  You gotta understand my position here.  It's business.  No hard feelings?"
BOD: "Actually no Christmas card.  No handshake and what makes you think/hope I'm retiring?  I'm sticking around to give you a bloody nose in a Green shirt to go with your favour colour red Wink"
Gatland: "Oh yeah?  Let's see how long ya last against Scott Williams, big boy.  I'll have him running your way for the full 80.  Let's see how long the non-retirement lasts, bud."

That's a factual record of the conversation.  Nigel Wray told me so in confidence. I signed the confidentiality agreement but the pen I used had no ink.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 28 Oct 2015, 3:16 pm

Can we merge threads? I thought I was reading the original one for a moment, until I read less one-eyed comments.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 28 Oct 2015, 4:25 pm

alive555 wrote:Bath are turning rugby into football. Anything to stop them succeeding im all for !

They wonder why English rugby is going like the French. Maybe cause the teams are full of foreigners ?

Like the Scotland team? Smile

EDIT: In Bath's two games they've average 3 'foreigners' on the pitch.

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Wed 28 Oct 2015, 4:27 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I couldn't believe this when I read it.

It is an odd one.  After all when signing his contract extension Toby was heralded as an exceptional honest and decent man, and one who sticks to his word etc.  Now we are meant to believe that he is wanting to go against a contract that he has made with the Dragons.  I have not seen any comments by him about the potential move, but have a feeling he is in the same boat as North was, happy to see out his contract and then move on afterwards  He is a sadly being used as a commodity to be traded and a tool to be used in PR games.

I got the impression from what I've read that Dragons really wanted to get the money for him, rather than keep him a year and lose the transfer fee?

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 28 Oct 2015, 6:47 pm

Indeed thats the crux - the Drgons wanted the transfer fee but also he must have wanted to leave. Absurd situation and I would love to see a court challenge on restraint of trade IE Bosman

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Oct 2015, 6:57 pm

I imagine that Mike Fords decision to not let Priestland play for Wales would have been a huge part of the WRU decision.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:01 pm

TJ wrote:Indeed thats the crux - the Drgons wanted the transfer fee but also he must have wanted to leave.  Absurd situation and I would love to see a court challenge on restraint of trade IE Bosman

Once again, wasn't the Bosman ruling based on stopping a player from moving when he was out of contract?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I imagine that Mike Fords decision to not let Priestland play for Wales would have been a huge part of the WRU decision.

Pretty sure it's been specifically stated that it was Priestland's decision. Making stuff up and peddling it as fact?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:06 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I imagine that Mike Fords decision to not let Priestland play for Wales would have been a huge part of the WRU decision.

Pretty sure it's been specifically stated that it was Priestland's decision. Making stuff up and peddling it as fact?

Pretty damn sure it was Mike ford who announced it and not Priestland.

Hardly jumping to any conclusions here. 

But whichever way you look at it, the WRU are hardly going to let Faletau go to Bath after Mike fords announcement in Priestland.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm

He announced it but clearly said it was Priestland's decision. It's exactly jumping to conclusions. In fact, it could be used as a definition of jumping to conclusions.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:14 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:He announced it but clearly said it was Priestland's decision. It's exactly jumping to conclusions. In fact, it could be used as a definition of jumping to conclusions.

I don't think ford would admit that they have persuaded Priestland to defer from possible involvement with Wales, as that is against the laws of the sport. But I definitely believe that is exactly what happened. And I am very sure I am not the only one.

The point is that Fords decision will have obviously influenced their decision on Faletau and most likely any other player they review moving to play in England for the foreseeable future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:...I definitely believe that is exactly what happened...
I don't think anyone doubts that. The thing is, if Priestland was to come out later and say "Mike Ford twisted my arm", I'd think "Ah, maestagmafia was right all along".

However, it sounds like even if Priestland says he took the decision himself, you still wouldn't believe him. If there's no evidence you would be prepared to accept to change your view, than that's not an opinion, it's a prejudice.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:He announced it but clearly said it was Priestland's decision. It's exactly jumping to conclusions. In fact, it could be used as a definition of jumping to conclusions.

I don't think ford would admit that they have persuaded Priestland to defer from possible involvement with Wales, as that is against the laws of the sport. But I definitely believe that is exactly what happened. And I am very sure I am not the only one.

The point is that Fords decision will have obviously influenced their decision on Faletau and most likely any other player they review moving to play in England for the foreseeable future.

You believe that is what happened IS jumping to conclusions. Which is fine, we do it all the time. Just stop pretending like that's not what you're doing.

Any player going to an AP team needs to take the hit in salary and make themselves unavailable during the international rest/training points. As long as they don't play any games outside the window they're fine. If Priestland decided to do this (and without doubt it came up during the contract discussions as they want someone to cover for Ford during the window) it's because he wanted the money. The Poopie he got off Welsh 'fans' probably helped his decision making.

FYI shed loads of conclusions being jumped to there, happy to admit.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
I don't think anyone doubts that. The thing is, if Priestland was to come out later and say "Mike Ford twisted my arm", I'd think "Ah, maestagmafia was right all along".

However, it sounds like even if Priestland says he took the decision himself, you still wouldn't believe him. If there's no evidence you would be prepared to accept to change your view, than that's not an opinion, it's a prejudice.

I would have thought if Priestland had made the decision he would ha e announced it a long time ago when he told the WRU that he wanted to move to Bath RFC.

I don't think any Welsh fan would begrudge Priestland making a decision which to many of us would agree, makes good sense for the lad. It just seems dodgy coming from a spokesperson from a club that have been cheating the salary cap in their league and bribing the rest of their league to keep quiet.

I would say that judging the English Premiership and their governing body the prl's behaviour over the last few years, I would not want any Welsh international or potential international playing in that league.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:34 pm

I'm not convinced. I think it's actually having an agenda and force fitting events to satisfy it.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 28 Oct 2015, 7:41 pm

No agenda here but its obvious Preistland was leaned on - or mde an offer that was too good to refuse depending how you look at it. Again the behaviour of these clubs poor in Preistlands case

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Wed 28 Oct 2015, 8:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
I don't think anyone doubts that. The thing is, if Priestland was to come out later and say "Mike Ford twisted [/b]my arm", I'd think "Ah, maestagmafia was right all along".

I would have thought if Priestland had made the decision he would ha e announced it a long time ago when he told the WRU that he wanted to move to Bath RFC.

I don't think any Welsh fan would begrudge Priestland making a decision which to many of us would agree, makes good sense for the lad. It just seems dodgy coming from a spokesperson from a club that have been cheating the salary cap in their league and bribing the rest of their league to keep quiet.

I would say that judging the English Premiership and their governing body the prl's behaviour over the last few years, I would not want any Welsh international or potential international playing in that league.

Remind me how well behaved and co operative the WRU & RRW were during the last few years before the last agreement was signed?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 28 Oct 2015, 9:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

Maes, Jiffy in an article since the Ford statement, said that Priestland needed to grow one and to have a bit of backbone. IMO, he (Priestland) didn't have the guts to issue that statement and let Ford give it, that is why Gatland and the WRU decided to revisit it as they put it and make the Faletau decision.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 28 Oct 2015, 11:31 pm

Screw it. Bath is the root of all evil in Rugby Land.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 29 Oct 2015, 10:13 am

This is crazy. The player wants to leave and the club wants him to go.

Union power can be way too strong sometimes. This needs to be contested for the good of the game.

International rugby is not the be-all and end-all. The club game is ultimately the heartbeat of the sport.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 29 Oct 2015, 10:17 am

Unions need to have the power to make the clubs abide by the rules - but equally the rules need to be fair and sensible

too much club power we have the salery cap cheating being swept under the carpet, too much union silly rules we get this.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 29 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm

Just swap him with Dan Baker for the Ospreys - Problem solved and throw in some cash to ease the pain of losing him. In the past they just left the Dragons without a problem with no compensation.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Thu 29 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

I'm sure the WRU can't force him to stay, especially since he hasn't signed an NDC, so he'll be free to go by the end of his contract should he refuse a renewed NDC offer, and good luck to him, he'll be released during the International breaks anyway, and gives us a chance to test other no 8's outside the window.

Let him decide, and good luck to him whatever he decides.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

TJ wrote:Unions need to have the power to make the clubs abide by the rules - but equally the rules need to be fair and sensible

too much club power we have the salery cap cheating being swept under the carpet, too much union silly rules we get this.

Exactly...

I am glad the WRU are looking to keep him in Wales to strengthen the region he plays for

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu 29 Oct 2015, 12:43 pm

On a good day with little traffic, it is about 30 minutes drive from Bath to Wales and the train takes more or less the same time.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 29 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

cb wrote:On a good day with little traffic, it is about 30 minutes drive from Bath to Wales and the train takes more or less the same time.
Yes, but he arrives a week later than the Welsh boys before the AI and 6N, and  he misses a week twice during the 6N, so a lot longer than 30 minutes.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Oct 2015, 3:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
TJ wrote:Unions need to have the power to make the clubs abide by the rules - but equally the rules need to be fair and sensible

Exactly...

I am glad the WRU are looking to keep him in Wales to strengthen the region he plays for

The region he currently plays for, or will play for? Because if it's the former, how do you know the WRU will keep him at Rodney Parade?

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 29 Oct 2015, 4:03 pm

wayne wrote:
cb wrote:On a good day with little traffic, it is about 30 minutes drive from Bath to Wales and the train takes more or less the same time.
Yes, but he arrives a week later than the Welsh boys before the AI and 6N, and  he misses a week twice during the 6N, so a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Only if it's not contracted. It's only playing during the AP, outside the window, which is against the PRL rules. He could be 'rested' by his club while with the Wales camp. He just couldn't play.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 29 Oct 2015, 4:11 pm

It appears P Thomas of the Blues wants to sign him according to WOL, Bath have screwed up they should have signed him before Priestland effectively retiring from International rugby.

In the case of the Dragons I believe they are still half owned by the WRU hence they have a major say on any transfer.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Oct 2015, 5:22 pm

glamorganalun wrote:It appears P Thomas of the Blues wants to sign him according to WOL, Bath have screwed up they should have signed him before Priestland effectively retiring from International rugby.

In the case of the Dragons I believe they are still half owned by the WRU hence they have a major say on any transfer.

No and no.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

wayne wrote:

He will be played every game. His condition won't be monitored with the aim of prolonging his career.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 29 Oct 2015, 6:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

He will be played every game. His condition won't be monitored with the aim of prolonging his career.

Thats his choice to make tho surely. My issue with this is the WRU saying no to the transfer

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:18 pm

TJ wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

Thats his choice to make tho surely.  My issue with this is the WRU saying no to the transfer

The WRU are trying to keep top players in Wales. What is your issue with them doing that?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:20 pm

wayne wrote:

13 days isn't it?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
TJ wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

Thats his choice to make tho surely.  My issue with this is the WRU saying no to the transfer

The WRU are trying to keep top players in Wales. What is your issue with them doing that?

Encouraging Welsh players to stay in Wales is a good thing, but....

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:27 pm

TJ wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

And maybe Toby would like to win some silverware too. He sure aint going to win nowt with the Newport gwent poodles.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:49 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:

13 days isn't it?

The window starts 13 days before the game, they would have 3 days with Wales before going back to their club for the game that weekend. Then they would be back with Wales.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Oct 2015, 8:01 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:

13 days isn't it?

The window starts 13 days before the game, they would have 3 days with Wales before going back to their club for the game that weekend.  Then they would be back with Wales.

If the players play in Wales, they stay with Wales unless Gats releases them. The foreign based players return to their clubs though. Been like this since 2007 I think.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 29 Oct 2015, 8:24 pm

I thought they were talking about Welsh players in England. It was 2008 or 2009 I think. It was just after the RFU agreed to pay the clubs for extra release, which was then expanded by IRB regulation anyway.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 29 Oct 2015, 8:27 pm

TJ wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

Because Taulupe is still on a contract. That's how they can say no; RSA agreement.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next