The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Rafa is not liked at RG?

+12
Haddie-nuff
Kay Fabe
superochog
michael_o
socal1976
sportslover
lydian
Wooffie
legendkillar
Tenez
sonic_boom10
wow
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Rafa is not liked at RG? Empty Why Rafa is not liked at RG?

Post by wow Wed 1 Jun - 20:53

It is quite strange to see that Parisians do not rejoice much on Rafa's exploits at RG. He has been one of the best player to play there but that has not guaranteed him the affection of the locals.

I think that the reasons behind that could be:

Fed speaks French which means that Parisians favor and like him more than Nadal and wants to see him winning there again and again (which certainly has not been the case)

Nadal's style of celeberating- it is too machoistic. The fist pumps, angry face can get you on your nerves specially if you are not a Nadal fan.

Nadal's ability to defend, defend and defend.

your thoughts.

wow

Back to top Go down

Why Rafa is not liked at RG? Empty Re: Why Rafa is not liked at RG?

Post by sonic_boom10 Wed 1 Jun - 20:56

French love Federer and Nadal batters Federer, therefore French dislike Nadal.

Plain stupidity

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 1 Jun - 20:58

sonic_boom10 wrote:French love Federer and Nadal batters Federer, therefore French dislike Nadal.

Plain stupidity

Is that it? I was reading somewhere that Parisians appreciate artistic tennis which Nadal doesn't to display too often.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 1 Jun - 21:00

Here is the subject discussed already:

https://www.606v2.com/t5627-nadal-booed-again-at-the-french-open
LOL! good one wow!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Wed 1 Jun - 21:01

wow wrote:
sonic_boom10 wrote:French love Federer and Nadal batters Federer, therefore French dislike Nadal.

Plain stupidity

Is that it? I was reading somewhere that Parisians appreciate artistic tennis which Nadal doesn't to display too often.
Exactly, Federer is an artist whom the French love. Nadal isn't so they dislike him

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 1 Jun - 21:18

People pay their money and I guess they would argue they are entitled to support who they like.

I as a tennis fan cannot see anything to dislike about Nadal or for any other player for that reason. If I was a full on Nadal fan I would ask for example who is Nadal, who never swears on court, never smashes a racket is disliked compared to a Murray who bears these traits?

Some posters have made reference to his tennis, yet the first 8 games of the Murray match were defence/passive tennis and yet the fans cheered him right to end with chants if ANDEEEEE. I am a big fan of Nadal's play. He makes the impossible possible on so many points he seems no chance of winning.

I wish that tennis fans respect players at the end of the day. For what Nadal has done in tennis he should be cheered for success.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 1 Jun - 21:25

legendkillar wrote:People pay their money and I guess they would argue they are entitled to support who they like.

I as a tennis fan cannot see anything to dislike about Nadal or for any other player for that reason. If I was a full on Nadal fan I would ask for example who is Nadal, who never swears on court, never smashes a racket is disliked compared to a Murray who bears these traits?

Some posters have made reference to his tennis, yet the first 8 games of the Murray match were defence/passive tennis and yet the fans cheered him right to end with chants if ANDEEEEE. I am a big fan of Nadal's play. He makes the impossible possible on so many points he seems no chance of winning.

I wish that tennis fans respect players at the end of the day. For what Nadal has done in tennis he should be cheered for success.
[b]

I totally agree with that and this is what wins most of the matches for him. Sod was on the verge of a break in the third set but he just could not bring his best when it mattered the most.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 1 Jun - 21:58

Where this all started was back in 2005 when an 18-year-old Rafa was playing French player, Sebastien Grosjean. Rafa had already won the first set when Grosjean hit a shot long that gave a game to Rafa, but Grosjean queried the call and the linesman refused to come down and check. So cue the Parisians doing what they think they have their right to do, and they jeered and booed and wouldn't shut up. But the umpire was adament and would not budge. Rafa tried to get the match started again, but he then he just got it off them for doing so. Classy behaviour towards an 18 year-old boy. Anyway, it threw him off and he lost that game.

He then of course went on to beat Federer that year, and subsequent years, so that didn't go down well with them either, being the "knowledgeable" crowd that they are. And I believe that in Rafa's 2007 [Spanish] on-court speech after beating Federer, he was wrongly translated and therefore came across as if he wasn't being respectful enough towards Federer ... so he got some boo's for that.

Frankly, they don't deserve him.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 1 Jun - 22:17

Where this all started was back in 2005 when an 18-year-old Rafa was playing French player, Sebastien Grosjean.
------------------------

No. That's not quite true Woffie. I perfectly remember that incident and the crowd was booing for teh sake of booing and NOT against Nadal. They just wanted to make a mess of a bad call and maybe were hoping Nadal would be unsettled. But there was nothing against Nadal at that time.

But as already mentioned in another thread, you may find that the crowd often cheers for Nadal's opponents cause they take the risk and Nadal teases them like he did today against Soderling.

As most of the points were made from Soderling's UEs, the crowd wanted to encourage and cheer winners and not UEs.

Even the non charismatic Davydenko gets the crowd behind him when playing Nadal in other countries.

I really think people at large want to see winners and cheer for those who try to hit winners.

The French crowd, maybe more than others, like a good shot. And when Nadal plays one, we can hear the cheers too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 1 Jun - 22:28

One of the problems for the french is that their personality doesnt really suit the often hard slog of clay - they would rather have the flashing blade game of grass tennis. I dont think they endear to the gae Nadal plays, and I also think there's a french/spanish divide - i.e. french snobbery versus the spanish.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 1 Jun - 22:43

Well Tenez ... I saw it, and how it was reported at the time and has always been reported subsequently (plenty of sources), is that it started because they were booing the umpire for not getting down from his chair. Rafa was standing there bouncing the ball with his racquet hoping for a moment to start up, but couldn't. As he wanted to move the game on, they carried on booing with his efforts to do so. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I'm not the only one that sees it that way.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 1 Jun - 22:45

What about Nadal's post match celebrations? I simply love Djoko's celebrations when he beats Nadal. I do not see Djoko getting that elated when he beats Murray or Fed.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 1 Jun - 22:53

wow

As far as Novak and Andy are concerned the fact that they are good friends off court probably explains it.

Also Rafa and Andy have a mutual respect for each other so nothing there.

I would say the odd man out is Federer especially when he gets beat!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 1 Jun - 22:53

Wooffie wrote:Well Tenez ... I saw it, and how it was reported at the time and has always been reported subsequently (plenty of sources), is that it started because they were booing the umpire for not getting down from his chair. Rafa was standing there bouncing the ball with his racquet hoping for a moment to start up, but couldn't. As he wanted to move the game on, they carried on booing with his efforts to do so. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

That I agree! But they were not booing Nadal nor did that start up a negative image of Nadal. The crowd that was there at this event is not the same as the one that was booing Nadal years later. It's not the same people that come everyday. There is a big turn over as you can imagine.

The reasons for cheering the opponent are in my view those I describe above.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun - 23:40

"The crowd that was there at this event is not the same as the one that was booing Nadal years later"

Why not ? maybe not to a man but the same people go to Wimbledon every year, why not at the FO ?

Nadal has always had a off reception at RG, sometimes its bad, sometimes its just lukewarm, but its never been the height of Federer's fame and fortune there.

Even winning it 5 times hasn't won them over completely.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 2 Jun - 5:36

The parisians would boo Santa Claus, In short they are the second worst crowd in all of tennis. Goes to their arrogance in that they think they live in the center of the universe and everyone has to cowtow constantly to their whims and desires.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 2 Jun - 8:45

I go to Wimbledon every year and I can tell you not many do so and the chance to have the same people days apart are extrememely low let alone years apart.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Thu 2 Jun - 9:56

The Paris crowd's so-called antipathy towards Nadal is somewhat contradicted by the fact that there's not an empty seat to be seen when he plays.

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 2 Jun - 10:00

michael_o wrote:The Paris crowd's so-called antipathy towards Nadal is somewhat contradicted by the fact that there's not an empty seat to be seen when he plays.

Because people come to see him lose which does not happen too often. I would go to every match of his to see him lose (wishful thinking). Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 2 Jun - 10:03

wow wrote:
michael_o wrote:The Paris crowd's so-called antipathy towards Nadal is somewhat contradicted by the fact that there's not an empty seat to be seen when he plays.

Because people come to see him lose which does not happen too often. I would go to every match of his to see him lose (wishful thinking). Smile

I take you are on your way to Paris for Fridays match then Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Thu 2 Jun - 10:42

If Parisian dislike Nadal because of his style, then I suppose they won't be supporting Bartoli the bunny Rolling Eyes

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 2 Jun - 13:09

The paris tennis crowd is awful, they are quick to boo and even hiss at players. The only crowd in tennis that is worse is the NY crowd.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 2 Jun - 18:28

sportslover wrote:
wow wrote:

I take you are on your way to Paris for Fridays match then Laugh

Andy has never beaten Nadal on clay bfore, so I think it might not happen on Fri but hopefully on Sun.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 2 Jun - 19:25

If Nadal went two years without winning at RG then the French would love him the 3rd year

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 2 Jun - 19:54

I am sorry can't stand the paris crowd, really can't no crowd is as quick to go nasty and negative on a player than paris. Who cares if they don't like him, it only reflects poorly on them to treat a great champion coldly, exposes their cynical and petty nature.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 2 Jun - 22:17

socal1976 wrote:I am sorry can't stand the paris crowd, really can't no crowd is as quick to go nasty and negative on a player than paris. Who cares if they don't like him, it only reflects poorly on them to treat a great champion coldly, exposes their cynical and petty nature.

Socal Im not sure that it is Rafa in person they so dislike or that he is Spanish.. A Spanish No 1. is almost too much to bear !!!!! there is indeed a lot of bad blood between the two nationalities.. I see it often.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 6:48

Haddie, maybe that is the case I am not european so I don't know too much about this french and spanish divide. The parisians in general though are a nasty tennis crowd. Is there some sort of historical basis for this antipathy? I mean its not like they are holding a grudge from the time of Louis xxiv and the hapsburgs?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 3 Jun - 7:44

I cant really say socal.. I think it is historically based but there is most definitely a divide whether there was some long ago battle for land grab I couldn´t say. There is a definite division England/German here and so I find it safer to keep friends with the Spanish who are after all mine hosts and a sprinkling of my own otherwise I could find myself in the "war of the worlds". If you follow my meaning Why Rafa is not liked at RG? 1479719350

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 7:46

lots of love between teh French and the brits though!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 7:49

Haddie, it seems like the french are very popular with their neighbors; England, Spain, Germany i know all seem to really get along with them. I knew about the great divide between England vis a vis France and Germany but I had no idea about a Spanish and French divide. I guess you learn something new everyday.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 3 Jun - 7:51

Tenez wrote:lots of love between teh French and the brits though!

I think maybe not but if you were to take England (out of GB) then there probably has been a better relationship with the other three!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 7:55

Thats true Scotland and France are ancient allies bonded by their dislike of the english. As a student of history I find these medieval european rivalries quite interesting, so medieval and entertaining. Now they settle their disputes with football and not wars, so much better that way I feel.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 7:59

We can really read funny things here...especially when Haddie and Socal are at it.

Yes France is like the European Israel!

Castilians and Catalans love each others of course. Basque and Spanish are long time buddies.

Do you think Socal there is a "divide" between Iranians and Irakians?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 3 Jun - 8:01

Im speaking from a different "viewpoint" the things you see from Britain looking out are not the same viewed in reverse believe me...
Otherwise you read and believe too many English Newspapers.
The differnces between nationalities are far more prominent when not living in your home country. You are conscious always that you are a guest here . Havent seen too much evidence of the "love" you speak of French or otherwise. Certainly in the main the Spanish like the Brits

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 8:01

sportslover wrote:
Tenez wrote:lots of love between teh French and the brits though!

I think maybe not but if you were to take England (out of GB) then there probably has been a better relationship with the other three!

That's a case for "the ennemy of my ennemy is my friend" thread! Wink

Last edited by Tenez on Fri 3 Jun - 8:03; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 3 Jun - 8:03

Tenez wrote:We can really read funny things here...especially when Haddie and Socal are at it.

Yes France is like the European Israel!

Castilians and Catalans love each others of course. Basque and Spanish are long time buddies.

Do you think Socal there is a "divide" between Iranians and Irakians?

Your first comment is meant to mean what actually Tenez... ??? explain what you consider to be "funny"

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 3 Jun - 8:04

socal1976 wrote:Thats true Scotland and France are ancient allies bonded by their dislike of the english. As a student of history I find these medieval european rivalries quite interesting, so medieval and entertaining. Now they settle their disputes with football and not wars, so much better that way I feel.

Football - Don't go there socal!

Murray did and he attracted the biggest load of wums ever known on 606 (tennis forum) because of a comment made about it Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 8:09

Tenez, Iranians are even less popular with their arab neighbors than France's popularity level with their English and German friends. The only reason I mentioned it was because I am a bit of history buff, and I had never really heard about a Spanish/French divide. I wanted to know if there is a source to the animosity.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 8:15

Borders are made with the blood of people living on each side so there will always be some divide between countries.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 8:22

True statement Tenez, I had never heard of Spanish french divide so to speak. Found it interesting from historical perspective. Your last post was the smartest thing you have ever said, maybe there is hope for you on the tennis front.

Last edited by socal1976 on Fri 3 Jun - 8:25; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 3 Jun - 8:24

Why Rafa is not liked at RG? 2311609923

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 3 Jun - 8:34

Hmm, so Rafa's not so popular debate turns political.

If French crowd is bad then they will be booing everyone but I do not think that is the case. I think that they do not like Rafa's brand of tennis but when he plays good they cheer for him.
Flushing meadows is the worst as they even keep shouting and booing during the points.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 8:52

I had never heard of Spanish french divide so to speak
----------------

NO more no less than with any other country. In fact the Pyrenees acted as a natural border and prevented much more wars I am sure.

I am pretty sure there is much more divide between Spanish and Catalan and basques than against the French.

People refuse to see here that Nadal's game is not amongst the prefered ones in a knowledgeable tennis crowd.

Whatever you might say the crowd is behaving pretty well. Weds are a bit noisy but that is because we let a lot of kids in.

Even Schiavone was thanking the crowd yesterday for their behavious cause they know that in other countries, including hers, it can be more partial when one of their players in on court.

So this political debate you are having is non-sense...if you ask me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 3 Jun - 8:59

Well we weren´t.... but then it has to be right because Tenez says so seen from your side of the pond... try coming to Spain

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 9:04

Its not really even a french debate other tournaments in France the crowds behave much better. I am American and I loathe the New york crowd, the only crowd in my mind worse than paris. Wow, is correct in Ny they routinely yell out during the service because it amuses them. Frankly, they stink and so does the parisian crowd. Number 1 and 2 worst crowds in tennis by a mile (or 1.65 km for you metric types). The spanish french divide thing was a bit of curiosity because I honestly had never heard of any great animosity or rivalry and as a someone with a history degree I was interested to see if there was some sort of political, cultural, or historical basis. I am happy to let it go, its not that big of deal to me.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 3 Jun - 9:08

French crowds have always been a bit funny, when they get behind a player or team they do it loadly but when its not going well they are just as vocal in a negative way.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 3 Jun - 9:17

try coming to Spain.
---------------

I lived in Spain for a year and have been going there every year for the last 46! Often twice and I have sisters living there. So I know Spain pretty well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 3 Jun - 9:18

eirebelly, the NY crowd is always vocal to either for or against a player. But what annoys me with both crowds is their lack of respect for tennis etiquette and their cynical nature. It is enough for you to challenge a line call on a french player and they start whistling and booing and won't let it go. In fact, the player often is correct and the umpire overrules. In my mind it goes a great deal to this sort of 1st city mentality new yorkers and parisians have where they both feel like they are living in the center of the universe and that makes them so much more special than everyone else. I have had this experience with New yorkers in southern california where I lived the vast majority of my life. New yorkers always move to southern california and spend the rest of their lives complaining about how New york has better culture, resturants, bars, museums etc. etc. But you will find a million New yorkers living in LA, but you won't find more than a couple of hundred Angelinos living in NY. Paris is the same way, they have this feeling of the world revolves around us that you can only get from living in a great global city, but it can be a bit annoying frankly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 3 Jun - 9:21

now this turns into a city debate, interesting. Rolling Eyes

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 3 Jun - 9:24

I cant say too much about New York as i have only been there twice. It has always been the rule of thumb, when playing a Franch side (or french player) in France, that you dominate early and get the French crowd to turn against their team/player. Not very nice but a good tool.

As for Rafa, he is just not the type of player the french public appreciate, i dont understand this as he is a great player to watch in my books.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next