The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Should Rafa Do?

+10
laverfan
FedsFan
invisiblecoolers
ChequeredJersey
barrystar
lags72
bogbrush
time please
reckoner
hawkeye
14 posters

Go down

What Should Rafa Do?

What Should Rafa Do? Vote_lcap18%What Should Rafa Do? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
What Should Rafa Do? Vote_lcap6%What Should Rafa Do? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
What Should Rafa Do? Vote_lcap0%What Should Rafa Do? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
What Should Rafa Do? Vote_lcap0%What Should Rafa Do? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
What Should Rafa Do? Vote_lcap64%What Should Rafa Do? Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 17

What Should Rafa Do? Empty What Should Rafa Do?

Post by hawkeye Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 am

I have just read through some of the comments in the "Not Good News For The Olympics" thread.

https://www.606v2.com/t32759-not-good-news-for-olympics

And now I dont know what to think... Nadal had to withdraw from the Olympics because of a knee injury. He already has a gold medal. My advice to him would be rest up, remember you already have a medal and you will be fresher than other players for the US Open. This apparently was not good advice and his problems are far more serious than an injured knee. So what exactly are Nadal's problems and what should he do about them. I have tried to include all his possible problems as assessed by the good posters on 606v2 and some of the more obvious solutions. If I have missed anything please feel free to add to what has become an ever expanding list. But sorry you can only tick one box in the poll. If you think he has multiple problems then my advice would be to tick what you think his worst problem is... and quietly seeth about the others

I'm sure everyone has Rafa's best interests at heart. You don't have to guess what option I've gone for...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

What Should Rafa Do? Empty Re: What Should Rafa Do?

Post by reckoner Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 am

Try golf?

He can take as long as he needs to line up a shot, talk to his caddy (no doubt Uncle T would be up for it) and there'd be no need to run.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 am

hawkeye wrote:So what exactly are Nadal's problems and what should he do about them. I have tried to include all his possible problems as assessed by the good posters on 606v2 and some of the more obvious solutions. If I have missed anything please feel free to add to what has become an ever expanding list. But sorry you can only tick one box in the poll. If you think he has multiple problems then my advice would be to tick what you think his worst problem is... and quietly seeth about the others

Laugh Laugh

I do enjoy your posting HE - I don't know anyone else that cloaks their antipathy so sweetly!

For my part you'll have to excuse all my spejaculations (to paraphrase barry's immortal line) but I rather thought that was half the fun of a forum, wouldn't you agree? Cool

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:31 am

I think he should sell his ass ets.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:37 am

reckoner wrote:Try golf?

He can take as long as he needs to line up a shot, talk to his caddy (no doubt Uncle T would be up for it) and there'd be no need to run.
Actually he'd be no good at that because they really enforce the time rules in golf.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:58 am

Maybe we need another box for the poll :

"Rafa should join 606v2 and thus avail himself of all the advice and expertise freely offered on how to play tennis (by those Forum members who know best Wink) and how to conduct himself generally, on and off the court"

Plus, he could of course take as much time as he wants in between points, er..sorry, posts.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 am

Just when I was feeling cynical and sad about not just the amount of harsh criticism that a certain multi slam winning all time great comes in for but also the increasing amount of furrowed brow concern. In some ways the furrowed brow concern left me even sadder and more cynical than the harsh criticism...

Anyway this poll has come along and restored my faith in fellow posters. 80% (including me) are of the view that for Rafa there may be light at the end of the tunnel... Can the poll be closed now? Quickly before it gets spoiled.

lags72. I'm sure your offer to Rafa to join 606v2 was well meaning but I'm not sure he should do it. He appears to be quite sensitive and may get more than a little upset at some of the things he may see.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 am

Fair enough he, you could be right.

Another win at the USO, and hence finishing the year with two Slams, would hardly be considered a poor season, and I'd put him as favourite there - always assuming the knees (+ whatever ....) are sorted. And he will be coming into it as perhaps the most rested of all the likely contenders - R2 exit at Wimbledon, no Olympics ....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 am

lags72 wrote:Fair enough he, you could be right.

Another win at the USO, and hence finishing the year with two Slams, would hardly be considered a poor season, and I'd put him as favourite there - always assuming the knees (+ whatever ....) are sorted. And he will be coming into it as perhaps the most rested of all the likely contenders - R2 exit at Wimbledon, no Olympics ....

I agree that finishing the year with two slams would constitute an excellent year and whilst I might not have him as favourite on current evidence of recent form, it's pretty close at the top and winning is definitely very doable for him.

Like Federer the draw is all-important for Nadal. If he's in the same half as Djokovic that's really bad news for him. If he scrapes through a 5hr plus slugfest vs. Djokovic in the SF then I'd reckon Murray or Federer should feel pretty good against him in the final.

If he's on Federer's side of the draw then it's truly game on for him - he's got a very consistent record of making the SF for the last 4 years at the USO and you've got to put him as favourite to beat Fed there over five sets should they meet.

I guess you've got to accept that a match at the USO vs. Del Boy, Ferrer, Berdych or Tsonga is not a foregone conclusion, but as ever he's going to be one of the favourites if not necessrily the favourite.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 am

Rafa should rest for the year or until the USO depending on how serious the injury is
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 am

Good assessment there barrystar, although things are all a bit hazy right now. We should have a much clearer picture closer to the start of the USO itself, once we have an idea of just how well he has recuperated (or not ....??) from whatever issues are currently troubling him. Maybe it's a period of rest that's needed, pure & simple, and the waters have been needlessly muddied by these oddly enigmatic and at times conflicting comments emanating from 'The Camp'

On a wider point, and for the longer term, I believe that Rafa must try to dominate the tour overall, rather than have these seemingly stop-start bursts and hot spells followed by protracted breaks from the game. Obviously he cannot control the timing of his injuries but will it forever be like this for Rafa ...?? Erm Plus, if Djokovic comes back strongly after the disappointments of RG and Wimbledon, then Rafa has more than just injuries and/or fatigue to worry about.

Rafa is now into his later twenties but in only one season of his career to date has his tour titles tally got into double figures ; and ironically that was way back in 2005. And in only one season has he won three Slams.

The above are high benchmarks to set admittedly and don't come easy or regularly ; but both are something that Federer achieved in three separate years, such was his dominance in his prime. And even now at 31 Federer is once again proving an obstacle to Rafa accumulating further weeks at Number one (currently 102)

I don't think future results against Federer are anywhere near as important as they once were per se. Agreed, in a Bo5 clash Rafa should be clear favourite anyway. Fed's best work is largely done, and the next 3 or 4 years are far more about Rafa and the degree to which (even with all the fine achievements he already has in the bank) he can go on to be the dominant player of the tour. This surely is a key factor in determining his ultimate legacy in the sport.

Last edited by lags72 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : data correction)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Somebody even answered this thread seriously , pls forgive that poster Hawkeye thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 am

I think Nadal went all out (if it was possible to be anymore intensive than he already is) to win the FO. He desperately wanted that no 7 as he probably knows it is not likely he can take the lead in the other slams. Can you see him winning 7+ Wimbledons? Its a bit of a task.

Also, he was poor on the grass in Halle too and Wimbledon this year was playing faster than other years. The quicker the grass the more difficult for him. I think if u went back 10+ years he would never have won due to the court speed which is why a Spaniad had not won for 42 years.

I think when he loses like this he lacks belief in himself. I am not saying he is not having knee problems. I just feel he would rather not play than show up and lose. This is worse for him as he is so competitive. I remember when he pulled out of Wimbledon in 2009 he said he feels confident moving onto grass after a successful RG. Maybe as Wimbledon was not a success this year for him he decided to skip the Olympics? Its a big decision as he will be 30 when the next Olympics come around. He has nothing to worry about fortunately as he has won gold anyway but I'm sure he would have liked 2 medals.

I believe he will hit the US hard courts with a sense of purpose and clean up at the USO. Let's face it, there was one man who had discovered the formula i.e Djokovic to beating Nadal. Put Djokovic against Nadal now and it will be an entirely different result.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 am

Own up! Who ticked option 4?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 pm

HE..

Q. How many 606v2 polls does it take to 'fix' what is wrong with Nadal? Laugh

A: None. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm

laverfan wrote:HE..

How many 606v2 thread we required to sort out Murray?

A: Countless [I don't think He ever gonna stop that] Run

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

The first and last answers would seem to be best, although I guess option 1 is not really something Rafa can do himself. I'd like to see him come back good and strong for the US swing. However, if he continues to break the rules then I would like the umpires to actually enforce them. If it then transpires that he can't play without breaking the rules (which I don't believe) then option 2 would seem to be the right answer.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Ha ha! I don't believe you think he is perfect. Was it you that ticked option 4 because he keeps beating Murray?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

invisiblecoolers

This thread is about Nadal if you haven't noticed. If you want my views on sorting out Murray laverfan has an excellent tip. Just look up my past articles. Anyway I don't think Murray needs sorting out. Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are all in decline for various reasons. No other players have a chance and Murray's tears after losing to Federer prove his iron will and steely determination. He is going to gain the number 1 spot in 2013 and hold onto it for a very very long time. Didn't you know?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I think Rafa should spend the summer cycling up with his Doc and then come back, Hulk-like, at the USO.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I think Rafa should buy some plastic knees.

Seek hypnotherapy 'I must not take longer than 20 seconds between points' would work wonders.

Not wear pants due to the countless wedgies. Not a sight I want to witness, but in fairness it beats the countless arss picking most are subjected to witnessing.

Less trophy biting. I am sure someone has told him they are not made of chocolate!

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I think Rafa should:

1) Eat more rice pudding. It is gluten free! (May contain nuts)

2) Bring back the capri pants. Ever since he's stopped wearing them he's been in decline.

3) Get a girlfriend. It would be a kindness to stop his middle aged groupies pining for him and allow them to get on with their lives.

4) Apply for British nationality. He'd be a megastar and what's more it would stop Sue Barker whining on about the lack of a British winner for 78 million years.

5) Grow a walrus moustache and start a bank. This tennis lark is all very well but it is pequeña cerveza compared to banking.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

You've set him quite some challenges there reckoner

Thought number 3 at least was already covered...?

Is she not the one of whom we see regular shots when the camera pans around the player's box ..... chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Ha ha! I don't believe you think he is perfect. Was it you that ticked option 4 because he keeps beating Murray?

He is fine. Why does he need 'fixin' at all? BTW, I did not tick any options? Why this doom and gloom poll? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:14 pm

lags72 wrote:You've set him quite some challenges there reckoner

Thought number 3 at least was already covered...?

Is she not the one of whom we see regular shots when the camera pans around the player's box ..... chin

Oh yes, you're quite right. Well let's hope the Rafanatics get the message that all their dithering is in vain... Whistle

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Actually the more you think about it reckoner, they're all perfectly do-able with the possible exception of securing British nationality as per number 4. Mind you, the relevant authorities here in Blighty have been pretty lax & free-thinking about that sort of thing for many years now. And as for starting a bank ....he must have more than enough cash to do so.

Anyway, enough, enough ...... you're getting me into bad habits Shocked

I'm going to put my serious hat on once gain and repeat my previous prediction that Rafa will come back strongly, and will most likely take the US Open, thereby finishing up with more Slams than anyone else this season .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:05 am

Very Happy lags, come to the Dark Side! mwahahahhaha! ghost thumbsup

I'm not sure about the USO - Federer would have a point to prove if he runs into Nadal there and the faster the court the more I'd favour Fed to win. That's of course if he doesn't go walkabout!

Surely Djokovic (and conceivably Murray) should be considered the favourite against Nadal at the USO as well. I guess we'll see how they're all holding up after the North American HC swing.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 am

f) Get a girlfriend. It would be a kindness to stop his middle aged groupies pining for him and allow them to get on with their livesor him and allow them to get on with their lives

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Xisca+Perelo&form=MSNH90&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-5&x=130&y=18

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 am

reckoner - my thinking is that of all the main contenders Rafa will have played the least tennis, had the most R & R time and so should be freshest coming into the USO, even after Toronto and Cincy Masters

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:37 pm

lags72 wrote:reckoner - my thinking is that of all the main contenders Rafa will have played the least tennis, had the most R & R time and so should be freshest coming into the USO, even after Toronto and Cincy Masters

yeah that's true, hey I half expect him to be serving 140 bombs at the USO with commentators saying how remarkable it is...

still don't think he's the favourite at the USO though. I mean, when did the guy last win anything off clay?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

lol reckoner...you just love Nadal dont you
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 pm

lydian wrote:lol reckoner...you just love Nadal dont you

Darn it lydian don't tell everyone shhhhhhhhhh!

I don't have anything against Nadal per se, just take issue with the unquestioning adulation thrown his way.

Anyway - my opinion matters not a jot - I'm just some poster on a forum...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:23 am

Write his victory speech for the upcoming US open?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down