The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December

+19
Cyril
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
VinceWLB
Chunky Norwich
mikey_dragon
MacKnocked-on
BigGee
Tattie Scones RRN
Eejit
2ndtimeround
IanBru
Hazel Sapling
cakeordeath
RDW
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Empty Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:42 am

Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Scarle11     Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Glasgo12
Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors

Saturday 19 December 2015
KO: 19:45
Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

Live on BT Sport / beIN Sports

Referee Pascal Gauzere (France)
Touch Judge 1 Maxime Chalon (France)
Touch Judge 2 Jean-Luc Rebollal (France)
Fourth Official Stuart Kibble (Wales)
TMO Bruno Bessot (France)
Assessor Michael Carroll (Ireland)
Citing Commissioner Mike Rafter (England)

A. European Head to Head

5 Played 5
4 Wins 1
0 Losses 4
0 Draws 0
152 Points 114

B. Recent Form

Sat 12 December 2015
Glasgow Warriors 43 - 6 Scarlets

Sat 5 September 2015
Glasgow Warriors 10 - 16 Scarlets

Fri 9 January 2015
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Fri 21 November 2014
Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

C. Teams

Scarlets
Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Scarle10
Michael Collins; Steffan Evans, Gareth Owen, Hadleigh Parkes, DTH van der Merwe; Aled Thomas, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Emyr Phillips (capt), Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Maselino Paulino, Lewis Rawlins, Jack Condy, Morgan Allen.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Wyn Jones, Rhodri Jones, George Earle, Tom Price, Aled Davies, Steve Shingler, Harry Robinson.

Glasgow Warriors
Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Hulk_t10
15. Tommy Seymour
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Sean Lamont
10. Finn Russell
9. Mike Blair

1. Alex Allan
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Leone Nakarawa
5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
6. Rob Harley
7. Simone Favaro
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements:

16. Shalva Mamukashvili
17. Gordon Reid
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Grayson Hart
22. Duncan Weir
23. Lee Jones

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:02 am

Injuries permitting we should go for the same 23. That does not take into account Toonie's Tombola or players that need rest - does even the unbreakable Josh Strauss look a bit tired ?

Anyway away on me Xmas hols so good luck to the lads in Llanelli and at The Library.

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:40 am

Same again from Glasgow. I watched the highlights last night and I thought Big T was immense. He creates so much space for others as well as the opposition have to commit numbers to bring him down.

If Glasgow can repeat the result in Llanelli then hopes are still very much alive. Racing will not enjoy the trip to Scotstoun.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:45 am

I'm convinced that the Scarlets will continue to play their second string. I also think the Tombola will continue to put out a pretty strong XV and then rest players over the festive season when we have two easy games to coast through.
If we pick up a LBP in Paris and a win in Northampton then we could be in with a chance of the quarters.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 10:18 am

jimbopip wrote:I'm convinced that the Scarlets will continue to play their second string. I also think the Tombola will continue to put out a pretty strong XV and then rest players over the festive season when we have two easy games to coast through.
If we pick up a LBP in Paris and a win in Northampton then we could be in with a chance of the quarters.

That's going to be your key game. I'd assume that you'll lose to Racing in Paris and you need to win your home game against them. Then it all comes down to Saints, who completely bossed you at Scotstoun. You have to find a way of dealing with their physicality across the park and be a bit more clever. The way you played against the Scarlets at the weekend is a good blue print, albeit Saints won't give you anything like that much space or momentum.

That all said, if you don't beat the Scarlets away then it's all over.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 10:50 am

Totally agree FES, I posted this yesterday on another thread;

On another train of thought;

has the group just opened up for Glasgow?

Scarlets are out and will most likely put out a weakened team again next week. Glasgow should be looking for 5pts.

Racing come to Scotstoun on the last weekend, by which time they should have won the group. In which case Glasgow should be looking to win that game given that the French sides traditionally don't travel well and they should be resting their bigger names.

The re-arranged match in Paris? Well, given the way Racing destroyed Saints yesterday I think an LBP would constitute a good result.

Which means that, as I have said before warning , our trip to Franklin Gardens becomes the decider for the runner up spot.

So; 5 +1+4+4 = 14+ 5 that we have already = 19 points. would that be enough to see us through? Who knows, but if we lose at Northampton it's all over.

After Saturday I don't see Scarlets Seconds beating us. So really it all depends on how seriously they want to win a dead match. Dead from their point of view but very much alive for Glasgow.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:49 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Same again from Glasgow. I watched the highlights last night and I thought Big T was immense.
Could you direct me to the appropriate Tinternet linky viewing medium in order that I can do the same?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:59 am

GC, obviously Big T is catching everyone's eye but Favaro and Malcolm had stormers. Actually you would be hard pushed to find anyone in a Glasgow shirt who had a poor game.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:05 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Same again from Glasgow. I watched the highlights last night and I thought Big T was immense.
Could you direct me to the appropriate Tinternet linky viewing medium in order that I can do the same?

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchdaytv

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:18 pm

George Carlin wrote:

I watched it on TV I'm afraid (with invaluable insight from Dallaglio and Ugo Moyne). I think Moyne wears glasses to make him look clever.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:19 pm

Jim, so why is our scrum suddenly passable/reasonable?

Is this just a false sense of hope prior to the Saints pack throwing us around like confetti?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:20 pm

jimbopip wrote:GC, obviously Big T is catching everyone's eye but Favaro and Malcolm had stormers. Actually you would be hard pushed to find anyone in a Glasgow shirt who had a poor game.

Malcolm did show up well. He must be your first choice hooker at the moment which, given his age, is remarkable.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:21 pm

George Carlin wrote:Jim, so why is our scrum suddenly passable/reasonable?

Is this just a false sense of hope prior to the Saints Edinburgh pack throwing us around like confetti?

You know it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Is this just a false sense of hope prior to the Saints Edinburgh pack throwing us around like confetti?

You know it.
Not to worry. We'll be fine.

We'll just give the ball to your backline and watch a small committee form as they try and establish (a) what this egg shaped thing is, and (b) how they plan to squander it in this particular phase of play.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:57 pm

Is this just a false sense of hope prior to the Saints pack throwing us around like confetti?

That's a tricky one , George.
At first I thought it was a case of our second/third choice front row being better than their second/third choice but late in the game when the now mandatory replacements came on Scarlets introduced Samson Lee and we brought on Buffy's Mate and we got better!!! Shocked

I think we can all agree that Glasgow have not really fired on all cylinders for most of this season. Well, on Saturday everything seemed to fall into place. That's probably more true for the scrum than anywhere else on the park as all eight have to work together, but certainly Grant and Puafisi looked like they suddenly remembered why they wanted to be there in the first place. The short answer is probably that they worked hard all week and it paid off. Let's hope they continue working just as hard this week. Methinks the tombola may come into play over the next two weeks to allay any complacency.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:59 pm

jimbopip wrote:GC, obviously Big T is catching everyone's eye but Favaro and Malcolm had stormers. Actually you would be hard pushed to find anyone in a Glasgow shirt who had a poor game.

I agree 100%. I think Malcolm deserves special comment. 21 years old. First start. Didn't look out of place at all, and his throwing looked pretty good.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

You know it.

I am afraid I agree 100% with this as well

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:15 pm

jimbopip wrote:

At first I thought it was a case of our second/third choice front row being better than their second/third choice but late in the game when the now mandatory replacements came on Scarlets introduced Samson Lee and we brought on Buffy's Mate and we got better!!! Shocked

I think we can all agree that Glasgow have not really fired on all cylinders for most of this season. Well, on Saturday everything seemed to fall into place. That's probably more true for the scrum than anywhere else on the park as all eight have to work together, but certainly Grant and Puafisi looked like they suddenly remembered why they wanted to be there in the first place. The short answer is probably that they worked hard all week and it paid off. Let's hope they continue working just as hard this week. Methinks the tombola may come into play over the next two weeks to allay any complacency.

I hope it is only a temporary blip or the Scarlets were just really bad in the scrums - scrum dominance is just about the only thing we can hope for in 2 weekends time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 2:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

I hope it is only a temporary blip or the Scarlets were just really bad in the scrums - scrum dominance is just about the only thing we can hope for in 2 weekends time!

Or for the Tombola to name Duncan Weir at 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Dec 2015, 2:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Or for the Tombola to name Duncan Weir at 10.

Or for Toonie to replace Big T for Lee Jones given his impressive 7s form.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 3:56 pm

Or Mike "Flubber" Cusack to start in a front row featuring Pat "Rick Moranis Shrunk Me" MacArthur and Ryan "I blame everything on the Lions" Grant.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Dec 2015, 4:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Or Mike "Flubber" Cusack to start in a front row featuring Pat "Rick Moranis Shrunk Me" MacArthur and Ryan "I blame everything on the Lions" Grant.
Erm bad day at work?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 4:41 pm

Apparently Fraser Brown and Peter Murchie came through club games at the weekend unscathed so should be available for Saturday.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 14 Dec 2015, 4:46 pm

jimbopip wrote:Apparently Fraser Brown and Peter Murchie came through club games at the weekend unscathed so should be available for Saturday.

Yahoo

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

jimbopip wrote:Apparently Fraser Brown and Peter Murchie came through club games at the weekend unscathed so should be available for Saturday.
That news just rode into town on a big old chariot of awesome.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:27 pm

That's great news on Fraser Brown. International quality hooker right there.

Murchie is average but Hogg could use a rest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Mon 14 Dec 2015, 7:56 pm

It really will be intresting to see if Pivac rests players for a home game or uses it as a warm up for the home derby match 7 days later, is any home game really a dead rubber?

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Dec 2015, 7:57 pm

Murchie to use the two match Slaughter Of The Effiminates to get back up to speed then while Hoggie has a rest. Very Happy

Also, look to His Richieness and angel getting a run out then too.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:40 am

jimbopip wrote:Murchie to use the two match Slaughter Of The Effiminates to get back up to speed then while Hoggie has a rest. Very Happy

You really want to keep calling it that after last year??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:42 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30649712

Very Happy

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Murchie to use the two match Slaughter Of The Effiminates to get back up to speed then while Hoggie has a rest. Very Happy

Festering one, if memory serves me rightly the first leg at Scotstoun was so one sided that Tom the Guitar and myself had to share our hip flasks with the Luvvie fans around us to stem their tears. Yes you won the second leg but one successful penalty or drop goal would have won it for us. We made do with the consolation of winning the league. Has anyone mentioned that yet?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:50 am

jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Festering one, if memory serves me rightly the first leg at Scotstoun was so one sided that Tom the Guitar and myself had to share our hip flasks with the Luvvie fans around us to stem their tears. Yes you won the second leg but one successful penalty or drop goal would have won it for us. We made do with the consolation of winning the league. Has anyone mentioned that yet?

How very Welsh of you. So a moral victory then??

The league is overrated. The 1872 Cup is far more exclusive.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:03 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

How very Welsh of youHow very racist of you.. So a moral victory then??No, quite the opposite in fact: the first leg was so easy that we never turned up. Which is inexcusable for professional athletes.

The league is overrated. The 1872 Cup is far more exclusive.
Laugh Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:17 am

You can't drop the "R Bomb" on me. I live in Scotland where we are all extremely liberal and progressive. It's what separates us from the English, or so Nicola tells me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:21 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:You can't drop the "R Bomb" on me. I live in Scotland where we are all extremely liberal and progressive.
Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Crazy-11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 15 Dec 2015, 8:03 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:You can't drop the "R Bomb" on me. I live in Scotland where we are all extremely liberal and progressive.
Champions Cup Pool 3: Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, 19 December Crazy-11
I own a hat not massively different from that. I'd wear it to the 1872, but I'd probably get told off for not wearing the cashmere variety.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:58 am

According to the Welsh press;

THE Scarlets will be bolstered by some welcome reinforcements for their Champions Cup return against Glasgow Warriors in Llanelli on Saturday night.

Having been without a host of first-team regulars for last weekend's 43-6 hammering in Scotstoun, the West Walians are set to be strengthened by the availability of skipper Ken Owens, lock Jake Ball, prop Rob Evans, centre Hadleigh Parkes and former Glasgow wing DTH van der Merwe for the home tie.

However, back-rowers John Barclay and Aaron Shingler are again unlikely to feature.

"We have three forwards coming back who have played international rugby, so obviously that will help. They have had a week off to get their niggles right and hopefully what we lacked last weekend in terms of energy and enthusiasm will come back," said Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac.

"In the backs, DTH and Hadleigh have both been performing well for us, they will be welcomed back."

However Wales Under-20s flanker Tom Phillips is set to be out of action for three to four weeks having been concussed midway through the first half at Scotstoun.

"Tom has seen a neurosurgeon, he is a young man who had a head knock or two last season," said Pivac. "He will have a two-week break from rugby and then go through the normal return-to-play protocols, so in effect he will be out for three to four weeks."

Former Cross Keys back-rower Jack Condy (pictured) is set to be handed his first competitive start after impressing off the bench against the Warriors.

"We will be playing two No. 8s this week," confirmed Pivac.

"Aaron Shingler would be another option to play at seven, but he is not quite right for this week."

Looks like they want to avoid another embarrassment. From a Glasgow point of view Murchie and Brown played at the weekend and Junior scored two tries apparently.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm

Some pretty decent players returning for the Scarlets. Absolute must win game for Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 8:59 am

Noticed this on the BBC site;

When asked about his future, Lamont said: "I've asked for another year.

"I've got to earn and deserve another year, so I'll do whatever I need to do; if not then it will be boots up, but I'm sure there can be another year."

Lamont is second only to Chris Paterson in the list of most-capped Scotland players, having represented his country in 101 Tests.

Despite a professional career spanning 15 years, he feels he still has more to give.

"I've put in some good speed times and I'm fastest in the squad at the moment, believe it or not," Lamont commented.

So, Schlong's the fastest in the squad.....at what/ Taking his kit off for an "arty" photograph?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

Sorry Jimbo, I've just posted the exact same thing on the other thread.....you win though Smile

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:48 am

How's the nappies and sleep deprivation?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:50 am

Let's waste some time by thinking about rugby;
How's this for a possible line up?

1 - Reid
2 - Malcolm
3 - Puafisi
4 - Gray
5 - Nakarawa
6 - Harley
7 - Favaro
8 - Strauss
9 - Hart
10 - Russell
11 - Naiyarovoro
12 - Dunbar
13 - Bennett
14 - Seymour
15 - Hogg

16 - Brown
17 - Allan
18 - Fagerson
19 - Peterson
20 - Ashe
21 - Blair
22 - Horne
23 - Murchie

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:01 am

Big T plays on the right wing thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:05 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Big T plays on the right wing thumbsup

Big T plays wherever he wants. Unless you fancy telling him otherwise.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:12 am

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:54 pm

jimbopip wrote:How's the nappies and sleep deprivation?

Well...considering the youngest was/can be a total feicing nightmare, it seems that someone has decided to give us a break and sent an angel.

Since he was 2 days old, he has woken once a night since. Doesn't cry and his plops stay firmly in the nappy.

It's good thanks!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm

I don't know much about babies, but is the youngest not technically your new born Mr Scones? Smile

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:57 pm

thumbsup

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:41 am

I see Peter Murchie is in the Hawks team play Selkirk this weekend. So it looks liike it will be no rest for Hoggy this weekend. I think he may well be given xmas off to spend at home with the new baby.

I think the team will be quite similar to last week, except that we will see Bennett come back in and maybe Lamont will start ahead of Seymour. He has been played a lot recently as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:04 am

Ah Gee, see what you did there? You applied logic to the Tombola. warning

During the 2014/15 season no coach in the Pro 12 used more of their substitutes than Warriors head honcho, Gregor Townsend. Out of 240 possible changes Toonie made 229, with just 11 players gathering splinters for the full 80 – 2 forwards and 9 backs.

The player most in need of the tweezers? Well it’s a tie between 2 players – wee Ali Price (who surprisingly went unused in the romp away to Treviso and (luckily for him) didn’t make a contribution to the debacle against Embra at Murrayfield) and Peter Murchie (who kept his lovely fluorescent bib on for the full 80 away to both Bath and the Ospreys). The only game where more than 1 sub failed to make it onto the pitch was the home fixture against the Ospreys when both Connor Braid and Glenn Bryce were held back.

Flexibility in the team meant that Toony was able to name a bench with no scrum half on it on 5 occasions and one with no fly half on it for 10 match days. In fact for the away games against Munster and Ospreys there were no players on the bench who’d ever played 9 or 10 for Glasgow (coincidentally the Warriors lost both those games, but the composition of the bench may have been the least of their worries). This season it’s highly unlikely that we will see a 23 without a scrum half on the bench due to Niko’s departure, which will restrict Gregor’s options somewhat.

Second row was the most problematic forward position to cover. James Eddie was included at number 19 for 6 matches. For 2 games locks were replaced by Edinbuggers on temporary secondment. And for 4 fixtures there were was nobody listed on the bench who could play in the boiler room, this contributed to the rarely sighted Harley – Eddie combo playing almost the entire second half at home against Zebre.

The coach only selected an extra forward once in 30 games, away to the Dragons. If it was a tactical selection it was rather undone by the fact that the extra player on the bench was a specialist 7 but Glasgow ended up playing almost the entire second half without an openside after Tyrone Holmes’ red card. There was also one game where there were only 4 forwards listed – at home to Toulouse, which given the bruising, physical nature of the encounter maybe didn’t work out for the best. Other than this there was a standard 5/3 split among the subs.

Longest appearance
75 minutes for Leone off the bench at the Liberty Stadium. Special mention to Mike Cusack whose 71 minutes when replacing Zander Fagerson against Leinster at the RDS was a considerably longer appearance than any of his starts last season – he must have been extremely grateful when Nigel blew for full time! There were actually only 12 occasions when a player had to be substituted in the first half of a game though often these seemed to happen at the most unfortunate times – 1 against Bath when the squad was already short, and 2 in the playoff semi against Ulster. Tight heads were the only group who didn’t see a player forced off early – either they’re very tough or they just weren’t working hard enough!

Minute men
Lee Jones, Roussouw de Klerk, Murray McConnell, Zander Fagerson and Sean Maitland all made appearances off the bench lasting just 60 seconds.

Hooked at half time
Every position in the team saw a player getting the shepherd’s crook at the interval at least once but LH props and TH props only managed 40 minutes on 5 occasions each. 4 of those games saw both props changed at the same time as Toony looked to share the workload.

Average appearances by position (excluding first half replacements)
•Hooker – 24.3 mins
•Loosehead – 23.1
•Tighthead – 22.0
•Lock – 22.9
•Back row – 18.9
•Scrum half – 15.9
•Fly half – 18.3
•Centre – 17.4
•Wing – 17.5
•Full back – 8.9

The tight 5 needed replaced earliest – unsurprising given they are the ones doing all the hard graft. Back rows (who are really just glorified centres anyway) were more consistent with their backline colleagues when it came to needing a wee rest…

Average appearances by player (excluding first half replacements):
•Hookers – MacArthur 29 mins, Hall 26, Brown 24, Bryce 19
•LH – Reid 27, Allan 23, Yanuyanutawa 18
•TH – Welsh 31, Murray 30, Cusack 20, RDK 17, Fagerson 14, Rae 12
•Lock – Gray 31, Eddie 23, Nakarawa 20, Swinson 18, Kellock 14
•SH – Pyrgos 23, Matawalu 21, Price 8, McConnell 3
•Backs – van der Merwe 27, Lamont 22

Looking at some of the players who made regular bench appearances throughout the season gives some interesting indications as to possible pecking orders within their positions and how highly regarded they were by the coach.

Why is this significant?
Use of substitutes is really an extension of Toony Tombola selection policies. Unlike say, Alan Solomons, Gregor has used the replacements at his disposal to allow a number of young players to gain their first exposure to pro level rugby. He’s also successfully used his bench to change games with Glasgow winning 50% of matches when losing at half time – the best in the Pro 12 in 2014/15. Early indications this season are that even with a weakened squad the coach is still keen to use his replacements – after 10 matches 78 of 80 substitutions have been made – so any Glasgow team should always be considered in terms of the strength or weakness of the 23 and not just the starting 15.

I found this on the Glasgow Warriors Index Forum. Quite fascinating. https://topofthemoongw.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/toonys-ton-sub-club/

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next