The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan

+6
No 7&1/2
Cyril
Rory_Gallagher
Pete330v2
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
10 posters

Go down

Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan Empty Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:02 am

..The skill, fitness and physicality on display were overshadowed by a shocking non-reaction to a player who suffered a bad concussion. The fact that it comes two weeks after a player in Japan died, most likely from the effects of an impact to the head, makes the situation all the more disturbing.

Shortly after coming on as a replacement in Saturday's game at Prince Chichibu Memorial Rugby Ground, Panasonic flanker Shunsuke Nunomaki took a knock to the head. The 23-year-old was on the ground for some time but then tried getting up, staggering all over the place. Rather than taking him off the field for a 10-minute head injury assessment test -- as is the norm in world rugby -- the doctor did a brief check on the field and said Nunomaki could play on.

"If I had any doubt I would have taken him off there and then," [Robbie] Deans told Kyodo News after the game. "But the medics on the field said he was OK to go. It was only when I got feedback later on from the field on the radio that I realized all was not well and I pulled him off immediately."

Nunomaki ended up playing for close to 20 minutes and after the game was rushed to hospital.

"He's crook," Wild Knights flyhalf Berick Barnes said shortly after the final whistle. "The team are looking after him but we don't need that in the game."

Fortunately it seems Nunomaki has made a good initial recovery.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2015/12/388418.html

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan Empty Re: Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan

Post by LondonTiger Wed 16 Dec 2015, 8:29 am

The doctor should be banned from ever working on matchdays again. In fact the Japanese equivalent of the GMC should really investigate for gross misconduct and negligence.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan Empty Re: Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:05 am

LondonTiger wrote:The doctor should be banned from ever working on matchdays again. In fact the Japanese equivalent of the GMC should really investigate for gross misconduct and negligence.

I agree, a 'doctor' (I use that word loosely) with that kind of attitude should be nowhere near the sport let alone a patient in any walk of life.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:55 am

It's interesting how thinking has changed so much. It's only five years ago that a clearly concussed Chris Ashton was given the doctor's all clear to go back on against South Africa at Twickenham.

There are two things at work in Japan. Firstly, they generally lag developments in the sport, so it's not surprising the are still doing things which were OK elsewhere until recently. We might be hearing all about concussion in the media, but I can guarantee the issue has no public profile in Japan.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, there's a long history of players and athletes demonstrating their gutsy spirit by fighting through pain. Baseball pitchers get their throwing arms ruined at an early age, and the rate of injuries - even deaths - in judo is far higher than average. Some sports coaching is close to abuse.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2010/08/26/national/108-school-judo-class-deaths-but-no-charges-only-silence/#.VnDI-orXfCQ

In that context, I nan well imagine some old-school administrators thinking the concussion protocol is wimpy.

Fortunately, that kind of thinking is changing, but it is slow-going.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:14 am

I can never see the logic of leaving a clearly injured player on the pitch. Fully fit they may be better than the replacement on the bench (hence why the player is on the pitch in the first place), but how can a concussed/injured player be a better option than bringing on an un-injured or un-concussed player?! The injured player often can barely walk, can't tackle, and hence is just spare part. What's the rationale for keeping them on?! Seems a no brainier to me to take the player off. What am I missing?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:23 pm

Griff wrote:I can never see the logic of leaving a clearly injured player on the pitch. Fully fit they may be better than the replacement on the bench (hence why the player is on the pitch in the first place), but how can a concussed/injured player be a better option than bringing on an un-injured or un-concussed player?! The injured player often can barely walk, can't tackle, and hence is just spare part. What's the rationale for keeping them on?! Seems a no brainier to me to take the player off. What am I missing?!

I would imagine that the biggest factor would be that many professional rugby players are extremely stubborn. Many will argue to the death that they are fine and even refuse to leave the pitch if they are desperate to stay. I have a feeling that some doctors cave in because of the pressure. This is why it is going to require strict rules and severe punishments for those who decide to break protocol. They have got to get this right.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/14/france-marc-dal-maso-parkinsons-disease

The coaching and medical staff must be willing to remove any player who is at risk, regardless of the outcome of the game or the desires of the player. If that requires physically hauling the player off the field then so be it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Griff wrote:I can never see the logic of leaving a clearly injured player on the pitch. Fully fit they may be better than the replacement on the bench (hence why the player is on the pitch in the first place), but how can a concussed/injured player be a better option than bringing on an un-injured or un-concussed player?! The injured player often can barely walk, can't tackle, and hence is just spare part. What's the rationale for keeping them on?! Seems a no brainier to me to take the player off. What am I missing?!

I would imagine that the biggest factor would be that many professional rugby players are extremely stubborn. Many will argue to the death that they are fine and even refuse to leave the pitch if they are desperate to stay. I have a feeling that some doctors cave in because of the pressure. This is why it is going to require strict rules and severe punishments for those who decide to break protocol. They have got to get this right.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/14/france-marc-dal-maso-parkinsons-disease

The coaching and medical staff must be willing to remove any player who is at risk, regardless of the outcome of the game or the desires of the player. If that requires physically hauling the player off the field then so be it.

I guess what I mean is more to do with the coaches. There have been allegations (e.g. Wales and George North) that coaches have let players carry on, or are reluctant to replace players who are clearly injured. In the case of North the allegation was that the coaches and medical staff ignored that he's d been knocked out to keep him on. They hadn't spoken to the player as he had not been treated at that point so wasn't really to do with the stubbornness of the player, although I get your point and I expect it has happened that way at times too. But for me, North was useless after the head knock so I can't see the rationale for keeping him on.

It's the same for other non-head knocks - I see players holding their calves, clearly unable to run much, and I just think 'get him off' as he's a liability that can't defend! But you see players hobbling round for ages before anything is done!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:58 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The coaching and medical staff must be willing to remove any player who is at risk, regardless of the outcome of the game or the desires of the player. If that requires physically hauling the player off the field then so be it.
Agreed. Medical staff (or any club or national coach who gets in the way) need to face severe sanctions if they put players at risk. Players cannot be trusted to look after their own health. You only have to look at what happened with Noves and the Fritz incident, North's double concussion for Wales and Ireland's general disregard for O'Driscoll's well-being during his international career.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:10 am

You can look at Watson against Saracens last year as well. Took a high hit from Farrell didn't look right straight away but supposedly passed an initial test, messed up against Farrell for the 1st try while looking groggy then subbed. May have all been done correctly but looked dodgy.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:11 am

It is one of those things where it's more obvious when the coaches/medics get it wrong than when they get it right.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:16 am

True, when you consider how many times players take a hit there are only a few incidences where they obviously get it wrong, I'm not a dr, should they be getting any wrong?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:37 am

The sport may be more alert to the dangers posed by percussion, but it still celebrates rather than rebukes Richie McCaw for playing in the 2011 tournament with a broken foot. In the other code, Sam Burgess won plaudits for playing on with a fractured eye socket and broken cheekbone.

Sometimes injured players do put in inspirational performances, but Burgess in particular could have done himself some serious damage by staying on.

Of course there has to be some flexibility, since virtually every professional sportsmen has some kind of niggle.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:34 am

Rugby Fan wrote:The sport may be more alert to the dangers posed by percussion, but it still celebrates rather than rebukes Richie McCaw for playing in the 2011 tournament with a broken foot. In the other code, Sam Burgess won plaudits for playing on with a fractured eye socket and broken cheekbone.

Sometimes injured players do put in inspirational performances, but Burgess in particular could have done himself some serious damage by staying on.

Of course there has to be some flexibility, since virtually every professional sportsmen has some kind of niggle.

It is also difficult, because some injuries (like most involving a lot of blood) can look spectacular but don't have much, if any, short or long term consequences. The Burgess / cheekbone thing (Shaun Edwards also did something very similar) might mean that there is an increased chance of a nasty eye injury or it might be just a risk of increased pain and a longer spell on the sidelines. Head injuries are much harder to assess

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

Griff wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I guess what I mean is more to do with the coaches. There have been allegations (e.g. Wales and George North) that coaches have let players carry on, or are reluctant to replace players who are clearly injured. In the case of North the allegation was that the coaches and medical staff ignored that he's d been knocked out to keep him on. They hadn't spoken to the player as he had not been treated at that point so wasn't really to do with the stubbornness of the player, although I get your point and I expect it has happened that way at times too. But for me, North was useless after the head knock so I can't see the rationale for keeping him on.

It's the same for other non-head knocks - I see players holding their calves, clearly unable to run much, and I just think 'get him off' as he's a liability that can't defend! But you see players hobbling round for ages before anything is done!

Given the amount of data that is fed back to the coaches from GPS etc someone with a concussion would surely show a drop off in performance?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:09 pm

There's a lad who has recently joined my son's under-13 team who has the potential to be a really good flanker but has one "footballer" affectation: at least once every game he will roll around the floor in agony clutching a life threatening injury, then stage a miraculous recovery once he has received the attention he craves.

On Sunday he made the mistake of rolling around after a barnstorming run holding his head. The referee said, "Head injury, off you go and don't come back today." The game was all of two minutes old.

The look on his face was priceless and hopefully there'll be no more Oscar performances.
Also, top marks to Colchester Rugby club who don't take any chances with head knocks at all. thumbsup

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:15 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You can look at Watson against Saracens last year as well. Took a high hit from Farrell didn't look right straight away but supposedly passed an initial test, messed up against Farrell for the 1st try while looking groggy then subbed. May have all been done correctly but looked dodgy.

There is anecdotal evidence that at the start of last season some players took the base line tests when "distracted" giving a lower benchmark to reach in pitch side assessments. All AP players had to complete a concussion module in the first 3 months of the season - and a number chose to redo their tests as the seriousness started to dawn on them.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:23 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Griff wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Given the amount of data that is fed back to the coaches from GPS etc someone with a concussion would surely show a drop off in performance?

True, but I'm talking about the immediate effects. George North wandering round like a headless chicken and expected to cover wing defence. George Smith during the Lions tour (I think?) wandering round in a similar fashion not knowing which way was forward. Before any chance of meaningful data coming back, just looking at these players on TV you can see that they're a waste of a man on the pitch. Why not just haul off straight away when they look like they've received a Mike Tyson uppercut? My point really is that by the time they may come round and back to their usual selves (if they ever do from a bad head knock) they might have conceded points due to effectively being a man down. I can't see the point of risking that (or the player's health). Is a disorientated George North really better on the pitch than a full compos mentis Liam Williams?! Is a hobbling Gethin Jenkins really worth letting him hobble for 15 more mins - he can't scrummage at the best of times, let alone with a bad calf! And he's less effective at getting to the ruck with a bad calf. Get him off! The number of times I've seen the coaches let him try to run it off is ridiculous and puts extra pressure on the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:38 pm

Griff I completely agree, I made the same argument myself when Toulouse sent Fritz back on last season even though he couldn't walk off the pitch without support. There will naturally be a drowsiness, lack of awareness, fatigue, slowed reactions and cognitive function that follows that make them a liability

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:12 pm

Fritz! Yes, I was trying to remember the French example. Terrible decision. Even if they can 'run it off' I doubt after a bump to the head that they're every fully capable (cognitively) during the same game.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:21 pm

Theres also a risk of Second Impact Syndrome, although fully grown men aren't as susceptible others are and the professional games needs to set the example

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:26 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The doctor should be banned from ever working on matchdays again. In fact the Japanese equivalent of the GMC should really investigate for gross misconduct and negligence.

As far as I know Japanese sport makes the machismo involved in other nations look trivial, for diverse cultural reasons. Have in the past heard anecdotes about withholding water in training as punishment and that was just youth rugby. The Japanese are big on the idea of suffering as essential for character building, both physical and mental, linking back to elements of Budo and Bushido. I would be slightly surprised if there are any repercussions for the doctor whatsoever.

Found this article recently and think it's fascinating;

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ISS/ISS2101/ISS2101e.pdf

Most interested in noting that the usual training pattern for rugby at University is training for two hours a day, six days a week, eleven months of year in pretty much exactly the same fashion. Also brutal summer training camps played by High School students involve playing 18 games within 10 days.

This anecdote is particularly telling;

[img]Head Injury Assessment protocol not being used in Japan Screen10[/img]

That whole article is worth a read, but basically the Japanese have their way of doing things and their way of gauging what it means to become strong through sport. Guys like Robbie Deans may lay down the law after an incident like this, but at the end of the day- they aren't Japanese so I'm not sure its going to change things.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 20 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm

JRFU has confirmed it will have the recommended concussion protocol in operation next season. Meanwhile, players can be taken off to check for concussion symptoms but they cannot be replaced while absent.

As Notch and I have said, athletes are routinely beasted in Japanese sports, so it's not surprising that the JRFU would be slow to respond on an issue of player care.

Things are changing slowly, however. In short, the old way of doing things isn't getting results on the on the international stage, so more people are coming around to using modern sports science. Elderly administrators are not especially forward-looking, however.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down