The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December

+11
DaveM
Bathite
mikey_dragon
Sgt_Pooly
toml
doctor_grey
Rugby Fan
Cyril
LondonTiger
yappysnap
George Carlin
15 posters

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Empty Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:28 am

Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Bath_f10    Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Wasps_11
Bath Rugby v Wasps
Saturday 19 December 2015
KO: 15:15
Recreation Ground, Bath

Live on BT Sport

Referee Romain Poite (France)
Touch Judge 1 Cyril Lafon (France)
Touch Judge 2 Stephane Boyer (France)
Fourth Official Michael Patz (England)
TMO Eric Gonthier (France)
Assessor Martin Fox (England)
Citing Commissioner Yann Le Dore (France)

A. Recent Head to Head

13/12/15: Wasps 23 - 25 Bath Rugby

27/4/14: London Wasps 18 - 24 Bath Rugby

25/5/03: Bath Rugby 30 - 48 London Wasps

B. Official Preview
PREVIEW: Young wants smarter Wasps

As ever, the Wasps coach Dai Young was brutally honest about his side after their last-gasp Champions Cup defeat at home to Bath.

No sooner had George Ford's 86th minute touchline conversion bisected the posts to claim a 25-23 victory that ended Wasps' run of victories in Pool 5 than Young was admitting his team had to play smarter rugby.

"We're not here to entertain, we're here to win games - we have to be smarter. We have to realise that when you're not getting much penetration or much joy, you've got to play field position as well.

"We were nowhere near clinical enough and Bath were much more clinical - they came into our 22 twice in the first-half and scored twice. We weren't quite as good as everyone was saying we were after the Toulon win."

After a poor start to their Aviva Premiership campaign, Bath's victory at The Ricoh Arena could well be the confidence boost they needed to kick on. Their home win over Leinster was tight enough, but a 19-16 triumph set them on their way after the false start in round one when their trip to Toulon was postponed.

With their three current England back line stars, Ford, Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson, all contributing to the victory over Wasps, head coach Mike Ford can rightly look forward to the return fixture. And if his son, George, can keep his cool again then anything might be possible.

"You relish those situations really as a goakicker," said Ford about his winning conversion last weekend. "You are in your own little bubble and not really thinking too much about the outcome.

"I was just thinking about the process. You know it's a kick to win the game - you understand that - but you just think of the little things you have practiced a thousand times in training and focus on getting a good strike."

His strike on Sunday couldn't have been any better and kept his side very much in the hunt in the 'Pool of Death'. If he can put the boot into Wasps again in round four then Bath will be on top of the table.

Match Facts
- Bath Rugby have now won six of their last seven Champions Cup fixtures and have won each of their last three at home.
- This will be the first time in the Champions Cup that Bath Rugby will host a fellow English side; they have however won five out of five Challenge Cup matches when hosting English teams.
- Wasps have won three of their last four matches away from home in the Champions Cup, by a margin of 15+ points on each occasion.
- Matt Mullan has made more tackles (36) without missing one than any other player in this season's Champions Cup.
C. Teams

Bath Rugby
Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Bill_b10
Watson; Rokoduguni, Joseph, Eastmond, Banahan; Ford, Matawalu; Auterac, Batty, Wilson; Garvey, Attwood; Houston, Louw (c), Denton.

Replacements: Webber, Lahiff, Thomas, Ewels, Mercer, Cook, Priestland, Homer.

Wasps
Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Nigel-10
Miller; Halai, Daly, Jacobs, Piutau; Gopperth, Simpson; Mullan, Johnson, Cittadini; Launchbury, Davies; Haskell, Smith, Hughes.

Replacements: Shervington, McIntyre, Swainston, Gaskell, Jones, Robson, Jackson, Leiua

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December

Post by yappysnap Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm

Big question is can Bath get away with killing the ball on their own try line 5 or 6 times this week, if they can and only concede pens then they have the pack to win it.

If the ref gives yellows for these though, then Wasps could get the away win they need.

I hope they do as I really want Toulon to crash out at the pool stages.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 5: Bath v Wasps, 19 December

Post by LondonTiger Sat 19 Dec 2015, 11:52 am

Line-ups

Bath: Watson; Rokoduguni, Joseph, Eastmond, Banahan; Ford, Matawalu; Auterac, Batty, Wilson; Garvey, Attwood; Houston, Louw (c), Denton.

Replacements: Webber, Lahiff, Thomas, Ewels, Mercer, Cook, Priestland, Homer.

Wasps: Miller; Halai, Daly, Jacobs, Piutau; Gopperth, Simpson; Mullan, Johnson, Cittadini; Launchbury, Davies; Haskell, Smith, Hughes.

Replacements: Shervington, McIntyre, Swainston, Gaskell, Jones, Robson, Jackson, Leiua

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 19 Dec 2015, 11:53 am

what is it that DoRs like Young, MOC and Deano see that the rest of us do not. Surely Gopperth is only the 3rd best 10 at Wasps?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 19 Dec 2015, 12:08 pm

Bizarre isn't it, although Deano has form for selecting terrible 10s (and very good ones), remember Chris Malone?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:33 pm

Good game so far.

Try for Roko in the corner followed by a breakaway by Daly.

Two of the best sides in Europe to watch when they're up for it.

Bath 7 Wasps 10

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:34 pm

Dave Denton has had an eventful start to his Bath career. Seems he gave the intercepted pass which led to Daly's try.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:38 pm

Is this Bath's normal kit?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:43 pm

It's the 'European'/3rd shirt I think.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:58 pm

I think bath need other kit. Their pack scrummage poorly. Being driven backwards in high gear. .

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 19 Dec 2015, 3:59 pm

Someone needs to give Matawalu a clip. What a whinger

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:08 pm

I have watched Wasps a few times in the last few weeks and they look really good. The play energetic heads up rugby. Their 8 has been hammering through everyone, their scrum powerful, the hooker is tidy around the park and they have a few really exciting backs particularly Piatau.
Its the most I have enjoyed watching an English team in a long time.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:13 pm

Wasps do look like an exciting team. George Smith is a terrific player, a great addition to the Premiership. Still on his game, even now despite being about 60 years old.

On the other hand Bath don't seem at the same level; their pack is not very good.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:20 pm

doctor_grey wrote:...
On the other hand Bath don't seem at the same level; their pack is not very good.  

Don't say that... they'll just go and buy a new one

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:24 pm

Attwood aside, the Bath pack look 2nd best. Wilson is really out of form and having a real hard time against Mullen.

What a player Hughes is.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

toml wrote:I have watched Wasps a few times in the last few weeks and they look really good. The play energetic heads up rugby. Their 8 has been hammering through everyone, their scrum powerful, the hooker is tidy around the park and they have a few really exciting backs particularly Piatau.
Much as I rate Vunipola and Morgan I can't wait until Hughes is England-qualified Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:41 pm

toml wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:...

Don't say that... they'll just go and buy a new one
it's a good thing they are far below the cap so they can afford to buy a new pack.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:55 pm

I've enjoyed the match but it has lost its way a bit. Bath came back, which stopped Wasps' momentum but they couldn't do anything with it and so it is turning back to a comfortable Wasps win but without too many fireworks.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:04 pm

Too bad for Bath - I guess it's only Toulon who can buy success!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:10 pm

well after 9 minutes of really promising rugby, the rest was awful!

Another great showing from Daly. Just such a shame that JJ and Brown have been one of the best players in an England kit for the last few years. You just really want to get all three in the team. Guess at this stage, Daly might steal JJ's shirt

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:11 pm

LondonTiger wrote:what is it that DoRs like Young, MOC and Deano see that the rest of us do not. Surely Gopperth is only the 3rd best 10 at Wasps?

Looked a world beater today!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:13 pm

Deano didn't bring Gopperth to Falcons.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 19 Dec 2015, 7:07 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Deano didn't bring Gopperth to Falcons.
kept playing him in the championship when they really should have been developing someone else.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Dec 2015, 7:41 pm

Bizarre showing from Bath at home. Really second best almost at every position. Bath seemed virtually unprepared for this match.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Dec 2015, 7:41 pm

I think Owen Farrell was watching this match with utter glee.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 19 Dec 2015, 11:33 pm

Bath seem to be heading towards a crisis. If their form doesn't improve soon then I'd guess Ford will come under pressure.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 20 Dec 2015, 1:32 am

There's a lot of deserved praise for Wasps lately, but are they also that consistent? They lost at home to Exeter, and then to Bath just last week. It seems strange that a team who previously battered both Leinster and Toulon could do that. Also, is there any chance of you releasing Bradley Davies? The welsh teams are running low on quality lock forwards...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:30 am

doctor_grey wrote:I think Owen Farrell was watching this match with utter glee.  
......and that whilst masterminding Sarries slaughter of Oyonnax.

Ford does look seriously out of form though and with Slade somewhat indisposed, who is next in line after OF, Cips? his kicking has been truly awful this season so far. After him Myler?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

I'm not sure Ford is that far out of form. The Bath back line is build around front foot ball and he's not getting any. If you're getting crap ball off the nine with no easy crash ball to get you over the gain line and no alternative tactical kicker, you're an easy target at ten and there's a lot of pressure on your shoulders.

For England Cips has looked good in an average team, Myler is in and out of the Saints team and Burns is about to make his first start of the season following illness and injury. Farrell might not need Daddy's help getting a start.

Mikey, Davies is the anchor of the Wasps scrum at the minute. Can't see them sending him back to Wales.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

If Farrell was at Bath and Ford at Sarries, then ickle George would be the man in form and Farrell would be acting the petulant brat we have seen at times in the past.

However Ford will be starting to get shell shocked as the Bath pack have been even more powderpuff than the Glaws one of recent years.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Mikey, Davies is the anchor of the Wasps scrum at the minute. Can't see them sending him back to Wales.

Right... I'm glad it's going well for him anyway, he was in good form for Wales at the world cup too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 20 Dec 2015, 11:33 am

toml wrote:I have watched Wasps a few times in the last few weeks and they look really good. The play energetic heads up rugby. Their 8 has been hammering through everyone, their scrum powerful, the hooker is tidy around the park and they have a few really exciting backs particularly Piatau.

Me too, they're basically my second team these days.

I don't think there's any reason the Bath pack should be poorer than Wasps, certainly not on paper. I was hoping to see them improve year on year but they've gone backwards it seems. I guess for players like Auterac they're going to have bad games at that age. But it'd be good to see this arrested pretty soon. It does feel like they've gone for a traditional big, heavy English pack, but without gaining the set piece advantage you'd expect.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 20 Dec 2015, 11:37 am

mikey_dragon wrote:There's a lot of deserved praise for Wasps lately, but are they also that consistent? They lost at home to Exeter, and then to Bath just last week. It seems strange that a team who previously battered both Leinster and Toulon could do that. Also, is there any chance of you releasing Bradley Davies? The welsh teams are running low on quality lock forwards...

I think it's a continuing problem, but I wonder if that's more about the lack of depth of the squad. Not sure what game it was but they rested Hughes and Haskell and their pack didn't look half as dangerous. Perhaps the inconsistency comes from this? I think people like Thompson are quite a step down.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Dec 2015, 12:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'm not sure Ford is that far out of form. The Bath back line is build around front foot ball and he's not getting any. If you're getting crap ball off the nine with no easy crash ball to get you over the gain line and no alternative tactical kicker, you're an easy target at ten and there's a lot of pressure on your shoulders.

For England Cips has looked good in an average team, Myler is in and out of the Saints team and Burns is about to make his first start of the season following illness and injury. Farrell might not need Daddy's help getting a start.

I do think Ford is not going well at all. It is not quite so difficult to look good when your team is going forwards. I think Ford, as a mate describes, is having a growth experience. When Wasps had the ball they used Ford as a door mat to clean the bottom of their boots.

Cipriani is not having the same season as last year. Myler is being rotated by design. By the end of last season he was lucky to still be upright. He played far too much Rugby the last few seasons.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 20 Dec 2015, 12:59 pm

Myler will get nowhere near an England shirt.

Ford is a funny one, he really struggles if he's not got a dominant pack, he's going to have to learn how just adjust on the back foot. This poor period Bath are going through could actually help him in the long run.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 20 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm

Ford is struggling massively because of two things; A. His pack are going backwards constantly, can't win him clean ball and can't dominate the opposition. B. His scrum half is a terrible scrum half, his passing and control at the breakdown are Poopie, worse then Youngs, he's just so slow and when he throws it's painful.

If I was Ford id be seriously peed with every player with a number in their shirt lower then mine!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 20 Dec 2015, 9:36 pm

I'd start Farrell for England btw (I feel dirty saying it).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 22 Dec 2015, 7:54 am

Hood83 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:There's a lot of deserved praise for Wasps lately, but are they also that consistent? They lost at home to Exeter, and then to Bath just last week. It seems strange that a team who previously battered both Leinster and Toulon could do that. Also, is there any chance of you releasing Bradley Davies? The welsh teams are running low on quality lock forwards...

I think it's a continuing problem, but I wonder if that's more about the lack of depth of the squad. Not sure what game it was but they rested Hughes and Haskell and their pack didn't look half as dangerous. Perhaps the inconsistency comes from this? I think people like Thompson are quite a step down.

Yes it was against Exeter - Wasps rested Hask, Hughes & Launchbury paid the price & conceded 4 tries from driven lineouts!
We have also lost Wade recently to injury although it looks hopeful he could be back Jan/Feb next year.

Take those 4 out of any team & you would struggle to replace them with similar quality.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down