The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lee V Saunders

+6
jimdig
BoxingFan88
milkyboy
Pedro147
AdamT
horizontalhero
10 posters

Go down

Lee V Saunders Empty Lee V Saunders

Post by horizontalhero Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:40 pm

Not sensing a huge amount of anticipation for this one, despite the fact that it's a good match up, and the traveller background giving an angle for the promoters.
I'm hoping that Lee can do a number on BJS who seems to have crossed the fine line between confidence and arrognace- a scraped win over a green Eubank Jr is not the achievement that he seems to think it is, and I'd like to the more personable Lee, who has 'paid his dues' as they say knock a bit of humility into him.
Thoughts / predictions?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Lee V Saunders Empty Re: Lee V Saunders

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:43 pm

I am definitely on the fence here. Maybe lean towards Andy Lee. I think he has the more experience, but it's a good matchup.

Gun to head, I pick Lee points.

Dam it's a hard one to pick. I guess I like Lee more, so will side with him. Good fight!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:44 pm

Lee to stop Saunders late on. Saunders seems to struggle down the straight and I think that only for Eubank not having much power he was there for the taking in their fight.

Saunders has also ballooned in weight between fights so I think this is part of his engine problems. Lee is always dangerous and I fancy him to catch Saunders with a big right between 9-12 and stop him.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:22 pm

pretty even with the bookies and you can see why, i think saunders is the marginally better boxer, but Lee has the equaliser. I'd expect Saunders to have the edge at half way and then it depends on whether he fades down the stretch. Saunders points or Lee stoppage are the obvious calls I guess, although I've seen nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with saunders chin, I'm leaning to the latter.

It's two southpaws of course, which might have a big impact... not sure what their respective records are against lefties generally, though saunders struggled with ryder and lee stopped korobov.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

milkyboy wrote:pretty even with the bookies and you can see why, i think saunders is the marginally better boxer, but Lee has the equaliser. I'd expect Saunders to have the edge at half way and then it depends on whether he fades down the stretch. Saunders points or Lee stoppage are the obvious calls I guess, although I've seen nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with saunders chin, I'm leaning to the latter.

It's two southpaws of course, which might have a big impact... not sure what their respective records are against lefties generally, though saunders struggled with ryder and lee stopped korobov.

Lee said in an interview last night on Irish radio he likes fighting southpaws. He made an interesting point actually that when he was in the US there was never a problem getting sparring partners for different styles due to the amount of fighters. But since he's returned to UK/Ireland that it's harder to find sparring partners. Interview here for anyone who's interested.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/117455/Andy_Lee_on_cutting_weight_and_defending_his_title

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:50 pm

Got Lee big in this one, think he might shock a few people, his level of competition has been miles higher, plus he has Adam Booth in his corner

Lee by KO

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:50 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Got Lee big in this one, think he might shock a few people, his level of competition has been miles higher, plus he has Adam Booth in his corner

Lee by KO

I hope you're right.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:53 pm

AdamT wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Got Lee big in this one, think he might shock a few people, his level of competition has been miles higher, plus he has Adam Booth in his corner

Lee by KO

I hope you're right.

Oh I wouldn't bet on it, I've been wrong far too many times this year....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:07 pm

Pedro147 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:pretty even with the bookies and you can see why, i think saunders is the marginally better boxer, but Lee has the equaliser. I'd expect Saunders to have the edge at half way and then it depends on whether he fades down the stretch. Saunders points or Lee stoppage are the obvious calls I guess, although I've seen nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with saunders chin, I'm leaning to the latter.

Lee said in an interview last night on Irish radio he likes fighting southpaws. He made an interesting point actually that when he was in the US there was never a problem getting sparring partners for different styles due to the amount of fighters. But since he's returned to UK/Ireland that it's harder to find sparring partners. Interview here for anyone who's interested.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/117455/Andy_Lee_on_cutting_weight_and_defending_his_title

Lee comes across well, I've always quite liked him... on balance I'd like to see him win. Also, that vulnerability and punching power is always going to give his fights a level of excitement.

On the flip side I picked saunders as the most likely 2008 olympian to do well in the pro's... degale's probably holding that honour and i've been a little disappointed generally in Saunders... so I can seek some solace in a saunders victory - in that I do occasionally call something with at least a degree of accuracy!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:11 pm

Lee KO. I like lee, he's seems a real down to earth, humble nice guy. He never goes in for trash talk. What's not to like about a fighter that throws punches from his boots for late stoppages.

Neither are world beaters and I cringe slightly at the thought of GGG vs Lee.
Agreed Saunders the edge in skill, Lee in power (and probably heart).
KO win Andy Lee.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:36 pm

Ko for Lee for me too. Saunders will likely build a lead and be winning psst the 7th but he always tires quite badly down the stretch. Lee to catch up with him around 9 or 10 and knock him out.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 17 Dec 2015, 8:48 pm

Lee KO around the 8th whilst well down on the cards I think, fairly standard fight for him in that sense.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:28 am

Great fight! Reminds me of Froch vs Groves 1 where people expected Groves to be up on points going into the later rounds with Froch needing a knockout.

I expect Saunders to be up on points after 6 rounds. Lee has that left hand finisher, but Saunders seems to have a decent chin. I've put £100 on Saunders points at 6/4.

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:40 am

lambertm100 wrote:Great fight! Reminds me of Froch vs Groves 1 where people expected Groves to be up on points going into the later rounds with Froch needing a knockout.

I expect Saunders to be up on points after 6 rounds. Lee has that left hand finisher, but Saunders seems to have a decent chin. I've put £100 on Saunders points at 6/4.

Not a bad bet if Saunders is on his feet, but Andy Lee has the power to turn the lights out

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:11 am

If its a decision, you'd think Saunders ends with his hand raised... but the way Eubanks unloaded on him in their fight makes me think that unless his defence has improved vastly, he's gonna get body snatched by a right hook at some poin.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

lambert has a fair point... there's a lot of picks for a guy to get knocked out... whose never looked badly hurt before, that I recall. But then he hasn't faced someone who hits like Lee.

On the flipside Lee has never lost on points and was ahead on the cards in both his stoppage defeats, so maybe his boxing ability is a little under-rated.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:28 am

milkyboy wrote:lambert has a fair point... there's a lot of picks for a guy to get knocked out... whose never looked badly hurt before, that I recall. But then he hasn't faced someone who hits like Lee.

On the flipside Lee has never lost on points and was ahead on the cards in both his stoppage defeats, so maybe his boxing ability is a little under-rated.

Good points, but Korobov had never really been in trouble before Lee. Quillin as well. Even John Jackson. Lee's power is the truth.

Toomk your point on his boxing skills as well... but Chavez isn't exactly ring generalship grandmaster, neither is Vera. Every other big fighter he's fought has won more round than him I believe, except Quillin but maybe Quillin just wasn't that good to begin with...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:34 am

fair points raf... although I think Lee spends so much time on his harris its hard for him to be ahead on points!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down