The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Euro 2016 Squad

+11
owen10ozzy
GSC
spencerclarke
westisbest
Good Golly I'm Olly
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
Marky
Crimey
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England Euro 2016 Squad Empty England Euro 2016 Squad

Post by Crimey Fri 22 Jan 2016, 1:26 pm

With Ashley Young's injury, made me start thinking about what England's squad will be looking like this summer. Although Young was unlikely to make the squad, I'm sure there was a part of him that had dreams of a call up. So what will the 23-Man squad look like?

Certainties

Wayne Rooney - as captain and consistent starter for England there is no way he won't be in the squad (injury withstanding of course). His form hasn't been fantastic this year but there are signs that is beginning to improve that Hodgson will be very happy with.

Joe Hart - England's pretty much undisputed number one, Jack Butland has had a fantastic year but Hart has been fairly solid in front of an inconsistent defence and is unlikely to be usurped before this tournament.

Raheem Sterling - Consistently in the squads since the World Cup. He's done well at Manchester City and Roy Hodgson will hope he can be a real driving force at the tournament this summer.

Jack Butland - A certainty in the squad, but unlikely to start. He's had a brilliant year and whilst this tournament has probably come a little too soon for him, he'll want to start pushing for the number one jersey in the future.

Jordan Henderson - A Hodgson favourite, his work-rate and increasing leadership qualities make him an important member of the squad. Hasn't shown the same form internationally as he has done at a club level, but won't be left out.

James Milner - Another with great work rate and also versatility. His Liverpool career hasn't brought him the extended run to prove himself as a quality central midfielder but he's been an important cog in that squad and his experience and utility will be welcomed in the squad.

Gary Cahill - Chelsea have been awful this year and Cahill has to take some responsibility but it's unlikely Hodgson will give up on his vice-captain.

Nathaniel Clyne - Been Liverpool's most consistent player and will likely have the right back slot for England tied down for a good few years. Good going forward and defending, he's a big improvement on Glen Johnson.

Harry Kane - It seems very unlikely Kane won't be in the squad after showing this year he is capable of keeping up a good scoring rate in the Premier League. Whether he will start much, or Rooney will get the number nine role remains to be seen.

John Stones - Hasn't had an amazing year but will likely be who the defence is built round in the future, can also play right back which will make him useful.

Chris Smalling - Had a good year defensively for Manchester United and has started to show form as a central defender. Selection headache at central defence as to who Hodgson decides to select.

Probably will make it

Ross Barkley - Hodgson is definitely a fan and he's had a better year this year than last. It's hard to see where he can be used best and whether he'll be anything more than a super-sub at this stage.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Has been out of form but can play in multiple positions and is still young.

Theo Walcott - Has had a decent year so far and has shown that he does have some ability in a central role. Will likely play wide in this England side but is very useful for his pace.

Adam Lallana - Been consistently selected and has been okay for Liverpool. He is good at defending from the front and has actually been more creative for England than he has been for Liverpool.

Fabien Delph - Only just starting to make an impact at Manchester City but somebody who has started to impose themselves for England under Hodgson. Playing at a higher level will have helped cement his chances of getting into the squad.

Phil Jagielka - Will likely continue to be selected but definitely his last tournament. Has been injured for much of the season but is an inexperienced defender and has a relationship playing with John Stones and Gary Cahill which does make him useful.

Jamie Vardy - The first half of the season form means it will be hard for Hodgson not to select him, but a dramatic fall from now until May could make him change his mind. Really needs an opportunity through the middle for England rather than an alternative to Danny Welbeck as Hodgson has used him.

Leighton Baines - With Luke Shaw injured and Kieran Gibbs not playing the left back is his for the taking.

Ryan Bertrand - As above, the second left back in the squad will be his most likely. Not had as good a year as last year so may struggle to remove Baines from left back.

Injury-depending

Jack Wilshere - If fit, will almost definitely be in the squad, but he's got to prove fitness first. Not really pushed on since he broke onto the scene and has lost over two years to injury in his career.

Danny Welbeck - Struggled with injury, may struggle to get back into the Arsenal side. A Hodgson favourite so if he is ready to go, will likely go but that is a big if.

Daniel Sturridge - If he can get fit and firing Sturridge is the best forward option England have, but that is such a huge question I imagine Hodgson hasn't even really been considering it. If he is fully fit in May though Hodgson would be crazy to leave him at home.

Fraser Forster - Not a lot of competition for that third goalkeeping spot, so it is likely going to be Forster's but he has to show form following his injury problems.

Ben Foster - Will likely be a straight fight between him and Forster for the third spot and both are coming back after injury.

Phil Jones - Missed much of the season with injury and still nobody knows where his best position is. He'll still likely make the squad if he is fit.

Possibilities

Eric Dier - Made his England debut and has been a revelation in the defensive midfield position. Will he get in over established England stars? Maybe.

Dele Alli - Like Dier has really come on this year and if he keeps it up may get a spot in the squad.

Danny Rose - Has been playing well this year, but Baines is more established and Bertrand more recently in the England squad.

Kyle Walker - Whether Hodgson takes another pure right back or relies on Stones, Smalling and Jones' versatility will determine whether Walker makes the squad with Clyne's position secure.

Michael Carrick - Been injured recently and hasn't really shown to be a favourite of any England manager. Whether he will accept a spot in the squad for this tournament remains to be seen.

Ryan Mason - Hasn't pushed on with Dembele, Alli and Dier all playing fantastically ahead of him so will struggle to make the squad. Should he push his way back into selection at Tottenham ahead of one of them though may steal their places.

Jonjo Shelvey - Played really well at the beginning of the season then his form dropped off a cliff. Strong form at Newcastle will give him a good shout at getting back into the squad though.

Jesse Lingard - Made his first appearance in an England squad recently, but didn't play. Form since has been decent but probably not enough to get selected.

Andros Townsend - Without a move in January, it's unlikely that even Hodgson could justify giving him a place in the squad.

Kieran Gibbs - Not playing at Arsenal has all but ruined his chances of making the squad. Should he get back into the Arsenal squad he could push for a left back spot.

Tom Cleverley - Hasn't set the world alight at Everton but has played for England recently. Some good form at the tail end of the season could see him get back in.

Outsiders

Robert Green - Unlikely, but was only called up last in June so certainly possible.

Tom Heaton - Made the last England squad but with Forster and Foster back will struggle to get back in, especially playing in the Championship.

Charlie Austin - Playing in the Championship won't have helped his chances. If he starts banging them in for Southampton he'll be hard to ignore.

Ricky Lambert - A Hodgson favourite the move to Liverpool has hurt him and he's not had a great time at West Brom.

Andy Carroll - For a brief injury-free period this season he scored a couple of goals and it looked like he might make waves. He's injured again though and unless he comes back and scores a boat-load of goals, will miss out.

Mark Noble - Probably should have been called up by England by now, it's unlikely he'll make the squad even if his form deserves it.

Saido Berahino - Called by England before, with West Brom rarely starting him he's not going to make the squad without a January move or a significant turn around.

Jermain Defoe - Still not retired from international duty, has scored goals for Sunderland, if Sam Allardyce can get even more goals out of him Hodgson might fancy a punt on him.

Aaron Cresswell - Another of West Ham's unrecognised talents, he's been one of the best left backs in the league for nearly two years now without England credit. Will he change Hodgson's mind in time for Euro 2016? Probably not.

Marc Albrighton - Arguably an underrated aspect of Leicester City's successes this season, Hodgson may fancy his pace in the squad. Seems very unlikely though.

Conclusions

It's most likely that Hodgson will stick with what got him to Euro 2016, with perhaps some of the young midfielders from Tottenham making the squad, Jamie Vardy in there and the slim possibility of Daniel Sturridge. Doesn't look fantastic though. Is there anybody you think probably does have an outside chance of making it that I didn't mention?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

England Euro 2016 Squad Empty Re: England Euro 2016 Squad

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

Lallana & Barkley will be 'certainties'. Roy gets a hard on, every time Lallana does a cruyff turn, that goes nowhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 15 Mar 2016, 2:45 pm

Has your opinion changed much in 2 months Crimey?

If the Euros were tomorrow I think I would go with;

GK: Hart, Butland, Forster

DF: Clyne, Walker, Cahill, Stones, Smalling, Jagielka, Baines, Rose

MF: Henderson, Milner, Delph, Alli, Dier, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley

ST: Rooney, Vardy, Kane, Rashford Welbeck

First XI:
Hart
Clyne - Stones - Cahill - Baines
Henderson - Alli
Lallana - Barkley - Sterling
Kane

Second XI:
Butland
Walker - Smalling - Jagielka - Rose
Dier - Delph
Milner - Rooney - Welbeck
Vardy

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 2:54 pm

roy's Squad

GK: Hart, Heaton, Forster

DF: Clyne, Walker, Cahill, Stones, Smalling, Jagielka, Bertrand, Rose

MF: Henderson, Milner, Alli, Dier, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Wilshere

ST: Rooney, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge

That's the squad

stand by - Townsend, Theo, Defoe, Drinkwater, Carrick & Baines

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 6:26 pm

England manager Roy Hodgson is delaying announcing his 23-man Euro 2016 squad until Monday to "better assess players' fitness" after the final round of Premier League fixtures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 10 May 2016, 6:39 pm

Ie, will Wilshere make it through the game

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 6:57 pm

Hodgson is like one of those old people who eats the same crappy sweets for years and will never be dissuaded that there are much better alternatives.

"No, I like my barley sugars!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 May 2016, 7:19 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Ie, will Wilshere make it through the game

And can Welbeck, Roy's favourite son, make it on the plane?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 May 2016, 1:33 am

My squad:
GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton (3)
Def: Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Cresswell, Walker, Bertrand, Stones, Dann (8)
Mid: Henderson, Dier, Lallana, Rooney, Alli, Milner, Noble, Townsend (8)
Str: Kane, Vardy, Carroll, Sturridge (4)

Standing by: Defoe, Barkley, Deeney, Jagielka, Carrick, Rose, Lennon, Drinkwater

Assume Welbeck unfit and Wilshere unproven.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 May 2016, 9:21 am

Andros Townsend looks like he will make the squad & Theo Walcott won't apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 15 May 2016, 9:14 pm

Fantastic news.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 May 2016, 11:05 am

Rashford is in the initial 26 man squad - surely that's just for him to be around the main squad in the build up, he won't be going? I'd rather have Defoe.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 11:07 am

Yeah, Theo not included & Townsend is, which is fully deserved. Rashford & Delph included in the provisional 26 man squad. No Baines or Jagielka.

Expect Rashford & Delph to be dropped from that 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 May 2016, 11:08 am

Yeah I'm expecting Delph, Rashford then possibly Wilshere, Walker or Drinkwater to be third to be dropped.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 May 2016, 11:10 am

Jack Wilshere and Fabian Delph? So literally all you have to do is play twice for a big club and you're in...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 16 May 2016, 11:15 am

Delph? Townsend? Wilshere? Henderson? The blinkered view continues. Longing for a strong manager. Noble and Antonio can feel rightly robbed.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 16 May 2016, 11:15 am

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 16 May 2016, 11:18 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Delph? Townsend? Wilshere? Henderson? The blinkered view continues. Longing for a strong manager. Noble and Antonio can feel rightly robbed.

Said it before, cant believe Noble has not been called up to play for England.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 16 May 2016, 11:27 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Delph? Townsend? Wilshere? Henderson? The blinkered view continues. Longing for a strong manager. Noble and Antonio can feel rightly robbed.

Ha same four I questioned getting in. Very light in central defence as well bit of a worry

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 May 2016, 11:29 am

I see why Wilshere is included, we don't really have another player that can play between the lines.

I wouldn't have picked him mind. Cant see Rashford making the 23, and with only 8 defenders, imagine 2 CMs have to go, likely Delph and Townsend I imagine.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 16 May 2016, 11:31 am

Guess Dier is considered the spare centre back. Think thats probably wise, I wouldnt be surprised if hes our best centre back even though he hasnt played there for a while

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 16 May 2016, 11:36 am

Hate to say it but I'm guessing if Henderson and wilshere are fit enough Drinkwater will be one to drop out

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 11:52 am

Rashford is the new Walcott. Take him to a major tournament, don't use him then watch as his career flickers out over the next ten years.

or

Take Rashford to the Under 21's tournament where he's near enough guaranteed a place in the starting 11. Give him the experience and build him up over the next two years

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 16 May 2016, 11:55 am

Only 8 defenders? Blimey how many defenders would you want to take?

Shocking that Delph has got in...same goes for Wilshere (2 games and a hatful of unflattering incidents) what message does that send out! I have no doubt that had Welbeck not got injured he'd be there too, despite barely playing either.

Defoe can feel very unlucky, given Sturrdige got in ahead of him, a man who can barely stay fit whenever he has to play a few games in a two week period; that's not even mentioning the fact he didn't play in qualifiers and has barely played this year.

Noble and even Creswell can feel very unlucky!

On the plus side, great to see Dier, Ali, Vardy, Smalling and the like get in. Form players who have consistently performed all season. Big well done to Heaton too, won't play but deserved call up.

Given our plethora of CM's I think he is going to be looking at playing 4-3-3 with Kane spearheading the strike force, Roomey out wide with one of Lallana/Vardy/Sturrdige playing the other side.

What does everyone think will be the starting XI/ formation?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 16 May 2016, 12:04 pm

I've just read over what Hodgson has said in his press conference; he states that Walcott has not had regular games as his reason for not picking him...yet he is happy to include Delph & Wilshere...go figure. Man is a walking contradiction..sorry but quicker we get rid of him the better.

It's also reported that Rooney has been told he will be playing on the left side of the front 3 in all likelihood, or at the top of the diamond formation. He himself has told Roy he wants to play in the holding role Shocked

Hart
Clyne Smalling Stones Rose

Henderson, Wilshere, Milner

Lallana, Kane, Rooney

Think that's the starting XI come the Euros!

Cover isn't essential ATM as if anyone gets injured before tournament a replacement can be called upon. If it happens during the tournament, well we have Dier who can play in defence and Milner who we all know is happy to play anywhere..that's cover for 11 positions right there Whistle

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 May 2016, 12:07 pm

I miscounted, its 7 anyway. I want cover for injuries.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 May 2016, 12:09 pm

Expecting this as starting line up in first game:

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Alli

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Kane

Think he'll end up using Vardy as a bench option. 

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 May 2016, 12:09 pm

Delph is standby fodder anyway. We have Henderson, Drinkwater and Milner to do the same job. Its just a guy with some international experience Roy feels comfortable having in reserve if someone gets injured.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 1:03 pm

Crimey wrote:Expecting this as starting line up in first game:

Hart

Dier Rooney

Lallana Alli Sterling

Kane

More like that Crimey. I reckon Roy will swap Alli & Rooney, so that Alli is the no.10, we saw how devastating he can be vs Germany. Rooney doesn't have the legs or pressing ability to play that 10 anymore. Can't complain about the rest of the side, although Sterling is absolutely awful, we have no alternatives, as Townsend is a right winger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 May 2016, 1:19 pm

I just can't see Rooney starting that deep for Hodgson. I'm not sure Rooney should be starting full stop, but if he does, I think it'll most likely be number ten role, possibly as the centre forward, maybe even out wide. Doubt he'll start so deep for Hodgson's England. 

You could possibly put Lallana on the left and have Townsend or even Sturridge on the right but I think the latter would be imbalanced and I do think Sterling is better than Townsend albeit he's had a really bad season and lacks a top quality final product.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 16 May 2016, 1:22 pm

I might be the only one, but I would prefer to take Townsend over Lallana & Sterling.

If i had to pick, i'd leave Rashford, Lallana and Sterling behind.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 May 2016, 2:05 pm

Poor Defoe. All through his career, unfairly overlooked.

Rooney/Rashford/Sterling/Delph/Drinkwater - none of them should have made the squad on merit.

Still, En-ger-land for the Euros!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 2:26 pm

Surprised Duty has the ability to type any comment on this subject. Would have thought he'd be standing on top of a very high building screaming "Theo, Theo my beautiful Theo...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" whilst the emergency services take bets on whether or not he'll jump frantically scramble to ensure his safety

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 16 May 2016, 3:05 pm

Duty281 wrote:Poor Defoe. All through his career, unfairly overlooked.

Rooney/Rashford/Sterling/Delph/Drinkwater - none of them should have made the squad on merit.

Still, En-ger-land for the Euros!

Drinkwater deserves to go on form, and at the end of the day, isn't that what people want the squad picked on?

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 May 2016, 3:13 pm

Mixture really for me.

I recognise the form thing, but having a settled team is also pretty important.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 May 2016, 3:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Surprised Duty has the ability to type any comment on this subject. Would have thought he'd be standing on top of a very high building screaming "Theo, Theo my beautiful Theo...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" whilst the emergency services take bets on whether or not he'll jump frantically scramble to ensure his safety

Poor Theo. Still, I hope the gorgeous lad will be in some punditry box in glorious HD.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 3:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Surprised Duty has the ability to type any comment on this subject. Would have thought he'd be standing on top of a very high building screaming "Theo, Theo my beautiful Theo...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" whilst the emergency services take bets on whether or not he'll jump frantically scramble to ensure his safety

Poor Theo. Still, I hope the gorgeous lad will be in some punditry box in glorious HD.
If that happens I will be turning the sound off...closely followed by the tv....Theo may be many things, a football pundit is not one of them. In an ironic twist mimicking his life and career, I foresee Theo being selected for BBC punditry and never given the chance to be in front of the cameras or he's picked but its abundantly clear there are better options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 16 May 2016, 7:59 pm

Cant argue with what everyone is saying...Wilshire etc?? How has he made it?

But my concern is centre back. Stones has the potential to be top class....but are SMalling and Cahill really the best centre backs in the country??? That's the biggest concern!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 17 May 2016, 9:06 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:But my concern is centre back. Stones has the potential to be top class....but are SMalling and Cahill really the best centre backs in the country??? That's the biggest concern!

Yes? 

Centre back has gone from England's best position, ten years ago the centre backs were: John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher, Sol Campbell with a fitter Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and probably others in back up. 

Now that is genuinely the best left to offer. The other options are Phil Jagielka, who was never top class and is on his last legs. Scott Dann who isn't fantastic. You've got Phil Jones, is he injured? Doesn't really matter he's not good enough. Simon Francis and Steve Cook at Bournemouth were discussed, but they're hardly amazing. Whose left? Craig Dawson? Calum Chambers? James Tomkins?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 May 2016, 9:55 am

That's a worrying thought Crimey.

I cant even think of any thnk of any other yonugsters like Stones coming through.

Ironically I think Laschelles could be very good and is physically imposing and will possibly be our Captain next season.....but he'll be spending a season in the championship!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 20 May 2016, 2:35 pm

Crimey wrote:Yeah I'm expecting Delph, Rashford then possibly Wilshere, Walker or Drinkwater to be third to be dropped.
I would keep Rashford in, he offers alternative pace up front to Vardy which the likes of Kane, Rooney and Sturridge don't have.

Glad to see Townsend in the squad, for me, he offers more going forward than the likes or Barkley (still head down/ too greedy) and Lallana.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Milner play at right back in one of these friendlies and that possibly leading to Walker, Drinkwater and Delph being left behind.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 20 May 2016, 2:37 pm

Antonio may have had an outside chance but Noble I just don't see it.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 20 May 2016, 2:38 pm

Crimey wrote:Expecting this as starting line up in first game:

Hart

Dier Alli

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Kane

Think he'll end up using Vardy as a bench option. 
I hope we don't go 4231. Vardy and Kane are our strength, let's go two up front and be bold.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 20 May 2016, 2:40 pm

Crimey wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:But my concern is centre back. Stones has the potential to be top class....but are SMalling and Cahill really the best centre backs in the country??? That's the biggest concern!

Yes? 

Centre back has gone from England's best position, ten years ago the centre backs were: John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher, Sol Campbell with a fitter Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and probably others in back up. 

Now that is genuinely the best left to offer. The other options are Phil Jagielka, who was never top class and is on his last legs. Scott Dann who isn't fantastic. You've got Phil Jones, is he injured? Doesn't really matter he's not good enough. Simon Francis and Steve Cook at Bournemouth were discussed, but they're hardly amazing. Whose left? Craig Dawson? Calum Chambers? James Tomkins?
I think Roy Hodgson missed a trick with the defence. I would have started and played the same back four in every friendly from the Germany game upto the start of the tournament. No point changing it every game.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 20 May 2016, 6:26 pm

sportform wrote:
Antonio may have had an outside chance but Noble I just don't see it.

Delph? The crocked twins? Noble has been fantastic this year, you'd have to be blind to think he isnt worth a shout

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 May 2016, 7:26 pm

Nobles unfortunate, hes too old and not really good enough to force his way in at this stage over players Roy trusts.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 20 May 2016, 8:15 pm

He's only 29 bless his heart. Its not so much starting or even being picked, but with those injuries and Delph being a bit part in a City side that scraped 4th, well I just cant see how its justified.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 May 2016, 8:36 pm

Delph is just a trusted face for Roy who'll be the alternate to the untested Drinkwater. Noble probably hasn't been good enough to overcome that without much long term potential.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 20 May 2016, 9:13 pm

Shouldn't be how it is. Delph isn't being helped here either. Just encouraged to stay and be a bit part, not losing out.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 May 2016, 9:48 pm

As I said before, I see the need to keep a stable group. Including every flavour of the month doesn't help England much either tbh.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next