The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

+10
wolfball
RuggerRadge2611
Notch
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
EWT Spoons
marty2086
LordDowlais
No9
fa0019
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? - Page 2 Empty Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Watching the Scotland vs Wales match I started to wonder if refs should now get google glasses especially for set piece and TMO's. The technology is there, why not use it?

First off I thought Wales just about edged the match and think they deserved the win. Scotland just didn't quite have the belief nor ability to secure their own set piece to win against a quality top 5 team like Wales.

However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally. I know Scotland probably were doing it too on their own attacks but it just so happened that the eye in the sky showed a number of times Wales doing it.
They often tended to drive on the angle to isolate particular props and seem to go forward when really they weren't.  The eye in the sky showed this quite clear so should we literally give refs the technology to control this via google glasses? Driving in at an angle is always one of the those difficult things to tell from ground level but very obvious from the sky. It could be real time so I think it would be a good idea. Also means the ref can check TMO's himself.

I think it would improve the scrums, make it more of a contest as teams won't be able to play that grey area and without any changes to rules so why not use it?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:37 am

I'm sure coaches are gutted when their players get one over on the opposition team and ref!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by carpet baboon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:42 am

Japan vs SA. Japan won all 7 of there scrums.
Only one scrum penalty. It went against south Africa.
So the moral of the story. Stop fecking about at scrum's

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:44 am

I've seen teams get on top at scrums, squeeze pens and win that way. A strong scrum is a very good thing though. And that includes being able to cheat. You're not going to get coaches insist their team play fair, it's a proffessional game.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:52 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I've seen teams get on top at scrums, squeeze pens and win that way. A strong scrum is a very good thing though. And that includes being able to cheat. You're not going to get coaches insist their team play fair, it's a proffessional game.

I agree but the problem with the scrum is that its all smoke and mirrors... what's going on is rarely what's actually going on.  Coaches will play the grey area of the sport but if something comes up where they can't openly act illegally and not only get away with it but force the ref to penalise the opposition incorrectly then surely its a good thing.
Maybe it will be unworkable, maybe refs will be too occupied but if I think if the technology is available it should be investigated.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

I agree fa, don't think we need that tech though just a ref eitehr side of the scrum who know what they're looking for.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Tue 16 Feb 2016, 10:10 am

LordDowlais wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Not sure where you are getting that from.

Well lets take a look at things.

Last year it was all about Dan Biggar and Finn Russel and Rhys Webb's try.

The year before it was all about Stuart Hogg and his red card

The year before that the game where Hibbard scored the only try it was all about how the ref only penalised one team at the breakdowns.

Then it was all about Shane Williams try with his foot in touch, I could go on an on.......

It is just getting a bit tiresome.

The thing that's tiresome is this victim mentality that certain Welsh posters seem to suffer from, it's getting very boring and ruining some decent threads. Give it a rest lads, you have a decent team capable of beating any NH side when on form, your whinging is far more annoying than anyone who dares to mention Wales when questioning decisions.

No9 wrote:You obviously feel bruised, after the self belief that Scotland where now the top NH side following their RWC success. I'm so sorry for you that its not the case. I just hope you can beat Italy next, as I have this suspicion you wont... But on a positive note, you will get another spoon for that trophy cabinet... Cheers..

Nothing like putting the boot in when a man is down. The Scottish posters on here have been pretty much exemplary in both the lead-up and aftermath of both games, despite possibly feeling let down by a team that promised much more. It's a shame others can't follow their example.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

Hoonercat wrote:

The thing that's tiresome is this victim mentality that certain Welsh posters seem to suffer from, it's getting very boring and ruining some decent threads. Give it a rest lads, you have a decent team capable of beating any NH side when on form, your whinging is far more annoying than anyone who dares to mention Wales when questioning decisions.

Where-as we're all tired of anti-welsh sentiment. It's not coincidence that a few posters happen to be mentioning it. It's also not coincidence that the team who mostly gets mentioned in the context of articles like this is Wales, a sentiment that happens to follow all Wales fixtures. There's clear whinging at what Wales apparently cheated and got away with in the OP and we have to put up with reading it after every game.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:

Where-as we're all tired of anti-welsh sentiment. It's not coincidence that a few posters happen to be mentioning it. It's also not coincidence that the team who mostly gets mentioned in the context of articles like this is Wales, a sentiment that happens to follow all Wales fixtures. There's clear whinging at what Wales apparently cheated and got away with in the OP and we have to put up with reading it after every game.

Maybe Wales cheat more?  laughing

Re-read the OP's original post. It really doesn't come across as anti-Welsh to me, in fact the OP seems to feel the need to almost apologise for mentioning Wales before he even begins, as if he knows what's coming next. Oh, and no mention of the try that shouldn't have been allowed either  Very Happy
First off I thought Wales just about edged the match and think they deserved the win. Scotland just didn't quite have the belief nor ability to secure their own set piece to win against a quality top 5 team like Wales.
However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally. I know Scotland probably were doing it too on their own attacks but it just so happened that the eye in the sky showed a number of times Wales doing it.

I probably shouldn't have highlighted that last bit, the eye in the sky will be getting accused of bias next  Shocked

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

I guess it wouldn't, but this poster has a history of latching onto SA when it suits him. There were more offences and by Scotland which could have been pointed out but unsurprisingly they weren't. I guess that the fact this this sentiment always follows this fixture is another factor in some of the reactions. Wales were quite dominant in the scrum and lineouts I thought, which shows improvement from last year. The part of the OP that you've quoted is entirely subjective.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:08 pm

It's creeping onto every thread though, on another thread we were accused of saying we think ALL our players are world class, then you have another member starting a thread off just to WUM about Gareth Davies's try, and then we have this one, FFS, are we not allowed to get fed up of this ? 

Why are we just whingers ? If it was the other way around we would be accused of being ref bashers and moaners, or WUM's.

But I suppose it's the V2 way. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:50 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I guess it wouldn't, but this poster has a history of latching onto SA when it suits him. There were more offences and by Scotland which could have been pointed out but unsurprisingly they weren't.

But you won the game, it's not often you'll see fans of a winning side posting to complain about the ref unless it was a really bad refereeing performance throughout. Wales may have been dominant in the scrum, but the OP clearly thinks that's because they were cheating so why not ask for video proof if you feel he is wrong?

It's also not coincidence that the team who mostly gets mentioned in the context of articles like this is Wales, a sentiment that happens to follow all Wales fixtures

Then maybe the OP has a point?

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

I think this thread has ceased to have a reason for remaining given the purpose of the OP hasn't overly been discussed.

So I'm going to lock it.

Another one. Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2