The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight

+10
Rodney
AlexHuckerby
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
Dipper Brown
BoxingFan88
Jermaine2015
Baby faced assassin
wheelchair1991
14 posters

Go down

Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight Empty Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 8:41 pm

It has been confirmed that the two have started talks for a summer showdown between the pair. I actually really like this fight.

Who do you think wins?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight Empty Re: Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 15 Mar 2016, 8:50 pm

Good return for Groves, Murray is solid but doesn't really do anything special at all. Light puncher, ok work rate, ok defence, but in general nothing that'll both groves in the way of power

Was really disappointed in Martins fight against Abraham thought abraham was there for the taking but he just gave him too much respect

Equally I was disappointed in groves performance against jack, he knew he could hurt him but in the end that was his downfall was too eager to ge the highlight reel ko he forgot the basics and allowed jack to dictate the fight

Think he got lazy after he dropped froth, needs to be prepared to go 12 as Murray is solid and won't go down easy but yea think groves will discover some old form and win fairly easily, if he continues to slide it's interesting
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight Empty Re: Murray v Groves start talks for summer fight

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm

Groves' speed is far too much for a plodder like Murray

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm

Groves stops him

Good fight though

Wonder if it's on ppv....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 16 Mar 2016, 7:22 am

'Really gets the (banter) juices flowing this one. These two have never liked each other and they've been on collision course since day one. This fight will decide who's got bragging rights in the 'I've lost more title fights than you' argument' - matchroom mantra...repeat until cross eyed

In all seriousness, it's not a bad match up provided it isn't hyped to death and put on PPV. Groves should be a level above though. Winner fights Callum Smith?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

Hopefully it isnt on ppv if it is i won't buy it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:08 am

Don't know what it is about Murray. I'd rather watch a plank warp. Can't get excited anticipating any of his fights nor excited actually watching them. Tough man though, took his beating from golovkin.

Groves I like watching but the more I see him, the more he looks like a busted flush (I guess some might say it wasn't much of a flush in the first place).

Not a dig at the fighters personally, I'm just not too interested in this.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:26 am

It's not a big fight.....Not something I'd kick red out to watch..

Two perennial losers.........One is quicker with a bigger dig......and one is slower and lacks a dig..

Murray can't win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:Don't know what it is about Murray. I'd rather watch a plank warp. Can't get excited anticipating any of his fights nor excited actually watching them. Tough man though, took his beating from golovkin.

Groves I like watching but the more I see him, the more he looks like a busted flush (I guess some might say it wasn't much of a flush in the first place).

Not a dig at the fighters personally, I'm just not too interested in this.

I thought Groves looked the business prior to the Froch fights (and even for a few rounds at the beginning of the first fight). He took a fair bit of leather from Froch, though, and has appeared a bit fragile since. Talent to burn, though.

I'd watch it. Good, competitive domestic clash. I just hope it isn't hyped beyond what it is.

Paul Smith vs Murray would have been a better match-up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:09 pm

"Who Dares Loses" good tagline.

But in all seriousness I think it's a good fight. Murray will cause problems but not sure he has the dig to give Groves fits, nor the speed and intensity. He's like a less powerful Froch, don't fancy his chances. Groves takes this for me, but Murray is tough to stop so think on points.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:36 pm

Agreed, it's a good Euro level fight but will no doubt be a for a "World" strap that even the WBA deem too farcical to endorse. Shame sometimes that the tawdry yet ever so shiny bauble promoters attach to this events detracts from what on papers is a decent enough fight so long as people see it for what it really is.

Somehow, I doubt that whoever wins, will see their ranking increase dramatically as a result. "Yeah, Fighter A beat Fighter B but it still doesn't tell us anything about where they go from here."

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

You're wrong.. If Groves loses it will be a devastating blow to a potential big money Degale fight..

Most people have written Murray off now.......Golovkin took the stuffing out of him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm

Agree Truss a loss to either guy I think is a massive blow and a win propels them to potential world titles or another big fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

Its a decent matchup - echo the sentiments of the majority I hope isn't hyped too much with another themed 'GRUDGE' match. Groves is the pick at the moment but Murray is a tough kid to put away.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 16 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Most people have written Murray off now.......Golovkin took the stuffing out of him..

Don't quite see anything to suggest golovkin has "taken the stuffing out of him". If you look at Murray performance against Sturm and AA can't really say he look like he's really been damaged by GGG and AA and Sturm are the same class of fighter and that AA is a bigger puncher
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Don't quite see anything to suggest golovkin has "taken the stuffing out of him". If you look at Murray performance against Sturm and AA can't really say he look like he's really been damaged by GGG and AA and Sturm are the same class of fighter and that  AA is a bigger puncher
Murray faced Sturm before he faced GGG so I don't see the point you're trying to make.

As for Abraham, he was a puncher at 160, not at 168.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Baby faced assassin wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Don't quite see anything to suggest golovkin has "taken the stuffing out of him". If you look at Murray performance against Sturm and AA can't really say he look like he's really been damaged by GGG and AA and Sturm are the same class of fighter and that  AA is a bigger puncher
Murray faced Sturm before he faced GGG so I don't see the point you're trying to make.

As for Abraham, he was a puncher at 160, not at 168.

Can you really not work it out yourself?

Murray pre GGG was him vs Sturm
Murray post GGG was him vs Abraham

Abraham and sturm are fairly similar level wise

Murray performance vs AA was similar to his peformance vs Sturm

I.e, him post and pre GGG shows no slide from murray
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

I didn't know what you meant either but do now and I agree with you.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:33 pm

I think a combination of lack of ring intelligence and a bit of lack of belief plays against Murray, He has got guts but I have got the feeling in his title fights that he boxes like a man that doesnt really expect or know how to get over the line. Groves strikes me as a bad match for Murray.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're wrong.. If Groves loses it will be a devastating blow to a potential big money Degale fight..

DeGale will use it as an excuse to avoid Groves saying that a guy who's come up short in 3 world title fights just beat a guy who's come up short 4 times in World title fights.....and that a lot of people have already written Groves off saying that Froch took the stuffing out of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:Good return for Groves, Murray is solid but doesn't really do anything special at all. Light puncher, ok work rate, ok defence, but in general nothing that'll both groves in the way of power

Was really disappointed in Martins fight against Abraham thought abraham was there for the taking but he just gave him too much respect

Equally I was disappointed in groves performance against jack, he knew he could hurt him but in the end that was his downfall was too eager to ge the highlight reel ko he forgot the basics and allowed jack to dictate the fight

Think he got lazy after he dropped froth,  needs to be prepared to go 12 as Murray is solid and won't go down easy but yea think groves will discover some old form and win fairly easily, if he continues to slide it's interesting

Pretty much sums it up for me, Groves definitely has the potential to be the better fighter of the 2 and to go further than Murray whose style just doesn't excite. A loss for Groves and he can forget about another fight with DeGale.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Mar 2016, 4:06 pm

I think a Degale fight will have to wait until 2017, most likely, anyway. Degale has bigger fish to fry right now, Medina then the winner of Jack/Bute to unify, then be could even be looking at Ramirez which would be huge in America. Groves will have to do more than just Murray to get a shot at Degale right now and I say that as a big George Groves fan.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 17 Mar 2016, 5:26 pm

Groves added to the Joshua bill April 9th. Fighting David Brophy. Anyone know him?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 17 Mar 2016, 5:31 pm

If Groves uses he's boxing ability, then its a wide UD or late stoppage for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Mar 2016, 12:17 am

Brophy is a decent technician but this is a huge step up for him, remember watching him on the undercard in the First Direct Arena in Leeds for Josh Warrington Vs David Dieli. Was facing a proper punching bag. 16 wins and only one KO suggests his power isn't quite there! Interestingly enough I saw his only ever stoppage live. #MakingHistory

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:17 pm

Murray was a world class middleweight who was unable to win a title. He's moved up to Super not for a title but for money. His ambition for titles is simply not there. He had his chance now he's building up his pension pot.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down