The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 18 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 18 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

Mikey, he won't dance through gaps but if he's got players running off them he'll put them through holes all day. As you say boot and the ability to control a game make him a quality 10. If he can get a good run if games under his belt so he's fully fit then he's comfortably the second best Welsh flyhalf option. Another season or two regular rugby and he has the ability to overtake Biggar.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 18 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 15 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm

Williams is obviously not in Bigger's class, but he'd be a decent squad option for the Welsh, he's a handy player.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

I'd argue Rhys Priestland fit and in form is the second best Welsh option at 10.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:07 pm

Driver wrote:I'd argue Rhys Priestland fit and in form is the second best Welsh option at 10.

At his best without question. Problem is his best was a while ago and he doesn't seem to show the sort of consistency which makes the Wales selectors job harder.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm

Might get the chance too under Blackadder if George Ford does jump ship. I was at Twickenham in '11 when he came in at 10 for Jones at the last minute and bossed the show.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 15 Sep 2016, 3:02 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Williams is obviously not in Bigger's class, but he'd be a decent squad option for the Welsh, he's a handy player.

If he can get back to fitness he will undoubtedly come into consideration. At present he is behind, Biggar, Priestland, Anscombe, Patchell and Davies, probably in that order But with Priestland likely to miss out under the new selection rules, Anscombe and Patchell still learning the role at regional level and Davies very much no 2 at the Ospreys, Williams could get an opening to jump the queue?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 15 Sep 2016, 3:24 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Williams is obviously not in Bigger's class, but he'd be a decent squad option for the Welsh, he's a handy player.

I said in a couple of seasons time. He's obviously not there yet but has the attributes to be better if he can get the right experience and stay fit for extended period.

Driver, I don't think I've seen Priestland look confident and in form for a while. He had his critics whilst playing for Wales and it seemed to really effect him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:26 pm

Plenty of it's and buts there Sam. I don't think OW will ever be as good as Bigger personally.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Thu 15 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

Driver wrote:I'd argue Rhys Priestland fit and in form is the second best Welsh option at 10.

When you're playing Scotland or Italy and you know you'll have the majority of possession and string some training ground moves together then priestland can do a job but the guy is mentally fragile and has no composure. I remember the guy at twickenham in 2012 trying to run the ball from under his posts cos he can't think under pressure. It's anscombe turn to back up Biggar until Sam Davies is ready to take the reigns

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:37 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Plenty of it's and buts there Sam. I don't think OW will ever be as good as Bigger personally.

What areas do you consider to be a weakness? I've seen him play a lot and to my mind the only reason I can see as to why he's not an international is injury and a frankly dodgy suspension.

Personally I'd like to see Williams fully fit and at ten with Burns at 15 in the Murphy role for Tigers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:08 pm

True Raven wrote:

When you're playing Scotland or Italy and you know you'll have the majority of possession and string some training ground moves together then priestland can do a job but the guy is mentally fragile and has no composure.  I remember the guy at twickenham in 2012 trying to run the ball from under his posts cos he can't think under pressure.  It's anscombe turn to back up Biggar until Sam Davies is ready to take the reigns

Anscombe has to learn how to defend first, he can hide at 15 (which he often does even when playing at 10 for Cardiff, just like Dan Parks did) at 10 at test level his revolving door defence will be a liability.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:20 pm

Not many people thought Biggar would be this good 3-4 years ago.

Things change, it's hard to say exactly how much a player can kick on or slide, OW is still v young
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:42 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Not many people thought Biggar would be this good 3-4 years ago.

Things change, it's hard to say exactly how much a player can kick on or slide, OW is still v young

Biggars only recently got a reputation in the international game but in Wales he's been highly touted since he was 18. I remember when he was 22 four years ago and nailed a touchline conversion in the dying moments to win the pro12 at the RDS against the European champions 31-30. The guy has oozed quality since he made his debut at 18

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 16 Sep 2016, 2:39 am

Agree with Raven, Bigger has always looked a quality option, it just took a while to give him a run.

No real weaknesses Sam but I don't see that much quality when he plays. As CJ says he could kick on, but at 24 I don't think he's going to improve that much.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 16 Sep 2016, 7:40 am

I should add that if Owen Williams has serious Wales ambitions (same with Callum sheedy at Bristol) then he needs to leave Leicester asap. With Biggar aged 26, anscombe aged 24/25 and Sam Davies who in the past 12 months has seriously developed aged 22 there is no place in the Welsh team for him atm plying his trade in the premiership.

Not a knock on Leicester who I am a big fan of but with PRL flexing their muscles anytime a Welsh players needs early release there is no point picking him over Sam Davies who will get released whenever Garland deems it.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Sep 2016, 9:46 am

Very true Raven. With only two players to be picked outside of Wales (contract allowance taken into account) you have to be really filling a hole or undroppable to be capped by Wales whilst playing elsewhere. However, technically Williams signed his last contract before Gatland's law came to pass so he could come into the squad no problems. Of course as you say he'll have to get back to the outstanding form he was in the other year and avoid the injuries that destroyed last season for him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 16 Sep 2016, 4:57 pm

Carl Fearns rumoured to Tigers

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 16 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

nathan wrote:Carl Fearns rumoured to Tigers

Interesting. He was on a podcast the other week talking about how much he hated the last year at Bath. But also that we he signed for Bath he turned down Tigers. So, wouldn't be surprised that if he wants to come back to England, then Tigers is a great option for him. Great player and good fit for both parties. Would be gutted to see him playing against us though

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 16 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Any particular reason he hated his last season at Bath? Can't have just been the presence of Henson surely...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 16 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

Mike Ford has absolutely no man management skills whatsoever yappy, he wasn't a popular head coach.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 16 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

Bathite wrote:
nathan wrote:Carl Fearns rumoured to Tigers

Interesting. He was on a podcast the other week talking about how much he hated the last year at Bath. But also that we he signed for Bath he turned down Tigers. So, wouldn't be surprised that if he wants to come back to England, then Tigers is a great option for him. Great player and good fit for both parties. Would be gutted to see him playing against us though

and the Fact he prefers to play 8 will be a draw since we are desperate for a hard running 8 but who also has a fair amount of workrate, all the 8's i have heard have been 6/8's.

(Well you will feel same as Sharks fans did when he played against them).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 21 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

According to the bastion of sports journalism, the Daily Express, Glaws have been linked to Castleford wing Denny Solomona. Given our lack of back 3 options this would be a welcome signing, if somewhat of a gamble.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 21 Sep 2016, 1:35 pm

Has Fearns overcome all his injury problems these days? He was a real hope when he was young yet just seemed to be permanently injured or recovering from injury

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 21 Sep 2016, 2:13 pm

He's in France with Lyon GF
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 21 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

yappysnap wrote:Any particular reason he hated his last season at Bath? Can't have just been the presence of Henson surely...

Ford had lost the dressing room by all accounts. Burgess affair was a real shambles. Apparently they showed a powerpoint presentation of him about 12 months before he joined telling everyone the impact he was going to make on the team. Just a joke really.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 21 Sep 2016, 3:15 pm

Driver wrote:He's in France with Lyon GF

Yes I know mate, just wondering if he was still having his problems or was injury free.

What a player if he was injury free.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 21 Sep 2016, 3:24 pm

Apparently Glasgow have signed a gigantic, tattooed lunatic:
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-sign-human-locomotive-langilangi-haupeakui-1-4235641

He'll be disappointed when he realises that has no rarety value in Glasgow.  Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 21 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm

Yeah that's pretty normal up there ha ha.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

George Carlin wrote:Apparently Glasgow have signed a gigantic, tattooed lunatic:
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-sign-human-locomotive-langilangi-haupeakui-1-4235641

He'll be disappointed when he realises that has no rarety value in Glasgow.  Very Happy

That is potentially a very good signing. He will have been on the radar of a lot of European clubs.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Sep 2016, 8:44 pm

Falcons have said a major signing announced tomorrow?? Curious who that could be!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 22 Sep 2016, 8:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons have said a major signing announced tomorrow??  Curious who that could be!

Odd time of year to come in. Must be a SH player. Can't be that former Durham student centre you picked up today.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Sep 2016, 8:58 pm

Nah its not Burden the centre.

Another one. Its being built up as a biggy.

But some rumours that' it's Davy Wilson coming back. I genuinely hope not!!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 22 Sep 2016, 9:19 pm

Newcastle have a bit of a track record of building up signings, only for them to be a bit underwhelming! I wouldn't be too excited if I were you GF!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

I'm not mate. I just hope to god it's not Davy Wilson. He was in the falcons bar this weekend.

I hope it's a quality midfielder.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 22 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

Be an odd move given Bath have little option at tighthead, it's really only Wilson or Thomas. Falcons have the other Wilson, Welsh and Vea. A controlling playmaker would be a far better use of the cash. Just think what impact Goode had, Falcons are crying out for that kind of control in the 10 shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Sep 2016, 11:07 pm

They're saying him because Scotty Wilson is,still out and Vea is out which Leaves us with Welsh and Ryan and young Foster.

But even with that I wouldn't want Davy Wilson.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:38 am

He's not that bad a player. He's probably better than your tightheads when fully fit and in form. Whether you're happy with the cap/budget being spent on him is another matter entirely.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:47 am

There was a time when he was clearly the second best in his position in the league, when on form a solid scrummager but also very good around the field.

Injuries seem to have dogged him though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:55 am

Bets are on Flood or Wilson, I guess the latter.

I'd be happy with either tbh, any added quality is welcome.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:02 am

Flood might give you the control you need from half back. Been lots of rumours about him returning but he's still playing at Tolouse.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:46 am

Wilson to Falcons confirmed on Twitter.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 23 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm

Dave Wilson is the one from the pair I didn't want. It's Falcons transfer policy in a nutshell. Add a marque player too a position where we have quality already but neglect other positions by shoe horning players in there. Socks playing 10 for a period is that personified.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 3:04 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/23/mike-ford-to-join-toulon-as-first-team-coach/

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 23 Sep 2016, 4:01 pm

Wilson said last year that he's fallen out of love with the game. Let's be honest he wasn't the only one in the bath squad like that under the previous regime. He was incredible for us in the lead up to the World Cup but has really tailed off with injury.

Thomas isn't quite ready to be at his level yet, he still gives away a lot of pens and whilst Palmer-Newport is coming along, lahiff is a terrible th. We are now looking really short, but you'd have to assume Wilson was on a substantial wedge as a international th, so hoping that frees up some movement to grab someone from the sh.

Apparently fruean will arrive in November and the visa issues has been worked through.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2016, 4:43 pm

Bathite I was wondering that maybe Blackadder was going to use his Crusaders connections and contact a certain LI prop.

Seems a few AP teams are eying up late deals for SH players.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 23 Sep 2016, 5:41 pm

Yeah I was surprised that Franks committed to the championship. Surprised and impressed. He is predominantly a lh though. Is he good enough at th?

We haven't signed a London Irish player for a while.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 24 Sep 2016, 1:59 am

Must be getting withdrawal symptoms Wink

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:43 am

What a feckin statement by the falcons!! Sign a past it has-been!!!! What a joke

Time for Dean to move on!!

Sam,
He's nowhere near as good as Welsh or Vea these days.

Retirement move....fuming!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Sep 2016, 9:23 am

He's hardly past it, he's only 31! If he can stay got and in form for more than five minutes he'll more than likely be back in the England reckoning. Sick note maybe but past it certainly not. Rejuvenate him in a similar way to Brookes and he'll be starting ahead of Vea and Welsh.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Sep 2016, 9:29 am

We (Dragons) were pretty close to signing Mike Ford. Guess he fancied a bit of sun. His loss. And ours too I guess as we're going nowhere fast.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next