The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

+13
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Corporalhumblebucket
king_carlos
James100
thegooch7
kingdaveeagle
alfie
Jetty
SimonofSurrey
chichestersurryfan
JDizzle
jimbohammers
Strings Philander
17 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Apr 2016, 7:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Club captain: Gareth Batty

First team squad for 2016 summer

Batsmen: Rory Burns, Arun Harinath, Dominic Sibley, Kumar Sangakarra (overseas), Aaron Finch (cover for Sangakarra during CPL)

Wicket-keepers: Ben Foakes, Gary Wilson, Steve Davies

All-rounders: Zafar Ansari, James Burke, Aneesh Kapil, Azhar Mahmood (British passport - T20 only), Dwayne Bravo (T20 only), Chris Morris (cover for Dwayne Bravo during CPl - T20 only)

Seamers: Tom Curran, Sam Curran, Jade Dernbach, Matt Dunn, Mark Footitt, Stuart Meaker, Connor McKerr (UK passport), Matthew Philans (UK Passport), Ravi Rampaul (Kolpak)

Spinners: Gareth Batty, Freddie van den Bergh

CC division 1 fixtures

Sunday April 10 - Nottinghamshire - Trent Bridge
Sunday April 24 - Somerset - The Oval
Sunday May 1 - Durham - The Oval
Sunday May 8 - Yorkshire - Headingley
Sunday May 15 - Middlesex - The Oval
Sunday May 22 - Lancashire - Old Trafford
Saturday May 28 - Somerset - The County Ground, Taunton
Sunday June 19 - Nottinghamshire - The Oval
Saturday July 2 - Warwickshire - Guildford CC
Monday July 11 - Yorkshire - The Oval
Sunday July 17 - Hampshire - The Ageas Bowl
Thursday August 4 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground
Saturday August 13 - Warwickshire - Edgbaston
Tuesday August 23 - Lancashire - The Oval
Tuesday September 6 - Hampshire - The Oval
Monday September 12 - Durham - Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

T20 Blast fixtures

Friday May 20 - Essex - Chelmsford
Thursday May 26 - Glamorgan - The Oval
Friday June 3 - Sussex - The County Cricket Ground, Hove
Thursday June 9 - Hampshire - The Oval
Friday June 10 - Somerset - The County Ground, Taunton
Friday June 17 - Middlesex - The Oval
Friday June 24 - Glamorgan - Sophia Gardens
Saturday June 25 - Essex - The Oval
Wednesday July 6 - Gloucestershire - Nevil Road
Friday July 8 - Somerset - The Oval
Friday July 15 - Kent - The Nevill Ground
Thursday July 21 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground
Friday July 22 - Sussex - The Oval
Friday July 29 - Kent - The Oval

Royal London One Day Cup Fixtures

Sunday June 5 - Kent - Beckenham, Worsley Bridge Road
Wednesday June 8 - Somerset - The Oval
Tuesday June 14 - Sussex - Guildford CC
Wednesday June 15 - Hampshire - The Ageas Bowl
Sunday July 24 - Essex - Chelmsford
Wednesday July 27 - Gloucestershire - The Oval
Monday August 1 - Glamorgan - The Oval
Tuesday August 2 - Middlesex - Lord's Cricket Ground

Departures from 2015: Tim Linley (RET), Vikram Solanki (RET - now 2nd XI captain), Kevin Pietersen (has announced he won't be playing county cricket in 2016), David Balcombe (RET)

Arrivals for 2016: Mark Footitt (Derbyshire), Conor McKerr (UK passport), Mathew Philans (UK passport), Ravi Rampaul (KPK), Aaron Finch (cover for Sangakarra during CPL), Dwayne Bravo (T20 only), Chris Morris (cover for Bravo during CPL - T20 only)

The other big news to report is of course the departure of former head coach Graham Ford to return to the Sri Lanka set-up as head coach with Michael Di Venuto, the long time Durham batsmen and more recently Australia batting coach, coming in as his replacement.

Director of Cricket: Alec Stewart
Head coach: Michael Di Venuto

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by king_carlos Thu 12 May 2016, 3:05 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:sadly zaf will be missing for the foreseeable future carlos Sad  the website is reporting

To quote LondonTiger from when an untimely injury happened for the Leicester rugby team:

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2016 summer discussion thread

Post by king_carlos Thu 12 May 2016, 3:12 pm

I still hope that they go with a 4 man seam attack to be honest. In 4 games the skipper has only bowled 70 overs for 5 @ 57 runs apiece. Not only is it not good for the balance of the side as a whole it also can't be good for Norahs confidence and leadership when he is having such limited impact on the game as a player.

I still believe that he has a big role to play in the season both as captain and as a bowler but at this time of the season he just can't impose himself on matches.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 May 2016, 4:25 pm

does anyone know if baby face is back for middlesex?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 12 May 2016, 5:02 pm

[quote="king_carlos"]

A young bloke called Ben Curran who happens to be the even younger brother of Tom and Sam! If he makes it into the senior squad I think my blackadder obsession would go into melt down with 'Pitt the younger and 'Pitt the embryo' being joined by 'Pitt the glint in the milkman's eye'. Laugh Laugh

Re three Currans, I still think the answer is to call Sam 'the younger', Ben (if and when) 'the even younger' and for Big Brother Tom to acquire the surely obvious moniker 'Bun' -> (CurranT)

On our season so far, we are woefully lacking in bowling. but with Footitt, JD, Meaker, Sam Curran and Zaf unavailable, ie five credible first choices, who wouldn't? The problem then is the pressure is on the batsmen knowing that only a huge total gives us a shout. Despite that, the batting is far from disastrous. We have four - yes, four - players in decent nick. In addition to Sanga and Interesting, That's All is doing a valiant job watching his last senior partners depart then trying to shepherd the tail to safety - one success, one near miss. I don't understand any questions about AH'splace at the top of the order: he may have had a quiet game against Yorks but after four games in his first season at this level, he's averaging over 40 from eight completed innings at a strike rate of +/-50. What more reasonably should you expect of an opener?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2016, 5:49 pm

alfie wrote:You fellows are getting a bit of an injury list  , I'm afraid.

Footitt gone for some time and now it seems Ansari is out for a while... he has been unlucky with the timing of his injuries with England spin bowling positions at least a little open at present ; hope he isn't going to be one of those accident prone players...

Hi Alfie - good to see you coming back to a proper thread. Smile

Yes, Ansari has been unlucky. The Club today played down the seriousness of his latest injury (no ligament damage to his thumb) but acknowledged he would be out for ''the immediate future'' (whatever that means). That's a real blow - as mentioned above by Carlos, he brings good balance to the side.

I've never been as sold as some on Footitt but I still want him fit and will be more than happy for him to show any concerns are unfounded.

Meaker is at least on the way back and has played - when the rain has stopped - for the seconds this week. I see he's in Carlos' side above. The Middlesex game might come a bit soon for his return but, there again, we haven't got the players or the points atm to be too choosey.

Another still injured and probably forgotten a bit by fans is Dernbach. However, I  suspect MDV had him in mind when he spoke last night in the aftermath of the Yorks debacle, ''We need to keep it dry [presume that's Aussie for tight - ?] and apply pressure''. I've heard Stewie say similar. Too often this season, Surrey bowlers have been going at 4, 5 or even 6 an over - so even though we've been picking up wickets, we've still been conceding too many. That said, Dernbach won't be back until the end of this month at best.

If not Meaker, I can see Pillans replacing Dunn for the Middlesex game. Unlike some, I thought Dunn getting the nod at Headingley was a very tight call. Might go the other way this weekend. Again like Carlos, I'm unsure if Dunn is fully fit - he seems down on his pace and lacking spring in his step.

As for JimBob's question about Sam Curran's availability, I don't know for sure but A-levels finish circa mid June and so probably back around then. Much as I like Sam's current ability and value his further potential, I would urge a bit of caution - Division One is a big step up, not sure Sam would have done that much better against the likes of Root, Bairstow and Collingwood in the last fortnight.

All concerning and, even more so, when more than 30% of the season will be gone after Middlesex.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 12 May 2016, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2016, 6:37 pm

Hi Simon, Carlos and all - I may be wrong (''He normally is!'' - you all shout Wink ) but I believe Ben is the middle of the three Curran boys. Cricinfo refers to his dob as ''unknown''. Sorry if that's right and messes with your monikers!

The main issue with the batting is whilst it hasn't been bad and - agreed - some of the averages are fine, it has been frustrating. Too often this season we've got into a decent position but not properly gone on. MDV referred last night to our need to not only score more centuries but also to turn some of them into ''big ones''. I snatched a few words with Stewie at Guildford CC last week (ok, JimBob, you got me - itk then! Very Happy ) and he was still fuming that we didn't get two centuries (one should have been by Harinath) against Durham and amass more than 500.

I believe it's the mindset of ''being ruthless and wanting more'' that Stewie is so keen for the batsmen to adopt. I certainly understand and support that. Whether it means anyone should be dropped is perhaps another matter but I've no issue with the threat being there. Burns, currently averaging under 22, might in particular care to notice it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 May 2016, 8:24 pm

Sam Curran played for the 2nd XI in their t20 double header today so he must be available again?

Also Azhar dusted off the cobwebs!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2016, 8:35 pm

Olly - seems early for all Sam's exams to be finished. He may not be at Ansari's academic level but I doubt he's just doing woodwork! Maybe he's got a few days before the next exam.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2016, 9:25 pm

Just seen the report on the seconds' t20 games today on the club website - that confirms Ben is the middle brother.

How about this for the wildest of wild thoughts - calling up Azhar for the Middlesex game??? I can't really see it after so long away from the first-class game but he ticks the box of keeping it tight that MDV and Stewie are after. Would probably be ruled out anyway for blowing the catering budget if he and Ravioli were tucking in together! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 May 2016, 1:55 am

Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 13 May 2016, 11:52 am

guildfordbat wrote:Just seen the report on the seconds' t20 games today on the club website - that confirms Ben is the middle brother.

Ah shucks. Going by strict Blackadder referencing that should give us.

Tom Curran - Pitt the younger
Ben Curran - Pitt the embryo
Sam Curran - Pitt the glint in the milkmans eye

I do quite like Simons suggestion of Bun for Curran T and Baby Face is a very likable moniker for Sam.

I also agree about limiting Sams involvement and work load this season where possible, especially in CC games. He is only 17 at the end of the day. However, if available for Middlesex I would select him. Bottom line is that we need a CC win before Sanga goes away and with the current injuries his extra nip and left arm angle would be a very welcome addition.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2016, 8:27 pm

Following my post last night about the batting being frustrating, Spills quotes Stewie in today's Surrey Ad: ''We have to turn 80s and 110s into 180s and bowl well in all three sessions. That's what is needed in Division One.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 May 2016, 8:44 pm

Sam Curran is playing for Wellington vs Marlborough tomorrow...would suggest that means he won't be involved against Middlesex
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2016, 8:53 pm

Good research to find that out, Olly.

The first team squad normally have a morning training session on the day immediately before a CC match. I'm sure Sam would be with them if there was a chance of him being involved against Middlesex.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Tue 17 May 2016, 1:58 am

What has happened to Surrey's batting? Yikes

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 May 2016, 9:06 am

Per Spills today - Rampaul definitely out of the CC game at Lancs starting on Sunday although Dunn might make the trip. Position concerning Ansari's comeback from his latest thumb injury ''remains uncertain'' which, I'm pretty sure, also rules him out of the Lancs game.

Dernbach is awaiting results of scans on stress fractures to his back which will determine his timetable for return. Stewie has previously mentioned the end of this month as a possibility although I guess any comeback would start with a second team game. Dernbach was doing some fitness training on the Oval outfield during Monday lunchtime when I was there. I'm no medical or fitness expert but he looked as if he might still hold his own against the Corporal on a Parkrun! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 24 May 2016, 10:32 pm

Hearing rumours Zaf is hoping to be fit for Saturday
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 May 2016, 12:16 am

Olly - you probably saw a tweet today from MDV referring to Ansari and saying ''hopefully back soon''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 25 May 2016, 12:36 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh only one #itk allowed on this forum Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 May 2016, 12:41 am

Sorry, JimBob - bit of cheating there using this interweb thing. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 25 May 2016, 7:01 am

I saw a tweet from Guildfords favourite Lizzie Ammon!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 May 2016, 8:56 am

Probably something she overheard in the players' canteen while trying to order her lunch of Argentinian foraged mushrooms and hummus.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 May 2016, 10:21 am

Must be careful not to spills too much but this is what I've picked up this morning.

Ansari is set to play in tonight's t20. If he gets through that with no problems, he'll be in the team for the CC match at Taunton starting on Saturday. As we know, Burns isn't in tonight's squad. However, he hasn't been ruled out of the Somerset game - whether he plays in that will depend on further tests. Sam Curran definitely though won't be involved against Somerset - even though it'll be half-term, he's got more exams soon after and so will be revising.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 May 2016, 10:54 pm

Well I suppose the only way is up from this week eh lads

It's no excuse, but we seem to be having the worst luck with injuries this season - another two tonight...surely it's gotta stop soon! Guildford will be padding up if it continues! Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 May 2016, 7:52 am

You cheeky nipper, Oliver! About time I started repeating the story about me batting out the last over against an Ashes winning bowler! Very Happy

Meanwhile, Spills confirms in today's Surrey Ad that there there'll be no Ravioli in Somerset. The rest of his article seems to tally with my post yesterday. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 30 May 2016, 6:35 pm

Can we change the name of this thread to "Surrey County Cricket Chokers - 2016 pathetic bottling season" thread plz
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 02 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

Thread for the sussex game up tomorrow afternoon chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:38 pm

Former Surrey paceman George Edwards has started this year's t20 well for Lancs. 9 wickets to his name so far, just 1 behind the tournament's leading wicket taker Joe Leach (Worcs).

It'll be interesting to see what Lancs and Edwards do at the end of this season when his 2 year contract is up. Despite his t20 success (he was also a member of the Lancs side that won the competition in 2015), he still hasn't played a Championship match for the Red Rose county. Whatever happens, I don't see a return to the Oval - there was talk of attitude issues when he was released.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Jun 2016, 9:51 am

Mark Footitt plays for Surrey 2nd XI today, along with Sibley, Harinath and Foakes

Wow! Thought he was meant to be out until like August....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:37 pm

An unbeaten century for Sibley and unbeaten half century for Burke sees Surrey 2nd XI cruise to victory by 7 wickets against Sussex in 50 over match.

Kapil took four wickets in the Sussex innings, but Burke was expensive.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

Foakes did himself no favours with that innings

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:17 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mark Footitt plays for Surrey 2nd XI today, along with Sibley, Harinath and Foakes

Yeah, I was surprised about Footitt being back at this stage. When I spoke briefly to Alec Stewart (sorry, Corporal! Wink ) at Guildford CC about a month ago, he didn't know when Footitt would be back but certainly gave the impression that it would be for longer. I'm definitely not itk about this next bit (ok, JimBob?! Smile ) but there are fairly strong suggestions that Footitt will play in tomorrow's RL50 game against Somerset. Strange how injuries have impacted and things worked out - Footitt's signing was intended predominantly for red ball cricket.

Apparently Dernbach said the other day on Sky (I didn't see it) that he should be back playing in a fortnight. Although Dernbach is not a fans' favourite, I reckon Stewie and MDV will be pleased to have him available as an option; particularly someone to keep it tight, dry up the runs and apply pressure as they continually emphasise.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:41 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mark Footitt plays for Surrey 2nd XI today, along with Sibley, Harinath and Foakes

Yeah, I was surprised about Footitt being back at this stage. When I spoke briefly to Alec Stewart (sorry, Corporal! Wink ) at Guildford CC about a month ago, he didn't know when Footitt would be back but certainly gave the impression that it would be for longer. I'm definitely not itk about this next bit (ok, JimBob?! Smile ) but there are fairly strong suggestions that Footitt will play in tomorrow's RL50 game against Somerset. Strange how injuries have impacted and things worked out - Footitt's signing was intended predominantly for red ball cricket.

Apparently Dernbach said the other day on Sky (I didn't see it) that he should be back playing in a fortnight. Although Dernbach is not a fans' favourite, I reckon Stewie and MDV will be pleased to have him available as an option; particularly someone to keep it tight, dry up the runs and apply pressure  as they continually emphasise.

Dernbach has always been an excellent performer for us in the white ball stuff and should come straight into the first team. In the CC stuff, he can do the 'keeping it tight' role at least as well as Pillans, and should chip in with a wicket or two as well, even if he's not going to win any matches by himself.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:02 am

guildfordbat wrote: When I spoke briefly to Alec Stewart (sorry, Corporal! Wink ) at Guildford CC about a month ago...
 Guildford - this site would be nothing without your tips from inside the stable. Very Happy Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Just announced the same 13 for tomorrow - let's see what new way they can find to lose this one! Rolling Eyes

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

Does anyone know how long Ravioli is out for?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:47 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Just announced the same 13 for tomorrow - let's see what new way they can find to lose this one! Rolling Eyes

Yeah, no new players although 14 were named last time - Burkey canned from the previous squad. Contrary to my earlier post, Footitt doesn't get a call up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:49 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Does anyone know how long Ravioli is out for?!

Goochie - I don't know but there's a members' forum at the Oval tomorrow which I'm attending. I'll try to ask for an update on injuries and A levels!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 08 Jun 2016, 11:39 am

Thanks guildford!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 09 Jun 2016, 2:43 pm

Unable to blag any more drinks off the Corporal and his mates at the Oval, so back home now. Wink

Injury update from Stewie at yesterday's forum meeting:
Rampaul - expected to be in the squad for tonight [now confirmed] and should play in the CC match at home to Notts starting on Sunday week. Described as ''outstanding'' when he has played.
Footitt - should play in the 3 day second eleven game at Warks starting on Monday as part of his comeback from injury.
Dunn - hamstring issue. Not too serious but probably out for a couple more weeks.
Dernbach - now bowling in the nets and not far away from being back.
Azhar - calf has ''blown up'', will take some time given his age.
Tom Curran - ''he doesn't believe in injuries'' but Stewie would like to rest him for one match when he can, thinking about protecting him for the future.
Meaker - was ''an idiot not to wear a box'' but is fine now and bowling very fast as he did in the winter.
Roy - got a wrist injury at the World Cup which has impacted him a bit and led to him missing the last CC match.
Sam Curran - not mentioned although I think his exams must almost be finished by now.

Other comments:
* I asked about Batty bringing Pillans back to bowl at the death at Taunton. Stewie said I wasn't the first to do so and that it was ''a gut feeling or hunch'' of the captain to do so. Stewie added that he supported the captain although - perhaps pointedly - did not say that he would have done the same thing.

* I also asked about Burns - and not Ansari - getting the vice-captaincy. Stewie praised Burns for his contribution on and off the field but also acknowledged that supporters might have expected it to go to Ansari. Stewie was again characteristically open and honest (which is why I like him a lot) saying that Ansari wasn't chosen as he already has enough to do with his batting, bowling and potential development as an England player and then added that it didn't mean Ansari wouldn't be a future Surrey captain.

* MDV has been ''outstanding, hand on heart''. He has ''big shoes to fill'' replacing Ford but ''he's up there''. Stewie added that once the players cross the white line, it is up to them - ''We have not played well enough for long enough.'' Stewie particularly drew attention to the batting and referred to our scoring 16 fifties but only 3 hundreds. In his words, ''Fifties don't win you matches.'' [Olly - that's what I was harping on about when I had a sulk the other day.]

* The effort and work rate of Pillans was commended. Stewie emphasised he was playing more and earlier than anticipated - ''stick with him for now'' was urged.

* In conclusion, ''we are not where we wanted to be or anticipated to be''. We can still turn things around in the remaining 9 CC matches but, unlike in Division Two, we can't afford to have a bad session and then expect to catch up. The requirement was ''better, smarter, more disciplined cricket.''

Stewie came over extremely well, sorry if I haven't conveyed why he did. I always find him very refreshing. Nothing is off the agenda and he'll speak his mind but normally politely and with a touch of humour. When he arrived at the meeting, the audience clapped - his first remark was , ''I didn't expect any applause today!''. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 09 Jun 2016, 4:10 pm

cheers guildford thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 09 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

Great stuff again guildford, thanks a lot for that

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 09 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

Thanks for that excellent report Guildford - also good to catch up with you yesterday.  Very Happy  Even if the Surrey performance probably only merited 3/10

Hope the carpet in Long Room has dried out since I tipped half pint of my golden hen over it! Sad

I wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear in the near future that Azhar has retired.  The guy's already 41 and I guess that (like Ramps a few years back) he'll find that - try as he might - the body's powers of recovery get slower and slower.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 10 Jun 2016, 9:51 am

I'll let JimBob do the honours and put up the the thread - he's more than earned that right Very Happy - but just to flag that Davies is not in the 14 man squad for the t20 clash at Taunton tonight. No explanation given or indeed any reference to his omission on the Club website.

Based on what I've seen this season, no complaints at all from me.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun 2016, 12:32 pm

Per Spills in the latest Surrey Ad - Sam will miss the RL50 game against Sussex at Guildford on Tuesday because of A-levels.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Jun 2016, 9:39 am

Footitt, Kapil, Solanki, the Baron, Burger Van and young Conor McKerr all play for a very strong looking 2nd XI today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2016, 10:32 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Footitt, Kapil, Solanki, the Baron, Burger Van and young Conor McKerr all play for a very strong looking 2nd XI today

No Burke though - suggests he'll take Sam's place at Guildford tomorrow, at least in the squad if not the eleven.

This 2nd XI game is being played against Warks at the CNW (Coventry & North Warwickshire) ground. As a Coventry lad myself, I played there as a colt in the late '60s and early '70s. Sadly though, unable to give the Corporal any 'names' from then Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 13 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Footitt, Kapil, Solanki, the Baron, Burger Van and young Conor McKerr all play for a very strong looking 2nd XI today

Sorry to see no Interesting among them, though. He's not played well this year, being as careless as many others by getting a start then getting out. It would have been nice to see him given the chance to remember how to have the mental discipline to put together a big score.

PS: this is exactly the kind of situation where I felt VS would be worth his weight in gold as second team captain: drawing on his huge experience to help others (re)discover their mojo. Alas, I still await my consultancy cheque for having been the first to suggest this publicly last year... Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

Simon - as regards Interesting, we'll have to see if he's in the squad for the Guildford game. It'll be very odd if he's not involved with either team this week.

PS I'm sure your consultancy cheque will be in the post!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:36 am

Looks like we're going to be struggling to get eleven for the Championship match against Notts at the Oval starting on Sunday!

According to Spills, Footitt is regarded as ''doubtful'' after having a setback following his long lay-off from a side injury. Sibley still suffering from a back strain although Stewie is ''hopeful'' he will recover in time. Roy and Wilson away on international duty.

No mention of Sam Curran's availability although I would imagine he'll be in the exam room some time next week and so not playing.

Maybe go with:
Burns
Harinath
Sanga
Davies
Sibley / Kapil
Ansari
Foakes
T Curran
Batty
Meaker
Rampaul.

Pillans and Burke on the bench.

Dernbach was on the outfield with the players before the start at Guildford this week. Shouldn't be too long before he's back although I would expect he'll play for the seconds first of all.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next