The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+10
Strings Philander
GSC
SimonofSurrey
kingdaveeagle
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
LondonTiger
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
14 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

AND WE'RE BACK Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR OPENING SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE AT TRENT BRIDGE STARTING ON SUNDAY.
Mark Footitt and Ravi Rampaul are both named in a Surrey Championship squad for the first time and Jason Roy is included in the squad having returned from the World T20 with England.
Rory Burns has been appointed the official Vice Captain for the 2016 season.
There is no place in the squad for james burke or Dominic sibley while jade dernbach,stuart meaker and son of boris remain on the treatment table.
The Surrey Squad to play Nottinghamshire in the Specsavers County Championship at Trent Bridge on Sunday April 10th, Monday April 11th, Tuesday April 12th and Wednesday April 13th :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Arun Harinath
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
tough to call the two to miss out so i'll go for wilson and dunn
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by king_carlos Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm guessing that Di Venuto will be telling the batsmen that they now just need to approach this the same as they would batting first on day 1.

- In the first session worry about little but blunting the new ball, keeping the scoreboard slowly ticking over and not losing wickets. Try to get to lunch only one down.

- In the middle session wait for the change bowlers to be used more then start accelerating with middle order players using their stroke play to build on the platform

It's a real opportunity for Burns and Harinath to cement their place at the top before Zaf returns.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by GSC Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Seam department well disciplined. Fielding ok, but some chances went down. Not sure this pitch is that tough to bat on, though TB always swings, probably be tougher this time round.

Surrey just have to set a target of batting the day. If they can manage that, they can reassess what would be awkward.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:33 am

Morning all! Hope everyone's well
Great start in both disciplines - but the bowlers have really let us down. Bowling first at Trent Bridge on the first day of the season and going for 446 is appalling. Hopefully this heavy defeat is the kick up the pants we deserve to realise the work needed in this Division, if not, this is going to be a long 'summer'

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:28 am

Hiya Goochie - great to have you back. Now we're even more solid as Church would say! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

Morning probably wiped out today. Probably justifies Reads decision to bowl again, gives his bowler some rest, when they get on, conditions might help swing and less time in the game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 am

Think there's meant to be some rain about tomorrow. On our showing in the first two days, we certainly don't deserve a draw but it might still be possible. Have to try for it anyway.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:53 am

On and off apparently. Though conditions should favor us when on
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:54 am

Inspection at 1:25
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am

Should be fine this afternoon. Early lunch as suspected
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Players warming up so looking promising.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:29 pm

14.00 start Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:08 pm

And Burns falls LBW almost straight away... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Nice start for Ball. Few more to make up for lost time would be wonderful
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Award now if harinath does well will he miss out for son of Boris?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:18 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Award now if harinath does well will he miss out for son of Boris?

Surely early season it'd make sense for Zaf to come in for Batty?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Judging by the text updates it seems that Sanga is in typically fluent form - is anyone listening into the radio commentary who can expand?

Sam Curran may not be available for the next game after this so Zaf would likely come in for Pitt the even younger still. Roy spent most of last year batting at 6 in CC cricket so 5 is a move up. Zaf at 5, Roy at 6 and Foakes at 7 would look more stable.

Then if a 4th seamer was wanted one could be plucked from the battalion, probably to replace Batty.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 pm

50 partnership between Sanga and Baron
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm

50 for kumar clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:41 pm

50 off 62 balls for Sanga
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Kumar is really putting his foot down. Showing his experience and forcing Notts to rethink their plans.

The Baron is playing a sensible foil to his stroke play as well it seems.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi Carlos and all - just tuned into the commentary. As the scoreboard suggests, both said to be playing well. Sounds like Sanga is the more fluent of the two but the Baron still prepared to play aggressively when the opportunity arises. The outfield is apparently slow from the earlier rain which has kept our scoring rate down a bit (contrast that with all Notts' boundaries on day one).

Glorious weather in my neck of the woods but gloomy and chilly at Trent Bridge. Light could be a factor before all the scheduled overs are bowled today.

Anyway, fine effort so far by these two.

Availability and selection for the next game will be intriguing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 pm

100 partnership clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Good afternoon guildford,

100 partnership up between Sanga and Baron.

Surrey really need both these guys to still be here in 20 minutes for the tea break.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:56 pm

50 for the baron : clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Sanga taking Patel downtown and showing him the ropes

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Luke Fletcher on commentary is fantastic. Laugh

If he gets frustrated with a lack of CC opportunities again then I'd happily have him back at The Oval anytime.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Pleasant surprise to come in and find Surrey at 154 - 1. clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Tea 58 behind could we posibly win it Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi again Carlos - yep, thought exactly the same about Fletch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 pm

If Sanga and Baron can get Surrey to even with them without another down then the game opens up a bit.

Surreys next 3 can score quickly but are also capable of silly mistakes under pressure. Hopefully we get through a decent number of overs after tea as an evening session of day 3 with both sides looking to push the game on is usually a very enjoyable point in a county championship game.

Read will be telling Notts that they have a long batting order so shouldn't fear a day 4 chase.

I expect both sides will come back out with a positive mind set. Problem for Surrey is that if an early wicket goes down the pressure is all back on them, especially if it's Sanga.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:29 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Tea  58 behind could we posibly win it Wink

Stranger things have happened but I would still happily take the draw.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Sanga goes to his first ball after tea without adding to his 83.

The worst possible start for Surrey. Sad

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Drat it!

Read snaffles Sanga and continues his usual pesky form against Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:43 pm

mad mad mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Ok, JimBob, rearrange these three words to form a usual Surrey phrase -

COMING OFF WHEELS mad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Sounds like Steve Davies is paying the penalty giving interviews about playing for England again! steam

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:46 pm

Surreys only two batsmen with significant first class experience above Div 2 level both gone in quick succession.

Time for Roy to prove me wrong as to my lingering doubts about his technique and temperament in the longer form.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Good knock from Sanga, followed by a Davies failure leaves us in a bad position again.

Need Roy/Foakes to come in, and score runs to get us up above Notts quickish

Not the best start to the season from Third Degree and Interesting. Neither have furthered any potential england claims this game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Ok, JimBob, rearrange these three words to form a usual Surrey phrase -

COMING OFF WHEELS mad
Cry Cry Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Roy has succeeded in scoring more 'non-boundary' runs than last innings with a single. Laugh clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:09 pm

The Baron is sounding increasingly fluent - coming Arun, make it count!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Scores are level
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:27 pm

It's gone so quickly that I missed it but 50 partnership for Roy and Harinath as well.

Harinath onto 84 with a crunched 4 through cover then a short ball splatted away for another 4.

The Baron is doing well to get boundaries away to keep the board ticking but could do with rotating the strike a bit more just to prevent pressure building. Only a small gripe given how well he is playing but something I've thought is a weakness of his game in the past.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Jason please calm down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Right on cue steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Why do we want him to calm down? He scores runs quickly, just how he naturally plays
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Olly wrote:Why do we want him to calm down? He scores runs quickly, just how he naturally plays
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Le Roi adds another score in the 20/30s at more than a run a ball.

I think he's a huge talent and a player I really enjoy watching play - his clips through the leg side and straight driving are fantastic at times. Until he further develops his technique and learns some shot selection he will remain a guy who occasionally scores spectacularly but usually against poor attacks on roads. A score of substance, under pressure, on day 3 against Notts at Trent Bridge needs to be more than 37 from 36 balls.

If he wants to be more than a one day specialist he needs to turn that start into so much more than that.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Baron on 99 Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 pm

Yessssss 100 for harinath clap clap clap Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next